Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair and their cancellations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Just checked my credit card.
    Chargeback money has arrived. Took about a month from when I applied for it.

Now ive flights in the summer with them that I wont be taking. Probably never get the money back for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

troyzer wrote: »
    40% of flights but 90% of the network.

They've said that they're prioritising the restoration of the network over adding extra flights for popular routes.

Dublin to Athens is only ran twice a week so it seems very likely my flight will go ahead.

I doubt my travel insurance is going to cover it. Looks like I'll be **** out of luck. Which of course is why Ryanair are doing it.

You're probably right. Ryanair can probably see that forward bookings on peak summer travel was high and they can still make a profit on certain flights so they'll pick and choose which flights to cancel to ensure refunds will be given on loss making flights only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

IngazZagni wrote: »
    You're probably right. Ryanair can probably see that forward bookings on peak summer travel was high and they can still make a profit on certain flights so they'll pick and choose which flights to cancel to ensure refunds will be given on loss making flights only.

Miserable bastards.

There's literally nothing I can do.

This was actually a re-booked flight because they cancelled an earlier flight on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

So there's a new problem now.

Ryanair are restoring 90% of their network from July on. I have flights to Athens in mid July that cost me just shy of €400.

This flight might be going ahead then, but I can't realistically go because of the quarantine on either side.

What can I do?

Claim from your insurance. It’s against government advice to travel

adam88 wrote: »

I have Revolut travel insurance, I'm not sure if it covers it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭vandriver

adam88 wrote: »
    I had cover in a click,and that didnt cover any costs of the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Having resigned myself to the fact that im not getting a refund, I opted for the voucher...no sign of any vouchers now anywhere! No email! No one to contact!!

What is the story? Anyone have any luck with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Have two weekend breaks booked for June in the UK and also a weekend at the end of August for a wedding in Spain that’s now been postponed until next year.

Speaking with Ryanair last month they advised to wait and see if my UK flights are cancelled - unlikely at this stage.

When I check the manage booking it’s giving me an option to rebook the flights to Spain and charging me nearly €300 for the privilege.

Have I any change of getting money back if I initiate a chargeback on my credit card? Never had to try before so not sure of the process and whether I’d be eligible.

I can suck up the lost UK flights at a push but over €500 on flights to Spain I can’t stomach at the moment.

Thanks for any advise/experience in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Have two weekend breaks booked for June in the UK and also a weekend at the end of August for a wedding in Spain that’s now been postponed until next year.

Speaking with Ryanair last month they advised to wait and see if my UK flights are cancelled - unlikely at this stage.

When I check the manage booking it’s giving me an option to rebook the flights to Spain and charging me nearly €300 for the privilege.

Have I any change of getting money back if I initiate a chargeback on my credit card? Never had to try before so not sure of the process and whether I’d be eligible.

I can suck up the lost UK flights at a push but over €500 on flights to Spain I can’t stomach at the moment.

Thanks for any advise/experience in advance

You can't initiate a chargeback for something that hasn't happened yet.

You can either wait and hope that Ryanair cancel the flight, rebook for a different date or claim on your travel insurance if you can't go due to government advice/lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

In my experience the phone people try to put you off making a chargeback. Once applied for though they deal with it pretty quickly

I rang PTSB today and completed a charge back request over the phone for 2 sets of flights for March and May that have been cancelled with Ryanair.

The lad in the call centre took all the details and told me the money should be back in my account in the next week or so.

He said Ryanair will have 30 days to dispute it and if they do, PTSB will take the money back and my case would go to their visa claims dept for further review.

Almost sounded too good to be true :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

You can't initiate a chargeback for something that hasn't happened yet.

You can either wait and hope that Ryanair cancel the flight, rebook for a different date or claim on your travel insurance if you can't go due to government advice/lockdown.

Hi,

Thanks so much. I didn’t realise I’d have to wait until afterwards to initiate.

Well if UK have a two-week quarantine and Spain also, I won’t be going anywhere as they’re all Friday-Sunday trips.

Thanks again.

I rang PTSB today and completed a charge back request over the phone for 2 sets of flights for March and May that have been cancelled with Ryanair.

The lad in the call centre took all the details and told me the money should be back in my account in the next week or so.

He said Ryanair will have 30 days to dispute it and if they do, PTSB will take the money back and my case would go to their visa claims dept for further review.

Almost sounded too good to be true :eek:

Good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

From a consumer column in the Guardian:

Meanwhile, readers who bought flight tickets, but paid using PayPal rather than a credit card, have reported getting full refunds for cancelled flights. SH writes: “I supplied the correspondence from Ryanair – the cancellation plus original email offering a refund and subsequent one offering a voucher – and I received notification that the money was back in my PayPal credit account within a week. Hope this helps others in the same boat.”

Link: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/may/12/it-was-no-holiday-when-sainsburys-took-a-loan-payment-after-it-said-it-wouldnt

From a consumer column in the Guardian:

Meanwhile, readers who bought flight tickets, but paid using PayPal rather than a credit card, have reported getting full refunds for cancelled flights. SH writes: “I supplied the correspondence from Ryanair – the cancellation plus original email offering a refund and subsequent one offering a voucher – and I received notification that the money was back in my PayPal credit account within a week. Hope this helps others in the same boat.”

Link: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/may/12/it-was-no-holiday-when-sainsburys-took-a-loan-payment-after-it-said-it-wouldnt

I see Ryanair removing PayPal in future as a result. They won't like that one bit

• Registered Users Posts: 10,107 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I see Ryanair removing PayPal in future as a result. They won't like that one bit

I've been fighting with PayPal for 6 weeks and counting and can confirm that they are not refunding everyone.

Eddie Wilson was on the vox yesterday and said anyone who failed a temperature check would be considered a no-show.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Eddie Wilson was on the vox yesterday and said anyone who failed a temperature check would be considered a no-show.

People will just take paracetamol to be sure they are under the temperature level

pc7 wrote: »
    People will just take paracetamol to be sure they are under the temperature level

Probably. It's madness really. Ryanair are treating it like the Wild West, I can't imagine they'll get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Has anyone Had any luck via the small claims court yet?
    I've submitted a claim and awaiting a response, it's for about 1000 euro.

I have considered a chargeback, but it was paid for on a ulsterbank debit card, so not sure if I will have much luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I can't imagine many people willing to purchase flights if they can be rejected at the gate due to a head cold.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

That won't do consumer confidence in booking any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Noxegon wrote: »
    I can't imagine many people willing to purchase flights if they can be rejected at the gate due to a head cold.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 82,401 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

EU now getting involved, I was expecting them to back down...

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0513/1138116-airlines-eu/

Caranica wrote: »
    I've been fighting with PayPal for 6 weeks and counting and can confirm that they are not refunding everyone.

Sad, I only have 1 that I booked through PayPal that's in process. Seems an open and **** case to me. I paid, they cancelled, they should refund.

Anything after that concerning times and vouchers is a compromise on the customers part

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Noxegon wrote: »

I think it was much more subtle than that which is why it might succeed. MO’L referrer yo them being turned away at the door to the airport, presumably by airport security. It would not be for a Ryanair to reject them, they would be no-shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Marcusm wrote: »
    I think it was much more subtle than that which is why it might succeed. MO’L referrer yo them being turned away at the door to the airport, presumably by airport security. It would not be for a Ryanair to reject them, they would be no-shows.
    I'm sure there's also going to be an airline questionnaire before boarding, there's no way Ryanair are going to leave it up to a third party to decide.

The main weak point in all of this is it relies too much on the honesty of the passenger to work. Whatever about the obvious symptoms like temperature if you woke up on the morning of your flight home from somewhere feeling under the weather and suspecting you may have early symptoms are you honestly going to declare this to the Ryanair gate staff knowing full well it will mean you'll be "treated as a no show" and abandoned to your fate with no way to get home and possibly nowhere to stay...?

I'm sure there's also going to be an airline questionnaire before boarding, there's no way Ryanair are going to leave it up to a third party to decide.

The main weak point in all of this is it relies too much on the honesty of the passenger to work. Whatever about the obvious symptoms like temperature if you woke up on the morning of your flight home from somewhere feeling under the weather and suspecting you may have early symptoms are you honestly going to declare this to the Ryanair gate staff knowing full well it will mean you'll be "treated as a no show" and abandoned to your fate with no way to get home and possibly nowhere to stay...?

Yeah too much can go against you alright.

I wonder are flight staff going to be tested everyday to make sure they are not going to be the ones on the flight spreading the virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭joeysoap

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Yeah too much can go against you alright.

I wonder are flight staff going to be tested everyday to make sure they are not going to be the ones on the flight spreading the virus?

One of the big concerns of AL crew who operate on TA flights. The just walk through, and could be on another flight within a week. They feel they should be tested. ( though no overnights any more)

joeysoap wrote: »
    One of the big concerns of AL crew who operate on TA flights. The just walk through, and could be on another flight within a week. They feel they should be tested. ( though no overnights any more)

I have a close relative who is flight crew on one of the Irish airlines.
    They were actually about to quit, but now are hanging on since the redundancies were announced which they dont want to miss out on.

If I told you what they told me you definitely wouldnt be flying :)
    I wont be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

JimmyVik wrote: »

If I told you what they told me you definitely wouldnt be flying :)
    I wont be.

you have to tell us now!

Advertisement