Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair and their cancellations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Same is after happening to me, return flight on same booking cancelled, but outward flight is still going. I have the option to cancel the return or rebook to another day. The only other day I could fly is the following day, but it will cost an extra 200 for the accommodation, plus whatever an extra day car rental costs. Will Ryanair cover costs in this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

If they're cancelling the return flights before cancelling the outbound flights it could be a ploy to frighten people into thinking their best option is to rebook instead of asking for the refund.
    If you think you're going to lose your money for the outbound sector which isn't cancelled you might be inclined to cut your losses and go for the option of rebooking the entire trip.
    The chances are they'll end up cancelling the outbound flight closer to the date anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

This question more suitable for (when we fly again thread) but its closed.

I am a bit confused as Government are saying people can only travel 5km from home.
    All the Airlines are selling flights.
    What's going on?
    I think there needs to be more clarity with this.
    Does anyone know what the actual official Government line is?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,686 ✭✭✭✭L1011

5k is for exercise and small group meetings outdoors. Nothing else. Most common mistaken belief of all the restrictions.

If you're going somewhere for a legitimate purpose there is no distance limit and never has been

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

This question more suitable for (when we fly again thread) but its closed.

I am a bit confused as Government are saying people can only travel 5km from home.
    All the Airlines are selling flights.
    What's going on?
    I think there needs to be more clarity with this.
    Does anyone know what the actual official Government line is?

Until the 20 July (phase 4), the current rules apply:

"there is a nationwide restriction on travel outside of 5 kilometres from your home, except for the reasons listed"
    "- to travel to and from work
    - to attend medical appointments
    - for vital family reasons, such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people - but excluding social family visits"
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cf...ort-and-travel

In a nutshell, you can travel only for: work, if you have a medical appointment, or chidren or parents abroad that need your assistance.

• Advertisement

otnomart wrote: »
    Until the 20 July (phase 4), the current rules apply:

"there is a nationwide restriction on travel outside of 5 kilometres from your home, except for the reasons listed"
    "- to travel to and from work
    - to attend medical appointments
    - for vital family reasons, such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people - but excluding social family visits"
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cf...ort-and-travel

In a nutshell, you can travel only for: work, if you have a medical appointment, or chidren or parents abroad that need your assistance.

I know all that but why are the Government allowing Air Travel.
    Clearly all the people flying will not be within 5km from Airport?
    It has not being clarified if people will be asked at say Dublin Airport.
    Where are you going? what is the purpose of trip?
    I may be missing some thing but it seems very confusing.
    Government advise against foreign travel, Michael O'Leary says he have 40% flights in air from July 1.
    I assume if the Government do not allow travel the cost of flight be reimbursed.
    The question by who?

Clearly all the people flying will not be within 5km from Airport?
    Being within 5KMs from the airport is not a valid reason to go to the airport and then catch a flight. The valid reasons to travel are only those above three: work, medical, or urgent family assistance.

It has not being clarified if people will be asked at say Dublin Airport.
    Where are you going? what is the purpose of trip?

I assume that they should and will be asked.
    Perhaps someone who has recently travelled on those flights still operating, can confirm which checks they have been through ?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭airbusa320

I think that is a very valid point.
    How am I allowed travel to the U.K or Spain and under current restrictions living in Kildare I cant even go to Dublin unless its for work or essential reasons.
    The government has been very quite since Ryanair announced they are to start flying from the 1st of July especially since phase for doesn't kick in till the 20th of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,686 ✭✭✭✭L1011

airbusa320 wrote: »
    How am I allowed travel to the U.K or Spain and under current restrictions living in Kildare I cant even go to Dublin unless its for work or essential reasons.
    The government has been very quite since Ryanair announced they are to start flying from the 1st of July especially since phase for doesn't kick in till the 20th of July.

If you are travelling to either of those locations for work for essentials reasons, that's how.

As for phase timing; Varadkar has already strongly hinted that if numbers continue at their current trend they'll be taking a week off each phase which would bring it to July 4th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

You can go to the UK with Ryanair from Dublin today, it never stopped

• Advertisement

You can go to the UK with Ryanair from Dublin today, it never stopped
    Yes.
    The list of the limited flight schedule is on the Ryanair website.
    From Dublin, it is basically UK airports, plus: Amsterdam, Brussels, Berlin, Cologne, Lisbon.
    Clearly, those are destinations where there could still be some essential work- related travel from Ireland (as Ireland is an island and there are no alternatives to flying or ferry).

UK of course more relevant to Irish people for medical and family emergency/assistance travel.

https://www.ryanair.com/content/dam/ryanair/help-centre-pdfs/EN-18_May_Customer_Notice-Covid19_EN.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

I accepted a voucher and haven't got it yet as far as I can tell.

Do they send another email or does it appear on my Ryanair account?

Personally i accept the 5km rule as at a local level the Government seem to be doing reasonable there there are a few clusters that it seems could have being handled better.

My point is more on say someone wants to travel abroad in mid July, the flight is running so Airline not need provide refund.
    The rule says people cannot travel to Airport if a distance away.
    There needs to be clarity on this as people will have bought very expensive flights for July so they need be allowed travel or have refund.
    I think this be bigger issue than vouchers....

troyzer wrote: »
    I accepted a voucher and haven't got it yet as far as I can tell.

Do they send another email or does it appear on my Ryanair account?

The voucher number is in the first email that you received.
    You can go ahead and use that voucher number when you are booking a new flight.
    When you get to the payment stage, you type the voucher number.

The rule says people cannot travel to Airport if a distance away.
    No.
    The rule says: people can not travel. Period.
    Except those three reasons.

From your post, it seems to me that your understanding is somewhat different, and that you understand the following: only those close to the airport can travel abroad even if the travel is not essential.
    However, that is not the case.

For starters, that would be illegal discrimination based on address.

There needs to be clarity on this as people will have bought very expensive flights for July so they need be allowed travel or have refund.
    I think this be bigger issue than vouchers....

The official Gov FAQ state that travel is not allowed until the 20 July (phase 4).
    The DFA website state as follows: "Avoid non-essential travel until further notice: The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade advises against all non-essential travel overseas until further notice. This includes Great Britain but does not apply to Northern Ireland. It also includes all travel by cruise ship."
    https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/coronavirus/

Could you contact a Consumer Association asking: what are your rights when your flight is going ahead while the Gov does not allow you to travel and the DFA advise you against it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

The voucher number is in the first email that you received.
    You can go ahead and use that voucher number when you are booking a new flight.
    When you get to the payment stage, you type the voucher number.

Sound.

No.
    The rule says: people can not travel. Period.
    Except those three reasons.

From your post, it seems to me that your understanding is somewhat different, and that you understand the following: only those close to the airport can travel abroad even if the travel is not essential.
    However, that is not the case.

For starters, that would be illegal discrimination based on address.

The official Gov FAQ state that travel is not allowed until the 20 July (phase 4).
    The DFA website state as follows: "Avoid non-essential travel until further notice: The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade advises against all non-essential travel overseas until further notice. This includes Great Britain but does not apply to Northern Ireland. It also includes all travel by cruise ship."
    https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/coronavirus/

Could you contact a Consumer Association asking: what are your rights when your flight is going ahead while the Gov does not allow you to travel and the DFA advise you against it?

I don't think people should have to contact consumer affairs.
    There is a family of 4 beside me due to travel mid July.
    They do not know whats going on €1k+ in fares and i think it is up to Government to sort this with airlines.
    I also think its unfair of you to suggest that they should contact consumer affairs to sort this.
    My own personal view is if Government do not want people to travel they should ask airlines to refund/vouchers.
    I heard someone a week or so ago mention the SCC, i expect they be busy if this not sorted...

I don't think people should have to contact consumer affairs.
    There is a family of 4 beside me due to travel mid July.
    They do not know whats going on €1k+ in fares and i think it is up to Government to sort this with airlines.
    I also think its unfair of you to suggest that they should contact consumer affairs to sort this.
    My own personal view is if Government do not want people to travel they should ask airlines to refund/vouchers.
    I heard someone a week or so ago mention the SCC, i expect they be busy if this not sorted...

I did not write "consumer affairs", I wrote "consumer association".
    Only such association and/or a consumer rights lawyer can tell you which are your legal consumer rights in your particular case: when your flight is going ahead while the Gov does not allow you to travel and the DFA advise you against it.
    I am afraid I do not know what are your rights in this case (I am not a lawyer) so I am simply advising you to contact someone who does know.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭paddyirish23

Suppose to fly to Spain next week but got flight cancelled and offered refund, no voucher option. I took out travel insurance for the trip for the week, wondering can I get the premium back seeing as travel abroad is currently out of the question?

I did not write "consumer affairs", I wrote "consumer association".
    Only such association and/or a consumer rights lawyer can tell you which are your legal consumer rights in your particular case: when your flight is going ahead while the Gov does not allow you to travel and the DFA advise you against it.
    I am afraid I do not know what are your rights in this case (I am not a lawyer) so I am simply advising you to contact someone who does know.

You do not know what your talking about if you really think that the Government think people who booked holidays in good faith before this pandemic should have to go to a lawyer to get the monies for the trip returned for said trip.
    I did not ask anyone for advise as this is a discussion thread where people compare experiences or at least that's what i think it is.
    You seem to think people are looking for your advice, alas i have to disappoint you, if you wish to comment ok, advise no thanks.
    I expect others here have flights between now and July 20th so they will likely have views.

Regards....

• Advertisement

Suppose to fly to Spain next week but got flight cancelled and offered refund, no voucher option. I took out travel insurance for the trip for the week, wondering can I get the premium back seeing as travel abroad is currently out of the question?

Good question, i be expecting they should offer you credit towards for a later trip.
    I think car insurance companies are doing 20% but i did not hear how this will be administered...

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

Kind of saw this happening to be honest.

Ryanair have quietly started to cancel flights in July despite the fact that they plan to return to 40% capacity from the beginning of the month

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/ryanair-start-cancelling-flights-july-18287339

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

You do not know what your talking about if you really think that the Government think people who booked holidays in good faith before this pandemic should have to go to a lawyer to get the monies for the trip returned for said trip.
    I did not ask anyone for advise as this is a discussion thread where people compare experiences or at least that's what i think it is.
    You seem to think people are looking for your advice, alas i have to disappoint you, if you wish to comment ok, advise no thanks.
    I expect others here have flights between now and July 20th so they will likely have views.

Regards....

You asked what the 'actual official government line is'. You were told. You appeared not to understand it so you were 'advised' to seek information elsewhere.

Good question, i be expecting they should offer you credit towards for a later trip.
    I think car insurance companies are doing 20% but i did not hear how this will be administered...

Car insurance companies are not refunding 20%. They are refunding €35/40, many of them in the form of gift vouchers.

Shamrockj wrote: »

Ryanair have quietly started to cancel flights in July despite the fact that they plan to return to 40% capacity from the beginning of the month

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/ryanair-start-cancelling-flights-july-18287339

I think a lot of people had their hopes raised by the 'return to 40% capacity' as if that meant extra flights. It's more flights than at present but it still means cancelling 60% of July flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Yip,

I had flights booked out of Cork for 18th July, and hotel booked with Alpharooms - long story.

Anyway, received email yesterday saying that out&back flights were cancelled and apply for a refund or alternative flights - I guess I have a long road ahead.

Interesting to see the discussion about travel before the 20thJuly, as this was also in my mind and how could I recoup the hotel costs , if at all

You asked what the 'actual official government line is'. You were told. You appeared not to understand it so you were 'advised' to seek information elsewhere.

I did not ask for advise. I understand what i am doing.
    This is not where people ask for advise, it is just views/opinion, you do not seem to understand this. You should not use language like "you were told here"

I thought i would get views of people caught up with this.

I will wager that if Ryanair and other Airlines passengers are not allowed take their flights we be in the courts.
    We have a flight arriving full and leaving with people who live within 5km from Airport or emergency.
    It makes no sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Ryanair just cancelled my August flight from Barcelona.
    Cant say im disappointment.
    Will be waiting a while for a refund though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭john boye

The "despite" in that article is doing a lot of heavy lifting.

• Advertisement

I just checked Dublin-Malaga probably the busiest Ryanair route.
    They normally fly 3 round trips every day in summer.
    Now they have just one listed, 33%.....

Advertisement