Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surface Cleaning

Options
  • 21-03-2020 8:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Hey Everyone.

What type of product or ingredients do I need to look for to kill the virus off surfaces in work.
    Things like door handles and canteen tables etc?

I’m assuming products that say antibacterial aren’t good unless they contain a high percentage of alcohol? As this is a virus not a bacteria.

If the product ingredients do not state alcohol I should assume it has none?

My workplace uses these wipes and I’m concerned they are not fit for purpose.

GrimeEez® Hand & Multi Surface

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Regular cleaning will help stop germs growing. What do you use normally?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

We still use the same Cif spray we used all the time before this

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Soap and water, diluted bleach although it will stink and needs to be tested first to see if the surface can handle it, and you need gloves too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭dmc17

This new product launched by Galway company Hygeia

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Never in the history of Boards have so many threads been merged in such a short time within a single forum....

Thread merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

A couple of things:

1. It’s a virus. It, thankfully, has absolutely no ability to multiply on surfaces. It isn’t growing there. It’s just sitting there. On dry porous surfaces they’re suggesting 24h max and on colder smooth surfaces like metal up to 48h. That’s why things like handles and hand rails are risky.

Bacteria can be worse as it can actually colonise surfaces. A virus can’t do that as it has no means to exist outside a host cell.

2. It’s a tiny lipid (fat) encapsulated package of genetic material, most likely sitting in a droplet.

So basically any good detergent based cleaner should remove them very effectively.

The main thing would be to clean surfaces where people are making hand or any other body part contact with them.

Washing your hands before touching your face or any mucous membranes is also very important.

If it can enter through your eyes, I’m sure there’s a possibility it can enter though your other mucous membranes too, so probably advisable to wash your hands before going to the bathroom, especially guys, for obvious reasons as you are making contact with mucous membranes.

Your hands are the main means of transmission of this.
    Wearing gloves while out may be a good idea, especially on public transport - gripping bars etc. You need to learn how to remove them safely though.

If you think of the logic of a lockdown.

The virus can’t survive without hosts for very long (two days max).

Place the hosts far enough apart and stop touching and sneezing on each other for a while and transmission slows or stops and you’ll see a rapid reduction in infections. It just has no hosts to hop between so, it starts to die out.

That’s the logic anyway!

• Site Banned Posts: 93 ✭✭Marsden35

Good old diluted bleach. Nice and cheap.

Remember to wipe down your shopping if you're particularly keen to avoid infection. Chances are small of catching it this way, but I wipe down everything with bleachy cloth and leave non perishables out for a few days so any traces of corona f*ck off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Hey Everyone.

What type of product or ingredients do I need to look for to kill the virus off surfaces in work.

I’m assuming products that say antibacterial aren’t good unless they contain a high percentage of alcohol? As this is a virus not a bacteria.

Alcohol is a default antibacterial because it's cheap and evaporates quickly. But it's not as good as regular spray on surface cleaner, as long as the cleaning guidelines are followed (spray, wait five minutes, wipe). Bleach or dilute bleach works well too.

Alcohol is cheap and nasty and is really only good as a hand sanitizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

oops my mistake,

surf Flash surface cleaner?? say it kills 99.9% of bacteria no mention of viruses

this one

fryup wrote: »
    surf surface cleaner?? say it kills 99.9% of bacteria no mention of viruses

What’s that?

• Site Banned Posts: 93 ✭✭Marsden35

surf surface cleaner?? say it kills 99.9% of bacteria no mention of viruses

Don't know that brand, but most of these will work. Even regular soap will work with elbow grease. Corona is not very resistant on surfaces.

Just use bleach. Cheap and corona doesn't stand a chance against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Question from someone who wouldn't be obsessive about cleaning. I just wash my hands when I come in from work.

Speaking to someone I know today and they put their clothes into the machine and head straight to shower before they will see their partner, who has diabetes. I would have said that was a bit ott.

But got me thinking

I work shifts in a factory.
    On nights when I come home I would get into my son's bed as it's the best room for darkness and quietness for sleeping during the day. He then uses it again that night. This goes on for 4 nights.

As I said, the only cleaning I would do beforehand are my hands. Should I take a quick shower too?

He had a history of asthma, nothing too bad but more seasonal.

oops my mistake,

surf Flash surface cleaner?? say it kills 99.9% of bacteria no mention of viruses

this one

I use the. non antibacterial version of that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Dettol spray. Kills 99.9% of viruses and bacteria (according to the label).

I use it on door handles / car keys etc when I come back from being out. I brought my own bottle to the supermarket the other day to spray down the trolley handle and scanning gun. :)

I left it in the car now, so I can spray down the steering wheel and anything else I've touched when out (phone, wallet, bank card etc).

NIMAN wrote: »
    Question from someone who wouldn't be obsessive about cleaning. I just wash my hands when I come in from work.

Speaking to someone I know today and they put their clothes into the machine and head straight to shower before they will see their partner, who has diabetes. I would have said that was a bit ott.

But got me thinking

I work shifts in a factory.
    On nights when I come home I would get into my son's bed as it's the best room for darkness and quietness for sleeping during the day. He then uses it again that night. This goes on for 4 nights.

As I said, the only cleaning I would do beforehand are my hands. Should I take a quick shower too?

He had a history of asthma, nothing too bad but more seasonal.
    Are you sharing the same pillow?

Yes you should I'd guess, don't skip washing your hair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

I have a few Qs. Sorry if any of these have been asked before.

Can you clean Bank cards with Dettol wipes or bleach products. Would it damage the surface of the magnetic strip or chip?

Should deliveries of packets and tins be wiped down and then left for 2-3 days before use? Is just washing fresh veg sufficient or should it also be left for a day or two before use?

How should tech products like TV remotes, phones and TV be cleaned.

Thanks for any advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Alcohol wipes would be safer on cards and electronics. Water based wet wipes could do damage.

• Advertisement

Xertz wrote: »
    Alcohol wipes would be safer on cards and electronics. Water based wet wipes could do damage.

Thank you. I presume the Dettol wipes are water based. Is that correct.

A guide to safe shopping by Global Health Ireland.

Contains advice on how to clean bought goods.

https://globalhealth.ie/a-quick-guide-to-safe-shopping-during-the-coronavirus-covid-19-pandemic/

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Hey Everyone.

Some viruses have a fatty outer coat that they die without. Coronavirus is one such virus, thank Christ, because it's easy to kill them with anti-bacterial stuff and ordinary everyday old-fashioned soap as a result.

Any disinfectant will work. Dettol, "kitchen cleaner" from the supermarket, any one of those "kills 99% of germs DEAD" type things.

How should tech products like TV remotes, phones and TV be cleaned.

You probably never touch your TV, right? but yeah TV remote and phones, alcohol would probably be the best thing because it evaporates so fast it won't have time to seep into the electronics? wipe with a cloth with alcohol on, rubbing alcohol say... if you can get it!

You probably never touch your TV, right? but yeah TV remote and phones, alcohol would probably be the best thing because it evaporates so fast it won't have time to seep into the electronics? wipe with a cloth with alcohol on, rubbing alcohol say... if you can get it!

Thank you. I was using Dettol wipes but it did seem risky. I'll try and find Alcohol wipes if there's any left.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Thank you. I was using Dettol wipes but it did seem risky. I'll try and find Alcohol wipes if there's any left.

Ah I'd say the dettol wipes are grand, they probably won't make past the buttons. ... if they are dettol wipes designed for cleaning surfaces rather than designed for personal use. It's thankfully not a hard virus to kill, that's not the problem with it. They might still have surgical spirits in the chemist, you can use a j-cloth with that on it. Then afterwards wash the j-cloth with soap and warm water and you can reuse it.

Is there enough hand sanitizer being made that the breweries are making it available to the general public yet?

Those are fine but wipe again with a piece of kitchen roll or something to remove any residue

It's why it's much more important to establish a good routine for not bringing any contamination into the house, wash your hands and change your clothes and shoes immeadiately, try to keep 'outside' stuff to a certain area where it comes into as little contact as possible with everything inside. Then you won't have to clean everything

Should milk cartons be wiped down before going into fridge?

Advertisement