Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,948 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's lager sold in cans found discarded down a boreen.

Being serious I'm gonna assume they are going for a farmhouse ale type vibe. Or maybe it's unfiltered or something.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'm guessing the spelt and the oats, which wouldn't be allowed under the German purity law, make it seem farmhouse-like: using whatever grains are to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've so far spotted Re-Turn logos on Galway Bay and, more oddly to be this early, Vocation (from England) cans.

Plenty of stuff with 09-11/24 BBEs without them - not that it'll be of benefit to the brewery flogging them off, but I can forsee a lot of imminently illegal to sell cans being sold at MUP in a few moths.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

If it's the same people who are supposed to be enforcing all the already-illegal cans out there, be grand.

Do the Vocation cans have an address inside the EU printed on them?

Lucky Saint non alcoholic beer are after moving into the Irish market through Tesco and Dunnes after a very successful first few years in the UK.

It's a recent start up from London contract brewed out of Germany so whether you wanna call it a craft brewery or brand is up to yourself.

• Advertisement

(after retrieving it from the recycling pile)

Yes, amazingly. Has "EU:" and their Dutch importer listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,810 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tiniest / hardest to read print I've ever seen on a beer can though

The other can I bought on Monday was May Contain Sixpence, no Re-Turn symbol on that though.

Presumably the brewer still has to pay up for these labelled cans released early?

Must remember not to crush this one after I drink it 😁

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

My one was... bah, I'm not going back to the sodding bin again, but the mass market IPA and had the same teeny tiny text.

Anyone tried Kinnegar Low Tide?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Yeah. It's a little thin but more interesting than most other 0.5 products.

• Advertisement

Other half opened one last night and asked me to taste, we weren't sure if it was gone off or not which is really not a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I believe Low Tide had a recipe tweak and it is now 1% ABV, as opposed to the 0.5% previously

https://www.kinnegarbrewing.ie/stories/low-tide

The next Brewers At Play is due to be a low alcohol (1%) IPA.

https://x.com/kinnegarbrewing/status/1736058802208661773?s=46&t=wyBQBLlE_5FkH__21DnApg

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Tinter Box

I wonder will we see Irish breweries offering discounts to shift beer that doesn’t have the new recycling/return systems built in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

There's a transition period, producers can sell non-logo stock to distributors/retailers until 16th March and by 1st June all stock must be logoed so there's time there to sell through. The larger retailers will have their own rules of course for stock management, some are not taking non-logo stock from now already.

I can guarantee that some retailers are going to start asking for the deposit on every container long before all their stock is logoed up. Teething problem that can't last beyond June but will be annoying.

And not something a random check out staff member will be able to fix either so they're not the ones to complain to

• Registered Users Posts: 9,435 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think I saw Ballykilcavan say in the autumn that they would only be bottling some of their line up to avoid issues.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

The barcode system is a bit complicated for producers but if retailers have their POS systems up to date for the scheme then it shouldn't incorrectly charge if they can't get the deposit back, but for smaller/independent retailers I can see how that might not be the case.

For example - an existing product gets a new barcode for DRS stock - only the new barcodes that are scanned will charge the deposit and therefore can be returned to consumer. International use barcodes have allowances now as well for the transition period, as long as the barcode is registered, logo or no logo.

Worth noting that the deposit needs to be listed as a separate line item on the display price and receipt (in person or online stores), it can't be bundled into the total price displayed. We'll see how that goes in practice!

Tried another one, distinct whiff of cat wee off it.

Surely there is a different UPC number on the product with logo as opposed to the same product without.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭10-10-20

The Simcoe hops style of cat-pee, or the TCP variant?

• Advertisement

Yes, but I expect messing / incompetence (more likely the latter than the former really) nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,132 ✭✭✭squonk

Dawned on me how stupid this scheme is. Now I scrunch up my cans and pop them in the recycling. If I want to turn in my cans for the DRS I now have to Neri them intact and revenge to bring them shopping with me. Sounds like a scheme vividly asked for

Its the same as used in multiple other EU countries, multiple US states and basically the same (but with computers) as what we had here til the 70s.

There's people over in AH/CA claiming older people won't ever understand the scheme when they pretty much lived through the exact same thing, before it was decided that binning plastics was a better idea.

I used RVMs in Oregon in 2014 on a basically identical system; and higher capacity ones with Germans's awkward system back in December. It isn't hard.

What was the 70s system here ?

I know people used to bring tonic bottles to pubs but I never knew we had a deposit return scheme for recycling.

Pretty much every glass bottle and sometimes even jars had a deposit element to their pricing; every shop of any scale handled returns - entirely manually. Companies that didn't operate that system would have "no deposit - no return" on the label or even embossed in the glass. I remember an Irish soft drinks brand still having that on their labels in the 90s, possibly TK, and on 2L PET bottles that were never returned!

It was for reuse first, recycling second (heavily worn or damaged bottles would break on cleaning, that glass would be recycled).

Germany has a deposit rate for reusable glass, its 8c I believe, but they have to go back to where sold them which is a faff - albeit exactly how it used to bed.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I see my local Spar has one of the new machines ready to go, but how will the refund scheme work? If I return bottles and cans in the Spar, will I have to use the refund voucher there or can I use it in any shop that has a machine?

The shops own the machines so the voucher is tied to the shop.

You can get cash for the voucher and spend that anywhere nearly anywhere.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Cheers, I didn't realise that the vouchers could be exchanged for cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

The price of all glass bottles for minerals/soda (if not more? I don't think it used to include milk bottles) used to have a deposit included. Don't know when it stopped. Giving away my age, but in the early 80s, getting the deposits back funded our sweets and comics buying during the school holidays - especially when we found a way in to a local building site that didn't have a security guard. We'd clear it out of bottles every evening, bring them to a local shop, and get the equivalent of our weekly pocket money! Next day, rinse and repeat.

• Advertisement

The former.

Didn't taste too objectionable but nothing to like about it either. Will stick to Peroni when I want a 0.0-1%

Advertisement