Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

irish_goat wrote: »

Anywhere selling smaller orders of this? Would like some but 24 is a few to many

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

matrim wrote: »
    Anywhere selling smaller orders of this? Would like some but 24 is a few to many
    I bought mine in 57 The Headline. Any of the usual good off licences should have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

irish_goat wrote: »

Yeah got 24 off them 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mike_cork

The gentleman behind beoirfinder (https://twitter.com/BeoirFinder) has passed away due to a heart attack unfortunately. Very sad.
    https://twitter.com/DOT_Brew/status/1286327877064163329

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

BeerNut wrote: »
    I was a bit disappointed by the *lack* of diversity: flavoured sour beers and IPAs and little else. ONE STOUT?!?
    FFS.

Opened my box today to put stuff in the fridge.
    Argee with this. I was disappointed with the lack of styles but there are some nice beers there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭Basq

matrim wrote: »
    Opened my box today to put stuff in the fridge.
    Argee with this. I was disappointed with the lack of styles but there are some nice beers there.
    Yeah.. gotta agree!
    One of two more stouts wouldn't have went amiss. Not a sours fan at all really.. grand to sip over an evening but find it hard to really enjoy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can anyone remember what the extra stuff in the Premium box was?

L1011 wrote: »
    Can anyone remember what the extra stuff in the Premium box was?
    There was facemasks I think.. maybe a few glasses too?

I had some vague idea of it being two glasses, two facemasks and two extra beers but it was rather late at night when I ordered it so I probably imagined it. Opened the box and its 24, two glasses and two facemasks

Glasses fit nicely in the dishwasher anyway!

And
    I have actually had one of the beers before :pac: Last weekend, new out then though.

And
    I have actually had one of the beers before :pac: Last weekend, new out then though.
    I've had the
    Kinnegar Grand Cru Hazy IPA collab
    and thought it was decent but not spectacular. Expected a lot more from it though I think.

• Advertisement

Life & Limb has been on the market here for years, and of course Hopstravaganza was out last year too.

There is absolutely zero chance of actually necking the drinks in time in the firing order if the pace is going to stay like this.

Wasn't intending on drinking all 24 tonight anyway, as I rather like living; and it looks like my assistant won't be turning up due to the weather (mate was going to drop in after a bike ride, that didn't happen)

Yep, I’ve no intention in keeping up with running order.

I’ve had Brewfist (really bloody good!), Trouble Brewing (bitter but as far as table beers go, not horrible!) and currently on Cloudwater (very tasty for under 4%).

Definitely intend on maybe just doing one or two an hour tops from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Was down servicing the motors there so only getting to dip into it now. Have to collect a mate and his missus now so we'll have 4 on the go to keep up the pace.

Edit: The Brewfist beer came through the Pandemic!
    www.thejournal.ie/italy-brewer-lombardy-5052753-Mar2020/

I loved the Salt Sabro I must say.. real refreshing summer day session with lots of fruit and coconut!

Might be the standout for me so far!

Not a cider fan so skipping McIvor’s!

Started at Kinnegar, the Alefarm IPA is winning hands down.

I had the Salt Sabro before the start; cause it felt coldest by then. Have gone in order so far, outright giving the cider and the Kinnegar I'd already had to my partner and sharing some of the cans also. Got to the Siren blueberry now which is... exceptionally odd.

It smells like cumin (in certain circumstances, e.g. cooking a chili) but doesn't taste of it at all. Still more drinkable than the name made me think it'd be. Someone on a review site says they're getting coriander, so maybe I'm just inverting my curry/chili ingredients!

And the Cloudwater DJ set at the end makes me feel like I'm drinking in some fancy hotel lobby; considering its Manchester and on vinyl I was half expecting classic trance instead.

I had the Salt Sabro before the start; cause it felt coldest by then. Have gone in order so far, outright giving the cider and the Kinnegar I'd already had to my partner and sharing some of the cans also. Got to the Siren blueberry now which is... exceptionally odd.

It smells like cumin (in certain circumstances, e.g. cooking a chili) but doesn't taste of it at all. Still more drinkable than the name made me think it'd be. Someone on a review site says they're getting coriander, so maybe I'm just inverting my curry/chili ingredients!

The smell test on the Pilot Lime and Pepper made the other 3 here in the tasting nearly gag! It's amazing how much different some beers can be between smell and tasting. It was my fourth fave of the evening.

About to open 18/24 which for us was the Horizon Berliner Weisse. I know this is gonna be a home run.

The Mad Scientist beer is head and shoulders above everything else. Alefarm and of course Lervig doing solid work as always. Cracking beers.

Here's a photo of the beers from Kinnegar onwards (sans the WH stout) in order of my favourites:

521106.jpg

Got through 8 I think and gave the other half the White Hag Choc & Coconut stout (which I had a taste of and it was absolutely lovely).

My favourites (from top to bottom):
    1.SALT Sabro - as I already said, refreshing with tropical fruit and coconut. Different for a Session IPA.
    2.The Kernel Mosaic IPA - smooth and easy drinkable for 7% ABV.
    3.Sierra Nevada Life And Limb - felt essentially like a lighter imperial stout I thought. Lovely smokiness and very drinkable for 10% ABV.
    4.Zona Rossa - lovely crisp beer. Very refreshing. The first beer I had. Somewhat wish I had it later in the evening.
    5.Cloudwater - tasty for another quite low ABV Pale Ale. Put this can in the fridge quite late so wasn't as cold as I'd like. May have affected score.
    6.Lambrate - had myself hyped for this and thought the whiff from it was a bit much. Drinkable once you got over the stench.
    7.Santa Monica - sorry lads.. but it reminded me too much of Bud.
    8.Trouble Brewing Bright Eyes - as far as table beers go, it had some bitterness which was refreshing. But wouldn't buy again!

Feeling a little groggy today but not all bad thankfully. Think 8 may have been the magic number.

Fair play to Bob, Joe and the lads. Very organised and run I thought.

• Advertisement

On to beer #20, order restored as I've caught up with the few drunk out of order. Will probably head to bed shortly though leaving the last 4 for after work tomorrow.

Having Fyne Ale's crystal clear Citra IPA now.. another really excellent tasty light beer.

Gotta say - €95 for 24 beers felt steep at the time but I'd say 90% of what I've had have been fantastic.

€20 extra for the glasses/masks was probably not my best drunk purchase, but even then €115 would still have been a relatively cheap beer festival, and a very cheap two-dayer.

Unless its on my doorstep I'm looking at transport costs (I do have a Luas and DART/Commuter pass for work, but lets ignore that - there's none in Dublin anymore; and laziness often results in a taxi back), and at least one trip to the food stalls (probably two. Maybe three) as well as whatever the entry cost is.

Obviously there's the social element of a real festival. The masks are a tad small, as it happens. My partner can use them, smaller nose!

The masks are a tad small, as it happens. My partner can use them, smaller nose!
    I got the mask a few weeks back in a separate order, and too small for me too. So gave it to other half.

Got a Bru Brewery one free in an order at CraftCentral which is more elasticated to go round the ears and is a better fit.

https://www.brubrewery.ie/product/bru-brewery-face-mask/

Only €3 each (plus €1 delivery).

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Anyone know who's making the "rough wave" and "on the other side" ipa cans that Aldi are advertising? Something about them makes me think of Lough Gill but I could be miles off

Anyone know who's making the "rough wave" and "on the other side" ipa cans that Aldi are advertising? Something about them makes me think of Lough Gill but I could be miles off
    Cromarty?

https://www.cromartybrewing.com/product/rogue-wave-440

Basq wrote: »

That's rogue wave rather than rough wave, I'll attach a pic in a min

That's rogue wave rather than rough wave, I'll attach a pic in a min

Pic

They're from Lough Gill.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    They're from Lough Gill.

That's what I thought, something about the design said that to me. Interested to try them out now

Advertisement