Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The White Hag Boxtravaganza event was brilliant and really opened up the other half and 2 mates I had over for it to other styles they would never have ordinarily tasted. Plus sharing a beer between four is less daunting if ya hate it. :)

Definitely will be looking forward to similar events over the next whole when time allows.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Pen Rua wrote: »
    On beers, I think I'm reaching maximum capacity for (D)IPAs. I went from never touching them pre-COVID to being what I have 90% of the time over the last number of weeks. Now I am at the point where they taste broadly similar with a couple of standouts. I think my next Bradley's run will focus on Belgian/Trappist beers and maybe some new types of beers (e.g. lambics)
    I hear ya. While not supporting local craft brewers, LIDL are currently doing a range of Belgian beers, including Guulden Draak Quadruple, which at 4 for €10 (at 10.7%), has got to be one of the best beer bargains going at the moment. And in keeping with the topic, why not shop local and pick up some Ballykilcavan beers from the shelf while you're there!

I hear ya. While not supporting local craft brewers, LIDL are currently doing a range of Belgian beers, including Guulden Draak Quadruple, which at 4 for €10 (at 10.7%), has got to be one of the best beer bargains going at the moment. And in keeping with the topic, why not shop local and pick up some Ballykilcavan beers from the shelf while you're there!

Lidl have also started to stock Oettinger which is a revelation in the cheap ass pilsner world. How, in all my times visiting Germany, I had never heard of it is beyond me. It's ideal for a light tipple after some of the more expensive and tastier brews I have here.

I've passed over the Guulden Draak the last while due to capacity issues but I'll be up there today and will grab a couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Anyone have some recommendations for buying some beers online? I've been keeping myself sane with tesco's 4 for €10 but I can't drink another Sierra Nevada Tropical or 8 Degree Full Irish.

I love strong beers, 6% plus ideally, and my favourite type of beers would be Belgian ales, German Weissbier or a (D)IPA. Any Irish sites/breweries to get a good deal from?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I stopped ordering direct as much when I could go to pubs again; and didn't for the last few weeks. Only remembered today at lunchtime that there was no beer in the house...

Hopefully I got in before the Fastway truck came to Dead Centre; because Fastway don't deliver on Saturdays here normally. DPD do if anyone can remember who uses DPD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Anyone have some recommendations for buying some beers online? I've been keeping myself sane with tesco's 4 for €10 but I can't drink another Sierra Nevada Tropical or 8 Degree Full Irish.
    I love strong beers, 6% plus ideally, and my favourite type of beers would be Belgian ales, German Weissbier or a (D)IPA. Any Irish sites/breweries to get a good deal from?

Mescan is a brewery in Mayo that do Belgian style beers. Keep an eye out for them.
    https://www.mescanbrewery.com/#

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

L1011 wrote: »
    I stopped ordering direct as much when I could go to pubs again; and didn't for the last few weeks. Only remembered today at lunchtime that there was no beer in the house...

Hopefully I got in before the Fastway truck came to Dead Centre; because Fastway don't deliver on Saturdays here normally. DPD do if anyone can remember who uses DPD?

I think Craft Central use DPD. They’ve some decent. 4 for 10 offers at the minute too.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yep, put in an order with CraftCentral late last night.. and shipped at 9.30am this morning with delivery tomorrow morning by DPD. They're top notch to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Whiplash have some nice strong beers and deliver next day. Very reliable

http://www.whiplashbeer.com/shop

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Anyone know what day Craft Central tend to restock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Got a nice haul from Craft Central delivered today. They have some smashing beers on their 4 for €12 offer. I got some of the New Belgian - Voodoo Ranger range which I've never had before, and some To Øl beers as well. Great delivery speed too. I will try the Mescan lads next week their beers look great. Interested to see what West of Ireland Tripels and Lambiks taste like!

Got a nice haul from Craft Central delivered today. They have some smashing beers on their 4 for €12 offer. I got some of the New Belgian - Voodoo Ranger range which I've never had before, and some To Øl beers as well. Great delivery speed too. I will try the Mescan lads next week their beers look great. Interested to see what West of Ireland Tripels and Lambiks taste like!

I have yet to be dissapointed by anything from To Øl I have tried over the last while.

Themselves, White Hag, Siren, Mikkeller and Lervig are on top of my favourites pedestal.

Been hugely impressed by The Wild Beer Co range myself.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Mescan is a brewery in Mayo that do Belgian style beers. Keep an eye out for them.
    https://www.mescanbrewery.com/#

I never realised they did a lambic and a saison. And of course the lambic was limited and sold out.

Anyone ever try them?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I never realised they did a lambic and a saison. And of course the lambic was limited and sold out.
    Anyone ever try them?

I've only had the blonde and some seasonal winter releases, all lovely.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone ever try them?

I've tried most of their range and they are all quite nice. Only last week had a couple of pints of the 7 virtues lager in a restaurant near Westport, really nice and fresh. Just be aware all of their range except maybe the stout have that 'Belgian character', one of the guys who set up Mescan is from Belgium I believe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Anyone ever try them?
    The Saison is good, in an understated sort of way. The Lambik is quite rough and vinegary.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Any Irish Schwarz options, as I really enjoyed it? Only one on the usual sites was also an import on Beer Club.

One on the way from Dead Centre Brewing.

https://twitter.com/DeadCentreBrew/status/1295773851612217347

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

irish_goat wrote: »
    One on the way from Dead Centre Brewing.
    Yes, saw it (and guessed a black lager) on Facebook. Not going to cans though! :( I'll try to come up with an excuse to pass with a couple of growlers when it's on...

Also saw Lineman did one earlier in the year, but haven't tracked it down yet.

All this limited edition small quantity stuff, while being marketing genius, is a pain in the bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Not sure if it's been mentioned here before, but I would highly recommend trying some of the Beoir Chorca Dhuibhne collection. Being a dutiful citizen, I was back around Dingle on my "staycation" and visited the pub and brewhouse which produces the beers. Unfortunately, I didn't get to sample all their range, but their Béal Bán ("golden ale") and Blue Rose ("Irish Pale Ale") were some of the highlights of my holiday. You can probably guess where my priorities lie..:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

This might be a little cheeky - but how does one go about getting breweries' glassware? I have a couple of breweries I've come to really like and have on a regular basis, so would like to have their glasses for their beers. I've checked some of their web stores and they, for the most part, do not sell their glasses. Would it be a little too cheeky for me to reach out to them to ask for one, whilst offering to pay for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

This might be a little cheeky - but how does one go about getting breweries' glassware? I have a couple of breweries I've come to really like and have on a regular basis, so would like to have their glasses for their beers. I've checked some of their web stores and they, for the most part, do not sell their glasses. Would it be a little too cheeky for me to reach out to them to ask for one, whilst offering to pay for them?

Kildare Brewing sell some but I couldn't find any others (I was also looking to get some).

Carryout in Tyrrellstown have a good few branded glasses from various breweries.

Any breweries in particular? Some of them do gift packs which appear in off licences. If they have a webstore it'd not be too cheeky to ask them to throw a glass into an order in lieu of a beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

irish_goat wrote: »
    Any breweries in particular? Some of them do gift packs which appear in off licences. If they have a webstore it'd not be too cheeky to ask them to throw a glass into an order in lieu of a beer.

Whiplash, Black's and O Brother come to mind. Maybe Kinnegar too. I've seen plenty of gift sets for Belgian beers in Bradley's in Cork (good point!) but nothing from those guys. Not sure if there are other places to look before contacting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Whitehag has some good deals, with the Bran & Sceolan back in stock at 4 for a tenner when you buy a case.

10% discount code August10 as well.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Whitehag has some good deals, with the Bran & Sceolan back in stock at 4 for a tenner when you buy a case.
    One of my favourites by them too.. glad it’s back in regular circulation!
    Pkiernan wrote: »
    10% discount code August10 as well.
    Also throw in code `FREEGLASS` for well.. a free pint glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Basq wrote: »

FREEGLASS code isn't applicable for my order when I bought the Little Fawn/Atlantean combo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Basq wrote: »

Yup. I forgot to add that.

I ordered a case on Monday and its on the DPD van at the moment.

I had tried their Hopocalyse sampler case. Wasnt impressed by the Little Fawn, but love the B&S.

Its very close to the elusive Toppy Header from the US.

Advertisement