Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Whiplash, Black's and O Brother come to mind. Maybe Kinnegar too. I've seen plenty of gift sets for Belgian beers in Bradley's in Cork (good point!) but nothing from those guys. Not sure if there are other places to look before contacting them.

Kinnegar do gift packs and if you have a local offy stocking them you could ask them to order one in. If not they're available online. https://www.thecounterdeli.com/shop-gifts/kinnegar-beer-gift-box

Surprised Black's don't have their glasses on their website but they'd be worth dropping an email to. Never seen an OBrother or Whiplash glass out in the wild. I'd imagine that breweries may not be rushing to refresh stocks of glassware at the minute with pubs closed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

irish_goat wrote: »
    Kinnegar do gift packs and if you have a local offy stocking them you could ask them to order one in. If not they're available online. https://www.thecounterdeli.com/shop-gifts/kinnegar-beer-gift-box

Surprised Black's don't have their glasses on their website but they'd be worth dropping an email to. Never seen an OBrother or Whiplash glass out in the wild. I'd imagine that breweries may not be rushing to refresh stocks of glassware at the minute with pubs closed as well.

Thanks for the link - exactly what I was after. Might drop and order sometime soon.

I've seen people check in beers on Untappd with Whiplash glasses (which are very nice) so they may be selling them here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

BeerNut wrote: »
    The Saison is good, in an understated sort of way. The Lambik is quite rough and vinegary.

Thanking you. I'll give it a whirl so, well the saison and the lager now after the other recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Thanks for the link - exactly what I was after. Might drop and order sometime soon.
    I know they're not the breweries you mentioned, but Hope have a nice range of glassware.

O'Hara's also have a few pint glasses, and traditional stemmed and snifter glasses. They also have my favourite outdoor "glassware" of their steel pint pot - it was perfect for those lovely early BBQ days of lockdown! Could even slip a can sleeve over the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I know they're not the breweries you mentioned, but Hope have a nice range of glassware.

O'Hara's also have a few pint glasses, and traditional stemmed and snifter glasses. They also have my favourite outdoor "glassware" of their steel pint pot - it was perfect for those lovely early BBQ days of lockdown! Could even slip a can sleeve over the bottom.

No sign of any steel pint pots

• Advertisement

Ballykilcavan have a steel cup on their website.

https://www.ballykilcavan.com/shop.html

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Declan, head brewer at Yellowbelly, is releasing his own beer brewed up at Otterbank Brewing in Muff, Donegal. First release is a mixed fermentation saison aged in pinot noir and chardonnay casks.

Will be available at The Beer Club from next week.

Screenshot_20200825_170201_360x.jpg?v=1598415760

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Could they produce a simple beer or stout and sell it at a reasonable cost all these craft places?
    My Dad drinks stout but he ain't going pay 6 euro a pint

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

bigpink wrote: »
    Could they produce a simple beer or stout and sell it at a reasonable cost all these craft places?
    Not at all of them, no, but plenty already do. Certainly in Dublin there's no reason to pay more than €6 for a pint of craft stout if you don't want to.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    Not at all of them, no, but plenty already do. Certainly in Dublin there's no reason to pay more than €6 for a pint of craft stout if you don't want to.

Local ale here is 5.50 doesn't encourage people to try or change

• Registered Users Posts: 25,995 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

My Dad drinks stout but he ain't going pay 6 euro a pint

Don't know about in a pub but I can get Treaty City Stout in Finewines for €2.50 I think it is

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Don't know about in a pub but I can get Treaty City Stout in Finewines for €2.50 I think it is

Really sure it's 3.50 or higher in the offie

Local ale here is 5.50 doesn't encourage people to try or change
    Very few Irish breweries try to compete with the industrials on price. Doing so isn't really sustainable.

O'Hara's Stout and Leann Follain are €2.99 or 2 for €5 in Supervalu. Decent value there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Kellys Mountain Brew did, 4.50 a pint locally.

They don't exist anymore.

Really sure it's 3.50 or higher in the offie

Could be I dont remember well enough to question you. Looks like I'm just gonna have to do a price check on the way home

I consider that I am paying for the "Craft" element of the beer. I'd rather pay more for a decent beer.

They're not ever going to be competitive on price, particularly the money the multinationals like can throw at pubs. Some of the offers for "exclusivity" I've heard from publicans that the multinationals have thrown them (to lock out other multinationals, never mind Independents) makes you wonder how the craft sector would get any foothold without the demand from punters.

I'm not sure you'll ever convert a die hard Guinness drinker to be honest. My father in law will buy and enjoy craft for home sessions, joined us on virtual festivals, but you could put him in a bar with a line up of quality craft stouts/ ales, and he'd still go Guinness.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I consider that I am paying for the "Craft" element of the beer. I'd rather pay more for a decent beer.

They're not ever going to be competitive on price, particularly the money the multinationals like can throw at pubs. Some of the offers for "exclusivity" I've heard from publicans that the multinationals have thrown them (to lock out other multinationals, never mind Independents) makes you wonder how the craft sector would get any foothold without the demand from punters.

I'm not sure you'll ever convert a die hard Guinness drinker to be honest. My father in law will buy and enjoy craft for home sessions, joined us on virtual festivals, but you could put him in a bar with a line up of quality craft stouts/ ales, and he'd still go Guinness.

Extremely difficult. I've had a couple of Guinness drinking friends of mine taste (what I'd consider) the best of stouts and while they think they're good, they wouldn't switch to one from Guinness in a million years. It's still the first thing I'd order in a pub myself for the first one, no matter what they had.

Extremely difficult. I've had a couple of Guinness drinking friends of mine taste (what I'd consider) the best of stouts and while they think they're good, they wouldn't switch to one from Guinness in a million years. It's still the first thing I'd order in a pub myself for the first one, no matter what they had.

Ah shure some Guinness drinkers have a seizure about trying Beamish or Murphy's never mind craft options

• Advertisement

It's still the first thing I'd order in a pub myself for the first one, no matter what they had.
    Used to be my number 1, now I just taste the nitro (actually applies to craft nitro'd beers too). My non-craft local, back in the olden times pre-covid, I'd go large bottle (albeit from the fridge not the shelf).

Craic Brewing have another Zoom festival happening next weekend. Few of the harder to get breweries in it this time. Brehon not pulling any punches either...

https://craic-beer-community.ie/events/virtual-beer-festival-4/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

That sounds like good craic. Some nice sounding beers in there too!

I've done all three so far (plus the Midlands Craft Beer Festival), and am in for number 4. They're really good - great to here the stories of the breweries and brewers, as well as trying new beers. This one is a really good line up, or beers I probably wouldn't buy.

It's really opened my taste to other styles, and they've really helped convert the better half and in-laws to Craft. Pretty much a standard drinking evening now to be sharing a few new beers, which really helps me try loads of new ones too! My wife now loves saison's (and IPA's) - zero hope of me getting her to try one before these festivals - and in fairness, I wasn't that impressed with the style on the one or two I'd had previously, and now I'm picking them out, and mixed fermentation etc. She actually gave away the guts of a case of Bud she is so converted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Craic Brewing have another Zoom festival happening next weekend. Few of the harder to get breweries in it this time. Brehon not pulling any punches either...

https://craic-beer-community.ie/events/virtual-beer-festival-4/

Wouldn't be a fan of any of these virtual compromises (gigs, shows, etc.) but I might give this a go. Hopefully they'll be consigned to the bin next year if normality resumes! Would only love to go to an actual beer festival now

Wouldn't be a fan of any of these virtual compromises (gigs, shows, etc.) but I might give this a go. Hopefully they'll be consigned to the bin next year if normality resumes! Would only love to go to an actual beer festival now

Can't compare to an actual beer festival but the last few have been good craic. Added bonus for me is that I'd rarely come across the likes of Mescan, West Kerry and Treaty City.

Was there many big beer festivals in Ireland pre lockdown or is it just local breweries running events in the taproom?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Can't compare to an actual beer festival but the last few have been good craic. Added bonus for me is that I'd rarely come across the likes of Mescan, West Kerry and Treaty City.

Fair enough. West Kerry have some beauties in fairness, I only visited their pub and brewery few weeks back when cycling around Slea Head. Well worth a visit for anyone around that neck of the woods

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Was there many big beer festivals in Ireland pre lockdown or is it just local breweries running events in the taproom?
    Not many breweries have taprooms. Festivals came and went but there used to be a good few through the year.

• Advertisement

It's easier for me to partake in these than in the real world. Actually that's probably a downside of converting the whole family, as everyone will want to go, which doesn't really work with children!

I would say though, that I've learned more through the online events around process, beer styles, hops etc. than I would've at a real life beer festivals. Some very knowledgeable people on these, and the mystery box type stuff.

These ones are mainly Brian discussing with the brewers/ breweries - the majority of punters don't even have their cameras on. It's as interactive as you chose it to be.

Advertisement