Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

That would surely go for a real festival too though. The more interaction the more you get from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭JoeLapira

Taking part in my first Craic Beer Community virtual Festival this weekend, seems to be good fun so looking forward it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

That would surely go for a real festival too though. The more interaction the more you get from it.
    I'd probably have more confidence to discuss it with brewers now, but that's thanks to these online events.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,862 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

mcgovern wrote: »
    Kildare Brewing sell some but I couldn't find any others (I was also looking to get some).

Dead Centre have glasses on their online shop.
    Ballykilcavan have a steel cup on their website.

Pity their beers that I tried were so disappointing :(
    irish_goat wrote: »
    O'Hara's Stout and Leann Follain are €2.99 or 2 for €5 in Supervalu. Decent value there.

The O'Hara's range is pretty much permanently on 4 for €10 in Dunnes, too.

Guinness Extra Stout / Original / XX or whatever they're calling the CO2 stout this week, is usually dearer than that :rolleyes: - I like it but it's just not worth €2.69 a can

Then there's the O'Shea's range in Aldi, not the same beers as O'Hara's but same brewer, and cheaper. The Rye River-brewed "Grafters" (Dunnes) and "Crafty Brewing" (Lidl) are decent, too. I think Tesco have one of their own as well, but I'm not too often in there.
    Macy0161 wrote: »
    Some of the offers for "exclusivity" I've heard from publicans that the multinationals have thrown them (to lock out other multinationals, never mind Independents) makes you wonder how the craft sector would get any foothold without the demand from punters.

I don't see how that carry-on can be legal, but they are getting away with it nonetheless.
    BeerNut wrote: »
    Not many breweries have taprooms. Festivals came and went but there used to be a good few through the year.

Like everything else in Ireland, venues and insurers screw the organisers of any event every which way

Plus there's our ridiculous licensing laws to navigate.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Pity their beers that I tried were so disappointing :(
    Their Brown is very good I think. I enjoyed Secret Passion too, and their Vice. It was actually the Red which has a good reputation that I was a bit underwhelmed by tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I don't see how that carry-on can be legal, but they are getting away with it nonetheless.
    It's a completely inadequate law, but it suits enough powerful interests for nothing to be done about it. It's illegal to abuse a dominant position, but in Ireland the dominant position is held by Diageo, so Heineken, C&C and Molson Coors are free to do what they like to grab tap space.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,264 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Had some Kinnegar Hazy Pale Ale at the in-laws house a few weeks ago and thought it was lovely so have ordered a bunch of their stuff off craft central. Looking forward to giving them a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Limeburner has been one of my go-to's now since I discovered them around 2011/12. Fantastic brewery.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Kinnegar is always incredible reliable to be fair!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Trying to think of Irish breweries who haven't made a bad beer. Kinnegar, White Gypsy, 8 Degrees, Treaty City (yes, I've tried all of theirs!) Galway Bay, and probably White Hag come to mind. Any others?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Trying to think of Irish breweries who haven't made a bad beer. Kinnegar, White Gypsy, 8 Degrees, Treaty City (yes, I've tried all of theirs!) Galway Bay, and probably White Hag come to mind. Any others?

You'll never get your agreement on it e.g. I haven't looked any of 8 Degrees beers that I've tried

Haven't tried them all but I've yet to taste anything bad from Hope and Wicklow Wolf are excellent across their range too. I don't get the love for the TC Watermelon, and that salted caramel one was awful, but they are generally really high quality.

Had the White Gypsy Blonde in a hotel in Clare last weekend.. and maybe it was the run on it but wasn't gone on it.

Kinnegar and White Hag are my go to's.. but then again, I am from the North West.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Galway Bay have significant, ongoing batch consistency problems; plus they had a major "special" release that was basically uncarbonated (it should have been) some years ago.

8 Degrees and Kinnegar would be tops for consistent, as-described product for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

White Hag are a gem

Are 8 Degrees really independent though?

Particularly since COVID, I've been pretty much exclusively Irish, and I really can't think of any real duds. I think the quality is amazing, even if some beers I wouldn't buy again, others I've been sharing with have! It's too subjective.

Also, I think some of the breweries that are putting out new beers (what seems like weekly) are bound to have some that I/ you/ people may not like.

fwiw I struggle to think of a Wicklow Wolf I don't like. Great core range, and the specials/ collabs I've managed to get before they sold out are very good. But I'm bias as my local brewery!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A few years ago, I'd have heartily agreed with regard to 8 Degrees. But theses day I find their beers nothing like they were 5 years ago. Their Citra is really awful at the moment.

Galway Bay, I stopped buying some years ago due to inconsistencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

White Hag are a gem

Agree with this. Their Atlantean is my current go to beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Larkin's Pale Ale is my go to beer.

Their IPA is quality as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭randomname2005

White Hag are a gem

Agree, and Dot too, some fantastic stuff from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

O Brother seem to slip under the radar in these threads. Their core range is ok (was in 3 for €9 in Tesco a few weeks ago) but their special runs are great. I've had 3 of the 4 they've released over the last couple of weeks and all of them have been super.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Their core range is ok (was in 3 for €9 in Tesco a few weeks ago) but their special runs are great.
    Still 3 for €9 last night in Wicklow Tesco.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Craic Beer are doing another online tasting/Q&A this weekend with LINEMAN.

https://craic-beer-community.ie/events/craicing-beers-with-lineman/

craiclienman.png

I won't make this one, but really enjoyed Mark talking on one of the Craic festivals (I forget which one - maybe the second?), and those are three great beers imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Just had a glance on Craft Central, and noticed Whiplash have a trio lined up for release:

Always Half Strange, Belgian Pale Ale
    Grisette Traminer Grisette with Lyche, Orange & Rose Flower
    Backdrifts Oat Tripel With Orange Zest

Nice to see something new from them that isn't a (D)IPA.

Pen Rua wrote: »

Nice to see something new from them that isn't a (D)IPA.

To be honest, I'd half expect them all to be riffs on NEIPAs!
    I don't trust their labelling anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,995 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

To be honest, I'd half expect them all to be riffs on NEIPAs!
    I don't trust their labelling anymore.

I know it's an English thing but across the water everything seems to just be a variation on IPA. Thank god in Ireland at least a fair amount of the breweries take influence from Belgium

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I know it's an English thing but across the water everything seems to just be a variation on IPA. Thank god in Ireland at least a fair amount of the breweries take influence from Belgium

As long as I am reliably informed on the label as to what to expect in the container, I'm happy for breweries to make any style they like!
    Many breweries seem to have dismissed the importance of product descriptions on labels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,995 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

As long as I am reliably informed on the label as to what to expect in the container, I'm happy for breweries to make any style they like!
    Many breweries seem to have dismissed the importance of product descriptions on labels.

The one that really bugs me is when a pilsner or lager is hoped up like a pale and it fails to tell you on the label. Used to get awful crap from people when I worked in pubs over this

Advertisement