Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Well Wicklow Wolf hasn't made it to my two local (Wicklow) Tesco's, yet.

It was more space allocated in Tesco rather than range tbh, but because of the reduction more chance of them being empty. Same with Aldi.

Supervalu in Wicklow had decent selection for the size of store, took out the isle for an extra checkout, and have squeezed in the craft section in the corner they had the non/ low alcohol craft in. Basically gone to just Wicklow Brewery and Wicklow Wolf now.

I try to support the off licence (limited opening hours), but mainly buying online. Sometimes it's cheaper to just get the 4 beers, rather than get sucked in to the online shop and suddenly the €50 cart!

My local Tesco has a healthy stock generally to be fair to them. They have a section with the bottles/cans on shelving, about 2 bays wide and then a fridge which has more cans with the odd bottle. No real rhyme or reason to it though, just seems to pack stuff that won't fit in the shelves into the fridge.

Yeah I don't mind buying online but like you say its very easy to end up spending a fortune just because of the selection available. I generally only drink craft beer one night a week anyway, rest of the time if I have a drink it'd be whiskey with maybe a can or two of Guinness or a bottle of peroni.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Definite reduction in space in my local Tesco(s), Supervalu, Aldi and Lidl, but particularly noticeable in Supervalu and Tesco, with a definite squeeze on in Aldi and Lidl too.

The Supervalu I'd swing into to and from the office has certainly gone the opposite way, much more space to the craft beer than previously.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Anyone spotted any good gift selection/sets for irish breweries?

https://www.mchughs.ie/craft-beer-gift-packs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Must be just coincidence in my local ones, rather than the big evil multinationals!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Anyone spotted any good gift selection/sets for irish breweries?

I went with an Advent Calendar from BeerCloud. Actually, I went with two, one is a gift.

Of course then Herself had to get a Yankee Candle Advent Calendar. So it'll be an interesting countdown to Christmas with tastes and smells. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Basq wrote: »
    The two new White Hag SMaSH IPA's are incredible!
    Just on these.. if anyone enjoyed them, they’ve two new ones out.
    • Idaho 7
    • Citra
    Screenshot-2020-11-03-at-14-59-59.png

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Hopefully they are included in Clann along with the (Terry's) Chocolate Orange Pastry Stout.....I'm really looking forward to that, thought their last Chocolate Coconut Pastry Stout was delish!

DrZeuss wrote: »
    Hopefully they are included in Clann along with the (Terry's) Chocolate Orange Pastry Stout.....I'm really looking forward to that, thought their last Chocolate Coconut Pastry Stout was delish!
    Got 2 each of the latest SMaSH IPA's in my local offie, but they didn't get the new Choc Orange Dark Druid.

If there's only the one in the Clann box, I'll have to let the missus have it as she loves their Dark Druid range

Got 2 each of the latest SMaSH IPA's in my local offie, but they didn't get the new Choc Orange Dark Druid.

If there's only the one in the Clann box, I'll have to let the missus have it as she loves their Dark Druid range

More than one would be a nice addition, they are too small on their own to share that's for sure.
    Interested in what this fresh AF beer that's arriving and being pack today is too!

Anywhere doing an Irish beer advent calendar?

• Advertisement

Craftvent Calendar

Or do you mean Irish only breweries in the offering? Am sure CraftCentral’s offering will be widespread.

Craftvent Calendar

Or do you mean Irish only breweries in the offering? Am sure CraftCentral’s offering will be widespread.

Yeah only Irish breweries. I’d definitely say craft central is mixed and the beer club are advertising theirs as mixed.

Yeah only Irish breweries. I’d definitely say craft central is mixed and the beer club are advertising theirs as mixed.
    https://martinsofflicence.ie/products/martins-advent-craft-beer-box-2019-madvent
    #MADVENT is a celebration of Irish craft beer. Ireland is currently brewing some of the finest beers in the world, so for the season that's in it, we decided to put some of them in a special beer advent calendar. All 24 beers in our #MADVENT calendar are Irish produced and come from variety of different breweries scattered around the country. A wide range of beer styles are covered too, from light ale down to imperial stout, IPAs to winter seasonal, and everything in between. There is something in this box for everyone.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mother Mac's were planning a 12 Beers of Christmas, but their box supplier could only give 'em boxes for 24 drinks so now they're offering an Irish advent collection instead.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I've been working my way through the single malt, single hop showcasing that White Hag are doing with the Union Series Smash IPA.

Over the weekend and yesterday ... Citra, Galaxy, Strata, Idaho 7...

All pleasant but I was a little disappointed in the Idaho 7... Mikkeller's Idaho 7 was probably my beer of the year so far. I had high hopes but the White Hag one just doesn't seem to firing on all cylinders. Maybe unfair to compare the two as to be honest I still think Mikkeller is a 'special' brewery for me, I could just drink them forever.

Still, tasty beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,784 ✭✭✭✭L1011

First CraftCentral order delivered in under 24h order to door. Also ordered a mixed case off Dew Drop in Kill as they're the only local-ish brewery I've never tried

Should probably not go to the offo this weekend then!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mike_cork

L1011 wrote: »
    First CraftCentral order delivered in under 24h order to door. Also ordered a mixed case off Dew Drop in Kill as they're the only local-ish brewery I've never tried

Should probably not go to the offo this weekend then!

Made an order on torcbewing.ie webshop (never had any so wanted to give it a try) on weds evening,arrived today. very fast turnaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Can anyone recommend any winter/festive ales?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭flended12

White Hag subscription box due in today or tmro.

2 options and in the first delivery depending on your choice will contain:

Option 1
    The beers that will land with you for Clann Core are:

Little Fawn x 4
    Roc Helles x2
    Ninth Wave x2
    Phantom x2
    Irish IPA x2

The beers that will land with you for Clann More are:

Little Fawn
    Roc Helles
    Ninth Wave
    Phantom
    Atlantean
    Puca Berry
    Dark Druid Chocolate Orange
    Union Series – all 4 variants

Plus 1 very special guest beer!

Theres a couple of other bits and bobs, but thats the jist above!

• Advertisement

White Hag indicated on Twitter that there'll be the newest in The Dark Druid range..
    Mexican Hot Chocolate
    too.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Can anyone recommend any winter/festive ales?

St bernadus Christmas ale us lovely... Think molloy's have it in

White Hag indicated on Twitter that there'll be the newest in The Dark Druid range..
    Mexican Hot Chocolate
    too.

Wasn't in mine anyway ☹️
    Maybe it'll be in next month's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

DrZeuss wrote: »
    Wasn't in mine anyway ☹️
    Maybe it'll be in next month's.
    The spoilered one isn't canned yet I don't think - they were just posting that it's the next one after the Chocolate Orange

The spoilered one isn't canned yet I don't think - they were just posting that it's the next one after the Chocolate Orange
    They indicated to me it was in box..

https://twitter.com/TheWhiteHag/status/1324475165082898435?s=19
    .. but they also indicated in the Clann email that "24 of you will receive 1 extra beer. Save it in the back of the fridge, we’ll be asking you to join a tasting soon for our first Clann intervention." so I'm guessing only a select number got it.

Unless.. yeah.. maybe it'll be next month's

.. but they also indicated in the Clann email that "24 of you will receive 1 extra beer. Save it in the back of the fridge, we’ll be asking you to join a tasting soon for our first Clann intervention." so I'm guessing only a select number got it.

Possibly next month, the extra beer for the special 24 is a
    Kolsch....I wasn't one of the lucky ones :( , shame too as I do like the Kolsch style

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Biscuit80

https://twitter.com/TheWhiteHag/status/1324475165082898435?s=19

Interesting, still waiting for my box here.

Don't seem to have received a Clann email though, will have to check with the guys that I'm on the right mailing list!

The "extra beer" was a
    Kolsch

Didn't get it here but the
    Cloudwater
    and
    2 White Hag Glasses and Hagstaravaganza beermats
    were a nice surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭flended12

Clan more received. New glasses a nice touch.

12 beers for the price?

People think good value?

• Advertisement

About €2.90 a can which i think is decent given the variance of price of cans (e.g their core range normally €2.50 a can but their 440ml SMaSH etc are probably €4 or thereabouts). Also guest beers and nice little additions - Bingo anyone? And those glasses work out about a fiver each on store.

It's good value but also supporting them - which is thread title at the end of the day.

Advertisement