Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭flended12

Basq wrote: »
    About €2.90 a can which i think is decent given the variance of price of cans (e.g their core range normally €2.50 a can but their 440ml SMaSH etc are probably €4 or thereabouts). Also guest beers and nice little additions - Bingo anyone? And those glasses work out about a fiver each on store.

It's good value but also supporting them - which is thread title at the end of the day.

Yup, agree with all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭Basq

For anyone who attended the Blue Note Bingo earlier, did a screenshot of Bob's reveal of Advent Box.

I can see:

(newbies in bold)
    • Little Fawn
    • Roc Helles
    • Bran & Sceolan
    • Atlantean
    • Puca ?
    • Ninth Wave
    • Dark Druid Choc Orange
    • Dark Druid Mexican Hot Choc
    • Black Boar
    • Phantom
    • Dark Druid Spiced Mocha Pastry Stout
    • Yule Eggnog IPA

Looks to be in Redmond's of Ranelagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Bus Boy

Basq wrote: »
    For anyone who attended the Blue Note Bingo earlier, did a screenshot of Bob's reveal of Advent Box.

I can see:

(newbies in bold)
    • Little Fawn
    • Roc Helles
    • Bran & Sceolan
    • Atlantean
    • Puca ?
    • Ninth Wave
    • Dark Druid Choc Orange
    • Dark Druid Mexican Hot Choc
    • Black Boar
    • Phantom
    • Dark Druid Spiced Mocha Pastry Stout
    • Yule Eggnog IPA

Looks to be in Redmond's of Ranelagh.

My favourite Off Licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭Basq

PXL-20201109-164212398.jpg
    PXL-20201109-164300749.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I got my Clann Mor box and was similarly unsuccessful in getting the beer panel Kolsch.... Oh well.

Thoughts:-

1. Nicely presented welcome letter and I appreciate the fact that they'll use more compact boxes going forward. Lockdown has seen me generate hitherto unimaginable quantities of cardboard and packaging for the recycling bin.

2. Loved the beer glasses, frankly, I can use them. I'm at that stage in my life where I have all these 'sophisticated' wine glasses and wedding crystal tat and yet no decent beer glasses seem to survive for long in our house.

3. The beer mats instantly appropriated for use as indoor frisbees / shurikens by the kids.

4. In terms of the beer line up.... Yes, I guess this is what I was expecting. Others have given the full line-up and in my view it is a good spread of styles, without being overbearing in any particular area. Perhaps reflecting popular tastes in that we have 1-2 sour, stout and lager, and then a predominance of pale ale / IPA, and a mixture of styles and ABV there.

5. Value for money? Probably better to frame it as 'is the price reasonable?'. Yes, it is. But of course if someone is on a budget or looking for absolute bang-for-buck then probably not the optimum way to go, especially given the 1 year commitment. I signed up because (1) I like automating things and I'm a firm believer that if you can outsource some decision-making and tasks (Even beer buying), then provided you have a reasonable expectation that it will be done right then it's a good idea. Also (2) I wanted to support an Irish business and I guess White Hag asked me nicely before anyone else did. Oh and (3) I was a bit drunk when I agreed.

6. I did make the mistake of buying a 24 box of the Union Smash using my Clann -10% discount. If I'd known one of each type was included in this month's Clann box I might not have bothered... But that's my own fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Craft Central are listing Whiplash's Scaldy Porter in their Coming Soon... section. I assume it will make its way through off licenses, so I hope to pick some up. I've been a big fan of Whiplash since I've discovered (Irish) craft beer over Lockdown 1.0 and following months. As I understand it, this was the first beer under the Whiplash name, correct?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Pen Rua wrote: »
    As I understand it, this was the first beer under the Whiplash name, correct?
    It was released simultaneously with Surrender to the Void, but Scaldy was a well-established homebrew recipe before Whiplash existed.

BeerNut wrote: »
    It was released simultaneously with Surrender to the Void, but Scaldy was a well-established homebrew recipe before Whiplash existed.

Ah - TIL. Thanks. This video put that idea in my head.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Was Farami not the first Whiplash beer? Albeit, a collab.

I got sidetracked on YouTube and came across these videos that seem to be from some online beer festival and it makes me regret not partaking in the online festivals that were going on at the height of Lockdown 1.0!

• Advertisement

irish_goat wrote: »
    Was Farami not the first Whiplash beer? Albeit, a collab.
    Nope, Farami was an Otterbank solo beer first, and Whiplash later.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Nope, Farami was an Otterbank solo beer first, and Whiplash later.

Ah so it was, although Alex definitely helped brew it with Declan.

Speaking of, new Otterbank Citra pale ale due out very soon and a chardonnay barrel saison a few weeks after.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Anyone spotted any good gift selection/sets for irish breweries?

Good price on a Porterhouse gift set here. Think this is last year's stock but both beers should be aging well.

https://ie.irishmalts.com/home/dingle-devil-s-half-acre-5th-barrel-aged-release

irish_goat wrote: »
    That said, the stupid pull-off caps that the Porterhouse uses are rubbish at keeping out oxygen. A year is about the best they'll do; or wax the bottles when you buy them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I got sidetracked on YouTube and came across these videos that seem to be from some online beer festival and it makes me regret not partaking in the online festivals that were going on at the height of Lockdown 1.0!
    St Mels one this Friday for the launch of their online webshop. Not sure if it's too late (I won't make this one, unfortunately).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I have to say, Boxtravaganza in July was a lovely little piece of positivity at the time.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    St Mels one this Friday for the launch of their online webshop. Not sure if it's too late (I won't make this one, unfortunately).

I think it might be pushing it, and I've never had anything from St Mel's (maybe the perfect opportunity...!) but I got sucked into videos to hear from brewers whos beers I really like. I'll have to keep an eye out on Craic beer - I can see one was done in Sept.

Who does Treaty City distribute with? I don't think I've seen them in Bradley's / Cork?

I think it might be pushing it, and I've never had anything from St Mel's (maybe the perfect opportunity...!) but I got sucked into videos to hear from brewers whos beers I really like. I'll have to keep an eye out on Craic beer - I can see one was done in Sept.

Who does Treaty City distribute with? I don't think I've seen them in Bradley's / Cork?

Seen Treaty in a physical Molloys shop and online with Beer Cloud.

Never had a thing by St. Mels either but I'm that sick of their ads in my Twitter feed that I don't think I'll ever buy one of their beers.

I ordered my St.Mels box and it was dispatched the next day. Should be able to have it by Friday if you order today.

Edit: St.Mel's confirming on Twitter today is the last day you can order.

https://twitter.com/StMelsBrewing/status/1326181728868855810

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

You can get their range in Number 21 on Coburg St e.g.
    https://twitter.com/No21Cork/status/1321476937714454530?s=20

• Advertisement

RonanC wrote: »
    You can get their range in Number 21 on Coburg St e.g.
    https://twitter.com/No21Cork/status/1321476937714454530?s=20

Thanks! Never think of going there. Good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Marty1983

Treaty is great, I love their Harris pale ale, very smooth tastes like a few Australian pale ales I've had before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Fine wines in Limerick have them too. I was in the one in Corbally earlier. Very nice selection of Western Herd from Clare also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Marty1983 wrote: »
    Treaty is great, I love their Harris pale ale, very smooth tastes like a few Australian pale ales I've had before.

Interesting. Could you suggest the Treaty ones you've tried which remind you of Australian pale ales? I got into craft beers over there so would be interested to try them out.

https://shop.porterhousebrewco.ie/ie/bottles/stout-house-pack

Another Porterhouse gift pack out. Looks like the barrel aged stout doesn't have the pesky pull-off caps either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Stouts Out!

Galway Bay Brewing announce their 2020 Two Hundred Fathoms.

https://www.facebook.com/GalwayBayBrewery/posts/3288405991286143
    Now in its 6th vintage. We work with one of the largest mashes in our brewhouse to produce this decadent & delicate Imperial Stout. To celebrate 6 years of this stunning Barrel Aged Imperial Stout, we hand selected the finest small batch Whiskey casks from our friends @teeling_whiskey . This years batch was racked to these beautiful barrels back in March 2019, where it rested for 18 months. Then racked out of barrels & lagered for two months in tank for silky nitro-esque spund carbonation before being bottled for your pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

About time, better dust off the Fathoms glassware!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

Do they normally get these out to off-licences or where can you get them? Sound great!

• Advertisement

Issac wrote: »
    Do they normally get these out to off-licences or where can you get them? Sound great!
    Originally they sold it through the bars but last time round the whole lot went to Noreast for distribution through off licences. I'd say they're hoping to sell most of it on their own web shop this time.

Advertisement