Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

Lovely beer all right but I can't work out why the most expensive place to buy it is direct from the brewery. Its always cheaper to pick it up at the local off license or even local shop.

Someone was telling me Yellowbelly were bought out by ID. The basically want the casks for whiskey and told them just make what you want. No idea if it is true but it would explain why they went dark on social media for a few months this year after being leaders at it for a while. Free delivery on their slabs is nice. Always great to open the door and find a slab of Citra pale ale there. Still in my top few Irish beers.

I had heard they were in big financial trouble a while back, so hopefully has saved them if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭flended12

Blacks are doing a bulk deal today (not just the brewery side of things).

Seems pretty damn good to me and a lovely stock to have for the next couple of months.

That blacks deal already sold out.

Ragin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

For anyone in the D15 area, Molloys in Coolmine have improved their craft beer selection massively. Went in last night to pick up a few as my Craft Central order hasn't turned up. They have comfortably doubled the amount of craft beers on offer. We'll worth checking out.

Managed to get the Brouwerij St Bernardus Christmas ale that has been recommended to me on this thread. Really nice.

For anyone in the D15 area, Molloys in Coolmine have improved their craft beer selection massively. Went in last night to pick up a few as my Craft Central order hasn't turned up. They have comfortably doubled the amount of craft beers on offer. We'll worth checking out.

Managed to get the Brouwerij St Bernardus Christmas ale that has been recommended to me on this thread. Really nice.

Been in a few times recently since they started stocking Treaty City when I’m around that way and it’s really good now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

That was always decent enough. Much better than O'Briens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

Matsons in Grange in Cork have a great selection of beers. Think they have a shop in Youghal as well. They used to be in Bandon as well but think that's gone now.
    Definitely the best selection I've seen anywhere.
    Having said that Tool's Citry from O'Briens is my current favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I got sidetracked on YouTube and came across these videos that seem to be from some online beer festival and it makes me regret not partaking in the online festivals that were going on at the height of Lockdown 1.0!

Craic Beer Community will be doing a Monthly Meetup on Fri, 27 November.

https://twitter.com/CraicCommunity/status/1328793088811298816

Looking forward to seeing who else will get added to this, and will keep an eye on what beer box they put together for it. Might be a hard sell for Mrs Pen Rua - I just put in a huge Craft Central order to restock.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Looking forward to seeing who else will get added to this, and will keep an eye on what beer box they put together for it.

You won't get to see who else is added, as that would take away the mystery element. :pac:

Normally do announce what the other beers are though. I'd guess Hooker will be on with their cherry stout and Kildare probably with their latest IPA, which is raising funds for charity.

irish_goat wrote: »
    You won't get to see who else is added, as that would take away the mystery element. :pac:

Normally do announce what the other beers are though. I'd guess Hooker will be on with their cherry stout and Kildare probably with their latest IPA, which is raising funds for charity.

Interesting - I've not had anything from Kildare Brewing Co before.

The Late Late is the same night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Any idea how far in advance these are usually available? I can't see anything on the beercloud website for it.

Also, on the theme of advent boxes, would it be silly to expect some new and unusual beers in the BeerCloud box at e75 for 24 cans, 3.odd per can or is it likely to be normal beers you can pick up any time?

• Advertisement

Any idea how far in advance these are usually available? I can't see anything on the beercloud website for it.

Probably be released in the next day or two.
    Also, on the theme of advent boxes, would it be silly to expect some new and unusual beers in the BeerCloud box at e75 for 24 cans, 3.odd per can or is it likely to be normal beers you can pick up any time?

I'd say the chances of a beer being exclusively brewed just for an advent box is very slim, tbh. The volumes just wouldn't make it worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Interesting - I've not had anything from Kildare Brewing Co before.

The Late Late is the same night!
    They had a couple in the very first craic festival. I was very impressed with "Tin Soldier" but then it never seemed available on line again!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Could be some of the dead centre limited editions. The big temptation for me would be it's Irish beers.

I will keep an eye out on the website so.
    I'd say the chances of a beer being exclusively brewed just for an advent box is very slim, tbh. The volumes just wouldn't make it worthwhile.
    Macy0161 wrote: »
    Could be some of the dead centre limited editions. The big temptation for me would be it's Irish beers.

If there are going to be limited editions, small batches, that would be great. If it is just regulars I would rather spend that money in my local family owned supermarket where they stock the likes of GBB, Kinnegar, Wicklow Wolf etc. Might just pop them an email and see if they can provide any information.

Thanks to you both for your comments.
    RN

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

You will see at least one exclusive in the Martin's box going by past experience, and plenty of limited edition stuff.

CiaranMT wrote: »
    You will see at least one exclusive in the Martin's box going by past experience, and plenty of limited edition stuff.

Will keep an eye out so. So many boxes, so little money :(

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭flended12

https://twitter.com/irish_goat/status/1329445560047243266

I'll throw this in here and mention irish_goat as author and a great gesture!

Seems to be online now, or at least something that looks like it:
    https://beercloud.ie/product/craic-beer-community-november-2020/

Craft Central have a Black Friday banner on their website, so that will be something to keep an eye out for. Their newsletter mentions a DOT beer as an early Black Friday deal, by including it in their 4/€12 range so I would expect more of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

The White Hag have added a few Christmas boxes to their site
    https://www.thewhitehag.com/product/christmas-box/

Looks like a nice few new additions:
    The Dark Druid Chocolate Orange x 2
    The Dark Druid Black Forest x 2
    The White Sow Mint Chocolate Chip x 2
    The Dark Druid Mexican Hot Chocolate x 2
    Noël Eggnog Christmas Ale x 2
    Cauldron of Plenty coffee porter x 2

Looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yep, saw them too. Interested to know about the coffee porter.

https://www.thewhitehag.com/our-range/cauldron-of-plenty/ ?

Basq wrote: »
    Yep, saw them too. Interested to know about the coffee porter.

https://www.thewhitehag.com/our-range/cauldron-of-plenty/ ?

That could be an interesting one too.

I see too that the Salted Caramel and the Chocolate Coconut are making a return too, I missed the salted caramel one when it came out first.
    Hopefully they do a mixed Dark Druid box or something like that.

The O'Haras one with the cork is on the Beer Club website now for €7.15.

The O'Haras one with the cork is on the Beer Club website now for €7.15.

That's not a bad price, was that not over €10 previous years or am I thinking of something else?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

DrZeuss wrote: »
    That's not a bad price, was that not over €10 previous years or am I thinking of something else?

I'd say the small bottle is at the lower price. Thought I heard the big one was going for €12.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Used to be a 750ml bottle. Now it's half that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It's on Craft Central too, €8 or thereabouts.

Also this from Whiplash looks interesting:

http://www.whiplashbeer.com/shop/heart-of-chambers-440ml-can

coffee and oatmeal Double Porter, though looks to be already sold out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭Basq

That could be an interesting one too.

I see too that the Salted Caramel and the Chocolate Coconut are making a return too, I missed the salted caramel one when it came out first.
    Hopefully they do a mixed Dark Druid box or something like that.
    The Salted Caramel is the best of The Dark Druid, but none of them hold a candle to Festa Nuda! :(

Found myself having the last Trouble Brewing Pumpkin Ale last night and found it more drinkable than White Hag mainly due to being not nearly as sweet.

Think they need to ease up on the "sugar heavy" Dark Druid series.

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »
    The Salted Caramel is the best of The Dark Druid, but none of them hold a candle to Festa Nuda! :(

Found myself having the last Trouble Brewing Pumpkin Ale last night and found it more drinkable than White Hag mainly due to being not nearly as sweet.

Think they need to ease up on the "sugar heavy" Dark Druid series.

Speak for yourself :pac:

The Cauldron of Plenty coffee porter sounds like it may be a bit more standard anyway, it'll be interesting to see what pops up in the Clann box next month.

I've not tasted Trouble Brewing's but I have put aside 2 of White Hags pumpkins for closer to Christmas, didn't think I'd enjoy them as much as I did. I seem to miss a lot of these when they are released and the local shops don't seem to be stocking as much as they were. I may start using the likes of Craft Central more regularly.

Advertisement