Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,784 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd assume its an arrangement, split ownership could cause licencing issues - local to me AGS tried to take prosecutions against two different operator restaurants in a pub and a hotel claiming they weren't covered by the main licence. Both thrown out when the agreements were provided to the judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Basq wrote: »
    I didn’t attend..

.. as had an unfortunate incident with oysters a few years ago where a family member, that shall remained unnamed, sprang oysters on myself and the rest of the family. Only to reveal afterwards than they were in the boot of their car for about a week (although, and I quote, “it was December so assumed they’d be fine”!). Needless to say the following day was spent "hugging the porcelain throne”. And I have an extremely strong stomach.

Anyways, flicked through the livestream and they announced it towards the end..

https://youtu.be/RkJdsK34NlU?t=12305

They had Athrú Whiskey tasters for those fleet of tummy. Gorgeous drams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Thanks, I hate it

tbf, I like the totes but not for €35 (plus shipping). Appreciate they are local made etc but I wouldn't think about it till we're in the €20 range.

Got it re licensing. Appreciate it's messy but ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

L1011 wrote: »
    I still haven't checked whether a hotel licence (which is what their taproom uses) lets you do off-sales but I'm going to guess it doesn't.

Most of the breweries doing direct sales have pubs of their own or have done a deal with one; Kinnegar are in an odd situation of having the taproom but in a hotel!
    St Mels have the brewers licence, so can sell direct now, including walk ups/ have a shop. I think they may be the first craft brewery to do it? I've heard Liam discuss it, but don't remember the details.

I have to drive past Wicklow Wolf to get to the nearest Off Licence that has their full core range, never mind specials. The 2 case minimum is a killer.

If you mean the Producers Retail Off Licence, I was only aware of a distillery (Lough Mask) and a cidery (can't remember!) with it before now so they could well be the first brewery with one. Revenue lists can take up to a year to record a new licence I've found.

They're selling online though which needs a publicans licence or the appropriate off-licence; or getting someone with that to handle it for you.

• Advertisement

Whatever they need, they need to get one.

Whatever they need, they need to get one.

Even with more available now (rural pubs giving up hope of reopening) pub licences cost about 50k+, plus legals and if you transfer them to being an off-licence alone it devalues their resale. Rather a lot for a craft brewery to fork out for. Existing off licences are a bit cheaper but there's much less of them available at a given time.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Craft Central Advent Calendar Day 3:
    The Wild Beer - Wild IPA Mixed Fermentation + IPA 440ml Can 5.2% ABV

Have had this before - am a big fan of
    The Wild Beer
    and this is a belter!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Based in MAyo and have ordered from local breweries over the last 6 months. Mostly White Hag, Mescan, Lough Gill and one order from GAlway Bay. Last year I was in Dublin and called into Drinkstore and got a good variety. I know I can order online but to be honest I just want to go to a good off licence, spend a bit of time looking at what is in stock, and buy 20 or 30 cans / bottles of some new to me drinks for Xmas.

Local stores have limited variety and I probably have sampled most of their stock. I dont mind making a day trip of it but I'm not making a trip to Dublin. Dont think there is anywhere with a good selection in Mayo so I'm guessing Galway or Sligo is my best option. Probably mostly IPA's and Stouts but I will buy a few other styles Can anyone recommend any off license which has a good selection of mostly Irish craft beers.

Sligo only had one solid offie - and it's Foley's. And with that, their Irish range barely changes from local stuff (White Hag, Lough Gill, Kinnegar and Galway Bay). Don't get me wrong
    .. they're decent but does tend to be a bit "samey" on the shelves.

Hargadons in Sligo town is similar, but maybe a few more of the likes of Mescan etc.

There's a SuperValu in Ballisodare just outside Sligo town which always has a good mix to be honest.

That's kinda it really..

• Advertisement

Also, CarryOut in Carrick-On-Shannon is small but has a great selection..

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Sligo only had one solid offie - and it's Foley's. And with that, their Irish range barely changes from local stuff (White Hag, Lough Gill, Kinnegar and Galway Bay). Don't get me wrong

Hargadons in Sligo town is similar, but maybe a few more of the likes of Mescan etc.

There's a SuperValu in Ballisodare just outside Sligo town which always has a good mix to be honest.

That's kinda it really..

Thanks - I actually got recommended Ballisdare during summer and called in one day when passing. They have a good selection but kinda hoping to find a few other breweries - they mostly stock my regular go to but bf all else fails that is my back up plan.

That's kinda it really..

Foley's is a lovely little shop tbf, though a mare in Covid era. I do like that SV in Ballisodare.

Also, Cosgrove's Deli on Market St is probably one of my favourite shops in Ireland hands down. Love stopping off there on the way back to Dublin or on the way down from Dublin from/to Streedagh. Class.

Anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭flended12

Centra Rialto on South Circular Rd Dubkin is a small centra but a great selection usually harder to get craft beers.

I must say molloys aswell, well my own one in tallaght has a massive fridge and given the rest of the fridges have loads of stock of 7 or 8 fof the mainstream brands, they easily have 6 times the amount of craft choices. Local and international

Dare is say, their bargain bucket can hold some absolute belters, always worth a look.

Foley's is a lovely little shop tbf, though a mare in Covid era. I do like that SV in Ballisodare.
    Yeah, it’s a great little shop. They’re allowing in 2 customers at a time during Covid.. and even with that, it’s “snug”.
    Also, Cosgrove's Deli on Market St is probably one of my favourite shops in Ireland hands down. Love stopping off there on the way back to Dublin or on the way down from Dublin from/to Streedagh. Class.
    You can’t even go into Cosgrove’s anymore during Covid.. some of the best customer service, advice and fresh cheeses and meat you can buy!

It was the last shop I’d expect to branch into having an online presence but there you go: https://cosgroveandson.ie/

Anyways, back to booze... :D

Yeah, it’s a great little shop. They’re allowing in 2 customers at a time during Covid.. and even with that, it’s “snug”.

You can’t even go into Cosgrove’s anymore during Covid.. some of the best customer service, advice and fresh cheeses and meat you can buy!

It was the last shop I’d expect to branch into having an online presence but there you go: https://cosgroveandson.ie/

Anyways, back to booze... :D

Yeah. I've had the pleasure of standing outside in the drizzle whole waiting on ham and turkey to be sliced. Pennies for the merch. Ridiculous set up.

I implore other readers here to give them business if ever in Sligo. You won't be disappointed.

Back to booze...

Galway Bay Brewery are sharing videos on their Instagram of the box sets being put together. Sure looks like they are on schedule to ship next week.

Craft Central Advent Calendar Day 4:
    Wylam - I'm Not Mary Imperial IPA 440ml Can 10.6% ABV

Am not normally one to spend almost a tenner on a beer! :eek:

But given it’s a Friday night and it’s
    10%+
    , I’d say it’s a sipper!

Craft Central Advent Calendar Day 4:
    Wylam - I'm Not Mary Imperial IPA 440ml Can 10.6% ABV

Am not normally one to spend almost a tenner on a beer! :eek:

But given it’s a Friday night and it’s
    10%+
    , I’d say it’s a sipper!

I always pass over those given the cost, but the advent calendar seems to be working out at a decent value. I know there's another thread tracking overall price vs individual prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

flended12 wrote: »
    Centra Rialto on South Circular Rd Dubkin is a small centra but a great selection usually harder to get craft beers.

I must say molloys aswell, well my own one in tallaght has a massive fridge and given the rest of the fridges have loads of stock of 7 or 8 fof the mainstream brands, they easily have 6 times the amount of craft choices. Local and international

Dare is say, their bargain bucket can hold some absolute belters, always worth a look.

Is the one on SCR not a Mace?

Agreed though, great selection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭flended12

Is the one on SCR not a Mace?

Agreed though, great selection.

Apologies it is a MACE

578 S Circular Rd, Saint James' (part of Phoenix Park), Dublin 8

https://goo.gl/maps/dZMsi89Wm15psFqh9

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Beerclub.ie Day 4
    Dublin City Brewing Co Renegade Red Ale

Had it before and found it pretty bland to be honest.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Beerclub.ie Day 4

I've not heard / read great things about them. I remember not so long ago one of their beers suddenly got ALL 5 star ratings from quite a number of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I've not heard / read great things about them. I remember not so long ago one of their beers suddenly got ALL 5 star ratings from quite a number of people.

Yeah I saw that on Untappd I think.

Yeah I saw that on Untappd I think.

It all looked very odd - all 5 stars, from people with few / no other check ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Hi folks. I'm looking to buy a beer box (mix case, approx. 24 beers, various styles) as a Christmas present. Are there any recommendations? I realise I'm too late for the advent calender ones, but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Hi folks. I'm looking to buy a beer box (mix case, approx. 24 beers, various styles) as a Christmas present. Are there any recommendations? I realise I'm too late for the advent calender ones, but any other suggestions would be appreciated.
    Go to CraftCentral and pick your own? They've good offers on the mix-and-match multi-buys.

Beerclub.ie Day 4

Only ever had a couple of cans of it and it’s one of the worst red ales I’ve had.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

White Hag emailed today to say the TWH & Friends stout boxes should be shipped out in the middle of next week. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Beercloud have numerous mixed cases.

Advertisement