Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Basq wrote: »
    Craft Central Advent Calendar Day 10:
    Garage - Shallows Hazy Double IPA 440ml Can 8.8% ABV

Not had before and some DIPA's don't play well with me, so let's see.

I've had a few of their beers before and mostly found them unremarkable. Not bad but just expecting more because they seem highly rated in general

• Registered Users Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I've had a few of their beers before and mostly found them unremarkable. Not bad but just expecting more because they seem highly rated in general
    Yeah, didn't wow me either. For a DIPA, it was quite flavourless.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

My 200 Fathoms arrrived today along with a bottle of Whiskey from Flaviar. We have way too much booze i the house now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

My 200 Fathoms arrrived today along with a bottle of Whiskey from Flaviar. We have way too much booze i the house now.

Only one way to sort out this situation....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Having too much booze at the start of december is in some ways a good plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think I've enough high abv stuff anyway, it's a few more sessionable beers I need to add to the stock at this stage. Until I get sucked into the next round of specials!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

One bottle of 200 Fathoms left in Molloy's in Clonsilla if someone's quick. Few bottles of BA Leann Follain there too for anyone who's looking for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Whiplash have released some of their "LET IT END" on the webshop - http://www.whiplashbeer.com/shop/let-it-end-440ml-can

Created as part of Honest Brew’s Tastes of Tomorrow collection, Let. It. End. is a rich, viscous and decadent Imperial Stout produced by using new methods, including futuristic mash separation technology to concentrate worts to densities rarely seen by humankind and minimal boiling to preserve the nuance of the malts. There’s also loads of maple syrup and French toast chucked in there for some reason.

I threw in an order for some, plus the fancy glass which is now in stock - http://www.whiplashbeer.com/shop/whiplash-glass. Asked for glassware from my prefered Irish breweries as part of my family Secret Santa...! So hopefully I'll have a few to add to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Whiplash have released some of their "LET IT END" on the webshop - http://www.whiplashbeer.com/shop/let-it-end-440ml-can

Created as part of Honest Brew’s Tastes of Tomorrow collection, Let. It. End. is a rich, viscous and decadent Imperial Stout produced by using new methods, including futuristic mash separation technology to concentrate worts to densities rarely seen by humankind and minimal boiling to preserve the nuance of the malts. There’s also loads of maple syrup and French toast chucked in there for some reason.

I threw in an order for some, plus the fancy glass which is now in stock - http://www.whiplashbeer.com/shop/whiplash-glass. Asked for glassware from my prefered Irish breweries as part of my family Secret Santa...! So hopefully I'll have a few to add to it.

I remember the first time that glass appeared in one of the whiplash social media posts.... A prescient comment beneath it by a random poster was something along the lines of "watch all these pissheads covet your glass". It's killing me that I've put in all my festive beer orders already at this stage, I don't care if its little more than a symbol of the instagramification of my beer drinking, I definitely would have been all over one of them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I think I've enough high abv stuff anyway, it's a few more sessionable beers I need to add to the stock at this stage. Until I get sucked into the next round of specials!
    Please see the below...
    Pen Rua wrote:
    :rolleyes: :D

And also...
    Fall_Guy wrote: »
    I don't care if its little more than a symbol of the instagramification of my beer drinking

• Advertisement

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    I remember the first time that glass appeared in one of the whiplash social media posts.... A prescient comment beneath it by a random poster was something along the lines of "watch all these pissheads covet your glass". It's killing me that I've put in all my festive beer orders already at this stage, I don't care if its little more than a symbol of the instagramification of my beer drinking, I definitely would have been all over one of them :D

The timing didn't work so well. I know I had asked about it weeks ago when I put in another order, and was told they were finalising the packaging to send to customers.

I don't typically post beer to Instagram, but always include a photo on Untappd. I like the having the brewery glassware, and it was an easy suggestion for Secret Santa.

Craft Central Advent Calendar Day 11:
    Eight Degrees - Black Ball Barrel Aged Imperial Stout 440ml Can 11.2% ABV

Never thought much of Eight Degrees range.. maybe this will change my mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Interesting, while not the biggest IPA drinker always found the full Irish to be up there with some of the best I've had over the years.

limnam wrote: »
    Interesting, while not the biggest IPA drinker always found the full Irish to be up there with some of the best I've had over the years.

I picked up their Belgian Tripel aged in sherry battles. Curious!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

About 5 or 6 years ago, 8 degrees were considered by many to be the best brewery in Ireland. Everything they made just seemed to shine.
    Then the odd poor offering seemed to creep in, then inconsistencies. The last 8degrees beer I had, I thought was awful (citra). Strange how the mighty can fall!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ah, I wouldn't say they've fallen much. The Irish Monroe series this year was very good, as was the 8 Ball series in 2019. And bottles of Knockmealdown Porter were always worth picking up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

About 5 or 6 years ago, 8 degrees were considered by many to be the best brewery in Ireland. Everything they made just seemed to shine.
    Then the odd poor offering seemed to creep in, then inconsistencies. The last 8degrees beer I had, I thought was awful (citra). Strange how the mighty can fall!

I rarely buy their core range now. It's one of the few craft beers available in my local offy but the past few cans I've had were just average. Still buy their seasonals though.

Craft Central Advent Calendar Day 12:
    O Brother - Bat Country Triple IPA 440ml Can 10.4% ABV

Cool looking can but considering I wasn't feeling 100% after Garage's DIPA on Thursday, may give this a miss. Will save til Christmas.

Craft Central Advent Calendar Day 12:
    O Brother - Bat Country Triple IPA 440ml Can 10.4% ABV

Cool looking can but considering I wasn't feeling 100% after Garage's DIPA on Thursday, may give this a miss. Will save til Christmas.

I have this bought separately and looking forward to it. Really enjoy their one off range.

Craft Central Advent Calendar Day 11:
    Eight Degrees - Black Ball Barrel Aged Imperial Stout 440ml Can 11.2% ABV

What did you think of this? Have to say I'm not a huge fan of 8 Degrees either, and this didn't impress me at all. However after seeing people here praise their Hill of the Serpent dark ale I decided to give it a go and was glad I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭flended12

Sipping the mint stout from White Hag this evening, refereshing, wouldnt drink many to be honest, but its a more realistic taste than the pastry range.

Think of cold after eights in a glass! But just enough hint of mint choc.

flended12 wrote: »
    Sipping the mint stout from White Hag this evening, refereshing, wouldnt drink many to be honest, but its a more realistic taste than the pastry range.

Rascals had a mint chocolate stout out about 3 or 4 years ago which I remember as being pretty unremarkable. There was only a very light hint of mint at the very end iirc. Must see if I can get my hands on one of these to see if it's any better.

That mint Dark Druid was out last Christmas.. think it's one of the best from the Dark Druid series.

If you like After Eights (and who doesn't), you're onto a winner but you'd only have the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

If you like After Eights (and who doesn't)

Disgusting

I also despise Bountys but I still enjoy Mint and Coconut stouts

I have to say.. I'm not a big fan of lager but I do really like TWH Roc Helles.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

That mint Dark Druid was out last Christmas.. think it's one of the best from the Dark Druid series.
    It's a White Sow not a Dark Druid, in case anyone's asking for it.

Craft Central Advent Calendar Day 13:
    Ballykilcavan - Clancy's Cans #3 Tiramisu Dessert Stout 440ml Can 7.8% ABV

Was hoping for a
    coffee stout
    but this seems a bit on the sweet side for me! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

I have to say.. I'm not a big fan of lager but I do really like TWH Roc Helles.

I'd agree with you there, I was hoping they would pop the Kolsch style (that I wasn't selected for :( )up on the webstore as I'd really like to have tasted that.

Tried their Salted Caramel Pastry Stout, wasn't as sweet as I was expecting but still I wouldn't drink too many even though it is very drinkable.

Grabbed a can of each of Siren's Twin Flames too off Craft Central as it sounded interesting, one carbonated and the other nitrogenated. Tasted like two completely different ales to me, with the nitro being so smooth and so much nicer than the carbonated. It actually reminded me a lot of a red IPA that Kinnegar do (possibly Bucket Brigade, same ABV too), which reminds me I need to order some Rustbucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

flended12 wrote: »

I get a cold Aero mint chocolate vibe off it myself, one that was sitting in the fridge all day....yummy :D

• Advertisement

Craft Central Advent Calendar Day 14:
    Trouble Brewing - DiDi New England Pale Ale 440ml Can 4.7% ABV

Not had it before but very partial to a
    NEIPA
    so will definitely be enjoying this later!

Advertisement