Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Pen Rua wrote: »
    What's the consensus on these events? I'm in between getting the box and not....
    I set aside my scepticism and joined one of these online beer festivals last year. Wasn't for me. Sitting at a screen drinking cans is a pretty ****ty compromise on the real deal. I'll just wait until we can physically go to one of these events where you can actually meet people and have a bit of craic. Online seems very forced and contrived. Just my opinion though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I set aside my scepticism and joined one of these online beer festivals last year. Wasn't for me. Sitting at a screen drinking cans is a pretty ****ty compromise on the real deal. I'll just wait until we can physically go to one of these events where you can actually meet people and have a bit of craic. Online seems very forced and contrived. Just my opinion though..

Thanks for being so forthright! I had the same inkling too. Plus, Mrs Pen Rua wouldn't be in to it so I would be on my own for the evening. Might be different if someone else would be here to split a can etc. Hm, I'll have a think and see...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I enjoy them, but they're definitely no substitute for real life festivals. The way I see it is I'm going to be sitting in that evening anyway and will be buying beers regardless so this is at least something different to do.

I'd say Brian would send you the Zoom link if you wanted to have a listen in without committing to buying the box first time round as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Well they've definitely expanded my range of beer styles. Obviously, when the rules allowed it was more craic(?) when the in-laws joined too, so we'd get two boxes between 4 of us. Virtual anything isn't for everyone, but probably be a while yet before there's a real world festival, or even a pub meet-up!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I see Ireland craft beverages have deplatformed The White Hag over the brewer, Joe's pro Trump views!

I'm no fan of most of their beers anymore and I'm most certainly not a Trump fan but I think this is a bit daft, really.

I'd already decided to stop buying their beers before this! (apart from the Heather Sour, that is)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

alcohol and politics...always a delightful mix. :o

To loop it back to the virtual festivals, he was one of the few brewers that I really didn't warm to at all when he was on one of them last year.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    To loop it back to the virtual festivals, he was one of the few brewers that I really didn't warm to at all when he was on one of them last year.

I took a dislike to him because he used a really stinky vape indoors, in public!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Seems he's gone as far as trying to defend the Proud Boys. Won't be buying anything more.

L1011 wrote: »
    Seems he's gone as far as trying to defend the Proud Boys. Won't be buying anything more.

Where's all this going down?

• Advertisement

Where's all this going down?

https://twitter.com/IrelandCraft/status/1352007147236827140

edit: that tweets been deleted and his protected his own account now

Also protected his instagram

https://twitter.com/IrelandCraft/status/1352152433712128003

This is the Proud Boys support/defence Instagram post

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

https://twitter.com/IrelandCraft/status/1352007147236827140

edit: that tweets been deleted and his protected his own account now

Also protected his instagram

https://twitter.com/IrelandCraft/status/1352152433712128003

This is the Proud Boys support/defence Instagram post

Holy jaysus. Joe done lost his mind.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's two or three years since someone first told me that Joe was posting mad right-wing stuff on social media, so this isn't new. I'm not aware of the brewery having taken any action about it before, but I think they might be wise to do so now.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Wonder why Ireland craft took down the call out post?
    Is this guy the monster responsible for the chocolate orange pastry stout? Should have been twittershamed for that

I see Ireland craft beverages have deplatformed The White Hag over the brewer, Joe's pro Trump views!

I'm no fan of most of their beers anymore and I'm most certainly not a Trump fan but I think this is a bit daft, really.

I'd already decided to stop buying their beers before this! (apart from the Heather Sour, that is)

That's absolutely ridiculous of them. I don't agree with what he's saying but if he can make beer then that is all that should matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭bennyl10

That's absolutely ridiculous of them. I don't agree with what he's saying but if he can make beer then that is all that should matter.

It’s still not a great look and I can understand people not supporting someone with those views

Possibly. But for me, a bit of story about a brewery or brewer adds to it all for me. I saw Rascals were donating money to local charities for every case of beer they sell, this makes me want to go out of my way to buy their beer, I like the sound of the people running the brewery.

With Joe, it sounds like he has some beliefs that I utterly abhor, and that will make me more likely to not buy his beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Possibly. But for me, a bit of story about a brewery or brewer adds to it all for me. I saw Rascals were donating money to local charities for every case of beer they sell, this makes me want to go out of my way to buy their beer, I like the sound of the people running the brewery.

With Joe, it sounds like has some beliefs that I utterly abhor, and that will make me more likely to not buy his beer.

What were those views? I assume there was worse?

I can only see the single Tweet which is "The Proud Boys are not white supremacists".

With Joe, it sounds like has some beliefs that I utterly abhor, and that will make me more likely to not buy his beer.

It's an interesting conversation for sure, but equally it is not just "his" beer. I am sure White Hag have many others in their employ, so in my head: by boycotting them on the basis of one person's views, you now jeopardize the livelihoods of the others.

It's an interesting conversation for sure, but equally it is not just "his" beer. I am sure White Hag have many others in their employ, so in my head: by boycotting them on the basis of one person's views, you now jeopardize the livelihoods of the others.

Yeah you are dead right, I am sure Joe isn't the head of a Ballymote branch of the proud boys and I'm not likely to be standing outside the brewery with a plackard anytime soon.

With such a divided online world, beer twitter is one of those places that offers a bit of respite from what can feel like a constant stream of s**t. I'd hope this at least would be a lesson for others to just talk about beer.

• Advertisement

With Joe, it sounds like he has some beliefs that I utterly abhor, and that will make me more likely to not buy his beer.

I'd probably behave in a similar way but Ireland Craft Beverages could have quietly stopped purchasing from WH. It just seems a bit, needlessly, political to make a public announcement. Having said that, I haven't seen much of what he posted.

Strange times we live in, really.

What were those views? I assume there was worse?

I can only see the single Tweet which is "The Proud Boys are not white supremacists".

Defending Proud Boys and railing against 'Marxism' - thats enough of a representation of his views for me.

This, quite a lot actually. Now, when I'm trying whittle down a massive cart, White Hag are more likely to see the "remove" icon.

I can understand that, and it is such a saturated but even market here that the little things do count when it comes to choosing. There just seems to be a single acceptable way to think now and I wouldn’t want to see everyone driven out of business just because an employee didn’t toe the line.

He's a 10% shareholder (as per last AR), not just 'an employee'

I can understand that, and it is such a saturated but even market here that the little things do count when it comes to choosing. There just seems to be a single acceptable way to think now and I wouldn’t want to see everyone driven out of business just because an employee didn’t toe the line.

I really feel for the rest of the people behind WH. I'm not sure they can sack him over this but damage is being done to the brand, obviously.
    It a horrible situation to find yourself in. They must be raging at him. I can't see that guy stepping away without a fight.
    Perhaps they could fire him for damaging the brand with all his stupid novelty beers!

He's a 10% shareholder (as per last AR), not just 'an employee'

Oh, oh!

Doesn't mean that he has to remain an employee.

No completely, I don't think that should be the case either, I don't want to see the White Hag driven out of business. But this isn't just being a fan of Trump. Lots of good people like Trump for their own varying reasons. We should encourage different views, and the world is generally better for it, however I would class his views as being extremist views.

The Proud Boys are aren't just deviating from "a single acceptable way" of thinking in all fairness. A lot of (most?) conservatives in the US would also find them unacceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,854 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Didn't similar happen in the US when one of the owners of a craft brewery turned out to be a massive sexist/racist? Did huge damage to them IIRC. White Hag need to get out from under this and fast.

Edit: just saw this on their Twitter, hope for their sake the new hire isn't starting until after this has been dealt with...

https://twitter.com/TheWhiteHag/status/1348980735999401989

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement