Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Didn't similar happen in the US when one of the owners of a craft brewery turned out to be a massive sexist/racist? Did huge damage to them IIRC. White Hag need to get out from under this and fast.

Founders

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Didn't similar happen in the US when one of the owners of a craft brewery turned out to be a massive sexist/racist? Did huge damage to them IIRC. White Hag need to get out from under this and fast.

Founders. They did not handle it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I'd agree with others, I'm now an awful lot less likely to buy their beer. Thats no reflection on the staff of white hag or the quality of their beer nor am I calling on the guy to be sacked but the reality is that while people can have free speech and he is entitled to his (extreme IMO) views, you are not free from the consequences of those views. If you lose customers because you are openly supporting a far right organisation like the proud boys you can't turn around and say "free speech" or "I'm just expressing my view".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Well, if anyone feels like stepping in to help them manage this mess, they are hiring a Communications & Marketing Exec...

https://www.thewhitehag.com/2021/01/11/comms_marketing-exec/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Could be a good time to bring in a new head brewer and refocus on what they're doing. They must've released close to 25 new beers last year which were mostly forgettable or downright awful. Malafemmena was the only one I can remember really liking. Boxtravaganza was brilliant though, I hope they do it again this year if the festival isn't going ahead on site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭s8n

Could be a good time to bring in a new head brewer and refocus on what they're doing. They must've released close to 25 new beers last year which were mostly forgettable or downright awful. Malafemmena was the only one I can remember really liking. Boxtravaganza was brilliant though, I hope they do it again this year if the festival isn't going ahead on site.

Atlantean was a fantastic beer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

s8n wrote: »
    Atlantean was a fantastic beer

Yeah it's pretty good but was first released in 2017 I believe

Ireland Craft Beverages are there international distributor, I'm guessing? Who are they with in Ireland - have they let them go too? I wonder, contractually, how Ireland Craft Beverages can drop them?

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Ireland Craft Beverages are there international distributor, I'm guessing? Who are they with in Ireland - have they let them go too? I wonder, contractually, how Ireland Craft Beverages can drop them?

Grand Cru. Who, going on what they retweet on Twitter, may tilt somewhat left of centre politically.

Many of these sorts of contracts have get outs for reputational risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

L1011 wrote: »
    Grand Cru. Who, going on what they retweet on Twitter, may tilt somewhat left of centre politically.

Many of these sorts of contracts have get outs for reputational risk.

Janey, I always get the impression they do a lot of exporting aswell. That would be a huge blow.

• Advertisement

Janey, I always get the impression they do a lot of exporting aswell. That would be a huge blow.

Out of most English people I know, White Hag are the Irish craft beer brand most of them would be familiar with.

L1011 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/IrelandCraft/status/1352007147236827140

edit: that tweets been deleted and his protected his own account now

Also protected his instagram

https://twitter.com/IrelandCraft/status/1352152433712128003

This is the Proud Boys support/defence Instagram post

Both tweets from Ireland Craft Beverages have been deleted, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Both tweets from Ireland Craft Beverages have been deleted, it seems.

This is the kind of shltstorm that isn't good for any business, I don't know why they willingly walked themselves into it.

They may be hoping a cleanup of old social posts will be enough and, realistically, it probably will be unless some bored journo needs a story

• Registered Users Posts: 34,854 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

By "they" do you mean ICB, WH or both?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Both possibly! WH more so.

My box for the bingo tomorrow hasn't arrived as it happens but I presume my Zoom code or whatever will so it'll be interesting to see if it's just Bob on his own or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,854 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'd find it very uncomfortable working alongside someone if I found out they have views like that, and I'm a straight white guy, imagine if you were a minority working in WH?

Not good. Not good at all. Free speech doesn't mean free from consequences and I think WH are making a huge mistake if they think they can just brush this under the carpet and say nothing. Ireland is a small country, sooner or later this WILL hit the media.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

US brewery Bear Republic has landed in Ireland - first up in Craft Central.

https://craftcentral.ie/collections/bear-republic

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭BalboBiggins

Lads are there any craft collections that are considered the best?

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »

Reasoned response from them and no indication anyone is losing their job over this which is good imo.

"an employee" isn't that substantive a term for your head brewer and partial owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

US brewery Bear Republic has landed in Ireland - first up in Craft Central.

https://craftcentral.ie/collections/bear-republic

I've bought their beer here before

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I've bought their beer here before

Yeah I remember Racer 5 available here back about 6/7 years ago.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Yeah I remember Racer 5 available here back about 6/7 years ago.
    Marks & Spencer was selling Racer 5 and Grand-Am two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

BeerNut wrote: »

Bit of a cop out describing one of the owners as an "employee" and it goes beyond political opinion. He's sharing unhinged proud boys and qAnon sh*te. The later especially being rooted in deeply anti-semetic bigotry is extremely problematic.

They essentially made a statement to say they aren't making a statement.

If there was no really problematic posts, why has he scrubbed his Instagram?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I've met Joe a few times at festivals, he had a stinky pipe the last time.

Seemed a bit of a mess. It's always the feckin immigrants moaning about other immigrants.

Ah here, someone just sent me pictures of him talking about that Q crap and save the children etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

RasTa wrote: »

Seemed a bit of a mess. It's always the feckin immigrants moaning about other immigrants.

Ah here, someone just sent me pictures of him talking about that Q crap and save the children etc.

He is firmly in the Gemma O'Doherty category here. Bleedin hell.

What a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

RasTa wrote: »

He's deleted everything from his Instagram. I'd imagine his parlar and telegram accounts are a total cluster ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

He's deleted everything from his Instagram. I'd imagine his parlar and telegram accounts are a total cluster ****.

Got any screenshots you can PM?

Advertisement