Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

With those kegs you really need to have someone - or more than one other - to drink it with, because they're flat and warm by the time you struggle to your ninth pint. They do not close up and stay in the fridge for another go well.

Had the same type of keg from Hope rather than St Mels but there isn't a different way to handle them really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

L1011 wrote: »
    With those kegs you really need to have someone - or more than one other - to drink it with, because they're flat and warm by the time you struggle to your ninth pint. They do not close up and stay in the fridge for another go well.

Had the same type of keg from Hope rather than St Mels but there isn't a different way to handle them really.

Agreed. Bought a Hope one, was quite flat by day two. Thought it might just have been me and bought some other Irish brewery's one - can't remember which, now - and it was the same. Only way I'd get one again is if we're entertaining and I know it'll be finished the same day. So - August or September, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Had a Dead Centre one in the summer, but was sharing. I think you'd need a dispenser to go more than a day (which by the time you pay for that makes any pay back long).

I got a rascals one during the summer and to my shame I drank two cans after it was done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭emmalynn19

Agreed. Bought a Hope one, was quite flat by day two. Thought it might just have been me and bought some other Irish brewery's one - can't remember which, now - and it was the same. Only way I'd get one again is if we're entertaining and I know it'll be finished the same day. So - August or September, maybe?

Are people just drinking these from the plastic nozzle at the front? They are supposed to go into a CO2 dispenser surely.

• Advertisement

They're grand open and drink. You'd need the dispenser with CO2 for them to last. The one I had was lager, and even the last dregs were ok regarding carbonation. But that was three of us, so we fairly milled through it!

3 is probably enough to get through it; 2 and it'll be flat by the end; on your own you could be flat by the end!

Whenever its possible to actually have people around for BBQs and similar, a few different of those on the go would be very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

3 is probably enough to get through it; 2 and it'll be flat by the end; on your own you could be flat by the end!

Whenever its possible to actually have people around for BBQs and similar, a few different of those on the go would be very handy.

But, generally, they are no cheaper per litre than buying cans, as far as I've seen.
    Apart from slightly less packaging (perhaps not as they are thicker), I just don't see the point.

But, generally, they are no cheaper per litre than buying cans, as far as I've seen.
    Apart from slightly less packaging (perhaps not as they are thicker), I just don't see the point.

The perception thing from having a "poured" (dribbled out a plastic tap) "pint" (in a 500ml glass) is very significant to a lot of people though.

I've been tempted by the dispensers a few times, but ultimately I like to try too many different beers as well as the sums not adding up. You'd want to love a specific beer, and be sure that it'll be available. I'm in a few home bar facebook groups and can't get my head around the money they spend on their set ups (and after that still works out at €2.50 a pint before gas)!

• Advertisement

The perception thing from having a "poured" (dribbled out a plastic tap) "pint" (in a 500ml glass) is very significant to a lot of people though.

I can see that with a dispenser, having a properly chilled, properly carbonated beer with a proper head poured at home is a nice novelty. How dribbling flat beer out of a plastic tube relates to this is anyones guess.

emmalynn19 wrote: »
    I can see that with a dispenser, having a properly chilled, properly carbonated beer with a proper head poured at home is a nice novelty. How dribbling flat beer out of a plastic tube relates to this is anyones guess.

They're made and sold to be drunk out the tube on the front. Pressure equalisation input on the top - this is the manufacturers docs on them.

Anyone using them with a pressurised dispenser is going to be in the minority.

The beer won't be flat if its drunk quickly but the last few glasses worth are a nightmare to get out as you have to tilt the keg or wait many minutes for it to dribble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I got a rascals one during the summer and to my shame I drank two cans after it was done.

I went through one from early afternoon on a nice day during a week off, sure it was the first lockdown, what else was I supposed to do!

We did the Valentines Beer Box gimmick thing... Rascals Love Box for herself, and I got the Brú box (I'm a sucker for beerstagram friendly glass!). Surprised and impressed that the actual Brú van just delivered it!

The beer isn't flat and doesn't dribble out - it's under (a little) pressure, at least for the first few pints. The last pint may be a different story.

The beer isn't flat and doesn't dribble out - it's under (a little) pressure, at least for the first few pints. The last pint may be a different story.

At least for the first few pints? What use is that?

I use a minikeg dispenser for homebrew, beer remains under pressure for the whole keg, pour is consistent, beer is chilled, shielded from oxygen and lasts fine for the week or two it might take to get through it.

Dispensing minikegs via the plastic tube is terrible in comparison. Other than the novelty factor, it makes zero sense to buy these instead of just buying cans of the same beer.

I've only had one, and carbonation was fine right to the end, between 3 of us. Had to tip to get the very last bit was all. It was good, but I haven't brought another, or a dispenser!

At least for the first few pints? What use is that?

I use a minikeg dispenser for homebrew, beer remains under pressure for the whole keg, pour is consistent, beer is chilled, shielded from oxygen and lasts fine for the week or two it might take to get through it.

Dispensing minikegs via the plastic tube is terrible in comparison. Other than the novelty factor, it makes zero sense to buy these instead of just buying cans of the same beer.

/shrug You do you. Novelty factor is a thing, which is why I tried two of them. Like I said, I won't be buying one again unless I'm entertaining - in which case, they're grand. I don't see the point in spending twice the value of the mini-keg on a dispensing system I'll rarely use. In the meantime, I've proper 19l Corny kegs for homebrew.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

I have had 4 or 5 of the mini kegs from a few different brewery. I have found the pressure to be fine. There is a novelty factor to them and if drinking on own probably not bother with them again as the last pint or two is flat when i go to finish the next evening but if I'm drinking with one or two others I would get one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭flended12

Family booked a week in Louisburgh Mayo in August.

10mins from Mescan Brewery. I'll be visiting of course.

2021 just got better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I don't think licencing fees were really part of the reason for bringing in Rockshore; it was that it was all but inevitable Diageo would lose Budweiser to C&C who were already involved with ABInbev. Which has since happened.

Back to the Larkins stuff - I wonder which other Irish brewers will start doing multipacks due to the legislation changes? Rye River have done four boxes of the canned non-core range McGargles for a while now - I've never seen said cans sold single.

Galway Bay Brewery on Instagram are showing 4 packs of Althea (their hazy pale ale) rolling off the packaging line. Caption says Full Sail, Weights & Measures to follow too.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Galway Bay Brewery on Instagram are showing 4 packs of Althea (their hazy pale ale) rolling off the packaging line. Caption says Full Sail, Weights & Measures to follow too.
    O'Briens in Bray had a multipack of Galway Bay - I noticed the pack, but didn't notice which beer.

They had the Revolver 6 pack at €12. As per the other thread, I was impressed at that VFM - but well over stocked for the coming weekend (so just a couple of Kinnegar and a St Mels "My Twist" brought instead from the €3 range!)

For us Whiplash fan boys, another drop on the webshop due today. They're saying 3 new releases this week, but so far only one due on webshop today. Announcing 2 today?

https://twitter.com/whiplashbeer/status/1359169129857617920

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well they've certainly announced one more today

https://twitter.com/whiplashbeer/status/1359483877241282560

Part 2 of the tweet...
    Fermented on Coconut Puree for a creamy and thick Bounty Bar mouthfeel consistency before a heavy coffee addition of bright single origin Ethiopian coffee from our friends at 3FE and the final addition of roasted hazelnuts to garnish this sauce with more decadence.

Zaph wrote: »

Part 2 of the tweet...

3rd TBA today, going live on webshop this evening.

I'm not a fanboy... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 nestegg

Spoiler alert.... 3/3 of is a probably the brown ale with maple syrup that is on craft central now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

bounty bar mouthfeel.

I'd rather not have gritty coconut in my mouthfeels :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Zaph wrote: »

Part 2 of the tweet...

The last time they put hazlenuts in a stout they forgot to roast them and the stout was undrinkable but they managed to save it by lashing a hape of expensive 3FE coffee into it.

Hopefully they roast these ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Which one was that? Not the recent Heart of Chambers?

• Advertisement

I like a freshen up after Christmas coming into the spring, not more dark gloop.

Advertisement