Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Put an order in with the new Yards and Crafts place. Not a massive selection but what they have is quality and fresh. Got a one of each of those Fuerst Wiacek beera and a load of other random stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Trouble Brewing bottles of Dark Arts Porter are only €1.25 in my local off licence ...nice and smooth... goes down very easily

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Picked up plenty of beers I haven't tried for the weekend:

- Rascals - Spacehopper
    - Rascals - The Breakfast Of Champions
    - Rascals - Big Hop Red
    - Larkins - Pale Ale
    - Whiplash - Hot Pursuit
    - Galway Bay - Buried At Sea
    - Dead Centre - Marooned

Big fans of Rascals stuff lately so expecting good things. Anyone any thoughts?

Update, girlfriend also got me the Rascals Love Box for Valentines so a good weekend was had.

The Rascals Breakfast of Champions was excellent, looking forward to the Milkshake Stout release.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Anyone else get a receipt just there for theor November 11th purchase of the 200 fathoms boxset?

:Confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Anyone else get a receipt just there for theor November 11th purchase of the 200 fathoms boxset?

Huh, I did - mine is saying 12 Nov order.

• Advertisement

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Huh, I did - mine is saying 12 Nov order.

Sorry, I meant 12th.

Seems all the brouhaha on the day is finally working its way out of the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Yeah I did

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Can I ask when do they usually put the 200 Fathoms boxset on their website for sale? Late October/early November?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Can I ask when do they usually put the 200 Fathoms boxset on their website for sale? Late October/early November?

The box set was a new gimmick this year. There was no 200 Fathoms the previous year. Prior to that you'd just have to look in decent local offies whenever it was released and hope it wasn't all bought before you got there!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

I did. Still haven't had a reply to my email asking if they'd compensate/provide a replacement to me for the broken bottle and glass that they badly packed and shipped me.

• Advertisement

That's fair bad form after all this time tbf

Whiplash constantly seem to have release after release. Are they on par / ahead of other Irish breweries?

https://twitter.com/whiplashbeer/status/1361646762902097921

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Whiplash constantly seem to have release after release. Are they on par / ahead of other Irish breweries?

https://twitter.com/whiplashbeer/status/1361646762902097921

I'm no expert in craft brewing but Im pretty sure the ideal business model is to have a few core range beers and then be constantly releasing limited edition beers. It maintains customer interest in your brand and in Whiplash's case it helps that most of their limited editions beers are pretty good

It's actually starting to push me the other way now. You've just done an order and a heap of new ones land, so I tend to just ignore the ones that do it completely.

It's actually starting to push me the other way now. You've just done an order and a heap of new ones land, so I tend to just ignore the ones that do it completely.

Getting to that stage now too - would have prefered they did 6 new releases this week as opposed to 3 last week, 3 this week. That way I get my 6 can order. Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

They make very good New England style IPA's and Pale Ales.
    Their regular porter is a bit rough around the edges but grand, their recent coffee porter with 3FE was spectacular. I've had a few other styles they've made and they've been hit and miss, a Belgian dubbel a few years back was particularly poor.

They remind me of Cloud Water in that they seem to re-release what is basically the same DIPA with different hops every few weeks. Yeah they're good, but like, we knew that after the first version 3 years ago. There's undoubtably brewing talent there, but the brewery itself has been a bit of a one trick pony.
    Buisness model seems to be selling the idea of scarcity but releasing essentially the same beer with different hops in small batches regularly at pretty high prices.

In fairness it's working for them, they have a dedicated army of fan boys who lap it up.

More power to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Getting to that stage now too - would have prefered they did 6 new releases this week as opposed to 3 last week, 3 this week. That way I get my 6 can order. Meh.
    It's a nice boon for UPS, as well as the brewery, the way they are doing it anyway. Great beers, but I'd end up drinking nothing but whiplash the rate they are going.

I get sucked in all the time, but this approach is one that has me less inclined to buy direct to be honest, as at least I can mix it up buying from the online off licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Richie71

I did. Still haven't had a reply to my email asking if they'd compensate/provide a replacement to me for the broken bottle and glass that they badly packed and shipped me.

Same here. Just a broken glass though.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

They remind me of Cloud Water in that they seem to re-release what is basically the same DIPA with different hops every few weeks. Yeah they're good, but like, we knew that after the first version 3 years ago. There's undoubtably brewing talent there, but the brewery itself has been a bit of a one trick pony.

Aside from IPAs and DIPAs, in the last 12 months they have released a coffee porter, an imperial stout, a dubbel, a schwarzbier, a smoked stout, a baltic porter, a tripel, a grisette, a brown ale, and a Belgian pale. I'm not sure if there's any other Irish brewery producing such a wide variety of styles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You need to follow that up, as they obviously just made a mistake in not getting back to you. They won't suddenly remember!

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It's a nice boon for UPS, as well as the brewery, the way they are doing it anyway.

Except any time I get my cans they seemed to have been fairly chucked around, as they all have multiple dents in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anything packed without cardboard between the cans and a relatively thick box (e.g. craftcentral) is going to get a bit of a bashing. Had an actual burst with Whiplash, brewery sorted it out perfectly, but the lighter weight packaging is going to increase the risk

Its a decision as to the shipping *and* environmental costs though. I recycle my cardboard but it will still have consumed energy and degraded the paper fibres in said cardboard one more time (they only have so many cycles before they get too short to be useful). Dinked cans still drink fine.

I'm fairly sure that a mixed box I got from Beercloud was 100% dented, as if it was made using the left overs from damaged inbound deliveries :pac: - but every beer was still perfectly drinkable.

If you are ordering from anywhere, ensuring a full box will help avoid dents even more. I've only ever gone for 24 for Craftcentral, so I don't know what smaller box sizes they have but I'm sure other people do. From what I've seen, Beercloud have 12 and 24 boxes definitely; Whiplash 6 and 24, Kildare Brewing have 12s; and probably more sizes for each too.

Effects wrote: »
    Except any time I get my cans they seemed to have been fairly chucked around, as they all have multiple dents in them.

Yup - each can in the 6 pack I got last week was pretty badly dented. I had originally assumed they were just the duds not suitable to go to retail. Didn’t factor in the transport / little padding in the parcel. Not that it impacts the beer.

I hadn't thought about them packing with cans not suitable for retail.
    A friend of mine used to live with a guy who worked at Beavertown, and they had a shelf in the fridge that was always full of dented cans.

L1011 wrote: »
    [snip]

If you are ordering from anywhere, ensuring a full box will help avoid dents even more. I've only ever gone for 24 for Craftcentral, so I don't know what smaller box sizes they have but I'm sure other people do. From what I've seen, Beercloud have 12 and 24 boxes definitely; Whiplash 6 and 24, Kildare Brewing have 12s; and probably more sizes for each too.

I've had smaller orders from CraftCentral in early Lockdown 1 - they still used the x24 can box.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Again this is my personal account but I do just want to say we absolutely do not ship cans that are "not suitable for retail" to online shop customers! I'm aware of cans being dented in transit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Twee. wrote: »
    Again this is my personal account but I do just want to say we absolutely do not ship cans that are "not suitable for retail" to online shop customers! I'm aware of cans being dented in transit.

Have to ask - does that mean you don't ship dented cans to online customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

No complaints on the mix of styles from Whiplash - it's probably what draws me back. I just can't keep up.
    L1011 wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure that a mixed box I got from Beercloud was 100% dented, as if it was made using the left overs from damaged inbound deliveries :pac: - but every beer was still perfectly drinkable.
    I don't recall getting any from beercloud dented, or bottles broken, but have had it on Whiplash orders (but also had a glass get through fine).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Have to ask - does that mean you don't ship dented cans to online customers?

Yeah - he didn't explicitly say they didn't ship dented cans - just cans that aren't suitable for retail.

Is a slightly dented can ever suitable for retail? I thought the answer would be no due to risk of air ingress and the risk of spoilage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Sorry if that was unclear - dented cans do not get sold in our online shop. They are not dented when they are packed for online orders. I'm not trying to be cryptic here.
    I'm aware of cans getting dented in transit, after they have been packed and have left for shipping.

Advertisement