Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

Again I find it hilarious that people are getting upset about the size of a can, without ever enquiring about the price!
    It would appear that the aversion to cans that aren't 500ml has nothing to do with value.

What if a brewery brought out 550 ml cans?
    Would they be better?
    What about 600 ml?
    Or is there something magical about 500 ml?

Do the same people hate 330 cans, too?
    Are 355 cans slightly less loathsome?

I think a nitro can should fill a pint glass. No need for 600 or 355 or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Again I find it hilarious that people are getting upset about the size of a can, without ever enquiring about the price!
    It would appear that the aversion to cans that aren't 500ml has nothing to do with value.

What if a brewery brought out 550 ml cans?
    Would they be better?
    What about 600 ml?
    Or is there something magical about 500 ml?

Do the same people hate 330 cans, too?
    Are 355 cans slightly less loathsome?

330 can hater here- too damn small for normal abv 4-5% core beers. Another reason I dislike white hag

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm not bothered about 440ml v 500ml, but tend to avoid 330ml. Too small on their own, too much too have two. I don't really buy US stuff, so 355ml not really on my radar too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,780 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Well, my experience is that a number of Irish breweries have gone from 500ml bottles to 440ml cans at parity pricing.

However, is that masking a price rise we would have had to the 500s?

Some others have gone 330ml bottles to 440ml cans without particularly large price rises, though - 8 Degrees for instance/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

L1011 wrote: »
    Well, my experience is that a number of Irish breweries have gone from 500ml bottles to 440ml cans at parity pricing.

Some others have gone 330ml bottles to 440ml cans without particularly large price rises, though - 8 Degrees for instance/

But most people don't ever look at the cost per litre. They just insist that smaller cans = poorer value. Or that they are somehow, "wrong".
    It's not like 500ml has been a standard serving size in Ireland for generations or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I think with nitro stout that size does matter for many as it is nice for the stout to fill a pint glass properly in order to attempt to re-create the pub experience. People, myself included, are strangely picky with nitro stout.

For all other beers I'm not too bothered as long as I don't feel like I'm getting ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

From what I gather, canning is more expensive than bottling, so it's likely to cover that difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Yeah in general I'm not bothered about the size of the container the beer is in, i think I kind of prefer the 440ml cans to the 500ml bottles. Used to be a chore going to the bottle bank every week with an army of random coloured bottles :D But for the nitro stout I'd have hoped it would fill a pint glass as others have said. Its basically competing against themselves as well so will need to either be cheaper or same price as I can get Leann Follain as or I won't bother with it. Given Leann Follain is 500ml bottle and can just about fill a pint glass I'd expect this to do the same.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

We'll all have to invest in metric pint glasses. :D I had a few from IKEA in a previous house and they were perfect for craft beers.

Pulled the trigger on the O'Hara's and the Hope nitro, to give them a try over the weekend. I've had the nitro red before, but I preferred the standard tbh. Back what seems like years now, in my local with no craft options, I was with the old lads and the large bottle over the nitro stout.

• Advertisement

We'll all have to invest in metric pint glasses. :D I had a few from IKEA in a previous house and they were perfect for craft beers.

I suspect there's probably a few crates full in pub basements in Ballindine :pac:

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2018/0206/938689-mayo-metric-pint/

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I suspect there's probably a few crates full in pub basements in Ballindine :pac:

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2018/0206/938689-mayo-metric-pint/

The night club above the Leopardstown Inn had those 500ml glasses in the late 80s as well. Unlike that guy though I'm pretty sure they charged the the same, or more likely more, than the pub downstairs charged for a full pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Order in with Craft Central.ie for the O'Hara Nitro Stout amoung some other bits at 12.25.

Order packed and ready for shipping at 12.43.

Little beer elves in there :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Order in with Craft Central.ie for the O'Hara Nitro Stout amoung some other bits at 12.25.

Order packed and ready for shipping at 12.43.

Little beer elves in there :pac:
    11.33, for collection, and still waiting. I guess the delivery customers are more important :(:)

I'd say it's hitting the dpd collection time for next day, not to say we're not more important :) !

fwiw mine was order confirmed at 11.53, on it's way at 12.44.

I remember my local did that years ago (about 20-25 iirc) and even priced them accordingly, but it just felt so alien to ask for a half litre that they didn’t last long. Might work better now maybe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

BeerNut wrote: »
    11.33, for collection, and still waiting. I guess the delivery customers are more important :(:)
    Order collected :cool:
    Could be a 473ml can blank for 440ml+widget, don't think you'd need 60ml volume for that.
    I don't have either to hand for comparison but it looks more like a 500ml than a 473ml to me. My guess is there's more than the advertised 440ml inside.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'd say it's hitting the dpd collection time for next day, not to say we're not more important :) !

fwiw mine was order confirmed at 11.53, on it's way at 12.44.

Yeah you’ll get the email/text automatically from the system as soon as they print the shipping label from the DPD application. Just depends on whether it’s before or after the pickup that day then.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Order placed with Craft Central for some O'Haras Nitro and a few others at 14.59....testing their order before 3pm policy :pac: (I'm in no hurry really)

Update - Beer elves playing a blinder, picked and label printed :O

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭JoeLapira

Pen Rua wrote: »
    For those in Cork, The Bierhaus are doing free delivery (within 10KM, min order of €20) for the month of March.

https://www.thebierhauscork.com/

The website isn't as slick as some other operations, but I'll throw in an order soon of some of the stuff I was eyeing up on Craft Central.ie to support them.

Live outside to 10km but regularly get beers delivered from Dave. It's a great pub so I'm delighted to keep giving them some business!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

JoeLapira wrote: »
    Live outside to 10km but regularly get beers delivered from Dave. It's a great pub so I'm delighted to keep giving them some business!

I ordered some bits yesterday, not long after I shared the post. Delivered that evening!

11:51 - 11:55 order conf to shipping label time on Craftcentral there. And I've also got the White Hag box for Friday on its way, so DPD will be busy

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Received the "Hoppy Box" for The White Hag event this Friday. Happy with what I got.

26 cans in total. 6 from the Smash/Union Series, 4 MAlafemmena and the reminder are a mix of their core range.

Good value for €60. Not sure if I will bother with the event on Friday but I will enjoy the beers. Also no messing with later deliveries like the January event. Ordered the beer on Sunday, shipping notification Monday and received this morning

Mine has landed at home too; last time I got it on the Tuesday after - albeit it went missing rather than being late. I presume the promises of no dark in the hoppy has been kept?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

11:51 - 11:55 order conf to shipping label time on Craftcentral there. And I've also got the White Hag box for Friday on its way, so DPD will be busy

Similar turnaround for me - looking forward to trying the O'Hara's Nitro Stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Ordered a White Hag box at the last minute, there was none left but dropped them a mail and they made one up for me. Feckin email about it had gone to spam. DPD were due with them at 3 today to collect and my box was being made up at 2.40. Fair play though

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Mine has landed at home too; last time I got it on the Tuesday after - albeit it went missing rather than being late. I presume the promises of no dark in the hoppy has been kept?

No mix this time. 6 Smash, 4 Malefemmena, 4 Little Fawn, 4 Bran&Sceolan, 4 Phantom & 4 Ninth Wave.

Same beer mix for me + a White Hag snood in the design of the Atlantean can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Organising another beer tasting with friends and we all put in a beer order to Craft Beers Delivered whilst they were in the middle of moving their stock from Killarney to Dublin. Anyway, after a few issues with stock numbers during the move I'm very pleased with their customer service. Finally I've got my hands on Rauchbier though, can't wait!

• Advertisement

I still want to try a few but all the pictures I’m seeing today that people have of the O’Hara’s Nitro are not making it look all that impressive.

Advertisement