Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I still want to try a few but all the pictures I’m seeing today that people have of the O’Hara’s Nitro are not making it look all that impressive.

Same here, their instagram was reposting peoples pictures there earlier and it looked ****e not filling the glasses. Missed a trick not having 500ml cans IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Finally I've got my hands on Rauchbier though, can't wait!

It's like drinking a bottle of liquidised bacon. I tried it once out of curiosity, couldn't finish it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've the O'Hara's and Hope for the weekend. I'm trying to keep an open mind, despite me not liking draught Nitro beers.
    It's like drinking a bottle of liquidised bacon. I tried it once out of curiosity, couldn't finish it :D
    Acquired taste, but I love the Schlenkerla. I still thank Wicklow Wolf for the introduction to the style with their special "Ranchero".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

see that just sounds amazing to me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I've the O'Hara's and Hope for the weekend. I'm trying to keep an open mind, despite me not liking draught Nitro beers.

Picked both up aswell looking forward to trying.

• Advertisement

I'm assume the Hope should be "hard poured", where as the O'Hara's with the widget won't need to be?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Is the O'Hara's in any supermarkets yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

I'm assume the Hope should be "hard poured", where as the O'Hara's with the widget won't need to be?

Hope have a video on their instagram.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've a pair of O'Hara's double barrel aged stouts arriving today with 2 of the nitro cans and a few other treats. Looking forward to trying the stouts this weekend, but glad to have tutorials in here first! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

irish_goat wrote: »

They said independent off licenses specifically. I'm doing my grocery run to a Tesco tonight so will scope it out if I think of it.

• Advertisement

Hope have a video on their instagram.
    In to a tasting glass though! Hard pour not needed based upon that though.

Seems to be a normal pour for the O'Hara's.

https://twitter.com/OHarasBeers/status/1367812141550567431

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

irish_goat wrote: »

Didn't see any in Dunnes yesterday evening.

My craftcentral arrived this morning with eight cans, so that's my WandaVision pints sorted for later :-)

Popped out to Tesco Letterkenny during my lunch and there was none there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭Basq

This beauty is now in a 440ml - in this month's Clann box:

PXL-20210305-155351172-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I always find the "hard pour" funny. Wife thinks I'm mad when I put the glass into the sink and pour from a height. :D

12 Acres Double NEIPA - oh yes. Can’t wait to get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I got a bottle of Rye River's The Herd last weekend. It's a bourbon barrel aged quad ale.
    Is there any point saving it for a special occasion or is it as good now as its going to get as best to drink fresh? The best before on the bottle is 2030!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,780 ✭✭✭✭L1011

White Hag box event tonight had the expected (and probably missed if it didn't happen) technical issues and abject chaos anyway. Two and a half hour distraction from everything else at least.

Some interesting bits though. They have a keg nitro dry stout which is mostly sold to the UK, but now has home bar demands on it - but will be available in can shortly; and they're doing to do 4 pack cans in Lidl soon, sounds like a short-termer like the Four Provinces one but will still get product out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

L1011 wrote: »
    White Hag box event tonight had the expected (and probably missed if it didn't happen) technical issues and abject chaos anyway. Two and a half hour distraction from everything else at least.

Some interesting bits though. They have a keg nitro dry stout which is mostly sold to the UK, but now has home bar demands on it - but will be available in can shortly; and they're doing to do 4 pack cans in Lidl soon, sounds like a short-termer like the Four Provinces one but will still get product out there.

Interesting, is that 4 pack of their range or just the nitro dry stout did they say?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

L1011 wrote: »
    They have a keg nitro dry stout which is mostly sold to the UK
    The Black Pig. As far as I know it has only appeared once over here, at the pop-up festival they did in 2018 at what's now The Big Romance in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Had my first O'Hara's Nitro, on my second, and very glad I have two more in the fridge for tonight and four more for tomorrow. Turns out, I am a fan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Had my first O'Hara's Nitro, on my second, and very glad I have two more in the fridge for tonight and four more for tomorrow. Turns out, I am a fan!

I had one this evening too, and I think it's a one and done for me. It had slightly more flavour than a draught can of Guinness I guess, but at the end of the day it cost me 50c more than the bottle of leann folláin i am sipping now, and it doesn't come close to matching it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,780 ✭✭✭✭L1011

DrZeuss wrote: »
    Interesting, is that 4 pack of their range or just the nitro dry stout did they say?

Core range, not the stout I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Enjoyed the white hag event tonight.

Decided to have a few more beers after it finished and opened bottle of black donkey TKO. Unusual taste but really enjoyable.

haven’t had a black donkey beers in quite a while. Must pick up a few sheep stealers soon as it was a beer I would drink the odd time when we were allowed go to pubs but completely went of my radar in last 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭Basq

White Hag event was fun despite my mortifying charade ("Shamrock Shake")! :rolleyes:

Enjoying their Mocchacino stout.. just the right side of sweet!

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    I had one this evening too, and I think it's a one and done for me. It had slightly more flavour than a draught can of Guinness I guess, but at the end of the day it cost me 50c more than the bottle of leann folláin i am sipping now, and it doesn't come close to matching it for me.

Got a few too. If I can get a bottle cheaper then I’ll get that, nothing special at all even outside being too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Glad to see them doing the canned Nitro Stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Got a few cans of the nitro O' Haras as well. Its nice allright but as Fall_Guy said its not that much nicer than a can of Guinness. I had two O' Haras and on a Guinness now and its just not worth the premium IMO. Leann Follain is also a lot nicer and can be got cheaper too.

It would need to be about €2 a can or less to tempt me back. I've two more in the fridge but that'll do it for me I think unless it lands in the supermarkets cheaper.

If I'm spending €3 on a can of beer I have higher expectations than it. That said, O' Haras stout on tap is lovely and I'd take it all day over Guinness (as I would with the nitro can if the prices were similar).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Got a few cans of the nitro O' Haras as well. Its nice allright but as Fall_Guy said its not that much nicer than a can of Guinness. I had two O' Haras and on a Guinness now and its just not worth the premium IMO. Leann Follain is also a lot nicer and can be got cheaper too.

It would need to be about €2 a can or less to tempt me back. I've two more in the fridge but that'll do it for me I think unless it lands in the supermarkets cheaper.

If I'm spending €3 on a can of beer I have higher expectations than it. That said, O' Haras stout on tap is lovely and I'd take it all day over Guinness (as I would with the nitro can if the prices were similar).

True enough. Some domestic competition in the Nitro Stout department is certainly no harm though. Who knows, we might even see it on draught in some places when the situation resumes to normal scheduling.

Advertisement