Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

I emailed Craft Central at 1.30pm on Thursday, enquiring whether they would be getting any more Shuttlebucket in stock, I got an email eight minutes later,(thanks Erica) saying they had some left and would put it up on the site for me, forty minutes later I got an email stating that my order was ready.

It was collected and dispatched across the country and was left in my shed before 10am next morning (thanks to Shane, my local DPD driver)

That level of service is just beyond belief to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

I emailed Craft Central at 1.30pm on Thursday, enquiring whether they would be getting any more Shuttlebucket in stock, I got an email eight minutes later,(thanks Erica) saying they had some left and would put it up on the site for me, forty minutes later I got an email stating that my order was ready.

It was collected and dispatched across the country and was left in my shed before 10am next morning (thanks to Shane, my local DPD driver)

That level of service is just beyond belief to be honest.

CC's customer support is excellent imo. No messing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,780 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Craftcentral have got their entire operation running to an almost impossibly efficient level. There is probably a consultancy market there for them letting others know how the hell they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Pen Rua wrote: »
    White Hag have a new green beer. It's a "shamrock shake ice cream ale" and literally pours green.

https://twitter.com/craftcentral/status/1362743823038902273

Did anyone actually pick this up? Can't seen to remember many posts in this thread or the "What beer...?" thread.

I'm in a beer group on FB, and it's split almost literally 50/50 between love it & hate it.

Part of me wants to give it a go on St Patrick's Day for the €2.50 it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Did anyone actually pick this up? Can't seen to remember many posts in this thread or the "What beer...?" thread.
    Wouldn't say I hate it but it's not to my taste. Too sweet but other half really likes it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I had the O'hara's nitro last night. Definitely thought it was a lot nicer than the Diageo one, but not as nice as their bottled dry Irish or Leann Follain. Gave one to the Guinness drinking father in law, and he thought it was nice but not still not as good as Guinness, so not really sure what they'll get out of it, at premium price.

Also had the Hope nitro. It was nice, but not sure the nitro really adds that much. Astral Grains was still the nicest stout I had last night, with plain old carbon dioxide!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Astral Grains is lovely, as is The Rye River Belgian stout.

The Whiplash IWD call was good. Run around the brewery, then a chat between Leah (marketing & social media) and Lyndsey (cellar brewer). They covered a bunch of stuff from their work, the process at the brewery, how the beers come to be, name & label process and a bunch in between.

Nothing was divulged re future releases. :(

I did learn their BB is usually 9 months from canning.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Ah sure we have to keep some things secret ;)

Bierhaus are doing two live shows, with Rascals this Friday and Kinnegar next week.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=278196240327045&ref=watch_permalink

(I am not affiliated with Bierhaus despite my posting in this thread maybe suggesting otherwise...! :pac: )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

I had the O'Haras Nitro and Hope Nitro over the weekend.

I thought the O'Haras Nitro was a really really close approximation to what you would get in the pub, thought they had done a good job. But I would say tasting it alongside a bottle of it is the way to go, would really show how little nitro does for the flavours.

The Hope Nitro Stout was definitely nowhere near as good a nitro as O'Haras, but it is a proper delicious dry Irish Stout and there was far more going on with it than the O'Haras. This would be a great core stout for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I thought the O'Haras Nitro was a really really close approximation to what you would get in the pub, thought they had done a good job. But I would say tasting it alongside a bottle of it is the way to go, would really show how little nitro does for the flavours.

Thats a very good description of it allright. I haven't had their Irish Stout in a long time so might be a good experiment to try it side by side with the nitro can allright.

I'd rarely pick up any O' Haras core range now aside from the Leann Follain, not that I don't like them but I find them a bit bland now compared to what else is out there.

I was pleasantly surprised by their Irish Stout over Christmas. It's a good as any out there at the mid 4% abv imo.

I got one of these recently from Lineman, hadn't heard much about them or anything, but took the plunge after reading about them here. They were all pretty good, with a couple (Astral grains and Amplify being the standouts.

The Saga was pretty unique, don't think I've had anything like it before. Like a sour that's less tangy, I suppose. Still very, very drinkable. I still have one of the giganticer stouts left, hard to drink something so strong with a few more beers so I'll try it on its own this week. Not as good as the Astral Grains one, but still really, really good. They don't taste like traditionally "strong" beers do...leffe, duvel etc.

The others were all at the higher end of the spectrum in terms of how IPAs taste, without setting the world on fire. All spectacularly drinkable and with great variation I'm delighted I got the taster pack (which is now out of stock, I see).

I'll certainly be getting the AG back when it's back in stock, probably some zephyr and amplify as well.

I forgot to mention, I've been looking out for Coalface black IPA by Carrig brewing for ages, with no luck. Does anyone know if it has been discontinued?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I forgot to mention, I've been looking out for Coalface black IPA by Carrig brewing for ages, with no luck. Does anyone know if it has been discontinued?

Carrig merged with Brú Brewery last year. Don't think they have brewed Coalface (or any black IPA) since though.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Carrig merged with Brú Brewery last year. Don't think they have brewed Coalface (or any black IPA) since though.
    I've asked a few times, as I really liked it, and keep getting the "no plans at this point". It was by far the pick of the carrig beers for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Actually on that, can anyone recommend other nice black IPAs? I love the black IPA from Black's Brewery and also was a big fan of the Coalface brew. I do enjoy them.

Separately, when in Peru a few years back there was a beer made in Cusco called Cusquena and they had a dark lager (Cusquena Negra). I was a big fan of it there despite not really being a lager fan but I've never been able to find anything like it here. Anyone know of good dark lagers worth trying?

Actually on that, can anyone recommend other nice black IPAs? I love the black IPA from Black's Brewery and also was a big fan of the Coalface brew. I do enjoy them.

Separately, when in Peru a few years back there was a beer made in Cusco called Cusquena and they had a dark lager (Cusquena Negra). I was a big fan of it there despite not really being a lager fan but I've never been able to find anything like it here. Anyone know of good dark lagers worth trying?

Black Bucket out of Kinnegar - a black rye IPA. :chef kiss:

Black Bucket out of Kinnegar - a black rye IPA. :chef kiss:

Yeah have drank quite a few of those before :D

Big fan of Kinnegar actually, they do some top notch beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

9 White Deer Black Lightning is lovely too.

Looking through my Untappd check ins, I can only see Black IPAs that were one off / specials (besides Black Bucket), e.g. Galway Bay Brewery did one in their Oregan Grown series. You might pick them up in an odd place. Guardian of the Galaxy (Wicklow Wolf & DOT collab) was savage, but again a one off.

Wicklow Wolf & Dot Guardian of the Galaxy and 8 Degrees Hill of the Serpent were my favourites from the past year but both are well gone by now.

9 White Deer Black Lightning is lovely too.

That's an excellent one too.

Third Barrel have "Painted Black" out at the moment. I had it over the weekend, and it was nice without being blown away to be honest. I preferred the Galway Bay (which is still knocking around I think). Both not as good as Guardian of the Galaxy though. Away from specials, Black Bucket and Blacks are the only core one's out there aren't they? Black Lightening is more a semi regular special?

Third Circle have a black lager out at the moment as a special. Lineman have just released a fresh batch of Undertone Dark Lager too. No idea how they compare to the lager in Peru, but I like dark lagers without being much of fan of other styles. Dead Centre had "The Man Comes Around" Schwarzbier which I enjoyed too, but not up on beercloud at this stage.

Blacks Kinsale did a run of their Black IPA in the last couple of weeks, so fresh bottles of that should be floating around.

Thanks all some great suggestions there. I've popped some of the Galway Bay Oregon Grown and Third Circle India Inked dark lager into the basket. Will keep an eye out for some of the specials from now on.

Thanks all some great suggestions there. I've popped some of the Galway Bay Oregon Grown and Third Circle India Inked dark lager into the basket. Will keep an eye out for some of the specials from now on.

Craft Central looks to have it in stock, so I assume you're getting it from there? They also have Thornbridge - Wild Raven Black IPA which was decent, and To Øl - Malts & Body Salts 2.0 Imperial Black IPA. I haven't had the latter yet (it's on my shelf), but To Ol are generally solid for me and this sounds like something a bit different.

I forgot Moonbeam, by Metalman. It's a lovely example I usually overlook for the 330ml cans!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

irish_goat wrote: »
    I was quite disappointed to read that a while back. The Poachers pale ale was by one of my favourite beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,780 ✭✭✭✭L1011

While nominally Brú was the surviving, in name and in factory, it seems to be Carrig recipes that have won out.

I never liked Brú stuff before but they're a regular for me now.

Advertisement