Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I thought the point of their Curious Society brand was to appeal to macro drinks with accessible pilsners etc. Now they've moved into more "crafty" type styles.

Their owner said in one of the Craic meetups that the Curious brand was to be their "good value" offering. He specifically mentioned the West Coast IPA and said it was to be sold as part of an 8 pack. €3 is hardly great value though, fairly standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I think it was on this thread that people were talking about quick turnaround times from Craft Central. I placed an order today at 15:39 and got an order confirmation email saying it was packed and waiting collection from DPD at 15:46. When I clicked on the tracking link at around 16:00 it said it was collected by the DPD driver at 15:55!! How is that even possible?!!?

Probably got lucky with the timing but still, a 16min turnaround from order to courier!!

I put in an order today at 15:55, got notification a whopping 3 minutes later to say it was packed and waiting to be picked up, notification from DPD that it was collected at 16:14 and is now in the network so I should have it tomorrow. Ridiculous efficiency!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Complete Newby to this game, fed up with cans of Guinness and looking to try some new stouts. Ohara nitro and Lineman Astral Grains are two I read any others to the list.

In D17 any idea of a decent off licence or is online my best bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

but1er wrote: »
    Complete Newby to this game, fed up with cans of Guinness and looking to try some new stouts. Ohara nitro and Lineman Astral Grains are two I read any others to the list.

Go Craft Central, good selection, great service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Can't go wrong with the two you have mentioned. I'm also a fan of Wicklow Wolf Mad Mex, Dungarvan Coffee & Oatmeal Stout, West Kerry Brewery Night Porter, and O'Haras Leann Follain, amongst many others :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Definitely try O'Haras Leann Follain, my go to stout, and you'll find it almost anywhere these days and still around the €10 mark for 4 bottles

Yeah for value for money for a really top quality stout, it's really hard to beat Leann Follain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Leann Follain (and other O'Hara beers) currently €2.50 in Tesco from what their website is telling me. Planning to pick it & their bottled Irish stout for a comparison night with the nitro effort.

Once you get into craft beer, support local. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

McHughs on the Malahide Road just past the Artane roundabout is very good and probably within your 5km thing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Anyone joining the Craic event this evening? It's been ages since I've had any Kinnegar so I'm looking forward to getting stuck in to those, and it'll be my first try of Wide Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

cracking stuff lads, week off work for the races. plenty of time to taste test
    Wicklow Wolf Mad Mex, Dungarvan Coffee & Oatmeal Stout, West Kerry Brewery Night Porter, and O'Haras Leann Follain

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Good luck getting a mad mex at this stage! But their Core Range Apex Stout is very good, and should be in and around €3. O'Hara's Irish Stout and Trouble Brewing Dark Arts are also good for their abv as stouts rather than oatmeal or extra stout. I'd normally say Lidl's Craft Stout too, but someone mentioned they thought they'd changed recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Good luck getting a mad mex at this stage! But their Core Range Apex Stout is very good, and should be in and around €3. O'Hara's Irish Stout and Trouble Brewing Dark Arts are also good for their abv as stouts rather than oatmeal or extra stout. I'd normally say Lidl's Craft Stout too, but someone mentioned they thought they'd changed recipe.
    Was Mad Mex a limited edition? I had it over Christmas and it was unreal, but haven't seen it anywhere since now that you mention it...

Normal One wrote: »
    McHughs on the Malahide Road just past the Artane roundabout is very good and probably within your 5km thing.

Definitely the best off licence in the area (possibly the Northside).......with maybe Martin's and Lilac wines to round out the top three.

He's going the same way of Martin's, though, and really started to charge mad money for certain beers and spirits. I thought he'd reduce some of the individual prices when the new measures came in, but a lot of them actually went up in price. Nearly €4 for a bottle of erdinger/paulaner is extracting the urine.

Still, better value and similar selection to Martin's, though I'm biased after an awful experience in Martin's years ago.

Was Mad Mex a limited edition? I had it over Christmas and it was unreal, but haven't seen it anywhere since now that you mention it...
    Yes, was one of the specials. I've one of each of their stout specials left, planning an Apex night one of these days. Mad Mex into Pointy Shoe's could be a messy end though!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,852 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wicklow Wolf Mad Mex, Dungarvan Coffee & Oatmeal Stout, West Kerry Brewery Night Porter, and O'Haras Leann Follain

Kinnegar Yannaroddy Porter is excellent as is Leann Follain
    The Porterhouse stouts are all worth a try too.

Dare I say it on craft thread - Guinness West Indies Porter is really good also. If you've never tried the Guinness Original XX or whatever it's called this week then try that too.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Whatever you end up getting - out of the fridge at least half an hour before drinking!

I'm assuming, but have yet to hear, I'm caught in the Fastway data breach. Craft Direct and Yards and Crafts orders in the time period...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,852 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Anyone else ordered the White Hag St. Patrick's day box?

https://www.thewhitehag.com/product/so-its-a-game-night-then-father/

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Dare I say it on craft thread - Guinness West Indies Porter is really good also. If you've never tried the Guinness Original XX or whatever it's called this week then try that too.

I think the Porterhouse XXXX or whatever its called is up there as one of the best stouts around as well. Tough I think Leann Follain is the best of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

irish_goat wrote: »
    Their owner said in one of the Craic meetups that the Curious brand was to be their "good value" offering. He specifically mentioned the West Coast IPA and said it was to be sold as part of an 8 pack. €3 is hardly great value though, fairly standard.

I bought their Pilsner Lager last night. 8 cans for €12 which was pretty good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,780 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anyone else ordered the White Hag St. Patrick's day box?

https://www.thewhitehag.com/product/so-its-a-game-night-then-father/

Decided to give it a go as there was a discount code for doing the last quiz. Value of the contents is (likely to be, based on past performance) decent even if you don't bother with the quiz element really

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

This prompted me to chuck mine into the fridge there. Good work. :)
    Macy0161 wrote: »

I have to say, I definitely don't get the love for the Apex. Relay wasn't gone on it at all. The love it gets on here makes me think I missed something.
    Definitely the best off licence in the area (possibly the Northside).......with maybe Martin's and Lilac wines to round out the top three.

He's going the same way of Martin's, though, and really started to charge mad money for certain beers and spirits. I thought he'd reduce some of the individual prices when the new measures came in, but a lot of them actually went up in price. Nearly €4 for a bottle of erdinger/paulaner is extracting the urine.

Still, better value and similar selection to Martin's, though I'm biased after an awful experience in Martin's years ago.

Martin's kept the same prices from the 4/10 etc deals from what I can make out.

Would love to know what happened ya there tbh? It has never struck me as a joint where you could have an awful experience.

That being said, I have my own grudges against various hostelries around the city for perceived sleights over the years that are never going away. :)
    zoobizoo wrote: »
    I bought their Pilsner Lager last night. 8 cans for €12 which was pretty good value.

It's grand value alright for no-nonsense beer in the fridge. I found it a bit too bland though. Which was annoying as I was on the look out for such a beverage to stick in the pantry.

---

Also, forgot about the Lervig 3-Bean I got last weekend. So that's getting tapped tonight. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Boundary Export Stout is the business too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Off topic slightly but as I seen it mentioned above, am I the only one who doesn't put stouts in the fridge? bar cans of Guinness of course just craft stouts, I wouldn't leave them in an overly warm room but never the fridge, hate buying Leann Folainn from centra as its always ice cold and has to warm up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

yeah, I keep my stouts in the utility room, which is the coolest room in the house, never the fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

yeah, I keep my stouts in the utility room, which is the coolest room in the house, never the fridge

Back hall entrance tiled floor. Coolest part of the house. Next to the garage

Off topic slightly but as I seen it mentioned above, am I the only one who doesn't put stouts in the fridge? bar cans of Guinness of course just craft stouts, I wouldn't leave them in an overly warm room but never the fridge, hate buying Leann Folainn from centra as its always ice cold and has to warm up.

It's all about the environment. My apartment is roasting all the time so I prefer to cool in the fridge and then warm up when required. It's a delicate balance. I hate when beer is too cold but likewise I hate inappropriately warm beer.

My pantry is a great storage space in an apartment severely lacking in same, but it's never cold plus the chest freezer being in there wouldn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Pantry?

you posh git

• Advertisement

Pantry?

you posh git

Listen, when all I have these days is the use of pantry to show of 'notions' then I'll take it.

Advertisement