Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,847 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Boundary Export Stout is the business too

Trying one now and yeah it's good.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,847 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Custom can labels - sure it's not that long since getting Irish craft in a can at all was a novelty :D

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

grimbergen wrote: »
    Thanks. when you say small batch, do you mean one of their existing beers with just the can being piloted? Or would it be a new beer? Pardon my ignorance

A pilot kit is just a smaller sized tank. I'd imagine you would need to have a new recipe created. There are breweries doing own label beer but the volumes would be far larger than you'd need

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think Dead Centre may offer it, albeit I think they aimed at the birthday gift market.

Also, rascals maybe an option? They've just done one, that's not for sale/ just for competition for Block Rockin Beats/ Dec Pierce.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Macy0161 wrote: »
    They've just done one, that's not for sale/ just for competition for Block Rockin Beats/ Dec Pierce.
    That looked to me like a relabelling of Happy Days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

grimbergen wrote: »
    Anyone familiar with canning on here? I’m just wondering if it’s feasible to ask a brewery to say, can 1,000 cans, with my company’s logo on them?

I would provide the artwork but is it something breweries go for?

Are you looking for a bespoke beer or just bespoke labels?

I'd imagine that the latter is easily done but it might be surprisingly expensive for small runs of labels.

Bespoke beer would probably cost more again.

Would the crowd in Westmeath that do all the canning and labeling for the breweries not do it for you? Assuming you mean you already have the beer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Kinnegar have done the odd custom bottle label for weddings and the like. Minimum order means you need to be buying a good few cases but the cost isn't too bad.

I'd say you would need to go to the smaller breweries if you want a custom recipe done though, a lot more work(and risk) involved with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Dead Centre have done runs of their own beers with special lables for weddings.
    No harm contacting them, althought right now they might be a bit up the walls as they're in the middle of building a new production brewery in Athlone (the pub brewery will supply core range to the pub and produce small batch specials and super small pilot kit runs).

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭kilrush

I know western herd did bottles for a local business in Ennis last year or the year before so they might be an option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

The usual mayhem in the White Hag, Fr Ted quiz, glitches as usual in the IT, great craic as always though.

Joe Rooney (Fr Damo) was guest host, really nice guy, a bit bemused that he's still getting work from it 25 years later, but fair play to him.

There was an impromptu "post" Zoom meeting when the link was left on and there's some news coming, with a link up next month, with a big supermarket chain, best of luck with it.

BeerNut wrote: »
    That looked to me like a relabelling of Happy Days.
    I assumed it was just a relabelling, but I also assumed that's all grimbergen was looking for tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,780 ✭✭✭✭L1011

DPD appear to have let me down on a CC order - made it to the Kildare depot with some cryptic message about an appointment, although their chat support says it'll still come today.

Suspect the DPD driver hates me for the large and heavy stuff I get delivered by them - beer, Lego (adult size boxes) and shoes mostly.

No beer. Had to go back to what the local shops sell, which is fine really. McGargles, 8 Degrees and O'Haras.

Imagine ten years ago being somewhat annoyed that I could 'only' get beer from multiple Irish breweries, one local, in shops at the end of the road - and that's the situation nearly everywhere in the country too. Still often hard to get more than an old bottle of O'Haras in many pubs though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

L1011 wrote: »
    No beer. Had to go back to what the local shops sell, which is fine really. McGargles, 8 Degrees and O'Haras.

Imagine ten years ago being somewhat annoyed that I could 'only' get beer from multiple Irish breweries, one local, in shops at the end of the road - and that's the situation nearly everywhere in the country too. Still often hard to get more than an old bottle of O'Haras in many pubs though

This!

In the "before times", it was grand when you were going to "the local", whether that was the work local, the home local, or that place where everybody knows your name.

But then you'd get an invite to a "new" pub to watch a match, or there'd be a family first communion or a weekend away, and I'd be on the venues web page scrolling through photos trying to see the taps at the bar...

This sounds very familiar.

My home local has three McGargles taps + decent bottles. My work local has a rebranded McGargles house beer for less than everything else on the taps. My usual regular pubs in Dublin are either brewery owned or have a good range on the taps. My local "back home" is known for its whiskey not it's pints!

Had to go to a mates wedding in the middle of nowhere in Wicklow and was expecting to be on Heineken or Carlsberg all night, and was absolutely delighted they had multiple Wicklow Brewery taps.

L1011 wrote: »
    This sounds very familiar.

My home local has three McGargles taps + decent bottles. My work local has a rebranded McGargles house beer for less than everything else on the taps. My usual regular pubs in Dublin are either brewery owned or have a good range on the taps. My local "back home" is known for its whiskey not it's pints!

Had to go to a mates wedding in the middle of nowhere in Wicklow and was expecting to be on Heineken or Carlsberg all night, and was absolutely delighted they had multiple Wicklow Brewery taps.

Mine has a rebranded beer made by McGargles too but it’s a not very nice lager. Luckily they have a couple of real mcgargles taps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Tried the OHaras Nitro stout, echo most opinions I've seen here, its lovely but its not 3.50 per can lovely.
    I'm sure there's economics I don't understand here, but if they could ever get that price point down to €2 a can I'd never buy a can of guinness again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Tried the OHaras Nitro stout, echo most opinions I've seen here, its lovely but its not 3.50 per can lovely.
    I'm sure there's economics I don't understand here, but if they could ever get that price point down to €2 a can I'd never buy a can of guinness again.

Yeah I'd echo that, I'd like to think if they can sell Leann Follain in the supermarkets for 2.50 then they can sell the nitro for €2, at that price point its a no brainer for me.

edit: I also have no idea of the economics of it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Tried Leann Follain and Guinness foreign export. That Leann Follain is unbelievable couldn't get over the taste of it. Really enjoyed it. Picked up a box of the porterhouse stouts and that around the clock is a work of art. What a drink. Raging I can't get the second one anywere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

Raging I can't get the second one anywere
    Where are you based ...?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Black Donkey, Rascals & Dundalk Bay all getting shelf space in Aldi from 18 March, while stocks last.

https://www.fft.ie/aldi-irish-craft-beer-event/

I checked two different Aldis yesterday and today and the two beers I was interested were nowhere to be seen, not even shelf labels, the Dundalk IPA and the Rascals Fruitopolis. Everything else was there including the Lough Gill Aldi specials which I both like for the price.

I checked two different Aldis yesterday and today and the two beers I was interested were nowhere to be seen, not even shelf labels, the Dundalk IPA and the Rascals Fruitopolis. Everything else was there including the Lough Gill Aldi specials which I both like for the price.
    Was in on Thursday, and none in my local Aldi. Like that, not even space. A nice surprise the Lough Gill ones being back, as they were a staple in the sunny lockdown 1 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Oops, looks like I've thoroughly missed the boat on that one. There is a SuperValu in the city centre here in Cork, but it closes rather early and has a meh off license, but I might give it a shot all together.

After all my hunting for this bottled version, 1) I'd like to find it and 2) it better be worth it for the comparison I want to do! :')

After much searching, I’ve finally procured a bottled version of the O’Hara Stout. Bottle v nitro can v Leann for next weekend.

Leann Follain will be the best from that, regardless of the head or the can.

Bru's core range is now in 330ml cans. https://craftcentral.ie/collections/bru

They also have a Belgian Tripel (440ml can) to celebrate one year in their current guise. https://craftcentral.ie/collections/bru/products/bru-brewery-memory-lane-belgian-tripel-440ml-can-8-8-abv?variant=39265390166051

Looks like Kinnegar will be releasing a fridge pack with their core range.

https://twitter.com/kinnegarbrewing/status/1374010868262957064?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Nice. Is that a 6 or 8 pack?

Maths/shape would suggest 8 unless they've two sizes

• Advertisement

Over on Instagram, the caption confirms its 8 cans. To be released over the coming days.

Advertisement