Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

popped into the cat and cage dublin 9 on saturday to try the pizza place upstairs.

the beer selection was brilliant and pizza was even better.

https://kneadpizza.wi-q.com/service/592

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

but1er wrote: »
    popped into the cat and cage dublin 9 on saturday to try the pizza place upstairs.

the beer selection was brilliant and pizza was even better.

https://kneadpizza.wi-q.com/service/592

They've changed alot since I used to frequent it over 10 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

They've changed alot since I used to frequent it over 10 years ago

Smart move rent up stairs out - wont be used anytime soon, great to have a pizza place like it this side of the canal, big fan of back page pizza

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

Scraggy Bay is the beer of the month in Supervalu @€;2.75 for a 440ml can. Don't recall seeing Kinnegar cans there before.

8 degrees is €2.50 a can

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Scraggy Bay is the beer of the month in Supervalu @€;2.75 for a 440ml can. Don't recall seeing Kinnegar cans there before.

8 degrees is €2.50 a can

My local one got a big Kinnegar fridge in last year and it was really well stocked, it's gone now though and they just get thrown in a smaller general fridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

BeerCloud:

To celebrate St Patrick's Day (don't worry, it's definitely not too late to celebrate the feast day of our patron saint), we've taken one of our newest boxes and lashed on a HUGE 17% discount! This offer is strictly while stocks last and expires on March 31st, 2021 @ 11:59pm

https://beercloud.ie/product/an-bosca-beorach/?mc_cid=30c6200fca&mc_eid=991abf855d

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Some new Icelandic beers* now in Craft Central, assuming they'll make their way to your usual outlets in due course.

https://twitter.com/craftcentral/status/1374345383904690181

*Assuming they're not contract brewed elsewhere.

Expected a heavy price tag for these - pleasantly surprised to see them going for €2.50 each. Makes me wonder if they are indeed contract brewed elsewhere.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The Einstok beers have been around for ages. They come and go on the Irish market every couple of years. The guys behind it are American, and it's brewed mainly for export, but it is actually brewed in Iceland AFAIK, albeit under contract at a large industrial brewery.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I've had it in Iceland. It's meh. It was in Aldi/Lidl at one point I'm almost sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

8 degrees is €2.50 a can

My local super value have had scraggy bay, limeburner, and the amber for ages. Well definitely grab a few at that price.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

White Gypsy appear to be rebranding. Pretty sure I heard someone say they were dropping the word "gypsy". PC gone mad, traditional values etc etc...I never liked the name anyway.

https://twitter.com/whitegypsy/status/1374378552498421771

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Their original brand was "Shelta Beer" so they could be going back to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

8 degrees is €2.50 a can

Just FYI, offer isn't yet active in my local one. Scanned at 3.25 I think it was. Showing at full price online too so offer probably hasn't started.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Just FYI, offer isn't yet active in my local one. Scanned at 3.25 I think it was. Showing at full price online too so offer probably hasn't started.

Was just going through the recycling bin to get the weekly Super Valu newletter out of it to check what date this was valid from:-). offer is valid from 25 March.

Havent seen Kinnegar in local Super Valu before but hopefully they have it now that it is been advertised. I'll be down for a few of them this weekend.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Looks like Kinnegar will be releasing a fridge pack with their core range.

https://twitter.com/kinnegarbrewing/status/1374010868262957064?s=21

The aforementioned new Kinnegar fridge / multi pack has landed in Cork.

https://twitter.com/bradleys_offlic/status/1374398030862970893

8 cans:
    Scraggy Bay (IPA)
    DL (lager)
    Yannaroddy (Porter)
    Big Bunny (NEIPA)
    White Rabbit (Session IPA)
    Thumper (DIPA)
    Devils' Backbone (Amber)
    Merrytiller (Saison)

No indication of price (unless someone wants to ask Michael from Bradley's on Twitter), but I might stop by tomorrow and see. What are we guessing? Typically they're in the €3-3.50 range, right? So I'd be expecting €24ish?

I've not had 4 of the beers in the pack, so depending on pricing I might go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

8 cans:
    Scraggy Bay (IPA)
    DL (lager)
    Yannaroddy (Porter)
    Big Bunny (NEIPA)
    Thumper (DIPA)
    Devils' Backbone (Amber)
    Merrytiller (Saison)

No indication of price (unless someone wants to ask Michael from Bradley's on Twitter), but I might stop by tomorrow and see. What are we guessing? Typically they're in the €3-3.50 range, right? So I'd be expecting €24ish?

I've not had 4 of the beers in the pack, so depending on pricing I might go for it.

Oh it's a mix pack?

That's actually slightly annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

BeerNut wrote: »

Really? Shelta is the traveller "caint" never knew they were called that before....it would be nice if they did revert back I must admit

Really? Shelta is the traveller "caint" never knew they were called that before....it would be nice if they did revert back I must admit

Would that not be deemed as offensive as the word Gypsy in 2021?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Would that not be deemed as offensive as the word Gypsy in 2021?

No, quite the opposite, it's a recognised language and is still in use today by travellers

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭adam240610

8 cans:
    Scraggy Bay (IPA)
    DL (lager)
    Yannaroddy (Porter)
    Big Bunny (NEIPA)
    Thumper (DIPA)
    Devils' Backbone (Amber)
    Merrytiller (Saison)

The same off license has a 24x440ml kinnegar case for 84 euro, works out as 28 for 8 cans so would imagine it'll likely be close enough to that, hopefully less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,847 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

BeerNut wrote: »

Ah heyor, cultural appropriation :p

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

8 cans:
    Scraggy Bay (IPA)
    DL (lager)
    Yannaroddy (Porter)
    Big Bunny (NEIPA)
    Thumper (DIPA)
    Devils' Backbone (Amber)
    Merrytiller (Saison)

€25 from Bradley’s.

https://www.bradleysofflicence.ie/kinnegar-8-x-440ml-can-multipack/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

More expensive than individual cans from Craft Central/ Craft Direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I see craft central has a load of newly imported Verdant beers but a lot of them are over €10 a can thanks to Brexit. I wonder will stuff like this keep getting imported from the England with prices like that. I like Verdant beers but not willing to spend that much, can't imagine many would.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

I see craft central has a load of newly imported Verdant beers but a lot of them are over €10 a can thanks to Brexit. I wonder will stuff like this keep getting imported from the England with prices like that. I like Verdant beers but not willing to spend that much, can't imagine many would.

Incredible prices. Whatever temptation I have to maybe try one of them is dampened by not knowing if the beer is even particularly fresh.

I just can't justify it when I know I will pay around €5 for a Double IPA, canned within a week or two, of a really high standard from one of the Irish breweries.

I've never tried to Verdant beer because they were pricey to begin with, and I didn't want to risk it. Bought more expensive specials from Irish breweries when given the choice. Not a chance I'll buy this round of Verdant (or Deya, or Wander.....) at the post-Brexit price tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I've never tried to Verdant beer because they were pricey to begin with, and I didn't want to risk it. Bought more expensive specials from Irish breweries when given the choice. Not a chance I'll buy this round of Verdant (or Deya, or Wander.....) at the post-Brexit price tag.

This is it, I'm guessing we'll start to see less and less beers from Great Britain in the future. Unless I'm way off and there are still enough sales to justify them being imported. Hopefully the Northern Irish craft brewers like Boundary don't end up with the same fate.

irish_goat wrote: »
    White Gypsy appear to be rebranding. Pretty sure I heard someone say they were dropping the word "gypsy". PC gone mad, traditional values etc etc...I never liked the name anyway.

https://twitter.com/whitegypsy/status/1374378552498421771

Had a look at their website, and this notice was at the foot of the page. It isn't dated. But confirms they're changing the name due to the use of "Gypsy"
    Times have changed, and so must we!

Some of you may have noticed the limited-edition 3 pack we brought out at Christmas time had different packaging and a different name.

Over the last few years, we have taken a long hard look at our business and where the future lies. One thing that became very clear to us was that the White Gypsy name had no future as a brand. It had been 15 years since we came up with the name, but times have changed and what seemed interesting, edgy and full of mystique then, is clearly no longer acceptable in the modern society we live in, and rightly so!

It was always our hope that the name would be seen in a positive light. As we are not of the Gypsy culture, we realize now that we do not have the right to use such a term or take from that culture for our own benefit. We were naive, we got it wrong and if we ever offended anybody in anyway, we are truly sorry.

We set about the process of re-branding in June 2020. While it didn’t happen at the pace we’d hoped for due to the pandemic, the ball is rolling. It is our hope that by the time the pubs and restaurants re-open, we will have changed our name and fully re-branded. Keep an eye out for the new brand, please bear with us it might take a while to transfer everything over.

As always, we are extremely thankful for your support.

Slainte,
    Cuilan and Sally

Looking through their Twitter, it seems the new name is "Odyssey"

https://twitter.com/whitegypsy/status/1347584765579325446

8 cans:
    Scraggy Bay (IPA)
    DL (lager)
    Yannaroddy (Porter)
    Big Bunny (NEIPA)
    Thumper (DIPA)
    Devils' Backbone (Amber)
    Merrytiller (Saison)

I decided to go for it yesterday. It has 4 I've had before (and like) and 4 new to me, and the convenience of having a nice little box made the walk home a little easier as opposed to cans clicking around loosely.

The box as some bits of information about the brewery, name and beer names. It has descriptions of their entire core range. Also has a flap you can cut off, fill in details, post off (to subscribe to their newsletter) and be put in to a draw.

Sure, €25 is a bit more per car (€3.125 each) but I think it balances out a bit when one is a DIPA (which typically goes for a bit more than €3) and a seasonal special is there too. And at least I have a nice looking box to keep them in as opposed to loose cans on my shelf. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Anyone picking up the Porterhouse Easter special?

Advertisement