Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Sure, €25 is a bit more per car (€3.125 each) but I think it balances out a bit when one is a DIPA (which typically goes for a bit more than €3) and a seasonal special is there too. And at least I have a nice looking box to keep them in as opposed to loose cans on my shelf. :)
    I was being a bit facetious, and will probably pick one up when I see it. But a bit of a miss from them not Black Bucket imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I was being a bit facetious, and will probably pick one up when I see it. But a bit of a miss from them not Black Bucket imo.

Oh for sure. Black Bucket is wrong and centre on the inside of the box, so I got excited thinking I had picked up a special box with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 l14masasddadsg

I see craft central has a load of newly imported Verdant beers but a lot of them are over €10 a can thanks to Brexit. I wonder will stuff like this keep getting imported from the England with prices like that. I like Verdant beers but not willing to spend that much, can't imagine many would.

Is there a market or a NI based off licence importing UK stuff and shipping to Ireland/EU, and also vice cersa?

I'm sure it's against multiple laws, but I was under the impression we can still import stuff from NI tax free, and NI can import from GB tax free?

I'm assuming there's still different VAT rates, but would it beat the Brexit tax that appears to have been added to UK beers recently?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Is there a market or a NI based off licence importing UK stuff and shipping to Ireland/EU, and also vice cersa?
    Not that I'm aware of. It would be nice if the likes of The Vineyard did, but they're NI only. Fairley's Wines will ship south, but don't have much by way of GB beers on their site.
    I was under the impression we can still import stuff from NI tax free,
    Never could before Brexit, and that hasn't changed. The law that alcohol product tax is due in the recipient's country when goods are shipped has always applied for cross-border trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

grimbergen wrote: »
    Anyone familiar with canning on here? I’m just wondering if it’s feasible to ask a brewery to say, can 1,000 cans, with my company’s logo on them?

I would provide the artwork but is it something breweries go for?

Might have been mentioned already, but I know White Hag used to do this.
    I got some beers that were company branded, but bottled by WH a few years back.

White Hag also did custom labelled beers for Cut & Sew barbers.
    First time I'd been offered a free beer when going to get my hair cut!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

White Hag box arrived this morning, I got:

2 Shamrock Shake

Jesus, I pity you having two of those. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,848 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They looked better than they tasted :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Other half loved 'em, so they do have their fans!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

They looked better than they tasted :pac:

LeafyDisloyalDoctorfish-max-1mb.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20 l14masasddadsg

BeerNut wrote: »
    Not that I'm aware of. It would be nice if the likes of The Vineyard did, but they're NI only. Fairley's Wines will ship south, but don't have much by way of GB beers on their site.

Never could before Brexit, and that hasn't changed. The law that alcohol product tax is due in the recipient's country when goods are shipped has always applied for cross-border trade.

Vineyard my favourite off licence on the island.

KWM in Kilkeel ship to the republic, and have a good UK selection. So is it possible if I order from them I might get stung for import fees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,780 ✭✭✭✭L1011

KWM in Kilkeel ship to the republic, and have a good UK selection. So is it possible if I order from them I might get stung for import fees?

Yes

Its unlikely, but not impossible.
    Effects wrote: »
    White Hag also did custom labelled beers for Cut & Sew barbers.
    First time I'd been offered a free beer when going to get my hair cut!

Common enough in the chains that are well over 20 quid for a simple cut. Its generally been Molson Canadian which suggests they may be getting them very cheap or free! Caused a bit of a scandal about offering them before pub hours a few years back.

Did a Yards&Crafts order, arrived next day - but they use Fastway. So it was delivered by some rando in a people carrier; not a proper van which looks really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Anyone picking up the Porterhouse Easter special?
    Around the Clock?

L1011 wrote: »
    Yes

Its unlikely, but not impossible.
    I wasn't aware of that. I was looking at a few of the boxes from some breweries - really liked the look of the Mourne Mountains easter box, but stg£50 delivered was a bit steep to go in blind.
    Did a Yards&Crafts order, arrived next day - but they use Fastway. So it was delivered by some rando in a people carrier; not a proper van which looks really bad..
    I'm finding it hard to use anyone who uses fastway at the moment. Local delivery is fine, but a few have been delayed (not just beer).
    Around the Clock?
    Chocolate Stout I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I wasn't aware of that. I was looking at a few of the boxes from some breweries - really liked the look of the Mourne Mountains easter box, but stg£50 delivered was a bit steep to go in blind.

I'm finding it hard to use anyone who uses fastway at the moment. Local delivery is fine, but a few have been delayed (not just beer).

I've seen a lot of people on my Untappd getting deliveries from that KWM crowd. I've been tempted, but I have way more than I can responsibly consume built up.
    Chocolate Stout I think?

Chocolate truffle, says they.

https://twitter.com/phbrew/status/1375009624844333058?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

I see craft central has a load of newly imported Verdant beers but a lot of them are over €10 a can thanks to Brexit. I wonder will stuff like this keep getting imported from the England with prices like that. I like Verdant beers but not willing to spend that much, can't imagine many would.

While the prices are not too far off what you would pay in the UK, I find it amazing that it takes the distributor almost 3 months to get them over here from the time they are canned (e.g. in the case of their most hyped beer, Putty). Incidentally, a Cork-based speciality off-licence has dropped this distributor in recent weeks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

Chocolate Stout I think?

I've had 2 cases delivered from mourne mountains in the last few months and no customs issues, could have been just luck though. Would recommend their stuff, very nice.

During Beerclouds Fastway era, I doubt they ever made a cent off me. Missing boxes that needed replacement, entirely missing deliveries, etc. Got given a full slab rather than a 12 box as an apology for one issue.

Another one that did arrive, eventually, got routed to Kerry. Got called by presumably the van driving Healey-Rae (or at least he sounded like one) at 7:10am to confirm that I was actually in Kildare and then the box turned up two days later after having had more of a holiday than I've had recently!

Only other courier related beer issues have been DPD missing next-day for Craftcentral last week (but still delivering Saturday morning); and one can (of 48 I think) getting punctured with bad handling by UPS from Whiplash, which was replaced in a store discount. And there's been a delivery most weeks for a year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Around the Clock?
    Chocolate Stout I think?
    Pen Rua wrote: »

Picked up 6 cans, looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Did a Yards&Crafts order, arrived next day - but they use Fastway. So it was delivered by some rando in a people carrier; not a proper van which looks really bad.

My local fastway delivery man has something similar and the packages always stink of cigarette smoke.

Never had an issue with Beercloud with fastway, but have had a couple of issues now with craft direct and yards and crafts (and other non-beer supplies), after months of no issues with craft direct.

DPD work Saturdays here too, so a bit more wriggle room.
    simonw wrote: »
    I've had 2 cases delivered from mourne mountains in the last few months and no customs issues, could have been just luck though. Would recommend their stuff, very nice.
    I wasn't even worried about customs issues until now! But may still go back, after pay day, but went with bankers from St Mels instead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Picked up 6 cans, looking forward to it.

Will this be sold in off licenses or just direct from PH?

Top-notch packaging from Yards&Crafts

Box in a box - surrounded with cardboard bumpers
    Inner box has can dividers - is a 24 can box, I ordered 16 so the two ends were left empty which provides a bit of extra bump resistence
    Cardboard stoppers for want of a better word on top of 330ml cans to stop them jumping up and down - box is the height of a 440ml can

In general, how is their selection of beers compared to say Craft Central?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Scraggy Bay is the beer of the month in Supervalu @€;2.75 for a 440ml can. Don't recall seeing Kinnegar cans there before.

8 degrees is €2.50 a can

Yep just dropped into my local SuperValu and picked up some. They weren't there before so nice to have.

Passenger wrote: »
    In general, how is their selection of beers compared to say Craft Central?

Erm, slightly more obscure stuff I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Box in a box - surrounded with cardboard bumpers
    Inner box has can dividers - is a 24 can box, I ordered 16 so the two ends were left empty which provides a bit of extra bump resistence
    Cardboard stoppers for want of a better word on top of 330ml cans to stop them jumping up and down - box is the height of a 440ml can

They do a fine job alright

Perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭flended12

Blacks in kinsale had a 48 can offer for €55!

Sold out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Will this be sold in off licenses or just direct from PH?

I'd say they will release a small amount to off licenses like they have done with Around the Clock.

• Advertisement

Probably don't sell out of specials as quick rather than necessarily having more?

Just to say, couldn't fault their packing for the couple of bottles in my order either, more a fault of my own patience. Fastway must seriously undercut DPD or look after those customers.

Advertisement