Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Was in on Thursday, and none in my local Aldi. Like that, not even space. A nice surprise the Lough Gill ones being back, as they were a staple in the sunny lockdown 1 days.
    Wicklow/ Rathnew Aldi had the Rascals, Black Donkey, Dundalk Bay. Picked up the Sheep Stealer and an American IPA. Still think the Dundalk Bay packaging/ branding is rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I'd say they will release a small amount to off licenses like they have done with Around the Clock.
    Anyone on here tried the latest release of this? Had one bottle last weekend, was nice but didn't find it as mind-blowing as the first release over Christmas. Had about 7/8 stouts on board by the time I opened it though, so that may be a factor :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Anyone on here tried the latest release of this? Had one bottle last weekend, was nice but didn't find it as mind-blowing as the first release over Christmas. Had about 7/8 stouts on board by the time I opened it though, so that may be a factor :pac:

Waiting to open mine - a friend has 2 bottles of the 1st batch he's dropping into me so will be nice to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Huge drop of US beers over on Craft Central - Equilibrium, Grimm, KCBC, Thin Man & Barrier all feature. Amudsen from Norway also added.

It looks like the €7-11 price per can is not exclusive to the UK beers. Some saucy enough prices in this lot. Usual caveat that CC can add a couple of cents per can versus your local shop (in my experience). A couple of reasonably priced cans in there too.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Huge drop of US beers over on Craft Central - Equilibrium, Grimm, KCBC, Thin Man & Barrier all feature. Amudsen from Norway also added.

It looks like the €7-11 price per can is not exclusive to the UK beers. Some saucy enough prices in this lot. Usual caveat that CC can add a couple of cents per can versus your local shop (in my experience). A couple of reasonably priced cans in there too.

Just had a look at the new arrivals, which include Thin Man - Trial By Wombat. That is possibly my favourite beer name ever. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

flended12 wrote: »
    Blacks in kinsale had a 48 can offer for €55!

Sold out now.

It lasted for seconds after the email went out

Had a look at their website, and this notice was at the foot of the page. It isn't dated. But confirms they're changing the name due to the use of "Gypsy"

Looking through their Twitter, it seems the new name is "Odyssey"

https://twitter.com/whitegypsy/status/1347584765579325446

New branding might already be out in the wild. Bradley’s in Cork.

Borzoi wrote: »
    It lasted for seconds after the email went out

Were they the normal or small cans? Some value id they were the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

L1011 wrote: »
    Box in a box - surrounded with cardboard bumpers
    Inner box has can dividers - is a 24 can box, I ordered 16 so the two ends were left empty which provides a bit of extra bump resistence
    Cardboard stoppers for want of a better word on top of 330ml cans to stop them jumping up and down - box is the height of a 440ml can
    I'll see yards and crafts, and raise with a St Mels...

Extra cardboard at the top and bottom, with a double layer of bubble wrap in the box. This box wrapped in 2 layers of bubble wrap, in a second box! Delivered by DPD.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

It's nice branding, kinda has an Asian vibe to it. Can't help but think it doesn't match their beers, which tend to be quite traditional styles. I don't like the fact that they don't have the beer style on the front either.

• Advertisement

irish_goat wrote: »
    It's nice branding, kinda has an Asian vibe to it. Can't help but think it doesn't match their beers, which tend to be quite traditional styles. I don't like the fact that they don't have the beer style on the front either.

If I was a newbie buying I’d pick up the new Bru ahead of it (comparing the other end of the scale). Say what it is before you do anything fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Were they the normal or small cans? Some value id they were the former.

smallies. Still good value

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

They really need an interim badge on the new label to highlight it used to be White Gypsy.

irish_goat wrote: »

I find that very frustrating also. Don't make me work to find out what you're selling me... just show me. :confused:

Came across this excellent article last night - https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/blog/2021/3/24/wild-atlantic-way-the-contemporary-history-of-independent-beer-in-ireland?fbclid=IwAR2usX-Z7ENiGGfUvJ3QU0NNWnfBIdjRqZrI3cwE_9iPGR9_zue35twMtnc

The writer goes through a history of Irish breweries, with a particular focus on Galway Bay Brewing / Land & Labour. An excellent read, imo.

The same writer has pieces on Canvas, West Kerry Brewing, Westmalle & St. Bernardus Brewery. All also goods reads in their own right. The same website has a read on Garage Brewing Co in Spain, but this I have not read.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

They really need an interim badge on the new label to highlight it used to be White Gypsy.

They are still using White Gypsy bottle caps, tho they may be just using up stock of them

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hopefully they keep the full range of beers under the new branding. Especially the large bottles!

laros wrote: »
    They are still using White Gypsy bottle caps, tho they may be just using up stock of them

You can't see that when looking at the shelf.

The missus loves white gypsy but doesn't know about the rebrand. I'll test her out when we're next in an offie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Just drinking a Gipsy Hill beer here and wondering would they go the same rebranding route as White Gypsy. Somehow I doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Just drinking a Gipsy Hill beer here and wondering would they go the same rebranding route as White Gypsy. Somehow I doubt it

Slightly different.

Gypsy Hill is the name of a road in Croyden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭prionnsias

Just had one of the white hag salted caramel pastry stout, it would hardly be called a beer, sweet as hell. They do have a lot of nice beers but too many novelty beers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

prionnsias wrote: »
    Just had one of the white hag salted caramel pastry stout, it would hardly be called a beer, sweet as hell. They do have a lot of nice beers but too many novelty beers

They have a new stout out this week Festa Nuda. Only see it on their website for 120eur

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    They have a new stout out this week Festa Nuda. Only see it on their website for 120eur

That's for 24 cans. Or you can get a mixed box of 8 each of Festa Nuda, the salted caramel stout and the Black Forest stout for EUR 80. I would strongly advise against that, the Black Forest stout is truly an abomination, one of the worst beers I've tasted in years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Slightly different.

Gypsy Hill is the name of a road in Croyden.

I thought to my self, "I bet there's a campaign to rename the area to something more politically correct". Sure enough, there is a change.org petition to change the name to Gishland Park on the grounds of the offensiveness of 'Gipsy' alright. It only has 25 signatures after 3 months however :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Zaph wrote: »
    I would strongly advise against that, the Black Forest stout is truly an abomination, one of the worst beers I've tasted in years.

I enjoyed that one. :o

The English general public always seem less into all that rubbish than here to their credit.

Are you for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

I enjoyed that one. :o

Me too :o

But the Mexican Hot Chocolate was really not for me, and I think that seemed to be rated higher :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I wasn't that blown away by the first release. It was nice, but not amazing.
    I preferred the second, which was a bit sweeter, thanks to the sherry influence.

What you have drank ahead of it really makes a difference though.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Idea for beer- buck fast barrel aged stout. Pm to discuss royalties

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

TXPTGR1 wrote: »
    Idea for beer- buck fast barrel aged stout.
    That could be difficult as I don't think Buckfast is aged in barrels. Elixir in Scotland makes a Scotch Ale with added Buckfast, and it's really good.

Advertisement