Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭Polar101

Ordered a case from Sullivan's, they have same day delivery in Dublin and Kilkenny (if you order before 1pm). Delivered by their own van, so no courier companies which is a plus for me. Very happy with the service, going to try the beer tonight, too.

https://sullivans-store.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Anyone know what delivery time from White Hag to Dublin is at the mo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Seems to be 1 - 2 weekdays if they have it ready.

I ordered Puca and Dark Druid on Saturday. I got the Puca on Wednesday and the Dark Druid on Thursday. But they said they were only packing the Dark Druid on Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Hoping my Martin's order has such a turnaround also. We'll see when it arrives. Some of the items noted a lead time of 3-5 days.

Two cans from Wicklow Wolf, a pale ale from Whiplash (have read about them through out this thread) and some other cans. Bulk of order was Belgian beers - especially Trappist ones I haven't been able to get before (Achel, Le Trappe).

I keep herself onboard with beer deliveries by making sure there is equity in the order - one beer for me, one for her...!

We will see how long this order keeps us going. I've not ordered a single stout in my two deliveries thus far. Think I better rectify that...

Gladly took delivery of the above order from Martin's today! Very pleased to receive a delivery on a Saturday & compliance with social distancing observed by Fastway staff - credit where credit is due.

My Le Trappe Quad was replaced with a Rochefort 10 - can't complain at all with that sub!

Unrelated, I can see Eight Degrees are due to reopen on Monday. Hm, tempting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I’ve used Craft Central twice in last two weeks to get deliveries to rural sunny south east. Flawless and fast. Ordered on a Sunday night, delivered noon on Tuesday. Ordered a week later very late on a Monday night and arrived Wednesday morning.

Highly recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Just came across this article from the states:
    https://www.brewbound.com/news/brewers-association-survey-46-of-craft-breweries-say-they-may-be-forced-to-close-within-3-months

Has anyone heard anything similar from here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just came across this article from the states:
    https://www.brewbound.com/news/brewers-association-survey-46-of-craft-breweries-say-they-may-be-forced-to-close-within-3-months

The only brewery I've seen publicly stating they may be in trouble was Black Donkey - https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/try-an-irish-craft-beer-and-help-keep-the-breweries-afloat-1.4217989 - but I'm fairly sure there's others that are hurting badly too.

Keg-only or keg-heavy breweries will be utterly screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,013 ✭✭✭✭Basq

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The industry is a completely different shape here. Most American breweries are brewpubs or heavily dependent on their taprooms. While pubs are very important to Irish breweries, they'll be better able to adapt to the new reality. People will still want beer.

The outlook for the on-trade looks pretty bleak, though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I'm think on the whole I'm probably drinking slightly more Irish craft. I made a bit of a decision that I would try to focus on buying Irish beer brands, which means I'm buying less foreign craft beer but also drinking less wine (part of that is because we're not going to restaurants). I'd also normally end up having a pint or two of macro stuff before a Derry City match in a non-craft serving pub, so that's not happening either.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

Yeah I think I'm drinking at least as much Local Independent beer as usual. Have ordered from Martins, Craft Central and White Hag so far and all excellent. In an order of 20 beers from Craft Central and Martins, I am probably ordering 2 non Irish beers each time, so trying to support local as much as possible.

I want to order direct from more breweries but kind of baulking at ordering 12 or 24 of the same beer, even a mix of 4 different would be more attractive to me.

I would go out now and then for a drink, not pay too much attention to who brews what I'm getting. I would seldom get craft beers for home consumption.

But, now I am able to ensure delivery of orders from off licenses that are offering it which encouraged me to check out what is on offer. And from that, there is an effort to support Irish brewers over others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Generally next day once you order before their cut off (noon??)

I order in the morning and delivery was due the following day (DPD error prevented this).

Separately, went through my Craft Central haul rather quickly. I had seen Martin's Off License mentioned throughout this thread. Went onto the website... this is dangerous for my bank account!

EDIT: I was looking again at Martin's Off License. A lot of their stock is showing 3-5 days lead time on delivery. Have people had any issues on such orders? Am thinking that delays might mean issues with the order etc...

I ordered from Martins. Took about a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I’ve used Craft Central twice in last two weeks to get deliveries to rural sunny south east. Flawless and fast. Ordered on a Sunday night, delivered noon on Tuesday. Ordered a week later very late on a Monday night and arrived Wednesday morning.

Highly recommend.

+1

I've ordered a few times fro them. Always super quick delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I ordered from beercloud.ie a few weeks back and was happy with what I got. I see that the range has expanded massively since - great work by the people behind it!
    I'd prefer to see more canned products on offer though, bottles are heavy and take up excess room on what are already full delivery trucks.
    Plus, who wants to be recycling bottles just now?

Eight Degrees' online store is back open with a minimum order of 2 cases.

https://www.eightdegrees.ie/shop/

At present, they are offering Glen of Imaal (oatmeal pale ale @ 69.95), Black Ball (stout @ 109.95), Citra (IPA @ 60) and Full Irish (IPA @ 60). In all instances price is for a case of 24 x 440ml cans

The two IPAs work out at 2.50 a can (vs. 3.75 on Craft Central.ie) whilst the stout comes to 4.50ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Eight Degrees' online store is back open with a minimum order of 2 cases.

https://www.eightdegrees.ie/shop/

At present, they are offering Glen of Imaal (oatmeal pale ale @ 69.95), Black Ball (stout @ 109.95), Citra (IPA @ 60) and Full Irish (IPA @ 60). In all instances price is for a case of 24 x 440ml cans

The two IPAs work out at 2.50 a can (vs. 3.75 on Craft Central.ie) whilst the stout comes to 4.50ish.

Highly recommend their Black Ball Stout, savage stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Ordered Friday, came today, great service.

Ordered Friday, came today, great service.
    Yep, ordered mine Sunday. Due today by DPD between 3 and 4.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Basq wrote: »
    Yep, ordered mine Sunday. Due today by DPD between 3 and 4.

ah balls, I ordered yesterday hoping for the weekend,

oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

oh well

I'd say you should be okay, usually 2-3 working days to get to you. So hopefully by Friday for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Got a case of 24 cans of Rascals Yankee white IPA delivered yesterday (€60 including shipping, ordered Sunday). Woke today with 9 cans left and a bit of a head! So I've ordered the same again, it's lovely stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Got a case of 24 cans of Rascals Yankee white IPA delivered yesterday (€60 including shipping, ordered Sunday). Woke today with 9 cans left and a bit of a head! So I've ordered the same again, it's lovely stuff

Yikes! 15 cans and that stuff is 5% ABV. Sore head to say the least!

Those are my favourite beers though.

oh well
    You’ll probably get it tomorrow / Friday.

Mine just arrived:
    IMG-20200422-160459.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

SozBbz wrote: »
    Yikes! 15 cans and that stuff is 5% ABV. Sore head to say the least!

Those are my favourite beers though.

Not all by myself, I'd have some head! There's 4 grown ups in this house with us all at home (22 yo daughter and 21 son) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mike_cork

My friend and I put in a joint order today from 9 white deer online, plus another order from beer cloud for st mels and western herd. Well stocked for the next couple of months now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

mike_cork wrote: »
    My friend and I put in a joint order today from 9 white deer online, plus another order from beer cloud for st mels and western herd. Well stocked for the next couple of months now :)

That is what I always think but it ends up being weeks!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Basq wrote: »
    You’ll probably get it tomorrow / Friday.

Mine just arrived:
    IMG-20200422-160459.jpg

arrived earlier - crisis averted

• Advertisement

I ordered some Rye River beers from Craft Central.ie, not being familiar with the brewery (more being taken by the idea of their Belgian stout!).

I looked them up and it seems as if the same brewery produces McGargles brand stuff? And have I read elsewhere they produce Lidl/Aldi's own brand craft beer. Is that correct?

Advertisement