Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ballykilcavan covered on Ear To The Ground this evening - the farm to fermenter element and the diversification being the main interest for a farming show. They now use their own hops also, for a specific beer.

Met David (the owner/brewer) at the Kildare County Show on a Minch stand, totally different to a normal beer show. Unfortunately I was driving so even with the eight hours I was going to be there on another stand I couldn't heavily partake in the quite cheap pints!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Craft beer listed as the specials for this Thursday, despite all the Irish ones being in there already.
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/c/craft-beer/c111/w2

Anyone see the punk af? Checked my local lidl this morning and they didn't have it

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Smurts

Anyone know is Cleverman brewing are still operating? Cant see any of their drinks in stock anywhere! Trying to get some more of the Turf Stout - lovely stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭flended12

Smurts wrote: »
    Anyone know is Cleverman brewing are still operating? Cant see any of their drinks in stock anywhere! Trying to get some more of the Turf Stout - lovely stuff

Havent drank it ina while, but seen it about 6months ago here https://www.kiltipperbar.ie/off-licence/

Always liked the turf smoked in fairness. Keep out of fridge to keep full flavour.

sure enquire directly Drew Fox Brewing Company
    Unit 8, West Point Business Pk
    Clonard, Wexford, Ireland

Email: malcolm@cleverman.ie
    Email: andrea@cleverman.ie

Thanks, will see if they have any in stock!

Just searched on twitter, looks like they had to stop/pause production due to a combination of rent and Covid issues, shame, hopefully they will be back

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Pretty sure they've closed down for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭flended12

irish_goat wrote: »

Nightmare, really liked their stuff.

irish_goat wrote: »

Thats an awful shame, their last tweet is from November 2020 where they said they have had to pause production. Hadnt tried their other beers but the stout was top notch

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

L1011 wrote: »
    Ballykilcavan covered on Ear To The Ground this evening - the farm to fermenter element and the diversification being the main interest for a farming show. They now use their own hops also, for a specific beer.

Met David (the owner/brewer) at the Kildare County Show on a Minch stand, totally different to a normal beer show. Unfortunately I was driving so even with the eight hours I was going to be there on another stand I couldn't heavily partake in the quite cheap pints!
    Think that must be the repeat? Kinda laughed at them swigging from the bottle conditioned bottles. He always comes across well on the Craic beer festivals, often joining when their not one of the beers.

I'm not sure whether he does their social media, but they're top notch on that too. I guess that's part of the business, but they do it well, and it kind of makes you want to like their beers. Which I generally do anyway, particularly the Brown, Secret Passion and their stouts (both the Blackwells and the specials).
    Anyone see the punk af? Checked my local lidl this morning and they didn't have it
    Thursday night is my night out out, doing the family shop! Did they have the rest in?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Picked up 2 of the new Hazy NEIPA by Lough Gill. Mighty tasty I must say.. not a huge fan of their stuff and while it could have done with a bit more carbonation, it’s ideal for a warm Summer day!

Lough%20Gill%20Haze%20Potato%20Chips-1200x1200.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭AhhHere

Thats an awful shame, their last tweet is from November 2020 where they said they have had to pause production. Hadnt tried their other beers but the stout was top notch

That stout was one of my favourites. Always picked up a bottle wherever I saw it. Really hope it's just a pause

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Thursday night is my night out out, doing the family shop! Did they have the rest in?

Yes as far as I could see they did, not 100% sure on the Belgian stuff though. I'll try a different lidl tomorrow. Pregnant wife looking for some nice AF beer :rolleyes:

Nearly tempted by the Belgian stuff, but I always tend to buy/ drink Irish. Any recommendations on the White Hag 4-packs? Not that they're any saving on craft central, but I do like to support the breweries when they're in Aldi/ Lidl, as I know it's important for them.

Nearly tempted by the Belgian stuff, but I always tend to buy/ drink Irish. Any recommendations on the White Hag 4-packs? Not that they're any saving on craft central, but I do like to support the breweries when they're in Aldi/ Lidl, as I know it's important for them.
    Think it's Ninth Wave, Phantom and Little Fawn in 4 packs.

They're all solid but my personal preference would be;
    - Ninth Wave (hard to get something more refreshing especially when weather is good!)
    - Little Fawn (while I think it's one of best Session IPA's on the market, I've drank a lot of it over the years that it wouldn't be my first choice)
    - Phantom (it's a popular one but never really enjoyed the "mouth feel" on it... kinda bitter and just never agrees with me).

I always like the tank one.

Yes as far as I could see they did, not 100% sure on the Belgian stuff though. I'll try a different lidl tomorrow. Pregnant wife looking for some nice AF beer :rolleyes:
    Had the full range in Wicklow, including punk af.

I think they have punk af in tesco or dunnes though just as standard. Roadworks Early Start in aldi is pretty decent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

Basq wrote: »
    Think it's Ninth Wave, Phantom and Little Fawn in 4 packs.

They're all solid but my personal preference would be;
    - Ninth Wave (hard to get something more refreshing especially when weather is good!)
    - Little Fawn (while I think it's one of best Session IPA's on the market, I've drank a lot of it over the years that it wouldn't be my first choice)
    - Phantom (it's a popular one but never really enjoyed the "mouth feel" on it... kinda bitter and just never agrees with me).

I'd agree, I've drank several times my body weight of Ninth Wave on draught in the last few years. It first appeared in my local as a special, myself and the barman started smiling after I took my first mouthful, it's been a fixture since, seriously drinkable.
    I don't really get Phantom, tbh, it's lacking the flavour of Ninth Wave and I prefer a bit more bang for my buck. Little Fawn does what it does, well.

BTW, judging by the latest email from White Hag, it appears that these beers are going to be a permanent fixture in Lidl, which is great news.

This is a huge expansion in availability and exposure for the brewery. There's over 160 Lidl stores in every corner of Ireland and they can ride the coattails of Lidls' marketing power. The potential market is huge and hopefully if the current selection sell well, it'll open the door to more variations in store. The wider availability of Irish craft beer, countrywide, can only be a good thing. More power to their elbow.

BTW, judging by the latest email from White Hag, it appears that these beers are going to be a permanent fixture in Lidl, which is great news.
    Didn't go for them in the end this week. Will pick up some next week. Porterhouse also replied to me on Facebook that their permanent too, so you'd assume the same applies to Brú too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

It’s a shame Lidl aren’t doing White Hags Irish IPA (Bran & Sceolan) as part of this promotion. It’s probably the best value, consistently good IPAs out there.

It’s a shame Lidl aren’t doing White Hags Irish IPA (Bran & Sceolan) as part of this promotion. It’s probably the best value, consistently good IPAs out there.
    Hell yes.. and the move to the 440ml can was very welcome!

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »
    Hell yes.. and the move to the 440ml can was very welcome!
    And Atlantean, which is the pick of their one's I've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Was in SV Heuston on Saturday and they had a hape of WH Festa Nuda for those that are inclined.

However, they also had some WH Keltoi Kolsch collab with Mont Hardi. This completely bypassed me. Two of the lads got some in WH boxes the last while and said it was decent.

Would have to agree. Lovely version of the genre.

All weekend's intake was overshadowed by this though:

550657.jpeg

Hands down the best beer I've had this year and definitely up into the pantheon of the beer gods for me. Stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

For all the white hag hate I’ve posted here re their godawful pastry stouts have to say I’m liking their Keltoi kolsch- can’t wait to have one on a sunny summer afternoon- refreshing

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

TXPTGR1 wrote: »
    For all the white hag hate I’ve posted here re their godawful pastry stouts have to say I’m liking their Keltoi kolsch- can’t wait to have one on a sunny summer afternoon- refreshing

It's really nice. Hopefully a few will stick around til the summer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Late to the party but tried O Haras nitro today... Whoah, I’m a fairly critical bugger but the can I got was the best off licence nitro offering I have ever had. I’ll be buying more, genuinely was impressed.

Afterwards a White Hag Festa Nuda. Also excellent, but bordering on too dessert-like even for a dessert beer. Good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Craft Central.ie are running a promotion with DOT - buy a can of their IPA IPA and be entered into a draw for a case of it.

Indie Beer Week by Craic Beer Community is a month away. All boxes from Beer Cloud.ie.

It's set for the same weekend as Eurovision & the Monaco F1 GP :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Anyone notice the beerclub.ie Instagram posts are all over the place in terms of cropped photos, I've commented under one before so they must be intentional for whatever reason

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Dellboy54

Anyone notice the beerclub.ie Instagram posts are all over the place in terms of cropped photos, I've commented under one before so they must be intentional for whatever reason

I've noticed that too. Also some beer pics on their website have a Arriving after Easter Weekend written across them which comes up on their insta also.

It's very like they're using an app to post to multiple platforms at once as the same pictures appear on Facebook or Twitter without being cropped. Very odd that none of them have noticed it by now though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's very like they're using an app to post to multiple platforms at once as the same pictures appear on Facebook or Twitter without being cropped.
    Post Studio plugin for Shopify, by the looks of it.

Advertisement