Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

It's very like they're using an app to post to multiple platforms at once as the same pictures appear on Facebook or Twitter without being cropped. Very odd that none of them have noticed it by now though.

Well they liked my comment about it so I'm sure they do

Judging by that can of To Øl they don’t seem to be too bothered.

Here's another weird one, wouldn't wanna miss this if it sells out lol

https://twitter.com/thebeerclub_ie/status/1384960437419233285?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭Basq

PXL-20210423-100155850-2.jpg

My latest buys.

Those 4 Dundalk Bay Brewmeister Range were being pushed HARD in my local Centra. Think I read about them earlier in the thread but can't recall any reports. €10.40 for 4 X 440ml's I think.

That Lough Gill Potato Hazy IPA is beautifully refreshing on a warm day if you can get your hands on it.

New White Hag Tangerine IPA, Shebeen, sounds interesting but not typically a fan of citrus IPA's so we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Brewmaster is mostly discussed here for its divisive branding. I've had most of the range and they are grand. The American pale ale is really a Belgian ale, that was the worst of them for me. The micro IPA was probably my favourite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Only had the American Pale Ale, and it really wasn't for me. Probably the most underwhelmed I've been with an Irish beer in about 18 months. Admittedly, going in with the bias against the branding, and the set up. Hoping to get my hands on the two non-brewmaster in that line up though, but won't be this weekend.

Wasn't buying this week, so only picked up the Galway Hooker Anniversary Double, Festa Nua and a Low Tide when passing O'Briens...

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Brewmaster Bock and the hausparty Pils are both great beers for their styles. The pale and IPA are grand. There's far worse breweries on the island, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Plenty of new craft beer in Tesco on Paul St in Cork - mainly 4 packs of 330ml cans but Kinnegar singles now added.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Plenty of new craft beer in Tesco on Paul St in Cork - mainly 4 packs of 330ml cans but Kinnegar singles now added.

Those 3 new 4packs of O'Hara's are new.
    If they're as on form with those as they were with the Tropical IPA they'll be well worth a try.

I wonder if that Lo-Cal IPA has any relation to the Boyne Session IPA? They bought Boyne's product line a while back?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭babaracus

Those 3 new 4packs of O'Hara's are new.
    If they're as on form with those as they were with the Tropical IPA they'll be well worth a try.

I wonder if that Lo-Cal IPA has any relation to the Boyne Session IPA? They bought Boyne's product line a while back?

Ah, now i understand why Boyne had come back on sale suddenly after being gone quite a while, didn't realise the product line had been bought by someone else. The Session IPA is back on sale in 500ml bottles around me so the Lo-Cal is hardly the same but you never know. My local tesco always had the session for 6 for €10 330 ml size back in the day, i always liked it although it is a little over carbonated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Basq wrote: »

New White Hag Tangerine IPA, Shebeen, sounds interesting but not typically a fan of citrus IPA's so we'll see.

I'd a can of this earlier with dinner. Nice but not exceptional. I thought it didn't have much tangerine, just a little on the nose. I'd an Atlantean immediately after, which is nicer IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Borzoi wrote: »
    I'd a can of this earlier with dinner. Nice but not exceptional. I thought it didn't have much tangerine, just a little on the nose. I'd an Atlantean immediately after, which is nicer IMO

I was just going to say the same. Picked up a few of the Shebeen and the new 440ml Atlantean. Wasn’t too gone on Shebeen. I’ll drink the rest of them - nice on a good summers evening but will not be picking up any more.

First time having an Atlantean in few months. It really is a good beer and the new size can makes it better

• Registered Users Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just having Shebeen now.. quite like it as it's not as offensively flavoured as other citrus IPA's (Elvis Juice, I'm looking at you!).

More on the nose than anything.

Beautiful tipple given the weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

They launched a Pineapple Púca yesterday. Sign me up for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

They launched a Pineapple Púca yesterday. Sign me up for that.

Let's hope it's less watery than the lemon one knocking around atm.

Brewmaster Bock and the hausparty Pils are both great beers for their styles. The pale and IPA are grand. There's far worse breweries on the island, that's for sure.
    The bock is in the forthcoming craic meet up, so I guess they'll have a second chance with me anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I feel like O'Haras have been stagnating a bit the last couple of years but the new 330ml cans they've released are quality, tried the West Coast and Hazy IPA. Both very nice, a step up in quality from the 330ml White Hag cans like ninth wave and atlantean. A bit pricey at €12 for a 4 pack although both over 6%. Must try the lo cal session ipa

I feel like O'Haras have been stagnating a bit the last couple of years but the new 330ml cans they've released are quality, tried the West Coast and Hazy IPA. Both very nice, a step up in quality from the 330ml White Hag cans like ninth wave and atlantean. A bit pricey at €12 for a 4 pack although both over 6%. Must try the lo cal session ipa
    I like White Haze, which is only in the last year. And I haven't had a bad Hop Adventure. I'll keep an eye out for the new ones.
    Bit off the mark price wise, unless that's just the opening offer before they go on "sale".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Must try these out. If they are a step up in quality from Atlantean then they must be a serious drop.

Bierhaus in Cork is doing a meet the brewer type thing with Whiplash on Friday evening:
    https://twitter.com/BierhausCork/status/1386678329353310210

Craic Beer have a virtual meet up on Saturday, and there is no box to buy to get access:
    https://craic-beer-community.mn.co/events/craic-to-the-future-meetup

• Advertisement

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Craic Beer have a virtual meet up on Saturday, and there is no box to buy to get access:
    https://craic-beer-community.mn.co/events/craic-to-the-future-meetup
    The box is available on Beer Cloud though.
    https://beercloud.ie/product/craic-to-the-future/

Delivery by DPD these days, so in my experience is next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Beercloud next day cutoff is a bit earlier in the day than, say, CraftCentral, and I'm terrible for not remembering to order in the morning so any weekend orders are now done Wednesday and usually come Friday due to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

Sorry if this has been asked before, but would people recommend Craft Central?

Good service / prices?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Basq wrote: »
    Just having Shebeen now.. quite like it as it's not as offensively flavoured as other citrus IPA's (Elvis Juice, I'm looking at you!).

More on the nose than anything.

Beautiful tipple given the weather!

Had some of this at the weekend. Definitely milder flavoured than I expected, in a good way. Lovely stuff for the weather last weekend like you said and goes down very easily for a near 6% beer!

Butson wrote: »

Good service / prices?

Cheers
    Best of the lot in my experience.

Butson wrote: »

Good service / prices?

Cheers

I doubt you'll find many in this thread with a bad word to say about Craft Central.

Cut off time is generous. Some people have made an order just after and it was still shipped same day. They use DPD, who are generally next day delivery & reliable. They use standard 24-slot boxes (which is a drawback for some) for all orders with thick cardboard as a divider, never had an issue with breakages. A handful of people have had stories of the occasional mishap in an order (wrong can, or can missing) and they were quick to rectify. I think someone here placed an order sometime after a mistake, and they picked up it was the same person and sorted it out in that order or something.

They seem to be one of the first to have specials / limited editions on their webshop, typically a day or two before I see them in Bradley's.

I would suggest to main drawbacks: prices are sometimes a touch more expensive than what I would pay in Bradley's in Cork. If you don't do click & collect, you're also paying €5ish delivery, which is 1-2 cans worth! They don't carry many / any bottles - so you won't find many / any Belgian / German / Trappist... etc beers. You're also missing some fine bottle-only Irish breweries like Mescan.

I used them a bunch back this time last year, as 1) I didn't really want to venture out and 2) it was convenient getting a huge box of cans delivered as opposed to having to lug them back home. My buying habits have changed greatly since last year. I'm now more likely to get a handful of cans at a time, so it's just as easy to pop to Bradley's and support them. Plus the €5 delivery I would have been charged can go to beer instead.

Overall, they are for sure the best of the bunch.

I do find Beercloud very reliable too, but they are at a price premium unfortunately.

It may be local driver specific, but DPD do Saturday morning deliveries here, whilst Fastway is Monday to Friday. I was finding Fastway grand to be honest, but I've been let down on next day from the likes of Yards and Crafts and Craft Direct to rely on it at this stage if I need it for the weekend of a Thursday. Beer Club have a great range, and use An Post, but again they're an early in the week order for me.

I'm back in the area for essential reasons, so click and collect with Yards and Crafts is in play and I've used it a couple of times. But then so is the local to work off licence! I've Craft Beers Delivered order on route - they've a good bottle range. Edit - arrived next working day - order put in Monday evening, arrived at lunch in a massive box and individually wrapped bottles (West Kerry and Tom Crean fwiw)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The box is available on Beer Cloud though.
    https://beercloud.ie/product/craic-to-the-future/

Delivery by DPD these days, so in my experience is next day.

Gift Message (+€1.00)
    Pop a message below and we’ll include a hand-written gift card with your order

A €1 charge to write a message? Jaysis!

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Gift Message (+€1.00)
    Pop a message below and we’ll include a hand-written gift card with your order

A €1 charge to write a message? Jaysis!

Was thinking that myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Whereas at least on my two orders Yards & Crafts handwrote a thank you note for nothing!

Advertisement