Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Direct sunlight in a warehouse? That's a new one on me.

UPS deliver on Saturdays. Send Friday and deliver on Saturday, what would be the issue with that?

To be honest I misread the same day shipping and I assumed worse case it would be next day shipping. Given the amount I'm paying for the beer and for the delivery I'd expect a quicker turnaround.

Maybe I'm expecting too much.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

limnam wrote: »
    Craft central have some serious delivery times.

I've often ordered fairly late in the evening at get delivered in the morning.

They must be giving DPD back handers :pac:

They might have multiple collections throughout the day as well, as opposed to just one at the end of the day, and as they're a shop and their only MO is to be a shop, they may have more resources to get through more orders quicker!
    adrian522 wrote: »
    Surely it can be sent at some point on Friday though?

If I'd known order on Thursday would not be delivered until Tuesday at the earliest I'd have ordered from somewhere else.

If you ordered any of this week's releases, they're not even available in the vast majority of retailers until next week.
    Direct sunlight in a warehouse? That's a new one on me.

UPS deliver on Saturdays. Send Friday and deliver on Saturday, what would be the issue with that?

To be honest I misread the same day shipping and I assumed worse case it would be next day shipping. Given the amount I'm paying for the beer and for the delivery I'd expect a quicker turnaround.

UPS don't deliver everywhere on Saturdays, I think it depends on the location. They can do an "added service" for guaranteed Saturday delivery, but this cost would be passed on to every consumer and would bump the shipping cost to an unfeasible amount.

Open to correction, but I think we have the lowest shipping rates compared to other online retailers.

Given the amount you're paying for the beer, and the work we put in to making it, we want it shipped as fresh as possible!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Twee. wrote: »

If you ordered any of this week's releases, they're not even available in the vast majority of retailers until next week.

I'm not sure what point you are making here. If I'd have known I'd be waiting until next week I'd have ordered my beer elsewhere. I should have read the detail of the FAQ before ordering.

UPS don't deliver everywhere on Saturdays, I think it depends on the location. They can do an "added service" for guaranteed Saturday delivery, but this cost would be passed on to every consumer and would bump the shipping cost to an unfeasible amount.

I've had Saturday deliveries from most couriers over the last year and I wouldn't have been paying a premium for it. This includes An Post, DPD and UPS.
    Open to correction, but I think we have the lowest shipping rates compared to other online retailers.

I'm not sure, seems to be around the same price as other places.

Given the amount you're paying for the beer, and the work we put in to making it, we want it shipped as fresh as possible!
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Stuff sent on a Friday will usually arrive Monday at least; rather than Tuesday for a Monday shipment - and the warehouses are usually pretty cold. Most of my beer orders are probably close to drinking temperature when they arrive!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

I ordered from Whiplash on Wednesday just after 2pm and it was delivered at 7.45am the next morning. Can't ask for much quicker turnaround than that, with the caveat that you don't miss the giant sized text that details their shipping policy.

• Advertisement

What giant sized text? You need to go looking for it,

I agree that is a great turnaround which makes waiting 5 days for mine all the more frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

RonanC wrote: »
    I ordered from Whiplash on Wednesday just after 2pm and it was delivered at 7.45am the next morning. Can't ask for much quicker turnaround than that, with the caveat that you don't miss the giant sized text that details their shipping policy.

Same here and would agree they are the cheapest delivery from any of the usual craft beer brewers/retailers

Same here and would agree they are the cheapest delivery from any of the usual craft beer brewers/retailers

I agree it's a great service if you order any day other than Thursday

Not sure they are cheaper than other brewers for delivery though. Several offer free delivery over a certain amount.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I agree it's a great service of you order any day other than Thursday

Not sure they are cheaper than other brewers for delivery though. Several offer free delivery over.a.certain amount.

What do you want the outcome of all this to be? You've admitted that you misread the site, something that many others didn't do. Are you annoyed that you've no beers for the weekend, and you've spent your beer money online rather than in a local offy? Do you want Whiplash to add a large red disclaimer at the start of the page so you can't miss it? What's the goal here?

feylya wrote: »
    What do you want the outcome of all this to be? You've admitted that you misread the site, something that many others didn't do. Are you annoyed that you've no beers for the weekend, and you've spent your beer money online rather than in a local offy? Do you want Whiplash to add a large red disclaimer at the start of the page so you can't miss it? What's the goal here?

I've said above what my issue is.

• Advertisement

I've said above what my issue is.

You've said a lot of things above.

You've said a lot of things above.

I pointed out my issue in a single post then I've been responding to individual messages.

Essentially I don't understand why an order made on Wednesday afternoon can be delivered on Thursday morning at 7.45 am yet an order made on Thursday afternoon can't be delivered until Tuesday.

I struggle with that logic. But anyway I've made my point and received my answer at this point.

I pointed bout my issue in a single post then I've been responding to individual response

Essentially I don't understand why an order made on Wednesday afternoon cam.be delivered on Thursday morning at 7.45 am yet an order made on Thursday afternoon can't be delivered until Tuesday.

I struggle with that logic. But anyway I've made my point and received my answer at this point.

You completely miss the point that deliveries can be made, but Whiplash chose not to, and advertise that fact repeatedly, to ensure quality. Do you bang on shop doors when they chose to close between 1 and 2 pm for lunch, just because other places are still open?

You completely miss the point that deliveries can be made, but Whiplash chose not to, and advertise that fact repeatedly, to ensure quality. Do you bang on shop doors when they chose to close between 1 and 2 pm for lunch, just because other places are still open?

I don't miss that point at all. I just don't understand why they don't ship on Fridays. Didn't think it would be that hard for you to understand.

Also they don't "advertise it repeatedly", it's buried on an FAQ page. The same page that says deliveries can be expected in 1 to 2 days.

I don't get your point about banging on shop doors at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Personally, the shipping policy / FAQ is one of the first places I go to on a (new) website prior to placing an order on it.

It's been explained already why they opt not to ship on Fridays. They have it emblazoned on foot of the webshop that there is same day dispatch Mon - Thurs where orders are placed before midday (fwiw, I placed an order a 2pm when the new releases went live and it was with me the next morning). It's said again on the FAQ and generally on the social channels. That's their policy for the reasons many have pointed to above. I got the vibe from the various Meet-the-Brewer type events that they did in the last couple of months that they really care for the quality of the beer. If not dispatching on Fridays means the beer stays in their control for two extra days, that's their policy choice.

Exactly, I asked a question and it was answered.

I personally would prefer my order to be delivered as soon as possible but as you say its their choice, also feel they could be clearer that they don't ship on Friday-Sunday but I've learnt my lesson in that regard.

I may be in the direction of Waterford next weekend. Is there any particular off license worth trying to get to? I believe Metalman is brewed in that part of the country and is seldom available in Cork.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I may be in the direction of Waterford next weekend. Is there any particular off license worth trying to get to? I believe Metalman is brewed in that part of the country and is seldom available in Cork.

Not sure about Waterford bit if you are in Kilkenny the Wine Centre is worth a look.

Not sure about Waterford bit if you are in Kilkenny the Wine Centre is worth a look.

Thanks! As it happens, due there in June so I’ll have that in my to do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

World Wide Wines is the Waterford offy that wins all the awards.

• Advertisement

Thanks! As it happens, due there in June so I’ll have that in my to do.

Obviously closed now but they have a bar/taproom setup outback in conjunction with Sullivans Brewing

https://sullivanstaproom.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

I discovered the Sours are very hard for me to drink. Didnt like the The White Hag - Pineapple Puca Sour and tonight had the new whiplast mango sour. Riddled with heartburn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Would second that. Great selection of beers.

Obviously closed now but they have a bar/taproom setup outback in conjunction with Sullivans Brewing

https://sullivanstaproom.com/

I can't remember if it's this brand or another I'm getting it mixed up with, but do they contract brew in Dundalk as opposed to by themselves in Kilkenny?

Yes I think that's them alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yes, so calling it a taproom is a bit of stretch. Decent food deals in the pre-covid days when I was in there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

do they contract brew in Dundalk as opposed to by themselves in Kilkenny?
    They do both. The pilot kit in Kilkenny produces small-batch specials that are only sold on draught in the taproom.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Carry out ferrybank and World Wide Wines.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Yes, so calling it a taproom is a bit of stretch. Decent food deals in the pre-covid days when I was in there.
    BeerNut wrote: »
    They do both. The pilot kit in Kilkenny produces small-batch specials that are only sold on draught in the taproom.
    Yes I think that's them alright.

Gotcha. "Taproom" would have me think the beer is brewed onsite, but eh. I'll see if we can get a table when we visit as outdoor dining should be back for then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Gotcha. "Taproom" would have me think the beer is brewed onsite, but eh. I'll see if we can get a table when we visit as outdoor dining should be back for then.
    It's a decent spot in fairness. The in laws were there last summer iirc, and it was all outside pods and sheds. But it was predominantly outdoor dining even when I was there in previous years.

The Stout, Red and Golden were all that were available when I was last there though - no sign of any specials.

Advertisement