Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Picked up these four Fraugruber beers in my local off license at the weekend. Not sure if they were mispriced but all 5.95, even the DIPA. Looking at them on Untappd seems like they are all similar eggy looking NEIPAs. Basically like what Fuerst Wiacek released in Ireland a few months back, they were nice but all samey. Must be a German craft brewer thing that this is the only style the export

• Registered Users Posts: 20 l14masasddadsg

Picked up these four Fraugruber beers in my local off license at the weekend. Not sure if they were mispriced but all 5.95, even the DIPA. Looking at them on Untappd seems like they are all similar eggy looking NEIPAs. Basically like what Fuerst Wiacek released in Ireland a few months back, they were nice but all samey. Must be a German craft brewer thing that this is the only style the export

One's called Illusion of Choice! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭adam240610

Had the white hag puca pineapple in the sun today, tasted like I bit into a lemony pineapple, definitely the right day for that one

• Registered Users Posts: 43,888 ✭✭✭✭Basq

adam240610 wrote: »
    Had the white hag puca pineapple in the sun today, tasted like I bit into a lemony pineapple, definitely the right day for that one
    lemon.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

It's been years since I had any Trouble Brewing, even though they were a stalwart of the early Irish craft beer days. I'm not sure that a beer like Ór would fare too well by current standards, although I retain a soft spot for Dark Arts, I'd almost be afraid to try it again in case it doesn't match what I remember.

Anyway, had a can of Ambush last night and thought it was very good - very clean, good body, nice head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

It's been years since I had any Trouble Brewing, even though they were a stalwart of the early Irish craft beer days. I'm not sure that a beer like Ór would fare too well by current standards, although I retain a soft spot for Dark Arts, I'd almost be afraid to try it again in case it doesn't match what I remember.

Anyway, had a can of Ambush last night and thought it was very good - very clean, good body, nice head.
    Ambush is definetly one of the best out there IMO. Very refreshing, and not overpowering the way a lot of them are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Ambush is definetly one of the best out there IMO. Very refreshing, and not overpowering the way a lot of them are now.
    Sabotage and Graffiti still stand up for me, especially when 2.50!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭flended12

Not a fan of sours, but was gladly looking forward to the lemon puca.

I can confirm, I am still not a fan of sours.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

flended12 wrote: »
    Not a fan of sours, but was gladly looking forward to the lemon puca.

I can confirm, I am still not a fan of sours.

Tried the Puca's and even tried Passion Pool on the back of the buzz here.
    I thought Passion Pool might have been the one to sway me but alas no.

I can also confirm that I am still not a fan of these Sours/Gose etc, but the search will continue!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

DrZeuss wrote: »

I can also confirm that I am still not a fan of these Sours/Gose etc, but the search will continue!

Have always disliked the Sours - I thought I would enjoy one of the Puca's but no joy. Someone gave me a Lough Gill Gose last week. Wasnt even going to open it but did and funnily enough I enjoyed it. Doesnt seem to be as sweet as the other Sours i have tried

• Advertisement

The two latest Wicklow wolf sours are good, and I’m not normally a big fan of the style.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,997 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The two latest Wicklow wolf sours are good, and I’m not normally a big fan of the style.

The Takes two to Mango collaboration was really good.
    I can see it as a good gateway fruited sour - in that it is only moderately sour and moderately fruited and not terribly sweet. You could actually taste the beer.

I could probably drink sours 80% of the time!

I wasn't overly impressed with the Whiplash mango and lime sour. It was fine but not worth the premium price, imho

This could be it, this could be the one!
    Shall pop one on an order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

This could be it, this could be the one!
    Shall pop one on an order.

Its great imo, and i've generally gone off sours, didn't actually realize it was one when I ordered

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Knightofcydonia

I can see it as a good gateway fruited sour - in that it is only moderately sour and moderately fruited and not terribly sweet. You could actually taste the beer.

I could probably drink sours 80% of the time!

I wasn't overly impressed with the Whiplash mango and lime sour. It was fine but not worth the premium price, imho

With you on the whiplash sour. I love sours but disappointed with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

With you on the whiplash sour. I love sours but disappointed with this one.

These are sad reports. Just got a Wit Bier report earlier of "Meh", so may not bother with either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

White Hag hoping to run Hagstravaganza this year.

https://twitter.com/TheWhiteHag/status/1398292880695963649

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I was in the off license yesterday and picked up the Whiplash Sour, Fruit Salad Days Mango and Lime as well as their Prisoner of Love (Cascadian Pale). Given the feedback on some of their recent offerings I only went with one of each though.

I also have 2 each of the Let It Bleed (Witbeer), Covered in Dust (West Coast IPA) and Midnight Dipper (Pale Ale) that I ordered last week but only getting around to now.

Say what you want that is some pretty impressive beer naming going on as well as a pretty diverse range of styles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

irish_goat wrote: »
    White Hag hoping to run Hagstravaganza this year.

https://twitter.com/TheWhiteHag/status/1398292880695963649

I know not everyone was happy with the selection but I really liked the boxtravaganza last year. Would definitely go for it again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Dot Brewery rolling out a few new beers. Really liked the Imperial Sherry Milk Stout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I know not everyone was happy with the selection but I really liked the boxtravaganza last year. Would definitely go for it again

I thought it was a cracking event and selection. Would do again. Would prefer to be on site though.

Completed the questionnaire anyway

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

adrian522 wrote: »

Say what you want that is some pretty impressive beer naming going on as well as a pretty diverse range of styles.

Midnight Dipper was such a good name that Polly's over in Wales put out an IPA the same week with the same name :pac: At least we were all able to laugh about it!

I'm on Station to Station myself this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Orbit Tzatsiki Sour is the nicest one I have tried from a modern brewery and one of my favorite beers

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Orbit Tzatsiki Sour is the nicest one I have tried from a modern brewery and one of my favorite beers

It sounds like something I really might not like....
    A mildly tart sour beer emulating the flavours of the classic Greek yoghurt dip

Which means I must try it....is this available anywhere in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It sounds like something I really might not like....

Which means I must try it....is this available anywhere in Ireland?

Don't remember it being all that easy to get in London and I lived 10 mins from the brewery

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I liked a good few of the beers, just thought there was very little variety. Think it was mainly IPAs with a few sours if I remember rightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Welp, I just smashed my Galway Bay Brewery glass from the 200 Fathoms box set. Knocked it over with our water filter and straight into the sink.

It was an incredibly thin glass, and every time I went to wash the thing it felt like it would smash in my hand.

Please no more flimsy glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭toffeeshel

Try Green Zebra from Founders. Really refreshing and I think that I’m addicted

• Registered Users Posts: 16,997 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

toffeeshel wrote: »
    Try Green Zebra from Founders. Really refreshing and I think that I’m addicted

I generally find Founder's "sours" to be very sweet and not very sour at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭toffeeshel

I generally find Founder's "sours" to be very sweet and not very sour at all.

I think that it’s described as a Gose. Either way I’m liking it and have some cooling in anticipation of some garden drinking tomorrow hopefully

Advertisement