Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I ordered some Rye River beers from Craft Central.ie, not being familiar with the brewery (more being taken by the idea of their Belgian stout!).

I looked them up and it seems as if the same brewery produces McGargles brand stuff? And have I read elsewhere they produce Lidl/Aldi's own brand craft beer. Is that correct?

Yes, all true.
    Very consistent brewery.
    I'm sure you'll be very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

I ordered some Rye River beers from Craft Central.ie, not being familiar with the brewery (more being taken by the idea of their Belgian stout!).

I looked them up and it seems as if the same brewery produces McGargles brand stuff? And have I read elsewhere they produce Lidl/Aldi's own brand craft beer. Is that correct?

Yes, McGarle's and The Crafty Beer Co. or whatever it's called are both made by Rye River Brewing. I'm not sure why Rye River and McGargle's are separate/different brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Huh, that's a really interesting set up. tbh I would pass over McGargle's stuff (have not had it, but wouldn't be on the top of my list to seek out for whatever reason) but I really liked the sound of some of the Rye River stuff (also threw in one of the New England IPAs). Even the branding & cans on Rye River are much more attractive. Interesting strategic choices!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    Yes, McGarle's and The Crafty Beer Co. or whatever it's called are both made by Rye River Brewing.
    Likewise the Grafters beers in Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

Ordered Kinsale Pale Ale direct from Blacks Brewery website on Tuesday night
    Delivered this morning, very quick turn around. Free bottle of hand sanitizer too...

• Advertisement

arrived earlier - crisis averted

I wish all these places wouldn’t brand the box as beer. There has to be a few going to couriers houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

I wish all these places wouldn’t brand the box as beer. There has to be a few going to couriers houses.

Agree re branding. Just as we’re going into lock down I put in order delivered to work. Memo sent around due to Covid reception locked/ essential deliveries only and obviously one of the first deliveries to arrive was a white hag box for me :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

arrived earlier - crisis averted

Great tack from the lads. Sold out of the good stuff now. :(

Craft Central.ie order just in the order - ordered around this time yesterday. Lovely stuff for the weekend!

Huh, that's a really interesting set up. tbh I would pass over McGargle's stuff (have not had it, but wouldn't be on the top of my list to seek out for whatever reason) but I really liked the sound of some of the Rye River stuff (also threw in one of the New England IPAs). Even the branding & cans on Rye River are much more attractive. Interesting strategic choices!

There's nothing attractive about McGargle's branding or presentation but I think Big Banging IPA is one of the most consistent, decent quality, widely available Irish IPAs out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

There's nothing attractive about McGargle's branding or presentation but I think Big Banging IPA is one of the most consistent, decent quality, widely available Irish IPAs out there.

100% agree plus you can get it in Lidl and Aldi.

Craft Central.ie order just in the order - ordered around this time yesterday. Lovely stuff for the weekend!

I ordered from them on Saturday and it was collected by the courier Monday. Still no sign of DPD getting the finder out, though, it's been listed as "travelling through the DPD network" since Monday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

O'Haras are worth a look too, if you're buying for a few people. They are doing 10% off and free delivery over €90 (plus they threw in a free t-shirt into my order, so top marks from me!), delivered 2 days after ordering.

I picked up 12 of their core range (mixed), 12 Notorious Reds, and a mixed case of their Falling Apple ciders, for approx €2.62/bottle (500ml) delivered. I know ordinarily you can pick up a number of their range in 4 for €10, but it's a good price delivered to your door. They are also selling other brands (Metalman, Firestone, Wild Beer co., Oskar Blues, 12 Acres, etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

9 White deer now doing a case of kolsch for €20 with orders for 2 +cases. Ordered from them earlier in the week and got my beer within 48 hours. Great bunch of lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I hadn't bothered to check out CraftCentral until I read your post.

I had no idea they were Stephen Street News! All this time I have been lamenting the loss of my wanders around that Aladdin's Cave!

The basket is quite full now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I used to buy them now and again, but a couple of years ago they put out boxes of 2-3 bottles of each of their beers at a reduced price. It was all completely over-gassed and only good for going down the sink, complete waste of money. It put me off them ever since.

I ordered from them on Saturday and it was collected by the courier Monday. Still no sign of DPD getting the finder out, though, it's been listed as "travelling through the DPD network" since Monday evening.

Craft Central shared on their Instagram that one of the Dublin DPD hubs is under extreme pressure. Could be related.

Yeah, I've no issue with Craft Central themselves, its DPD who are acting the maggot. If people are left waiting a week or more for deliveries they should be in danger of losing the contract. I specifically won't buy from Amazon retailers who use certain courier companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,880 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Bah.. keep missing out on the Black's Mini Kegs! :(

The more I have been shopping around craft beer, the more attention I'm paying to branding. Maybe a discussion for its own thread but some breweries have great branding / can art (e.g. Galway Bay, Rye River, Lervig...) whereas others lack in this department (McGargles, Blacks of Kinsale...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

The more I have been shopping around craft beer, the more attention I'm paying to branding. Maybe a discussion for its own thread but some breweries have great branding / can art (e.g. Galway Bay, Rye River, Lervig...) whereas others lack in this department (McGargles, Blacks of Kinsale...)

Yeah some of them look great and some not so much.

Ones I particularly like include Rascals and Whiplash. The Kinnegar cans are fun too.

Rascals were doing competitions for people who had bought slabs to win a slab branded with your name on it which is a great marketing idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭raxy

It's whats in the can/bottle thats important to me. Sure a nice can bottle looks good but it doesn't improove the quality of beer.
    You can't really compare McGargles to Galway Bay either imo, McGargles is a cheaper brand, usually 4 for 10 or €3 for Big bangin for 500mL bottles. Galway Bay is ~ €3 for a 330mL can.
    I'm looking forwards to trying out Galway Bay Full sail tonight though, havent tried it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Ryath

Yeah, I've no issue with Craft Central themselves, its DPD who are acting the maggot. If people are left waiting a week or more for deliveries they should be in danger of losing the contract. I specifically won't buy from Amazon retailers who use certain courier companies.

I ordered Friday from craft central and it came Tuesday. The courier companies are under severe pressure with the volumes they are dealing with. I'm friends with someone who works for one of the bigger ones. They are dealing with daily volumes that are exceeding Black Friday and Cyber Monday and this is going on over a month now. I'm not going to be complaining if a package takes a few extra days as long as it does turn up.

I'm with you on certain company's though I'll avoid Fastway unless I've no other choice. You often can't see what courier is being used though.

SozBbz wrote: »
    Yeah some of them look great and some not so much.

Ones I particularly like include Rascals and Whiplash. The Kinnegar cans are fun too.

Rascals were doing competitions for people who had bought slabs to win a slab branded with your name on it which is a great marketing idea.

The Whiplash ones have great art on them, but when I take a photo of the beer I either get the name in or the can art but not both, given the way they are printed. And, that Rascals idea is brilliant!
    raxy wrote: »
    It's whats in the can/bottle thats important to me. Sure a nice can bottle looks good but it doesn't improove the quality of beer.
    You can't really compare McGargles to Galway Bay either imo, McGargles is a cheaper brand, usually 4 for 10 or €3 for Big bangin for 500mL bottles. Galway Bay is ~ €3 for a 330mL can.
    I'm looking forwards to trying out Galway Bay Full sail tonight though, havent tried it before.

Oh, I agree. It's just the branding that catches my attention first. If I'm deciding between McGargle's or Galway Bay, I'm probably going to try Galway Bay first because they look nicer and therefore appeal to me. Am sure there's a big discourse around behavioural economics & marketing in there!

You can't really compare McGargles to Galway Bay either imo, McGargles is a cheaper brand

I most certainly can. I've had some very poor bottles of GBB beers over the years.

Imo, Banging IPA is as good as any IPA GBB have produced.

Don't mistake price for quality.

I'm not knocking Galway Bay - they're a fine brewery, I just don't see the problem comparing them with Rye River, in terms of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Aglomerado wrote: »
    9 White deer now doing a case of kolsch for €20 with orders for 2 +cases. Ordered from them earlier in the week and got my beer within 48 hours. Great bunch of lads!

Put in an order from 9 white deer and beercloud.ie (st mels & western herd) on weds evening. both arrived today within half an hour of each other. Well chuffed.Great turnaround from both websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Enjoy the Full Sail. It's delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Full Sail is my go to at the moment, 4 cans for a tenner in Fresh or O' Briens among other places, gorgeous stuff. I do miss the Black Sheep though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Basq wrote: »
    Bah.. keep missing out on the Black's Mini Kegs! :(

Noticed they have 3 available (Edit: when you click on them they say sold out too) at this very moment, are they much different than cans though, seems a bit gimmickey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Kinnegar and metalman have been added to beercloud.ie

Advertisement