Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I like their Punk IPA - what would be a similar beer from a more local brewer? I do try different beers but maybe not as many as others. Prefer to give the smaller setups a bit of business these days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

GBX wrote: »
    I like their Punk IPA - what would be a similar beer from a more local brewer? I do try different beers but maybe not as many as others. Prefer to give the smaller setups a bit of business these days.
    It's a fair bit lighter but I'd put White Hag's Little Fawn in a similar bracket, tastewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

GBX wrote: »

As core beers goes they probably have the best range of any brewer I can think of. Kinnegar Scraggy Bay would be the first Irish beer that comes to mind as a good alternative. Maybe Trouble Brewing Ambush as well but not really the same style

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Punk is brewed with only pale malt and a shedload of hops. There's not many Irish IPAs that fall into that exact style. Like TBN, my first thought was Little Fawn. It's also a beer I find is fantastic when fresh and on draught but the cans and bottles are a bit lacklustre.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Thanks for the suggestions - i'll give them all a try anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

irish_goat wrote: »
    and Rye River are (I believe) partly owned by the State now.

Looks as if Bluebay sold that to Dunport, who through two different funds seem to have ~83% of the shares in the very oddly named company (DP Financial Limited) that appears to be the current brewery company (the old one was dissolved). Ownership structure is complex with multiple share classes.

https://bizplus.ie/dunport-capital-takes-on-rye-river-loan/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

What have actually done?

To clarify - you mean this time?

To clarify - you mean this time?

This time, last time, next time, whatever. Specifically I mean.

This time, last time, next time, whatever. Specifically I mean.

The most recent thing I'd heard about them, apart from sacking their Irish staff, was as Twee mentioned, their American subsidiary sacking LGBT staff because they "didn't fit the culture."

The most recent thing I'd heard about them, apart from sacking their Irish staff, was as Twee mentioned, their American subsidiary sacking LGBT staff because they "didn't fit the culture."

The latter definitely is something and I'd hope that person has brought a case, but the staff here just fits under 'company X are ****ers and only look after their own interests'. That's how companies work and it happens the world over in all industries, and unless that was illegal then I don't see how they're answerable for it.

I don't doubt that there could well be some illegal and highly immoral stuff went on there, it's a lot of names saying the same thing after all, but the statement didn't really help by being so vague. Even calling out that they sometimes aren't completely honest when marketing (shock horror) makes it seem like they're padding it out and has a detrimental effect on the message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

The latter definitely is something and I'd hope that person has brought a case, but the staff here just fits under 'company X are ****ers and only look after their own interests'. That's how companies work and it happens the world over in all industries, and unless that was illegal then I don't see how they're answerable for it.

I don't doubt that there could well be some illegal and highly immoral stuff went on there, it's a lot of names saying the same thing after all, but the statement didn't really help by being so vague. Even calling out that they sometimes aren't completely honest when marketing (shock horror) makes it seem like they're padding it out and has a detrimental effect on the message.

Agreed it’s weak stuff , but of a Facebook hun drama tinge to it
    Let’s see what the specifics are ( not gonna change anything for me - not a fan of their beer and the marketing is cringe)

TXPTGR1 wrote: »
    Agreed it’s weak stuff , but of a Facebook hun drama tinge to it
    Let’s see what the specifics are ( not gonna change anything for me - not a fan of their beer and the marketing is cringe)

Agreed, absolutely. "We're Punk. As. ****! We're rebels, we are! Would you like to see our share prospectus? Recruit a friend and you'll receive extra benefits! PUNK! AS! ****!"

The cack handed initial reply and the astroturf attempt to encourage staff to sign a rebuttal written by the HR department has lead to this hitting global conventional media - big papers and news services. And it really falls outside the "we're sticking it to the man" twist that all their usual stuff does.

For the posters above looking for details of exactly what happened, there's details of one incident from one of the ex-employees here.

You can spare us the "that's no big deal" reply, should anyone be so minded as to write one.

BeerNut wrote: »
    For the posters above looking for details of exactly what happened, there's details of one incident from one of the ex-employees here.

You can spare us the "that's no big deal" reply, should anyone be so minded as to write one.

As if anyone is going to think that's no big deal, there's no need to try steer everyone.

A friend has just posted a sandwich board from outside one of their London pubs. Slogan: "We are a community owned business."

I guess, then, so is Apple, HSBC, Diageo, Starbucks and every other PLC listed on a stock exchange? :rolleyes:

They're not a listed PLC - yet - but there's a substantial private equity firm ownership.

The intent was to be listed soon, which generally isn't possible if there's a controversy going on - the stock exchanges have rules about quiet periods.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I feel like if this was an attempt to take down seniors in Brewdog then it's probably not going to be enough. If it's light on detail because of a fear of litigation I guess I can understand that, but it does read a bit vague. I understand Brewdog sounds like not a very nice place to work, not really very surprising.

The same people who hated Brewdog before still hate them, but has anyone said they're no longer going to stock their stuff or anything?

Jim Murray got chucked under the bus for less, his product was withdrawn from various retailers without them even really looking at it too hard, and was more blameless (in my opinion). But I suppose Brewdog has the virtue of being bigger and profitable for a lot more people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Sour Rita.... bought it because...well...I dated a girl called Rita..and feck, did she end up sour at me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Been working my way through the Hope birthday box, haven't had most of their core range in a while and I forgot how solid they are. The overnight oats ipa re-release was also really good, never tried it when it was originally released and I can see why it was voted to be brewed again for the birthday box. I've yet to try the Gorse Tripel and Stroopwafel Imperial Stout, these aren't usually my style but I'll give them a shot this week

• Advertisement

irish_goat wrote: »
    White Gypsy appear to be rebranding. Pretty sure I heard someone say they were dropping the word "gypsy". PC gone mad, traditional values etc etc...I never liked the name anyway.

https://twitter.com/whitegypsy/status/1374378552498421771
    This is the first reference I've seen to the new name: "Whitefield Brewery".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Been working my way through the Hope birthday box, haven't had most of their core range in a while and I forgot how solid they are. The overnight oats ipa re-release was also really good, never tried it when it was originally released and I can see why it was voted to be brewed again for the birthday box. I've yet to try the Gorse Tripel and Stroopwafel Imperial Stout, these aren't usually my style but I'll give them a shot this week

The Hop-On and Pass If You Can are two lovely ones

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    The Hop-On and Pass If You Can are two lovely ones

Always loved a few pints of Hop On in Dublin Airport. It was almost a ritual. One day again!

Always loved a few pints of Hop On in Dublin Airport. It was almost a ritual. One day again!

Where served it?

Where served it?
    Marqette in T1, though badged as "Session IPA" instead of Hop-On for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

feylya wrote: »
    A new one for that list

Winner of BrewDog’s ‘solid gold’ beer can finds prize is made largely of brass

Scottish brewery claims cans are worth £15,000 each but certificate says they are gold plated

Craig, who said he had hoped to fund his wedding by selling the gold, discovered the can was only plated with the precious metal after asking for a certificate from BrewDog.

“Sales of Punk presumably went through the roof,” said Craig.

“You saw people claiming that that they’d ordered 20 cases to stock up, all on the basis of it being a ‘solid gold’ can.

“I can’t imagine a similar frenzy for a novelty can, which is what it ended up being.”
    Brewdog said it stood by the £15,000 value placed on the cans, 50 of which have been made.

It said the valuation was “reasonable based on multiple factors – including the price we paid for its manufacture, the constituent metal and quality of the final product, the standard retail markup and the rarity and uniqueness of the cans.”

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jun/28/winner-of-brewdogs-solid-gold-beer-can-finds-prize-is-made-mostly-of-brass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Brass neck on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There was a time when I really likes their disruptive marketing and carry on. I also really rated their beers.

Now the make me sigh.

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Brass neck on them!

But only a brass-plated neck, not solid brass!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

A bit of a madcap scheme from Craig, it must be said... I can imagine how that chat with his missus went. The spare room is probably floor ceiling to floor in Punk IPA that he "had" to buy to find the can, they're been pouring it over their cornflakes in an effort to get rid of it, and now it transpires it was all for naught.

But:-
    Brewdog said it stood by the £15,000 value placed on the cans, 50 of which have been made.

It said the valuation was “reasonable based on multiple factors – including the price we paid for its manufacture, the constituent metal and quality of the final product, the standard retail markup and the rarity and uniqueness of the cans.”

But the company said it could not guarantee their value on the open market and declined to answer whether it would buy the can back for £15,000 minus costs.

Surely if they were still worth anything close to 15k then some enterprising chap in Brewdog would be quick to offer poor Craig a lowball price of a 'mere' 10k and then flip the can for closer to 15k... :D:pac:

Advertisement