Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,886 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Big change in the Boxstravaganza box this year.. seemed to be mostly stouts and sours last year, but this year is very IPA / DIPA heavy. Not complaining however as not a sour fan (though the Mojito Sour does sound intriguing) and very picky on stouts and completely gone off sweet sugary stouts.

The Kernel Table beer is a nice one to start on I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'd tickets to go to Ballymote today but circumstances meant I couldn't go. Emailed Bob and they're giving me store credit for the tickets. I had asked about selling them on but they wanted to be sure those attending adhered to the guidelines.

I'm not fully vaxxed yet (currently in the aviva about to get my 2nd) and wasn't paying 130 for a PCR test.

Got the box yesterday though, looks interesting to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I very much suspect I'm the youngest here by a year or two, due to the vaccine requirement. Obviously there's plenty of 40+ at these type of events anyway but there seems to be absolutely nobody younger!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭flended12

How did Hagstravaganza go for those who ended up in Ballymote?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I had a great time. It was well organised with the marquee and a fantastic buzz even though there was only ~150 people. People were assigned tables in the marquee and menu samples came in flights but there was a bar and tap room to get extra servings from (so many samples came that it wasn't an issue!). My only gripe was that it wasn't obvious where the merchandise was for sale and what was available so I missed out on buying stuff that some of the breweries had sent.

• Advertisement

Most normal week I've had in 18 months - went to a match, went to pubs, went to a beer festival. I'm still not sure I've quite recovered...

Got a lift after in to Sligo with the mate of two of the lads at my assigned table who happened to be local (and not attending, hence sober) a bit before it ended, had one pint in the Swagman and taxied to the hotel so got to bed at a reasonable time, but I decide to drink the free wine in the hotel room which was a Bad Idea.

The taproom area was inside with a few well spaced out tables; the bulk of the crowd was in the tent with two and a bit open sides so loads of ventilation. DJ in a far corner as was allowed post-Zappone rules change. 15 beers on the tasting menu brought to you (but you could get more of most of them afterwards if the kegs hadn't run out) in 150ml; ~8 White Hag beers available in 330ml measures whenever you wanted. Fresh dishwashed glasses each time to avoid any cross-contamination problems.

There was a suggestion there'd be multiple food options but in the end it was just Tosta - but their food was good.

The indoor area that was used in the past is being eaten away by expansion to the brewery so I expect it will be all in tents next year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Sounds great to be honest, might try and make it next year.

I am double jabbed and can drink indoors I guess but I'm so out of the habit I haven't bothered doing it yet. I went up to Harry Byrne's the other day and had an outdoor pizza and a couple of pints*, really enjoyed it. To be honest, as long as the weather holds I'd still sooner be outside at the moment. There seemed to have been a noticeable shift indoors by the rest of the patrons though.

*Hope session ale, €6 a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I can't see anything on WH website about it. Was it email only invite for tickets?

At one stage it was just Clann members (WH beer club) being notified. I actually left Clann during the year, but I still got the email.

Clann members and people who had gone before or bought Boxtravaganza last year were the initial sales groups and I'm not sure it went beyond that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,819 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It did, because I've only ever bought one box of beer (so far) directly from WH but still got the email. I had zero chance of being able to go so didn't apply 😕

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Are mini kegs becoming a thing of the past? I was looking for a couple but the range and availability is really low compared to what it used to be.

They were a trendy thing last summer, they started tailing off nearly immediately after that.

That they're generally a bit crap to use, you really do need people over to use one (which would have been a tad unacceptable to market for during lockdowns) and increased on-sales demand this year reducing available capacity have probably both reduced the number being sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,819 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They have a wife acceptance factor of zero.

"You don't mind if I dismantle half the shelves in the fridge so I can fit this yoke in, do you? BTW I'll be under a bit of pressure to get it all drunk before it goes flat. Oh and it costs up to twice as much as just buying individual cans. What's not to like?"

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I only had a couple but I liked them. Sounds like they're gone though so cans it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

To Ol only went and did it - not too long ago did they have a quad IPA out, they've one upped it to a quintuple [milkshake] IPA. €13.75, 15% ABV.

https://craftcentral.ie/collections/frontpage/products/to-ol-penta-quintuple-milkshake-ipa-orange-pineapple-440ml-can-15-abv?variant=39420908863523

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's pretty easy when the terms don't actually mean anything. Chances of failure = 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Macy0161

We were in Athlone for a few days, so had booked Dead Centre for Sunday evening. Really top notch food (and service) as well as the beer. Great to sample their core beers on draft finally, and try a few of the current specials. Gentle Chaos the winner for me! The missus is also a decent beer convert, but even the teens were impressed with the food enough we'd have been back the Monday, if it had been open*.

*ended up in Sean's on the Monday evening, who had Seeking Sunshine on tap. Second hotel of the summer, and their two for two for not even having a pretend craft available either on tap or bottle/ can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Only went and did what? Brewed a beer somewhat stronger than your average Belgian beer, then literally added orange and pineapple juice? 😐️

I was just commenting on how they did a quad not too long ago. When I tried it and checked it in on Untappd, I commented wondering when someone will do a quintuple.

Also I don't think 15% is slightly stronger than your average Belgian. In my head the average is no more than 10%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Has there been much of interest pouring in Urban Brewing recently? Will be in the big schmoke tomorrow so was thinking of calling in.

They've been keeping things ticking over to a certain extent but I haven't been in since the Before Times. Across the way, BrewDog seems to have been busy with its brewkit lately.

Nothing from the brewkit listed on their Untappd menu though? https://untappd.com/v/brewdog-outpost-dublin/9595437

I've been a bit bored with BrewDog bars recently, the lineup of BrewDog beers has been near identical in each one. Lervig Tasty Juice could tempt me in though...

Possibly more useful to look at the brewery's check-ins: https://untappd.com/BrewDogOutpostDublin. Back Order stout and Lighten Up pale ale seem to be the two newest.

In general, it's not a good time for beer ticking expeditions to the on-trade. I'm guessing the guest beer supply lines aren't running yet, even to reliable venues like the Porterhouses and Galway Bays. You might know more about that than me though 😉

Hopfully have launched a Kickstarter to raise €15k.

The page goes on to detail their planned goals including upgrading branding and aiming towards international expansion.

Kickstarter doesn't allow them to promise alcohol, but they can promise an "extra item" that is alcohol.

You need to commit to a contribution of €120 minimum before you get into the beer range.

I'm not out in pubs too often these days, but I just want to lament that I've started to notice a phenomenon that I read about on here for the past few months.

There are pubs that a few years back would have had 3-4 craft beer taps (Maybe just things like Galway Hooker) and now when I revisit them the taps might or might not be there, but they're rarely running. I was in Ryan's on Parkgate Street last week, which would have had a few craft options in years past, and they had a few defunct Bru taps, a defunct Galway Hooker tap and the best option they still had was O'Hara's Pale Ale (Which I'm not really a fan of, frankly).

I've noticed this more and more, seems like as people have said on here, there has been a concerted effort by the bigger boys to push out newcomers?

Multiple issues

1: The big boys releasing extra product lines to suck up lines. Rockshore/Rockshore Light/Rockshore Cider/Islands Edge (often multiple taps)/two types of Orchard Theives/two types of Cute Hoor/Outcider all come to mind from the past few years.

2: Reduced overall footfall in pubs without much/any outdoor due to distancing rules means a lot of places have less taps on. I've seen pubs where half the Diageo and Heineken taps are off even; and proper craft bars with bugger all guest product.

3: There may be some darker arts going on in terms of free kegs to take a competitor out but good luck getting anyone to admit to it.

• Advertisement

Some places have just been a little slow to reactivate craft beer lines as well. I think there was a little trepidation by the pubs, not knowing if they would be busy etc. That seems to be easing now so we should see more craft beer taps emerging again.

Advertisement