Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,201 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

List of off licences stocking White Gypsy here I didn't see it posted and none of the online places seem to have it in stock.
    https://whitegypsy.ie/stockists/

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

mike_cork wrote: »
    Kinnegar and metalman have been added to beercloud.ie

And they have Rustbucket, praise [whatever]!

The Counter in LK are sound and all, but they didn't have Rustbucket in stock.

Hope also seem to be new-ish there; they're not on the menu but are on the scroller on the front page.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

L1011 wrote: »
    And they have Rustbucket, praise [whatever]!

The Counter in LK are sound and all, but they didn't have Rustbucket in stock.

Hope also seem to be new-ish there; they're not on the menu but are on the scroller on the front page.

Wish Hope would sell direct to the public like White Hag etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I most certainly can. I've had some very poor bottles of GBB beers over the years.

Imo, Banging IPA is as good as any IPA GBB have produced.

Don't mistake price for quality.

I'm not knocking Galway Bay - they're a fine brewery, I just don't see the problem comparing them with Rye River, in terms of quality.

I first had Big Bangin IPA at the Alltech craft beer festival a few years back. Tasty stuff but jesus it packs a punch

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

McGargles DIPA, along with Thumper, is probably one of the best DIPA's on the Irish market in my opinion..

.. but all of the other McGargle's are muck.

Again, my opinion..

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »
    McGargles DIPA, along with Thumper, is probably one of the best DIPA's on the Irish market in my opinion..

.. but all of the other McGargle's are muck.

Again, my opinion..

The session IPA (Darraghs) is generally consistent (I've had one awful batch) and of a high quality.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Dec's Brown, while far too rare, is the best McGargle's beer and possibly the best Irish brown ale. I've put Sean's Export Stout in a blind tasting with Leann Folláin and found it different but just as good. Worth trying for anyone brave enough to put their McGargle's prejudices to a real test.

The McGargles export stout is fantastic, I don't care for any of their other stuff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

There Grafters IPA in Dunnes Stores is very good. The session IPA in alot of pubs is a decent beer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

BeerNut wrote: »
    Dec's Brown, while far too rare, is the best McGargle's beer and possibly the best Irish brown ale. I've put Sean's Export Stout in a blind tasting with Leann Folláin and found it different but just as good. Worth trying for anyone brave enough to put their McGargle's prejudices to a real test.

I think the McGargles one. Has a bit more depth of flavour. Although FES still beats them all.

The Lidl American brown is better than the Toothless one imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Full Sail is my go to at the moment, 4 cans for a tenner in Fresh or O' Briens among other places, gorgeous stuff. I do miss the Black Sheep though. :(

You've just reminded me that I have another can of that from my last Martin's order!

YUSS!

---

Though it might have to wait til tomorrow as I'm sipping my way through some Oude Kriek Boon at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

List of off licences stocking White Gypsy here I didn't see it posted and none of the online places seem to have it in stock.
    https://whitegypsy.ie/stockists/

Martin's have their beers online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

n97 mini wrote: »
    I think the McGargles one. Has a bit more depth of flavour. Although FES still beats them all.

The Lidl American brown is better than the Toothless one imho.

I like that American brown, but it's more like a brown IPA really (is that a thing) where as Dec's is all toffee and chocolate, pure decadence. My local super valu had it fairly regularly for the guts of a year there, but it seems to have disappeared into the abyss again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mike_cork

First time trying the St mels selection at the weekend. Very nice stuff

Their packaging has always put me off. A good few times I’ve picked it up in Super Valu and put it back to pick up WW or Rascals, etc.

Their packaging has always put me off. A good few times I’ve picked it up in Super Valu and put it back to pick up WW or Rascals, etc.

Yeah not a fan of the packaging myself,but with the lockdown decided to try some new beers (and support irish breweries!).Living in cork can't say i've ever seen seen them for sale down here.

A random question for people here- Any recommendation for a good irish wheat beer? I love weihenstephaner but obivously with irish breweries being under pressure trying to support my own

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Hope have a wheat beer, Grunt. Not my thing, but was at a tasting in the brewery a couple of months ago and it went down well with the others there. I saw on Martin's website the other day that White Gypsy have a dunkelweiss, but I haven't tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Zaph wrote: »
    Hope have a wheat beer, Grunt. Not my thing, but was at a tasting in the brewery a couple of months ago and it went down well with the others there. I saw on Martin's website the other day that White Gypsy have a dunkelweiss, but I haven't tried it.

Isn't White Gypsy Blonde a wheat beer?
    Not sure if they bottle it, though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

It is a wheat, also isn't bottled.

There's very little Irish wheat beers out there and even less makes it to bottles.

Wicklow Brewery have one though. https://beercloud.ie/product/wicklow-brewery-weiss/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

They do bottle The Banker which is a Weiss

irish_goat wrote: »
    It is a wheat, also isn't bottled.

There's very little Irish wheat beers out there and even less makes it to bottles.

Wicklow Brewery have one though. https://beercloud.ie/product/wicklow-brewery-weiss/

Yes having a tough time trying to find many options. Had a western herd wheat beer at the weekend,will try the wicklow brewery on my next beer shopping spree :cool:

Next Rascals delivery arrived today. The Fastway guy doesn't even wait at the end of the drive anymore, drop ring and go :pac:

It'd be handy if some of them would use DPD or something so I don't just reveal all to the same driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

L1011 wrote: »
    Next Rascals delivery arrived today. The Fastway guy doesn't even wait at the end of the drive anymore, drop ring and go :pac:

It'd be handy if some of them would use DPD or something so I don't just reveal all to the same driver.

craftcentral use dpd i'm sure my local guy thinks i'm some form of raving alco

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

A random question for people here- Any recommendation for a good irish wheat beer? I love weihenstephaner but obivously with irish breweries being under pressure trying to support my own

Western Herd Beewing Company have an excellent Belgian Style Witbier;

http://westernherd.com/our-beer/

PWEI wrote: »
    Western Herd Beewing Company have an excellent Belgian Style Witbier;

http://westernherd.com/our-beer/

Yeah had it at the weekend for the first time. Was v nice. Like a smoother Pauliner if that in anyway makes sense.
    Their mosaic ipa is lovely also.
    Didn't think much of their red ale unfortunately

My Rustbucket box wasn't there with the others from Beercloud although the tape that had attached it is still there :(

Very quick response on getting it chased or replaced. Still have my Hop On box and Black Donkey selection box though so I'll survive but I want my Rustbucket dammit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Yeah had it at the weekend for the first time. Was v nice. Like a smoother Pauliner if that in anyway makes sense.
    Their mosaic ipa is lovely also.
    Didn't think much of their red ale unfortunately

Didn't think much of the red ale myself, their porter was actually nicer than the red ale & I wouldn't be a porter drinker.
    Their Coast Road IPA is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Planning a Bradley's run in the course of today (figured I should shop local for once, plus €5/7 delivery fee saved which can go toward a nice can or bottle...!) Planning on Kinnegar, some Belgian/Trappist bottles & anything else they have nice going. Any recommendations from anyone who has been to Bradleys in the last couple of days?

Advertisement