Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Cans in the pannier bags. However, back a few weeks from France, and got used to 750ml bottles of bière artisanale (for less than the price of a 440ml can here!).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Porterhouse Central's rebranding has been mentioned already but there's a bit more info now. Looks like it's moving away from being a Porterhouse bar and now going to be a craft beer bar. 50 taps must be a record for Ireland by a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I really hope this is open in time for the college football game in August. Father in law is a mega beer head like myself, and coming over for the game and this sounds awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Looks like the taps aren't going to be all beer though!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Homemade cocktails on tap me ar$e.

Looks like the "kind of" craft beer but mostly just trendy pack em in for a party spots. Fair few UK craft chains operating like that. Some still have great beer selections like Barworks co. or the Mother Kelly's chain but they are not enjoyable places to drink.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I guess if you put everything the Porterhouse brews and everything that Grand Cru distributes on draught, you must be heading into the 30s of different beers at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

It's not everyday my interests of craft beer & motorsport intersect, so it's interesting to see Galway Hooker sign on for an expanded sponsorship deal for a young Galway driver, currently competing in British FIA Formula 4.

What I never knew was that Galway Hooker is wound up in the Connacht Hospitality group, which operates a good few bars & hotels in Galway. Haven't been to any of them in some time, but would be curious to see what real estate Galway Hooker taps get.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

Could you not at least wait until it's open before slating it?

Sorry but I don't trust anyone who is advertising handmade cocktails on tap. Why would you have such a thing ?

If we can't discuss it before it opens then people should be posting advertising for it before it opens.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

To be fair, Porterhouse sell a lot of cocktails like strawberry daiquiris, Long Islands and cosmos. It would save them a lot of hassle to just have them on tap. The drink itself won't be any different. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,535 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A substantial number of places sell pre-bottled cocktails from 1661 now also, as making them from scratch when ordered is not quick and fairly labour intensive

Oh I know lots of places do bottled and tapped cocktails but handmade me ar$e as I said. My professional opinion would be that they are a rip off and are more a replacement for alcopops rather than cocktails.

Never had 1661 so maybe they buck the trend but my abiding memory is of managers laughing their ar$e off with the GP thanks to the amount of under pour you get and the price you can charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,381 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Like most craft beers dude, way too expensive.

Cop yourselves on and you are on a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Stick to your Heineken then.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I’ll stick to whatever I feel is good value, dude.

I like to keep it fresh.

It must be very fulfilling to hit up random threads and tell the posters in them how uninterested you are in the activity being discussed in that thread.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

saying what you think is always fulfilling.

No need to be running with the crowd on these issues.

Craft beer is overpriced……………end of.

Cant see what is objectionable about that opinion.

In Ireland, all alcohol is overpriced but the price/quality ratio is at its very worst for mainstream lager swill.

Craft beer ingredients cost a lot more per pint.

But you're not here to learn anything so why am I bothering?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

But you are running with the crowd. The crowd that's happy to drink poor tasting beers, and likes to complain about people who don't. Not everyone wants to buy cheap beer like you do.

"Craft beer is overpriced" is such a weird flex when top notch Rye River beer in Lidl costs less than Guinness or Heineken. I can't believe that anyone with this opinion is actually paying attention to what's on sale and how much it costs.

• Advertisement

I’m afraid you are dead wrong there, my friend, I pay a lot of attention to range and costs.

Next time I’m in Lidl I will check that out.

By the way lads, no need to get defensive about it, just my opinion .

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

Are there other features that would stop you going to a pub with a large choice of craft beer on tap apart from "hand-made" cocktails on tap? Not every pub has to comply with the Breezy1985heitsgebot?

I've enjoyed that Porterhouse before though I'm clearly not the demographic they're going for now or likely in the future - but if they keep pouring Wrasslers I'll probably pop in now and again. I'd wish them well in keeping their business going and be able to overlook cocktails on tap as I'm not likely to be ordering them but they obviously feel that some people will and, as pointed out above, it reduces staff time in making them and given the difficulties many pubs are having in getting staff at all is understandable.

Hmm ….. checked this out today in the local Supermarket today……not Lidl.

Rye River IPA selling at €7.00 per litre

Stella Artois…..an excellent brew selling @ €3.76 a litre.

Any insight on that ?

Some people don't want to drink Stella, and some people do. Just drink whatever you want.

Tesco has Stella at €4.55 and Rye River at €5.70. No that big a difference. I'd rather spend an extra euro and drink something I prefer.

But if you are happy rummaging in the bargain bins for your beer then good for you. Not everyone wants to do the same thing as you, but you don't seem to get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Rye river is cheaper than Heineken in lidl

Allow me to prove you wrong using an example that is completely different from the specific information you gave.

Good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭hynesie08

You'd imagine the core PH line will be doubled up so that's 18 taps straight away, they'll probably keep the Heineken and bulmers tap so you're into 20 there......

Just hope they don't become a Heineken pub with a few PH taps on the end hidden in the darkness.

And make the bitter on cask permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

There was a craft beer maker called Mont,

brewery in Manor Kilbride, Wicklow.

Anyone know if its still operating? I cant find anything online.

Mont/Manor Brewing has been gone a while.

What I do get though is the very sour superior attitude from what I would refer to as the ‘craft beer crowd’.

Why should I ‘support’ any industry which I feel is overpriced?

I most certainly would support local industry provided that support doesn’t involve me being gouged goodo .

• Advertisement

You have a chip on your shoulder, that's ok. No one here really cares.

Advertisement