Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Craft Beers Delivered have a good bottle selection for an online store.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Folks, Brendan wrote, "end of", after asserting that all craft beer is overpriced. Why are people still arguing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Mods is this ok? I'm off the gargle til Christmas, I've taken a fight so have 2 tickets going for Hagstravaganza next weekend. €65 - cost price.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'd love to oblige but the wife would kill me 😯 the Clann boxes have caused enough strife!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I broke the news today to my OH that I'd rather not go and I got chewed 😆

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Has Larkins brewery gone out of business does anyone know?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

They posted about a new beer on Instagram 5 days ago, so I doubt it...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Was in my local Molloys earlier and noticed there was no 8 Degrees product at all, which was a bit odd.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Nope - they're still going. They seem to have relaunched their core range at minimum and have some other stuff going around. Had Maverick, their core NE IPA on draft over the weekend. It was fine, but there is better out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'd say most of the 8 degrees production effort is going into the Jameson Caskmates range which would be significantly more profitable. I wonder if the original 2 guys are even still involved since they were acquired by Irish Distillers in 2018

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,531 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The beer from those casks still gets sold, though.

Full range in my local Centra

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I've seen plenty of Eight Degrees core range around but this is the first year in ages that they haven't done a series of special editions.

Still some 8 Degrees in Bradley's, but stock is dwindling and I don't remember the last time I saw a special edition from them since the barley wine they did whenever that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Are there any particular 8degress beers people would recommend. Any time I tried them I was completely underwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not any more, no.

They were most people's favourite brewery 7 or 8 years ago, now difficult to recommend. Sad, really.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Cam and Scott still definitely involved. Their Instagram page has photos of their core range in them so they must still be getting sold somewhere. Not had any remarkable from them in quite a while either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Their campfire porter was fantastic. Hopefully they release more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Just done a full launch of a "New" core range, but I don't think they're all new beers rather than rebranded. They've been a bit messy with the whole curious society pointless rebrand. I had the session IPA over the weekend, and it was grand as core ranges go (except for calling it "Sesh"!).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Thanks. We haven't been able to get in contact with them for weeks now! Rep disappeared, then emails to their main account started bouncing and main phone number was gone! Very strange!

lol, that's pretty hilarious in a sense.

I know Craft Central are "close" to them - in the sense that their Dog Days IPA (which was actually very good) became a Craft Central exclusive if you're that desperate to track them down. Bierhaus in Cork had their "new" stuff on draft, but Bradley's (also Cork) had nothing new in cans for retail sale.

Weird brewery, by all accounts, it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Lad made a comment around the issue of price over quality...and it was a good one .

Have to admit was a bit of an anti craft drinker some time ago ...but thanks to some good experiences with the craft product I am happy to give them a go.

I like coffee as well and was rather amused at the marketing spin that transformed the humble cuppa into a mystique laden beverage that a lad who ates his dinner in the middle of the day would struggle to understand and of course the basic Americano now costs north of 3.40 in most places.

Just wary that the craft beer segment might be going down the same road...no harm in trying to big up a basic product...but they needs to keep the price in check if Pat is to get on board and not leave it all to the hippsters and urban woodsmen.

Best of luck to all the craft brewers ...happy to support you...chancers, gougers and charlatans will inevitable bite the dust ...those who give a good product at value will do well.

Cheers !

• Registered Users Posts: 68,531 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Craft brewers can't compete with macros on price for two reasons. Scale and cost of ingredients.

Scale allows automation. Automation reduces operating costs. Look at the tiny number of staff proposed for Diageo's new ale and lager brewery in Newbridge - which will presumably be producing huge volumes of Smithwicks, Carlsberg, Rockshore, Hop House 13, Macardles etc.

Specific ingredients that the macro brewers use little or none of are very expensive - patent and/or low yield hops in particular. A very hoppy IPA is going to use huge amounts of expensive hops; and people price compare it to strong lagers which, well, don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Tesco sell a lot of 8 Degress core range

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭JayRoc

.. ..

Managed to get in touch with them finally! They have rebranded apparently! Doesn't explain no phone or email for a couple of months!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

To be fair, there are good deals to be had for the price sensitive craft beer drinker. O'Briens did a 20% off sale on a lot of their craft beer over the weekend. Wicklow Wolf, White Hag, Kinnegar etc 440mls for €2.40. Was in Aldi earlier and they have 6 or 7 Lough Gill 440ml cans for €2 euro a pop. And had two Dot Brew beers for €2.49 and €2.69 each. Like with minimum pricing laws, there really isn't too much of a difference between that and cans of macro lager

• Registered Users Posts: 19,381 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I will always support the crafties over the mainstream beers if I am not being gouged.

However like everything else the retailers and producers always try to con the customer when change occurs.

A good Pilsner in my local Supermarket used to be on sale for €1.15 for .500ml can, now it’s up for €1.30 for a 330ml can.

I know there is minimum price involved but hey………

The boy Parsnipp put it succinctly, don’t big up craft beer into mysterious bevvie where only the ‘insiders’ understand the nuances and then try to inflate prices to accommodate that situation.

A reasonable increase is fine, but don’t try to butt ream Pat with the Barista style crud.

Not acceptable.

That's what they said when they finally got back to us. Made some reference to their phoneline being down for a while!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

All Aldi's? Or a specific one? Love the Lough Gill range

Advertisement