Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I was talking to someone at the weekend who said it's pretty much impossible to find in bars in Dungarvan, so that might explain why 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 25,565 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's only an added tool. The main way they match GP to other pubs is the massive buying power.

I don't know exactly what a Spoons GP is as I never worked for them so it could be a few points lower but he is not making a ton less than other pubs.

Not a clue, though I do know that the Irish branches of JDW dispose of huge amounts of unsold cask beer. Having it available is costing them a fortune, but they seem totally committed to it on principle.

Right so it is different my bad.

It's still wrong to say that the independent pubs charging more is naked profiteering passed on to the customer as Spoons are buying cheaper as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Might not be from the independent pubs, the macro breweries on the other hand...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Depends on the time of year, outside of mid-may to mid-august it's readily available

Still doesn't explain the different taste though

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Better line up in this month's White Hag Clann More box which arrived today:

LITTLE FAWN | Session IPA 330 x2

MAGIC MIST | Juicy Pale Ale 440 x2

BRAN & SCEOLAN | Irish IPA 440 x2

MANANNÁN | Mango IPA 440 x2

BRETT BA BRAN & SCEOLAN | BA Irish IPA 330 x2

West Coast to West Coast | West Coast IPA (Bagby X The White Hag) 330 x1

DARK MATTER | Berlin Stout (Guest brewery: BRLO) 330 x1

Not sure about the mango one but we'll see.

The Dark Matter is presumably the completely unlabelled silver can in my box... Just a batch number and BB date on the bottom!

Big difference from last month's core range, low-ABV dominated box. The one before that wasn't great either.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Don't think I'll be renewing but it's a bit of a pain having boxes of beer arrive on random days now I'm not WFH full time any more. And, let's face it, it's expensive.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Tinter Box

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think something major is going to happen, otherwise, I can see an absolutely huge amount of businesses closing or being forced to close, triggering a serious recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Yeah, there's going to be a lot of businesses seriously affected. My own workplace isn't well insulated and relies on storage heaters, but I do have night rate. And I'm worrying about the winter ahead.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Underdog have finally confirmed they will return.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That's fantastic news. No other bar in Dublin has such an eclectic selection of beers.

I think I was last in Underdog the weekend before the heavy rain which flooded the bar. Was that Jan 2020? Long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

my last pre pandemic pint was the Tuesday of the week shut down happened, I remember having the craic with Paddy, the bar was quiet.

I'm delighted for Paddy, I know he's been trying and trying to get back up and running, and there may be more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭hynesie08

If underdog are running the taps, and the legal eagles food is the standard it was pre COVID, the game just changed.

In fairness, Dudley's on Thomas Street isn't far behind - decent tap selection and the food is grand too.

With the Dice Bar coming back under the auspices of The Big Romance, that part of town is really starting to motor again, and I'm here for it

When it comes to craft beer the hidden Jem's in Dublin really are hidden. I stayed right be Dudley's last month and all I could find round there was that crappy Galway pub.

Only discovered Cassidy's on a very recent trip too after walking past it a million times.

If you like Cassidy's you should also check out P Mac's, similar kind of vibe, it's over near Stephen's Green (pop into Stephen Street News while you are over there, it's the shop where the Craft Central website keeps it's stock).

I also must disagree that these places are "hidden". Thomas Street and Westmoreland Street are hardly small country lanes where nobody goes :D

By "crappy Galway pub" I'm presuming you mean the Beer Market?

• Advertisement

I only found out Dudleys existed at Fidelity, their social media is non-existent, although they have a good reputation.

P Mac's has a nice selection but I'm not gone on the actual pub (it just reminds me of too many pubs in London I didn't like). Much prefer Peters across the road who have a small craft range but a really nice pub.

You mistake the meaning hidden and Steven St. News is the perfect example. You would never ever think that offie is in the back of that newsagent and I only found out because of this thread a few months back. Cassidy's I went in because it looked some bit alternative (grunge/metal vibes) but I was surprised and delighted by the selection.

Ya Beer Market. Absolutely stank of kitchen fat the last time I tried it to the point my friends asked to leave. In general I find their pubs are kips.

Have you tried Beer Temple? It's a more salubrious aesthetic than their other pubs

It's really nice on The Oak side. The Beer Temple side reminded me of Beer Market in all the wrong ways.

Has Sin É started doing a craft range again ?

Last time I was there it was semi lockdown and the barman said they were not back to full ordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Ya Beer Market. Absolutely stank of kitchen fat the last time I tried it to the point my friends asked to leave. In general I find their pubs are kips.

Jaysus... wasn't all that long ago that there were a tiny handful of proper craft pubs in Dublin, and a few more with a couple of craft taps. Now we're praising the ones who sell us "craft" Moretti and Lagunitas and other Heineken rebrands, and slagging the actual Irish, independent brewpubs who don't have a macro in sight. How times have changed. 🙄

Most of us have seen GBB as a necessary evil for a while now....

Sorry am I not allowed like the pubs I like. No need for the snotty attitude.

A pub can have good beer and be badly run or have bad beer and be very well run. I see so much wrong in the Galway Bay pubs and I don't care if they were first on the ground or not.

I go to Peters for the Wickow beers so if that's a Heineken rebrand then so be it.

Wicklow is not a rebadge at all, they have a brewery and pub in Redcross, well worth a visit.

I spent an enjoyable evening supping their beers outside Peter's one evening in August

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I had a few beers in Taco Libre, the GBB taco place / bar at the junction of Capel St and North King Street last Friday.

Incredibly quiet for a Friday night, there were several empty tables and there was a very laid back vibe. Was everyone at Gareth Brooks?

The tacos were absolutely grand... Not as good as the really cutting edge places like Just Chubby's, but at 3 euro each pretty decent.

Beer-wise just 7-8 GBB taps. The selection is not what it was in years past, that's for sure, and it was narrower for outside breweries and cans compared to some other GBB pubs I've been in.

The two bartenders were pleasant but did not give me one completely full pint all night (No, I didn't say anything, it is what it is).

The Friday before that I sat outside The Black Sheep on Capel St. Nice balmy night, good atmosphere and a better beer selection. I was with Brazilian friends and I really like how this part of town has morphed compared to years past.

The pedestrianisation of Capel St is great, have to say. Some really good little restaurants around there now.

I do a lot of work at night and I've been in the city centre for years and years and I also just want to mention that when people talk about anti-social behaviour and street violence these days ... I'm talking about closing time and weekend nights predominantly ... I would say I have seen a slide in recent years in terms of where is higher risk. Years ago I would have said that although you could possibly get into difficulty in Temple Bar and the quays, I would have said it was safer than Capel St, Smithfield and Stoneybatter. Now that has flipped and I would say you're safer in the parts of the north inner city mentioned. Temple Bar, the quays and Dame St are worse than I've ever seen. I wasn't there in the 80s, but it's a bit wilder in terms of the streetlife than it was in the 90s or 00s for sure.

I'm not saying people shouldn't go out and enjoy the night, btw. Just some observations.

• Advertisement

Are there any relatively central taprooms in Dublin ?

(Don't be smart and say James's Gate 😁)

Advertisement