Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your CoVid-19 test queries and observations - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

michellie wrote: »
    Yes, since last Saturday

I’m not being smart here, but surely a test result either way is not going to have an impact on what you do, with the exception of needing hospitalisation. There is no magic medicine that cures this, so testing is largely a waste of time.

Your either positive or negative, but won’t know for 3/4 days and have to behave in the meantime as if your are infected because you have symptoms treating whatever symptoms you have as the doctor ordered.

If your test result comes back negative it means a few possibilities. The virus could have run its course and not shown up, the test could give a false result So you could still infect others and you are still open to being infected from others so you need to continue with whatever isolation you are doing.

I can understand the need for frontline staff being tested, and people that are very ill or have a history of respiratory illness where they deteriorate quickly but because of the lack of a cure, and the delay in getting tested and reviving results - (pretty much a week) Anybody with a mild flu, cough, fever is pretty much wasting their time.

Just for context.
    Wife referred for test last Wednesday in cork, fever, chest pains, difficulty breathing, bad asthma.

Also have 4 yr old with multiple hospitalisation for viral pneumonia, suspected asthmatic on daily inhalers and regular steroid and antibiotic prescriptions, no symptoms so far but very high risk for this. We have been taking precautions for 6 weeks now with her.

All of us in one house, if one is infected then we sure as sh1t all are

Doctor prescribed antibiotic and 3 days steroids for wife, 2 bad days sick and on the mend now. No sign of test, will probably hear on Monday.

Don’t need the test now, and can’t read anything into a negative result
    As virus could well have passed, and we won’t be doing anything for the next 2 weeks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Was referred for testing by GP on the 12th with my son who had high temperature for days and all other symptoms, myself and partner had a headache and dry cough, other kid had high temperature also. Still haven't been tested, we are all better now and have been self isolating since

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SR1990

Waiting since around 8:15am Monday 16th. Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Deirdre5

was referred wednesday the 18th. I'm in Kildare. haven't heard anything, not even sure where i'm supposed to go because i can't drive, presumably can't take public transport so someone might have to come to my house. gp didn't ask any practical questions like that so presumably hse handle all that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

youandme13 wrote:
    Waiting since last Monday. Dublin area. Told by GP would be contacted in 48-72 hours but still no contact from the HSE.
    Typical HSE strategy - let them wait and they'll give up. Hoping that it will resolve itself (spontaneous resolution in med terms). Pathetic. Another option - mismanagement. Both are rampant in the HSE, sadly.

I’m not being smart here, but surely a test result either way is not going to have an impact on what you do, with the exception of needing hospitalisation. There is no magic medicine that cures this, so testing is largely a waste of time.

The WHO would strongly disagree that testing is a waste of time. They are telling countries to "test, test, test" in order to identify where the virus is and work to slow the spread. I'd listen to their expertise over a randomer on boards tbh.

Wishing you and your daughter the best michellie.

Flying Fox wrote: »
    The WHO would strongly disagree that testing is a waste of time. They are telling countries to "test, test, test" in order to identify where the virus is and work to slow the spread. I'd listen to their expertise over a randomer on boards tbh.

At no point have the WHO issued that advice. Edit, it appears they might have.
    I don’t for a second think anybody should listen to what I say, but it seems a hell of a lot of people are getting tested who don’t need it, or won’t need it by the time they get it. And they are taking away precious testing kits from those that need them.

At no point have the WHO issued that advice.

Really? You might want to check the below link. Very clear message from the head of the WHO to "test, test, test."

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-51916707/who-head-our-key-message-is-test-test-test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭babybuilder

At no point have the WHO issued that advice.
    I don’t for a second think anybody should listen to what I say, but it seems a hell of a lot of people are getting tested who don’t need it, or won’t need it by the time they get it. And they are taking away precious testing kits from those that need them.
    You are some piece of work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Dedicated testing center being built in Tullamore, let's see if it's built as fast as the Wuhan hospitals

0013f0ef-800.jpg

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2020/0321/1124569-covid-19-testing-centre-offaly/

You are some piece of work.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

At no point have the WHO issued that advice. I don’t for a second think anybody should listen to what I say, but it seems a hell of a lot of people are getting tested who don’t need it, or won’t need it by the time they get it. And they are taking away precious testing kits from those that need them.
    I can see what LS is saying.

Testing those that are asymptomatic or half mild symtoms isn't going to change their outcome. They will be told to stay at home and isolate. Like we should all be doing anyway. Assume everyone has it.

Testing those with symptoms, particularly a fever or difficulty breathing is going to change their outcome/ treatment. They may have flu, pneumonia, infection if they dont have Covid19.

Testing those with no symptoms or mild symtoms is making those with severe symptoms and those at risk wait much longer.

I can understand the requirement to test those who may have had contact with a confirmed case but when theres a huge backlog and services are still in the process of being ramped up, our most vulnerable should be prioritised.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

I've a family member waiting on a test:

Woke on Wednesday 11th with a sore throat, no other symptoms. We didn't think anything of it as there was no recent travel or known contact with a confirmed case.
    Thursday sore throat, headache
    Friday Sore throat, cough, weakness. Rang GP but didn't meet outlined criteria for a test.
    Saturday low grade fever, cough and lethargy.
    Saturday night developed night sweats and fever.
    Sunday cough, mild shortness of breath.
    Monday (16th) rang GP as the criteria had changed and test booked.

Still awaiting test, symptoms are completely gone and person feels well. Continuing to self isolate at home.

We're in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Deirdre5

anyone know if testing goes on throughout the weekend?

I can see what LS is saying.

Testing those that are asymptomatic or half mild symtoms isn't going to change their outcome. They will be told to stay at home and isolate. Like we should all be doing anyway. Assume everyone has it.

Testing those with symptoms, particularly a fever or difficulty breathing is going to change their outcome/ treatment. They may have flu, pneumonia, infection if they dont have Covid19.

Testing those with no symptoms or mild symtoms is making those with severe symptoms and those at risk wait much longer.

I can understand the requirement to test those who may have had contact with a confirmed case but when theres a huge backlog and services are still in the process of being ramped up, our most vulnerable should be prioritised.

That kind of rational thinking won’t help those who are not able to deal rationally with the increased levels of anxiety that this situation has brought.

A lot of people are getting tested, and have given no thought to what will happen once the result will come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Thurs 12th - headache continued on & off though to Sunday
    Sunday slight cough developing and sore throat.
    Monday 16th chest tight, headache, sore throat, cough
    17th to present all above on & off but for the past 3 nights cold sweats
    Sometimes I feel fine but at times the headache rages.
    Chest tighter at night when i try to sleep.
    Rang GP yesterday 20th & test booked
    Staying in (in since last Thursday except for one trip to the shop.)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭JMJR

That kind of rational thinking won’t help those who are not able to deal rationally with the increased levels of anxiety that this situation has brought.

A lot of people are getting tested, and have given no thought to what will happen once the result will come back.

I am waiting since Wednesday for a test, S Dublin.
    I have not decided I need one, my GP has made that call.
    I am self isolating in my home, family also here.
    I would like to know a result so that I can inform all those I had contact with in the 2 weeks previous to noticing symptoms. That is the reason for testing asap.
    In my case probably now too late to be getting back to those I contacted earliest.

10k people tested so far.
    Max number that can be tested by next weekend is 65k.

Working off the 80-15-5 pattern that’s seen around the world mild-serious-intensive symptoms it’s hard to see how any great number of people with mild symptoms can get tested by this time next week.

When you consider healthcare workers and people with serious symptoms are getting priority for tests it’s hard to justify testing people who have a sniffle.

JMJR wrote: »
    I am waiting since Wednesday for a test, S Dublin.
    I have not decided I need one, my GP has made that call.
    I am self isolating in my home, family also here.
    I would like to know a result so that I can inform all those I had contact with in the 2 weeks previous to noticing symptoms. That is the reason for testing asap.
    In my case probably now too late to be getting back to those I contacted earliest.

That’s all well and good, but a negative result By the time you actually get it doesn’t mean you didn’t have it, your behaving like you have it and rightly so, as should anyone on your ‘list’ for the last two weeks, who should be working on the assumption that you had it. The test may well not confirm that.

If the test confirmed that you had it, but are no longer infectious then that’s another thing, but it doesn’t appear to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

Dedicated testing center being built in Tullamore, let's see if it's built as fast as the Wuhan hospitals

0013f0ef-800.jpg

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2020/0321/1124569-covid-19-testing-centre-offaly/

What an incredible waste of money. Is there really no suitable grounds, like oconnor park, which could easily be used as a test centre like any of the other stadiums being used?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

kingstevii wrote: »
    What an incredible waste of money. Is there really no suitable grounds, like oconnor park, which could easily be used as a test centre like any of the other stadiums being used?

Looks like they're trying to keep up with the chinese, knowing Ireland it will still be at foundation level in 2 years time and billions thrown at it

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mollycam

Absolutely a waste of money...every school, community centre, sports grounds in the country empty! They have'nt had a penny for last 8 or 9 months to give Homecare Pkg to those desperate to get out of hospital and suddenly they have funds to build !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Vodkat wrote: »
    I've a family member waiting on a test:

Woke on Wednesday 11th with a sore throat, no other symptoms. We didn't think anything of it as there was no recent travel or known contact with a confirmed case.
    Thursday sore throat, headache
    Friday Sore throat, cough, weakness. Rang GP but didn't meet outlined criteria for a test.
    Saturday low grade fever, cough and lethargy.
    Saturday night developed night sweats and fever.
    Sunday cough, mild shortness of breath.
    Monday (16th) rang GP as the criteria had changed and test booked.

Still awaiting test, symptoms are completely gone and person feels well. Continuing to self isolate at home.

We're in Galway

Can I just ask what kind of sore throat did you have? Was it like swollen glands in your neck or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Flying Fox wrote: »

Thank you flying fox. I will update when we get our results. I have to say it was a great set up, very quick and easy, the nurse really put us at ease she was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Deirdre5 wrote: »
    anyone know if testing goes on throughout the weekend?

I was phoned today at 3.20 and asked to go for test at 4.20, I got texts a few minutes later confirming mine and my daughters appointments. There are 2 drive through centres here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,024 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

That’s all well and good, but a negative result By the time you actually get it doesn’t mean you didn’t have it, your behaving like you have it and rightly so, as should anyone on your ‘list’ for the last two weeks, who should be working on the assumption that you had it. The test may well not confirm that.

If you had the virus but had recovered by the time you are tested the test would still show positive results for the virus. You would still have traces of it unless you meant getting tested weeks after recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Mollycam wrote: »
    Absolutely a waste of money...every school, community centre, sports grounds in the country empty! They have'nt had a penny for last 8 or 9 months to give Homecare Pkg to those desperate to get out of hospital and suddenly they have funds to build !

I presume it’s just going to be a few prefabs or portacabins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mystic

Dublin
    Went to GP on Friday 13th March to get a letter for work as I have several of the underlying conditions. Employer insisted I needed a letter.
    During the consultation the GP examined me. Temperature was high (I didn't know), Oxygen saturation was 95%, lungs were awful and BP was high. He decided I needed to be referred for a test. He rang the HSE line and got through after approximately 30 minutes. Left the surgery with a mask on.
    1pm, got a call from a Public Health doctor who agreed I should be referred. She went through the self isolation process and said a mobile tester would contact me that night or Saturday morning.
    8.44pm. Missed call from a private number.....4 rings.
    11.30pm. Missed call from a private number again...2 rings this time. Phone was beside me.
    Symptoms: stabbing pain and tightness in lungs, cough and fluctuating temperature.
    No contact about testing since 13th March. Very anxious and stressful time. Symptoms have eased.
    They changed the referral process the following Monday.
    Still in self isolation.

Advertisement