Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your CoVid-19 test queries and observations - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

xalot wrote: »
    Late 30's, healthy, Dublin area.

12th - sore throat, headache, chills, metallic taste in mouth like getting a cold. Advised by HSE to self isolate, not suitable for testing.
    13th - very tired.
    15th - diarrhea and vomiting, really nasty dose
    16th - cough
    20th - burning chest - referred for test. Told 36-48 hours of a wait.

Since then have been mostly fine, very tired and still have a feeling that I'm getting a cold.

It seems like a very long time to be experiencing what appears quite a wide range of symptoms. No temperature in the last few days?

Were you working directly with sufferers?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭JMJR

I imagine eventually people will have to start bypassing the waiting on a test and just call an ambulance. Assuming it’s quite serious.

My GP said isolate and wait for the test. This I have done and will continue to do.
    Also was told if symptoms became bad specifically breathing difficulties then to self refer to A&E

I understand the need to wait for testing to catch up and to keep away from hospital unless absolutely necessary.

It (the availability of testing) has to be a dire situation if frontline staff have to be in the queue with me. Id gladly be passed over to give my spot to any of them.

My suspicion is that the HSE and Government are way behind in test kits, labs etc. I doubt that they have confirmed delivery dates for kits.
    It is the only reason that I can see for the inability to state exactly how the testing will ramp up to catch up the shortfall.

It should be a simple mathematical exercise yet nothing is coming out of the 'experts' on the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

16th sore throat, burning feeling.

17th starting to cough alot

18th bad cough

19th,20th felt perfect again

22nd extremely cold even with fire and heating on, every muscle in my body acheing.

Since then cough is getting much much worse, back is also getting really sore.

Woke up this morning for a pee and was drowned in sweat, literally dripping off me.

If there is no improvement tomorrow I'm ringing doc, although I'm telling myself this all week

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    How did you feel from the 19th to today the 24th?

Have your symptoms abated? Did you get better or worse?

How old are you?

I'm 36.

I felt as well as anyone can with headaches and cough, but nowhere near as bad as some here. Was very bearable.

Thought I was getting better the last 2 days, but woke up this morning like someone was standing on my chest and coughing a lot more again.

Apologies for the detail, but its a mix of dry cough and loose cough today with a lot of mucus coming up. But also getting a real heaviness in my chest every now and then for a minute or so at a time and then goes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

JMJR wrote: »
    My suspicion is that the HSE and Government are way behind in test kits, labs etc. I doubt that they have confirmed delivery dates for kits.
    It is the only reason that I can see for the inability to state exactly how the testing will ramp up to catch up the shortfall.

Aer Lingus are beginning numerous cargo flights to China starting from the 28th of this month bringing in medical supplies, hopefully when they begin things might improve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Qwerty Dub wrote:
    Thought I was getting better the last 2 days, but woke up this morning like someone was standing on my chest and coughing a lot more again.

A lot of reports from positive cases of feeling better before it got worse.
    Definitely contact your GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

michellie wrote: »
    You get a text if negative or a phone call if positive. How long ago did you get tested?

I was tested on Friday afternoon. They said 2/3 days for results and it's been 4 days now.

Emma2019 wrote: »
    I was tested on Friday afternoon. They said 2/3 days for results and it's been 4 days now.

How are you feeling though? What are your symptoms?

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    I'm 36.

I felt as well as anyone can with headaches and cough, but nowhere near as bad as some here. Was very bearable.

Apologies for the detail, but its a mix of dry cough and loose cough today with a lot of mucus coming up. But also getting a real heaviness in my chest every now and then for a minute or so at a time and then goes again.

You mentioned you are Frontline. Gard? Nurse? Army? Doctor?

Are you in direct contact with sufferers?

Is the heavy feeling in your chest abating and then recurring?

Are you sweating profusely? Sorry for asking too many questions but the range of symptoms appearing is astonishing. I respect that people handle infections in different ways.

You mentioned you are Frontline. Gard? Nurse? Army? Doctor?

Are you in direct contact with sufferers?

Is the heavy feeling in your chest abating and then recurring?

Are you sweating profusely? Sorry for asking too many questions but the range of symptoms appearing is astonishing. I respect that people handle infections in different ways.

Not dealing with known sufferers, no.

Literally felt like someone was on my chest when I woke. Eased as morning went on, but still getting the odd really uncomfortable feeling that is short lived.

Headache not budging at all though despite staying hydrated and taking paracetamol.

Not suffering fevers or chills. Nurse took temp last Weds and came back low at 32.9, but I haven't felt the need to check it since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

It seems like a very long time to be experiencing what appears quite a wide range of symptoms. No temperature in the last few days?

Were you working directly with sufferers?

No temperature at all, cold like symptoms come and go the whole time. It's a strange one, reckon I'm just run down.

Dont work with any sufferers, that I'm aware of. One colleague has been off since the same day as me with the exact same symptoms.

Guard. Not dealing with known sufferers, no.

Literally felt like someone was on my chest when I woke. Eased as morning went on, but still getting the odd really uncomfortable feeling that is short lived.

Headache not budging at all though despite staying hydrated and taking paracetamol.

Not suffering fevers or chills. Nurse took temp last Weds and came back low at 32.9, but I haven't felt the need to check it since.

Paracetemol is excellent at controlling temperatures, keep on it. Most symptoms are at their worst in the morning and the evening, it is how you perceive your symptoms as you are waking and also how they affect you as you tire.

Did you attend hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Referred last Friday, test is on Thursday

xalot wrote: »
    No temperature at all, cold like symptoms come and go the whole time. It's a strange one, reckon I'm just run down.

Dont work with any sufferers, that I'm aware of. One colleague has been off since the same day as me with the exact same symptoms.

Do you still have the burning chest? Is it painful or like heart burn?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Notsomindful

Klonker wrote: »
    Does the GP ask when referring you if you have transport to attend the drive through testing? Seems crazy if not.

No they dont.I dont have a car and waiting for test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Do you still have the burning chest? Is it painful or like heart burn?

Yes but not as bad, it's like a sharp tightening sensation when I try to take a deep breath.

Paracetemol is excellent at controlling temperatures, keep on it. Most symptoms are at their worst in the morning and the evening, it is how you perceive your symptoms as you are waking and also how they affect you as you tire.

Did you attend hospital?

No, didn't attend hospital or GP.

There was a nurse working in the building i was in last Weds who checked me out. Upon checking me out and asking Q's, she advised my supervisor to send me home and told me to contact my GP.

I emailed my GP and she phoned me within the hour. We had a chat and she said I meet the criteria for testing and said she would refer me for same. She directed me to self isolate for 14 days. I got a text a while later from GP surgery to say that my COVID19 test referral had been submitted successfully as she said the system had previously crashed while on the phone.

I've had no contact from anyone. Dropped HSELive a DM on Twitter over the weekend and they just said there is a huge backlog and to be patient.

Just wonder about the structure of it all. Some referred after Weds seem to be getting texts and dates etc, and i have seen some who got texts to say they are in the Q for testing and to be patient and stay isolated, but i have had no contact at all. Wondering are people being prioritised based on symptoms or contact with confirmed cases.

I would say the worst bit is not knowing. It is a trying time for everyone. On the positive side ( no pun intended sorry:) ) at least your body is dealing with the virus. As I alluded to earlier in the thread I reckon you will know all about it if you're not handling the virus well. As I also said you will be building an immunity concurrently. I don't believe you can contract the virus twice. The test is not going to cure your symptoms, it will only indicate if you have the virus or not.

There was a nurse working in the building i was in last Weds who checked me out. Upon checking me out and asking Q's, she advised my supervisor to send me home and told me to contact my GP.

I emailed my GP and she phoned me within the hour. We had a chat and she said I meet the criteria for testing and said she would refer me for same. She directed me to self isolate for 14 days. I got a text a while later from GP surgery to say that my COVID19 test referral had been submitted successfully as she said the system had previously crashed while on the phone.

I've had no contact from anyone. Dropped HSELive a DM on Twitter over the weekend and they just said there is a huge backlog and to be patient.

Just wonder about the structure of it all. Some referred after Weds seem to be getting texts and dates etc, and i have seen some who got texts to say they are in the Q for testing and to be patient and stay isolated, but i have had no contact at all. Wondering are people being prioritised based on symptoms or contact with confirmed cases.

I was referred last Wednesday and heard nothing either no texts or dates .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭crisco10

Due to the IT system mess up on the 16th, my referral was delayed until Wednesday 18th (South Dublin), and still no word from anyone.

At this stage, I am 12 days since 1st symptoms and probably about 5 days back "healthy". My wife was also referred and is only a day or two "healthy". I am convinced that by the time we get tested it will be negative, despite our GP being pretty confident that my wife had it.

Seems an unfortunate situation we are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

I just got the call to schedule test. Referred on Thursday 19th. Test is tomorrow morning at Clonskeagh Hospital they’re doing them in the car park there.

She told me “the results would be posted to my doctor” did anyone else get told that?

Waiting since Friday morning for a 11 month old baby who is showing symptoms.
    Havnt heard anything from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I just got the call to schedule test. Referred on Thursday 19th. Test is tomorrow morning at Clonskeagh Hospital they’re doing them in the car park there.

She told me “the results would be posted to my doctor” did anyone else get told that?

I thought they used pigeons ?

Seriously though there different methods in how there getting bank to people it seems. Text, phone call or via GP. First I've heard of post though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Interesting thread on how people are supposed to get their results, doesnt seem to be happening this way by accounts I've heard. Basically you should get a text if negative and a phonecall if positive from the HSE. GP will be told for their records but are not supposed to have the job of notifying patients

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1242175022137032711?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 7 momum5

crisco10 wrote: »
    Due to the IT system mess up on the 16th, my referral was delayed until Wednesday 18th (South Dublin), and still no word from anyone.

At this stage, I am 12 days since 1st symptoms and probably about 5 days back "healthy". My wife was also referred and is only a day or two "healthy". I am convinced that by the time we get tested it will be negative, despite our GP being pretty confident that my wife had it.

Seems an unfortunate situation we are in.

We are the same, 3 of us in household have have... or GP reckoned we did. (Burning pain lungs, cough, flu like symptoms).. My daughter def had cough while they were in school about 12/13 days ago.. We were referred on morn of 16th (Mon) as told we had to wait til then as rolling out new system. 9 days on since referral (Limerick) thankfully we are all recovered but what about all those my daughter was in school with? Re contact tracing we will be at least 2wks on - if we ever get called? .Does test even show that we had it if recovered. Would love to know how Dr.Ciara and Claire Byrne get seen so quickly??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Time to ring them back I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

momum5 wrote: »
    We are the same, 3 of us in household have have... or GP reckoned we did. (Burning pain lungs, cough, flu like symptoms).. My daughter def had cough while they were in school about 12/13 days ago.. We were referred on morn of 16th (Mon) as told we had to wait til then as rolling out new system. 9 days on since referral (Limerick) thankfully we are all recovered but what about all those my daughter was in school with? Re contact tracing we will be at least 2wks on - if we ever get called? .Does test even show that we had it if recovered. Would love to know how Dr.Ciara and Claire Byrne get seen so quickly??

Thats a very important question, if it doesn't show antibodies/that you once had it then this level of delay is rendering a lot of tests pointless and is wasting tests that could be used for health workers. In that instance knowing a result is absolutely critical if they are dealing with patients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Thats a very important question, if it doesn't show antibodies/that you once had it then this level of delay is rendering a lot of tests pointless and is wasting tests that could be used for health workers. In that instance knowing a result is absolutely critical if they are dealing with patients.

I'm three weeks to the day since symptoms began.

Was referred yesterday so if it going to take another week it will probably pointless. I will probably show negative with the PCR test even if I had the virus.

Hopefully they roll out the antibody test here soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 PaddyGannon

This started as a thread about Waiting for a test but like a lot of threads on boards it has turned into something else. If you want to talk about something else, open a new thread.
    Just some of it by what I feel is the first person to go off thread but there are more people.
    With all due respect you are posting some complete nonsense and you should stop.
    Pot calling the kettle black.
    You can become re-infected.
    I’m not the one making a claim of immunity, I just read a bit
    Yes, exactly, you just read a bit not the whole article or maybe just the bit you wanted to read or report on to prove your non-point. Is it as above you can catch it? Or below
    Have a read of this if you want, there is nothing definitive about reinfection, like a flu it’s unlikely you get it twice in one season but it can happen,
    Why didn’t you quote Dr Glockman
    And to answer your first question,
    Also out of interest why are people bothering to get tested? I don’t see the need uNless your high risk or working in essential services.
    Because the WHO recommended it.

Advertisement