Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your CoVid-19 test queries and observations - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭baldshin

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    What hospital is your partner working in?

How can you have a colleague working in another hospital? Are you referring to your partner's colleague or a colleague of your own?

UCHG. Because all doctors are colleagues, they are one massive team, worldwide. Also, many doctors work across multiple hospitals simultaneously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

baldshin wrote: »
    UCHG. Because all doctors are colleagues, they are one massive team, worldwide. Also, many doctors work across multiple hospitals simultaneously.

What types of symptoms is your partner carrying?

Is your partner self isolating?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Anyone know... does the test only test if you have Corona currently?
    Or can it detect that you already had it? Eg. if you have anti-bodies against Corona?

The current swab test detects the virus in the sample. If it is not there then you either never had it OR it has cleared. There is no way to tell which in a swab test, all it knows is if it's there or not.

To tell if you have had it but now cleared you need a blood test which would check to see if your blood has the anti-bodies for Covid. That test will not be available for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

baldshin wrote: »
    Due to be seen tomorrow, with a 2 day wait for results. So that will make it a week out of work, possibly unnecessarily if the results are negative, which they likely will be. Meanwhile a colleague in another hospital was seen on the day of showing symptoms and had results in hours. Can't fathom how this is being handled differently by different major hospitals.

I was tested Saturday and still haven't gotten my results

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

I'm currently awaiting results

How long did it take to recover?

Did you seem to recover mid way through?

Any lung issues since?

Did you have a high fever?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged (#89)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

Tested on Friday 20th March and still no word. Anyone else waiting this long for results?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Emma2019 wrote: »
    Tested on Friday 20th March and still no word. Anyone else waiting this long for results?

Yes since Saturday 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Notsomindful

Was tested today as a walk in patient in Pairc Ui Chaoimh in Cork. Got text yesterday after being re referred on Wednesday.
    Very efficient - will be waiting 5-7 days for results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

Hi,

My wife had a test today at the lucan test centre but she got a text to say it was cancelled and it is instead, tommorow at tallaght.

the lucan centre is literally 3 minutes drive from our house.
    she is someone who doesnt use sat nav/google maps and finds it difficult to drive to new places if i am not with her.

I havent seen her in 5 days as she has locked herself in a bedroom and I leave her food and stuff she needs outside the door and she picks it up once i go downstairs. I am an ex cancer patient who has asthma so she is paranoid that if she has it that she doesnt pas it on to me. so much so we have been distant inthe house as well where i sleep ina differant room to her for past few weeks.

I just wanted to know if i can contact anyone to rearrange the test back for lucan centre?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Beasty wrote: »
    Threads merged (#89)

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭flashforward

Alot of confusion around the wording used around 'testing'

'Testing' is been used by the HSE/department of health to describe both 'Swabbing' and 'Processing' of swabs

'Swabbing' is what's done at the 'test' centres...
    'Processing' is what gives us the new daily cases

Mar 23rd briefing stated Labs were 'Processing' 1350 Swabs/day and the plan was to increase that by 750/day in the near future.

I've read on numerous posts people equating the 5000 'Swabs'/day to 'Processing' of these 5000. That is simply not the case.

If we are only 'Processing' 1350 -> 2100 'Swabs' per day then we will not see the number of daily cases increase significantly.

No focus is put on this in any of the press conferences.
    It is one of the most important metrics when determining the true state of affairs.

The media who get the chance to ask the questions need to get clarity on this and push the departments to report daily cases against qty of swabs processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Very few questions are actually getting asked at press conferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

'Testing' is been used by the HSE/department of health to describe both 'Swabbing' and 'Processing' of swabs

Mar 23rd briefing stated Labs were 'Processing' 1350 Swabs/day and the plan was to increase that by 750/day in the near future.

I've read on numerous posts people equating the 5000 'Swabs'/day to 'Processing' of these 5000. That is simply not the case.

If we are only 'Processing' 1350 -> 2100 'Swabs' per day then we will not see the number of daily cases increase significantly.

It is one of the most important metrics when determining the true state of affairs.

The media who get the chance to ask the questions need to get clarity on this and push the departments to report daily cases against qty of swabs processed.

What's the fascination with testing?

It has a part to play on the overall picture, but a test never cured anyone of anything. Treatment shouldn't be effected too much, most treatments will be stay home and take fluids/paracetamol, and if your sock enough then you'll go to hospital.

The whole Media seems fixated with testing and numbers, not critical in the overall picture.

Threads merged

It has a part to play on the overall picture, but a test never cured anyone of anything. Treatment shouldn't be effected too much, most treatments will be stay home and take fluids/paracetamol, and if your sock enough then you'll go to hospital.

The whole Media seems fixated with testing and numbers, not critical in the overall picture.

Ok thanks for your input, no need for you continue in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,370 ✭✭✭✭noodler

CMO said tens of thousands were being referred to testing on a daily

5,000 tests a day being done according to below.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5261005/coronavirus-ireland-waiting-list-test-appointments-hse/

noodler wrote: »
    CMO said tens of thousands were being referred to testing on a daily

5,000 tests a day being done according to below.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5261005/coronavirus-ireland-waiting-list-test-appointments-hse/

That's 5000 'swabs' taken/day not 'processed'
    This is exactly the confusion that what my post refers to...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Ok thanks for your input, no need for you continue in this thread.

Thanks for the insight, very helpful. I've stumbled into a thread titled testing queries and observations, and made a query /observation about testing - what a silly mistake!

I think they have been upping the processing but there has always been a few days lag between doing the swabs and delivering the results

They've said they are increasing tests from the prior 2,000-2,500 up to 4,500-5,000 a day, and they must have or will quickly have the ability to deal with that many swabs in a day

I agree though they have never been clear on which tests they report on each day. I suspect they have perhaps 2-3 days of "draft" data in addition to what is released to the public and that informs the likes of further restrictions required

Ultimately though the number of positives is continually capped by reference to the number of tests and results processed. We can only assume there are very many more positives out there but not confirmed

• Advertisement

Thanks for the insight, very helpful. I've stumbled into a thread titled testing queries and observations, and made a query /observation about testing - what a silly mistake!

I had this as it's own thread but it was merged to this thread when you replied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Has the croke park testing centre closed? Nobody there today.

I think they have been upping the processing but there has always been a few days lag between doing the swabs and delivering the results

I think the lag is a separate issue altogether. If the daily cases were reported against the number of 'Processed' swabs at least we would have some clarity
    I
    They've said they are increasing tests from the prior 2,000-2,500 up to 4,500-5,000 a day, and they must have or will quickly have the ability to deal with that many swabs in a day

My frustration is around this - why is no one asking the obvious- there is nothing aside from the 23rd briefing which stated 1350 processed results/ day...

It's now 9 days since my test. Is there anyone we can call or is it just a case of "whenever we get to you"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,370 ✭✭✭✭noodler

That's 5000 'swabs' taken/day not 'processed'
    This is exactly the confusion that what my post refers to...

I see what you mean.

Though it's not clear to me that they are not processing 5000 a day.

They are getting referrals from GPs of a much greater magnitude.

Emma2019 wrote: »
    It's now 9 days since my test. Is there anyone we can call or is it just a case of "whenever we get to you"

Hi all, I rang HSE helpline and they said the wait is normal and to bear with them. Just letting everyone know so they don't have to ring themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

You will find that being rational has very little to do with it. This is a place for panic, misinformation and the evolution of anxiety.

Plenty of people want to get tested because the fell a small bit off and then for years they can talk ****e about how they survived the pandemic.

I’ve said it a lot of times, people who get test results haven’t given any consideration to what will change in the event of a positive or negative result. Because very very little if anything will change for the vast majority of people.

The people who this doesn’t apply to won’t be posting Or reading on any forum. They will be proper sick.

Genuine question. Can anybody advise me if private testing got Covid-19 is actually available in Ireland as I would be willing to pay for a test if so. It would be helpful especially to know if I were shedding virus during my recovery phase from an illness with breathing difficulty and fever. It would mean I could go to the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its definitely possible in the UK, havent heard of it here
    A private clinic is offering £375 coronavirus tests for the public and businesses as Public Health England (PHE) and the NHS restrict testing to only high-risk groups.

The Private Harley Street Clinic, said it was offering testing for Covid-19 from Friday to anyone who suspected they might have the virus but did not fit PHE’s criteria for testing.

The clinic says that results from the test, which also covers nine other respiratory viruses, will be available in five days. It has not been approved by PHE and the clinic said it should be treated only as “pre-screening”.

Dr Mark Ali, chief executive and medical director of the clinic, said he decided to offer private tests after being inundated with requests from people who had been refused testing after calling the NHS 111 helpline.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/13/harley-street-clinic-offering-375-coronavirus-private-test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Is this even possible without reducing the number of tests available to the public that need them most?

Advertisement