Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The strategy of favouring the old and the vulnerable will prove disastrous long term.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

storker wrote: »
    I suspect that this may be one of the changes we'll see. The trick of course will be to make such masks comfortable and practical.

Could be incredibly useful, a practical solution to life in the future

pjohnson wrote: »
    So now you just start having a tantrum and accuse me of trolling? Expected response I guess.

It’s a discussion forum. Your throwing out pathetic rubbish insults and Iv took the bait. You have no interest in discussion, argument or not, just insults.
    Anyhow if you want discussion that’s no problem . I’ve a funny feeling you dont.
    And well done on achieving a life where money is completely irrelevant and doesn’t warrant discussions. Some of us aren’t so lucky and we are completely entitled to mention it on those threads without fear of being labelled selfish by some holier than thou type fishing for thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

=CtevenSrowder;112909424]Eh what? The point is to minimise the number of people with mental issues. Your policy of isolating for "however long it takes" doesn't do this. If I'm "sacrificing" 10 people, you're "sacrificing" 100. And BTW, not all mental health issues result in suicide.

I have said I will follow WHO recommendations, and yes, I will do that for however long it takes. It's their policy, not mine. (Though apparently now, I'm being told they are not to be trusted).

YOU, however, are the one who is insistent that if this goes on longer then 3 months, then the whole fabric of society will break down so far that it will never recover, and therefore anyone who at that stage who is elderly or vulnerable, should be thrown under the bus so everyone else can get back to normal.

It will be the likes of those who think they know better that won't comply that will result in a true lock-down, and who will selfishly continue the spread of the virus, even if they do not have symptoms themselves, not people like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,549 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

ITman88 wrote: »
    It’s a discussion forum. Your throwing out pathetic rubbish insults and Iv took the bait. You have no interest in discussion, argument or not, just insults.
    Anyhow if you want discussion that’s no problem . I’ve a funny feeling you dont

I was discussing your point that everyone is only motivated by money and nothing else.

Eventually you relented and admitted that nurses may not be motivated by money.

Then after admitting your original point was shíte you start whining and asking about my employment? Sorry ITman88 I dont think you're my type so no interest in getting to know you personally its a discussion forum not a dating site. My employment has nothing to do with this.

You admitted that nurses arent motivated by money so the original claim you made is redundant. No I wont tell you my job, height, weight, age etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Anyhow if you want discussion that’s no problem . I’ve a funny feeling you dont

Are you enjoying the troll itman. You’ve been rumbled. Anything else you’ve got to say is null and void kid.

• Advertisement

AulWan wrote: »
    I have said I will follow WHO recommendations, and yes, I will do that for however long it takes. It's their policy, not mine. (Though apparently now, I'm being told they are not to be trusted).

YOU, however, are the one who is insistent that if this goes on longer then 3 months, then the whole fabric of society will break down so far that it will never recover, and therefore anyone who at that stage who is elderly or vulnerable, should be thrown under the bus so everyone else can get back to normal.

It will be the likes of those who think they know better that won't comply that will result in a true lock-down, and who will selfishly continue the spread of the virus, even if they do not have symptoms themselves, not people like me.

That’s not what the poster said, seriously, throwing people under the bus. It was implied the very opposite, they should be cocooned and protected.

What’s a true lockdown??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭riddles

Peoples attitude to this virus is similar to people’s reaction to a traffic jam. Where are all these people going and why are they in my way?

I was discussing your point that everyone is only motivated by money and nothing else.

Eventually you relented and admitted that nurses may not be motivated by money.

Then after admitting your original point was shíte you start whining and asking about my employment? Sorry ITman88 I dont think you're my type so no interest in getting to know you personally its a discussion forum not a dating site. My employment has nothing to do with this.

You admitted that nurses arent motivated by money so the original claim you made is redundant. No I wont tell you my job, height, weight, age etc.

What motivates people to go work??????

I’ve obviously made serious mistakes in my life that I’m waking up at 6am when I don’t need to.

More important things than money according to some guy on boards.

Your employment is relevant in that you don’t seem to have any consideration for money so I want to retrain in your areas.

The dating reference is mature, good lad.

Iv no idea what your last paragraph is about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

For how long will you live on food and water?

For as long as I know it’s keeping my family alive ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

What's so bad about food and water anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Not by me. So, if the WHO recommend what I'm suggesting, you'll follow it then?

Nope, now you are talking of throwing people under the bus. At least it's better than talking of "sacrificing" people. Thats not what this is about. There are no good options. Yours, imo, is the worst.

I am complying. We are talking about the consequences long term for a continued self isolation. Noone knows what the WHO will or will not recommend. So it's not about me knowing better. It's me giving my opinion. I see you are still throwing out the selfish line. So be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭CroatoanCat

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/557ff7a6-6ae5-11ea-b96a-000a4e1a8b0c?shareToken=1466c18c6beaff28b428c36c3d26d9df

That link should allow people to read the article without signing up to anything. If I've done it right!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

LillySV wrote: »
    That’s why China welded doors of apartment blocks shut... to stop dumb people who consider socializing more important than peoples lives ...

this could go on for two years...... having to socialize online and on the phone for up to two years seems a small ask in comparison to what could happen if we didn’t

I repeat The need for friendship and relationships will overcome the fear of death.

It's the way it's always been and always will be. It's how our society functions.

It's not 'socializing' as you put it, it's an basic part of human nature to seek out and have relationships with others.

You may be happy as you've suggested to live on your own for two years living your life through the internet but you may be surprised to find others wont.

And again I repeat no matter what restrictions and rules are put down, eventually after a period of time The need for friendship and relationships will overcome the fear of death.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/557ff7a6-6ae5-11ea-b96a-000a4e1a8b0c?shareToken=1466c18c6beaff28b428c36c3d26d9df

That link should allow people to read the article without signing up to anything. If I've done it right!

Very well articulated article. I don’t disagree with any of it.
    The economy is directly linked to our longevity and quality of life.
    The very failing of that will have direct impacts on both the quality of life and length of our lives.

trapp wrote: »
    I repeat The need for friendship and relationships will overcome the fear of death.

It's the way it's always been and always will be. It's how our society functions.

It's not 'socializing' as you put it, it's an basic part of human nature to seek out and have relationships with others.

You may be happy as you've suggested to live on your own for two years living your life through the internet but you may be surprised to find others wont.

And again I repeat no matter what restrictions and rules are put down, eventually after a period of time The need for friendship and relationships will overcome the fear of death.

Absolutely. We are social creatures. We crave interaction, but boards isn’t indicative of the general population!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

Absolutely. We are social creatures. We crave interaction, but boards isn’t indicative of the general population!

And perhaps that's why we seem to be putting this argument to a brick wall!!

The very idea of isolation goes against human nature so it stands to reason that it won't and can't be sustained long term, not through badness or wanting to put others at risk, simply because the need for relationships overcomes fear of anything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭storker

Very well articulated article. I don’t disagree with any of it.
    The economy is directly linked to our longevity and quality of life.
    The very failing of that will have direct impacts on both the quality of life and length of our lives.

But not as quickly as a rapidly-spreading COVID-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jamesf85

Some of the posts on here are downright bizarre.

People talking about being willing to stay in isolation for up to 2 years?

Well done. I suppose you're also the same people who post on social media raising "awareness" about mental health or the 'me too' movement or whatever topic is trending. Give me a break.

No one is self isolating for 2 years, it won't even happen for more than 6 months...to even suggest it or talk about it is pure fantasy.

We have a window here, one we need to take very seriously, to not overburden our healthcare system and try and save as many people that are vulnerable to this as we can. But there will come a point, in a few months, when we won't be able to isolate and lock down anymore. Both from a human nature element but also because economically it would completely ruin the country.

At this point society will no longer be able to put everything on hold for an unknown amount of time to preserve the frail elderly and sick. It sounds cruel but its reality. Life is short, and at some point the interest of the many will outweigh that of the few. Let's not fool ourselves, people have children also that they need to look after, they need to make decisions in the best interests of their families, and that won't be staying inside with no income and no means of paying rent/mortgage for an indefinite amount of time.

Right now we need to concentrate all our energies on buying our medical staff as much time as possible and then scientists need to get to work and figure out a treatment for this. In 18 months just won't cut it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Not by me. So, if the WHO recommend what I'm suggesting, you'll follow it then?

Ah, but you already know from the other thread, that I am one of those who would remain isolated, due to medical conditions that put me in the high risk category. So would my 24 year old daughter.

Now, I wonder how long your new society would tolerate us being "cocooned" while you support us? Pay our bills? I can't see that lasting very long.
    Nope, now you are talking of throwing people under the bus. At least it's better than talking of "sacrificing" people. Thats not what this is about.

Please, all you've done on both threads, is go on about how the lives (and mental health) of the elderly and vulnerable are expendable, in order to save the economy.
    There are no good options. Yours, imo, is the worst.
    Again, its not "mine", its what the WHO recommends.
    I am complying. We are talking about the consequences long term for a continued self isolation. Noone knows what the WHO will or will not recommend. So it's not about me knowing better. It's me giving my opinion. I see you are still throwing out the selfish line. So be it.

And will you continue to comply if this goes on for longer then 3 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

You are a better person then me so because I can honestly say i would not give my life for a stranger.
    I'm sure they give every cent of disposable income they have to help prevent children starving.
    We all love to imagine we're that selfless, but in reality most would trample a strangers child if they were trapped in a fire.

• Advertisement

storker wrote: »
    But not as quickly as a rapidly-spreading COVID-19.

Absolutely that’s why we are social distancing at present.
    But this won’t continue indefinitely

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭trumptheman

Once you have a roof over your head and can afford food that's all that matters.

I think some landlords are worried about not getting rent and other people worrying about not making payments on their 2020 car which they could barely afford anyway.

I do really hope a lot of new cars do get repossessed as it might actually wake a large part of the nation about saving money and living within your means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Still so many not awakened to the reality and willing to take risks despite the pleas from public health organisations, and despite all the information out there on the importance of self isolating/social distancing - for everyone. And the figures from Italy, Spain, Iran. And the level of contagion. And the already stretched health service.

It's genuinely frightening...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

A frightening reminder of who is actually pulling the strings in the UK. And it’s not boris Johnson.

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1241637163076333568?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

allowing the elderly to perish en masse would likely have an even more devastating impact on the nation's collective psyche than the economic depression we are about to hit.

but, depending on how long this continues, there will be a tipping point at which the economic hardship starts becoming the more damaging part of the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,549 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Runaways wrote: »
    A frightening reminder of who is actually pulling the strings in the UK. And it’s not boris Johnson.

Not that suprising. This thread has the same economy fetishists.

Not that suprising. This thread has the same economy fetishists.

Apparently so.
    Scary really.

Runaways wrote: »

Dominic Cummings qualifies as a callous sociopath, his whole raison d'etre is a manipulative power grab. The fact that BoJo hangs on his every word is rather unfortunate for the UK populace. And by proxy, Ireland.

Dominic Cummings qualifies as a callous sociopath, his whole raison d'etre is a manipulative power grab. The fact that BoJo hangs on his every word is rather unfortunate for the UK populace. And by proxy, Ireland.

Who’s pulling Cummings strings though ?

That’s the scary part

• Advertisement

The country is obviously not going to lockdown for 2 or 3 years, anybody that thinks that is naive at best. We’d be destroyed socially and economically. 3 months max.

That doesn’t mean that some people can’t choose to lockdown themselves. Everything can be done online nowadays anyways. If you want to stay in for 2 or 3 years, go ahead.

To me, Life is for living, not surviving.

Advertisement