Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child's An Post Account doesn't Exist?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

That doesn't sound right,it's either incompetence,fraud or robbery,I'd contact the head office,and a solicitor after I went to the Gardai

The Gardai won't entertain you or even a solicitor.
    This is probably the worst advice I've ever seen on boards and I've been reading here a long time.

1) Contact their head office number which can be got from a quick google.
    2) If you get no-where with the head office lodge an official complaint.
    3) Still get no-where lodge and official complaint with statesavings.ie or lodge one with fspo.ie

Contact the Gardai and Solicitor is just ridiculous advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

That's some nice slander but not accurate

Not sure why you think its slander. The facts are that the op had 1000 euro in an account . Now the account vanished along with the money.
    It seems a fairly clear cut case of fraud and theft to me

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Not sure why you think its slander. The facts are that the op had 1000 euro in an account . Now the account vanished along with the money.

in order for it to be fraud and theft an An Post employee would have to have taken the money. at the moment there is nothing to suggest the money has been taken. An post simply cannot locate the account. Most likely that is down to either simple incompotence on the part of An Post or the OP doesn't know the exact name and address on the account.

Who in An Post have you been talking to and what is the complaints process for this?

Who is the regulator for this product if the complaints process doesn't solve it?

in order for it to be fraud and theft an An Post employee would have to have taken the money. at the moment there is nothing to suggest the money has been taken. An post simply cannot locate the account. Most likely that is down to either simple incompotence on the part of An Post or the OP doesn't know the exact name and address on the account.

I see your point but you are only asking for it to be investigated. I don't see any accusation that mary or john blogs have taken it but rather my money is missing and those in charge of it cannot account for it. .

Theft also includes denying someone access to their property not just permanently keeping it.

• Advertisement

I see your point but you are only asking for it to be investigated. I don't see any accusation that mary or john blogs have taken it but rather my money is missing and those in charge of it cannot account for it. .

Theft also includes denying someone access to their property not just permanently keeping it.

an post are not denying them access to their property. An Post are telling them they dont have it. getting the gardai involved at this stage is nonsense. they wont be interested at all because there is no evidence of a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,083 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

How about lodging a complaint with the Financial Services and Pensions Ombudsman. https://www.fspo.ie/make-a-complaint/

cnocbui wrote: »
    How about lodging a complaint with the Financial Services and Pensions Ombudsman. https://www.fspo.ie/make-a-complaint/
    they need to exhaust the complaints process with An Post before the FSPO will look at it.

an post are not denying them access to their property. An Post are telling them they dont have it. getting the gardai involved at this stage is nonsense. they wont be interested at all because there is no evidence of a crime.

Of course they are denying access. .
    They don't have it but should. They are being paid to look after it. I'm not suggesting ringing the guards yet. There are other avenues to go down first but it is an option later when needed. . I agree there is very little evidence. That's why you investigate and get evidence. Either there is incompetence or a crime has taken place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Of course they are denying access. .
    They don't have it but should. They are being paid to look after it. I'm not suggesting ringing the guards yet. There are other avenues to go down first but it is an option later when needed. . I agree there is very little evidence. That's why you investigate and get evidence. Either there is incompetence or a crime has taken place.

Or maybe theres an error on the OPs part, Ive had people swear on their mothers life that they bought something in my shop that Ive never stocked !

It could be that the a/c was opened in the mothers/fathers name , that it was bonds or certs that were got and not a savings book , could be something as mad as it was a credit union a/c that was opened and not a posb.

Dont aways assume that the customer is right, in the OPs case im sure that its a simple error and it will be sorted with a bit of digging.

• Advertisement

Shelflife wrote: »
    Or maybe theres an error on the OPs part, Ive had people swear on their mothers life that they bought something in my shop that Ive never stocked !

It could be that the a/c was opened in the mothers/fathers name , that it was bonds or certs that were got and not a savings book , could be something as mad as it was a credit union a/c that was opened and not a posb.

Dont aways assume that the customer is right, in the OPs case im sure that its a simple error and it will be sorted with a bit of digging.

I agree 100 %. But all that should be checked out by the op and the post office and other places well in advance of causing anyone.

Trust me I know that the customer is often wrong. I'm self employed. Some customers would test anyones sanity

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

Any Chance it was an AIB account? They allow lodgements and provide lodgement books that can be used in An Post

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Actually if you think about it, the cost of Gardai is irrelevant. They are police, they investigate actual crimes. Not grievances, not customer service complaints but crimes. Unless the op wants someone arrested and charged with an actual crime that requires proof of an actual act, don't waste their time. They have better things to do.

Dunno where you get your figures for a solicitor but it's not that simple. First off, so what if it's a solicitor writing? That supposed to scare someone? So what if she went to the Gardai, an post will think the same thing I do, that was a waste of time and the Gardai won't be going busting down doors and slapping postie about.

Atm the op is indeed stuck but giving her silly wasteful advise to go speak to the wrong people and spend money she doesn't need to is only going to get her more stuck.

If no chill pill, try a reality pill

Op, at this stage maybe try a freedom of information request? See what a fresh channel achieves? Or the complaint as someone else suggested.

So missing money possibly fraud is not a crime? The person who put it into a government body didn't spend it,it's his not the post offices end of,and if it can't be found it obviously was stolen or lost and any monies stolen or lost have to be reported,or maybe in your area this is all ok?
    FFS what do you want him to do ? forget about it?

So missing money possibly fraud is not a crime? The person who put it into a government body didn't spend it,it's his not the post offices end of,and if it can't be found it obviously was stolen or lost and any monies stolen or lost have to be reported,or maybe in your area this is all ok?
    FFS what do you want him to do ? forget about it?

Use your head, you have to go down the proper channels. Gaurds or Solicitors will not be interested in this whatsoever and are just wasting their time. Even if a account is closed the post office will still have the information about the account. It's not magically wiped once an account is closed.

As previously mentioned ring head office and if get no-where make an official complaint.
    If the situation isn't rectified with official complaint then contact state savings or financial ombudsman and they will deal with the matter.

Why would you go the guards or even get a solicitor, that is not the correct course of action.

Imagine going to the gaurds and saying that the post office cannot find my account, you would be laughed out of the building. You do realize its a central system they use. Someone in a post office can't just delete an account and make it look like it never existed.

It mightn't even be a savings account they setup! The amount if misinformation is this thread is quite scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,980 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Imagine going to the gaurds and saying that the post office cannot find my account, ....

It mightn't even be a savings account they setup!

Especially when you get to the point about not having ANY proof that the account ever existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Especially when you get to the point about not having ANY proof that the account ever existed.

It's "guards" and I'm not getting into a pissing competition, that was my honest opinion , nothing else,OP hope you get sorted and don't give up.

It's "guards" and I'm not getting into a pissing competition, that was my honest opinion , nothing else,OP hope you get sorted and don't give up.

My spelling is about as bad as your advice.

You are making an accusation of a criminal act and there's no evidence of mens rea or actus reus. Theses certain requirements for a criminal act of fraud. You have met 1 of 3 so far.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

cnocbui wrote: »

This....

Why is this thread so long? Log a complaint formally.

Their decision is legally binding.

Advertisement