Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go for a run?

Options
  • 21-03-2020 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

I've been to the Nature Park and People's Park, both were too crowded to comfortably breathe/gasp. Any recommendations for a flat(ish) area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Greenway
    Woodstown
    The ballybeg loop

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

How is the John's River path along the Tramore road? It's narrow but straight enough to zip by people if you go beep beep!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Pretty quiet there from the Odeon cinema all the way out to the end near the outer ring. Few on it.. I have been taking the two kids out at quiet times to teach them to ride their bikes on it this week. Mostly dog walkers.. so y'know.. watch where you step and maybe put your older runners on !

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

Are "runners" immune to COVID-19 so? Must be some kinda super race:D. God help us all if the Govt lockdown the country. Y cannae run away from yer problems then lads :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Bhoy1967

Are "runners" immune to COVID-19 so? Must be some kinda super race:D. God help us all if the Govt lockdown the country. Y cannae run away from yer problems then lads :pac::pac:

Maybe give it a try - it might get you away from the auld laptoparooney for a while :D

As for running spots:

The Greenway is great a little busy but plenty of room there to pass folk out - no issue with social distancing - maybe park at Mt. Congrieve / Kilotteran and go left towards Kilmeaden - gets quieter the further you go out

In and out the tramore road from Supervalue is also a handy option.

A full lap of the outer & inner ring road starting at the RSC up the Cork road to BMW and out to Faranshonneen roundabout,down Grange hill and folly and back to the RSC is a decent 8 and a little bit miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Bhoy1967 wrote: »
    Maybe give it a try - it might get you away from the auld laptoparooney for a while :D

As for running spots:

The Greenway is great a little busy but plenty of room there to pass folk out - no issue with social distancing - maybe park at Mt. Congrieve / Kilotteran and go left towards Kilmeaden - gets quieter the further you go out

In and out the tramore road from Supervalue is also a handy option.

A full lap of the outer & inner ring road starting at the RSC up the Cork road to BMW and out to Faranshonneen roundabout,down Grange hill and folly and back to the RSC is a decent 8 and a little bit miles.

As a matter of interest why do you joggers insist on running on the road or in cycle lanes, more often than not without a HI-viz? Also, why do you not use the Walkway along the John's river on the Tramore Road and instead chose to jog on the main road, causing havoc for traffic? Same down the Folly Hill and along the inner Road, are the paths not wide enough? Just curious?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭somahoney74

jimbojazz wrote: »
    As a matter of interest why do you joggers insist on running on the road or in cycle lanes, more often than not without a HI-viz? Also, why do you not use the Walkway along the John's river on the Tramore Road and instead chose to jog on the main road, causing havoc for traffic? Same down the Folly Hill and along the inner Road, are the paths not wide enough? Just curious?

Footpaths are for pedestrians. Roads or cycle lanes are for moving traffic, that includes joggers.

Footpaths are for pedestrians. Roads or cycle lanes are for moving traffic, that includes joggers.[/QUOTE

Incorrect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Footpaths are for pedestrians. Roads or cycle lanes are for moving traffic, that includes joggers.

Is that true?

debok wrote: »
    Is that true?

In their minds it is, but it’s not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

are the paths not wide enough? Just curious?

Concrete footpaths very hard for running on for one... bit more give, believe it or not in the road surface. Makes a huge difference, even over a short number of miles let alone over months and months of pounding.

Mugser wrote: »
    Concrete footpaths very hard for running on for one... bit more give, believe it or not in the road surface. Makes a huge difference, even over a short number of miles let alone over months and months of pounding.

Roads are very hard on my tyres, but hey ho, I can't drive on the grass

Whether its true or not this issue has hit the media in the last few days, it was discussed on 2 national radio shows yesterday .
    Joggers and runners are practically running through people on footpaths now, sweating and spitting and just being unaware of sharing the space. The odd runner on a footpath was never a problem before.
    But a lot of people who would normally be in gyms are now out running. So are an awful lot more ordinary folk , a lot of them old, with babies in buggies etc etc.

I run and I don't run on footpaths, never have. Its particularly unfair when there are people on them and runners barge through. I've often seen this.

In these times everyone needs to be a lot more considerate. NONE of us own the road or the footpath, regardless of what we do and what taxes we pay.

Whether its true or not this issue has hit the media in the last few days, it was discussed on 2 national radio shows yesterday .
    Joggers and runners are practically running through people on footpaths now, sweating and spitting and just being unaware of sharing the space. The odd runner on a footpath was never a problem before.
    But a lot of people who would normally be in gyms are now out running. So are an awful lot more ordinary folk , a lot of them old, with babies in buggies etc etc.

I run and I don't run on footpaths, never have. Its particularly unfair when there are people on them and runners barge through. I've often seen this.

In these times everyone needs to be a lot more considerate. NONE of us own the road or the footpath, regardless of what we do and what taxes we pay.

I've no real issue with them running on roads where there's a wide enough hard shoulder.

Where I have the issue is when, for example the road from the Black Rock to the Supervalu roundabout, where there is no hard shoulder and they are practically on top of the cars, sometimes 2 or 3 abreast, especially in the Winter when most don't even wear a hi-viz vest, even though there is a wide track along the river.

Also, running in cycle lanes, nearly every morning I see cyclists have to veer onto the road because some jogger decides to run in them, the Folly & inner ring road for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I thought footpaths were for feet, cycle lanes for bikes and roads for cars.

Oh well...

I've no real issue with them running on roads where there's a wide enough hard shoulder.

Where I have the issue is when, for example the road from the Black Rock to the Supervalu roundabout, where there is no hard shoulder and they are practically on top of the cars, sometimes 2 or 3 abreast, especially in the Winter when most don't even wear a hi-viz vest, even though there is a wide track along the river.

Also, running in cycle lanes, nearly every morning I see cyclists have to veer onto the road because some jogger decides to run in them, the Folly & inner ring road for example.

I think it comes down to personal responsibility - I run on the roads, in fact I ran in the Tramore road yesterday evening - single file along the hard shoulder - enough room for one person. No issue - walkers / pedestrians are allowed to walk on roads while facing oncoming traffic - can't see an issue with this and as others have said - running on the roads is less of an impact than on concrete footpaths.

i'd be more worried about cyclists being honest - 3 abreast on our roads but then again down to personal responsibility and a few mindless idiots!

Bhoy1967 wrote: »
    I think it comes down to personal responsibility - I run on the roads, in fact I ran in the Tramore road yesterday evening - single file along the hard shoulder - enough room for one person. No issue - walkers / pedestrians are allowed to walk on roads while facing oncoming traffic - can't see an issue with this and as others have said - running on the roads is less of an impact than on concrete footpaths.

i'd be more worried about cyclists being honest - 3 abreast on our roads but then again down to personal responsibility and a few mindless idiots![/QUOTE

Don't get me started on the cyclists, like I said, no issue if there's a decent hard shoulder, but it's the road from the black rock to the Supervalu roundabout that's particularly dangerous, you definitely don't see walkers on that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Did a 26mile run yesterday and met a total of 10 people all of which happened in the last 1mile before my house, traffic was extremely light for almost all the run.

All I can say is thank feck for country roads :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

corcaigh07 wrote: »

Oh well...

Did you hear?
    Footpaths are also for motorists to park on, its the done thing on almost every street in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

Joggers who run on the road are ...

ThumbTaxed wrote: »

Continue????

Better than the fat f*ckers who shout abuse out the window at them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    ae7aed4fdbad08486f7c76130189e939.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

corcaigh07 wrote: »

Oh well...

so how do you cross the road??:confused:

and why do Pedestrians have priority over vehicles when on the road?
    also Bikes have absolutely no obligation to use cycle lanes and are quite entitled to use the road instead of a cycle lane if they see fit

ohhh well ....

Advertisement