Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinister tension in the air

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Raconteuse wrote: »
    There ARE people posting that kinda stuff with relish though. Look at the above post quoted by Xertz.

SO much people saying such and such "will" happen. They're absolutely loving it!

I'll leave it up to you what you think of people putting a not unreasonable warning on the table about the fallout of this.

You'd be foolish to think that many politicians wishing to further a narrow agenda or a pet project that would be otherwise be unpalatable wouldn't use a crisis like this to do so.

As pointed out on another thread (or perhaps this one) Orban has already tabled an indefinite 'rule by decree' motion for the attention of the Hungarian parliament. He won't be the last reflexive autocrat in this continent or others to strengthen their position off the back of this.

Judge away, I'm willing to take the bet I'll be proven more right than wrong on this when the dust has settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

The contrarians have to be seen to view anything - anything - as more of a concern than this devastating pandemic. Apparently teenagers can't be held responsible for their own actions either - because they're still toddlers apparently.

'Contrarian'?

You can get killed getting into street fights. Or you might have to go to prison.

If you think that boards posters who have lost their marbles represent some kind of mainstream consensus I don't know what to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I do wish folks were not getting so gee'd up by the prospects of social unrest. A bit more kindness and a bit less its the end of the world can go a long way.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Too much TV and too much playstation make johney go crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The problem once again is the Irish entitlement culture.

"Someone else should have to pay tax - the rich, the corporations, the wealthy etc. - not me".

"I should get a free four-bedroom house with a garden for a trampoline from the government".

"I should be allowed do what I want and go where I want, while others stay home and quarantine to keep me safe".

Etc. Etc. Etc.

It is always someone else's responsibility to do something and pay for something, not mine.

Unless that changes, we are going to get hit harder by the coronavirus than many other countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

This whole thread is sad. There is not a sinister tension, a virus is not sinister and people taking necessary actions to deal with it not in the least sinister. It is unpleasant, disrupting, concerning, worrying, and other things, but is not sinister.

No what is really disrupting, concerning, worrying are the fooking muppets that think they can still what the fook they want.

Wicklow mountains have been overrun with fooking eejits mostly Dubs, and the wantabee Dubs from North Wicklow towns like Bray, who think they can just pile up into the mountains.

Worse still you had a money grabbing basta**s operating foodstalls in Glendalough upper car park, resulting in queues.

Oh and contrary to impressions by some folks here over weekend it is not owned by OPW (or the National Park), but by good old Wicklow County Council, and the guards put in barrier on Sunday to belatedly shut it downafter thousands had been through it in the previous week.
    Then again they made money out of it so shure isn't it grand. :mad:

You have muppets parking in farm gates, actually one abandoned car for while beside pedestrian crossing, and fooking off for a walk.

Then you have the idiots with dogs off leashes who might finally cop on after their precious mutt is blasted with a 12 gauge when caught in a farmers field along with their lambing ewes.

This crisis is highlighting how fooking me fein we have gotten as a society and how fooking entitled some people feel.
    I have heard the line used that people pay motor tax so they are entitled to drive where they want.
    Yes they are entitled to drive, but not to fooking park.

I am not allowed discuss …

blanch152 wrote: »
    The problem once again is the Irish entitlement culture.

"Someone else should have to pay tax - the rich, the corporations, the wealthy etc. - not me".

"I should get a free four-bedroom house with a garden for a trampoline from the government".

"I should be allowed do what I want and go where I want, while others stay home and quarantine to keep me safe".

Etc. Etc. Etc.

It is always someone else's responsibility to do something and pay for something, not mine.

Unless that changes, we are going to get hit harder by the coronavirus than many other countries.

Oh FFS would you ever give it a rest.

What in the blue blazes has coronavirus has to do with the housing issues in the state?

Martians could land and wipe out Dublin and people of your ilk would try to shoehorn in 'entitlement culture' garbage into your posts.

You're worse than every doler I've met put together. You hate people, you're a misanthrope, we get it, just change the record.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Oh FFS would you ever give it a rest.

What in the blue blazes has coronavirus has to do with the housing issues in the state?

Martians could land and wipe out Dublin and people of your ilk would try to shoehorn in 'entitlement culture' garbage into your posts.

You're worse than every doler I've met put together. You hate people, you're a misanthrope, we get it, just change the record.

If you can't see the common thread and common link, that is your problem. In my opinion, there is a common thread across a lot of the country's problems that can be encapsulated in an entitlement culture, and this crisis is showing it clearly too.

If you can't see the common thread and common link, that is your problem. In my opinion, there is a common thread across a lot of the country's problems that can be encapsulated in an entitlement culture, and this crisis is showing it clearly too.

There is no common thread. You're trying to crowbar your nasty politics and misanthropy into an unprecedented situation that nobody in our lifetime has gone through.

Take it to the YFG cubscouts WhatsApp group. They'll love it there I'm sure.

There is no common thread. You're trying to crowbar your nasty politics and misanthropy into an unprecedented situation that nobody in our lifetime has gone through.

Take it to the YFG cubscouts WhatsApp group. They'll love it there I'm sure.

I think you need to lie down. Have you got a temperature?

No need to get so upset about another's opinion. It is a free world, and all opinions are welcome.

• Advertisement

I think you need to lie down. Have you got a temperature?

No need to get so upset about another's opinion. It is a free world, and all opinions are welcome.

You're a broken record who would wade into a thread about Cadbury Cream Eggs with the same 'entitlement' palaver.

If there's anything defective in our culture, it's bores like you who think they have it all figured out and are morally superior beings and having nothing good to say about anyone you don't think is your equal, which is most people apparently.

Give it a rest.

Indeed, I refer to it as the "waster crisis".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

jmayo wrote: »
    No what is really disrupting, concerning, worrying are the fooking muppets that think they can still what the fook they want.

Wicklow mountains have been overrun with fooking eejits mostly Dubs, and the wantabee Dubs from North Wicklow towns like Bray, who think they can just pile up into the mountains.

I see the Dubs were packing out beaches in Clare and Donegal too and the Garda had to stop people from entering them

Augeo wrote: »
    Indeed, I refer to it as the "waster crisis".

Oh look, it's discount Dominic Cummings who's along to tell us who those on the housing list are responsible for coronavirus.

Welcome to the fray. Just don't bore anyone to death making your points; it's actually more deadly than the virus in case you're unaware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

When you say "entitlement culture" are you referring to a particular socioeconomic group.
    I agree entitlement culture or maybe plain old fashioned selfishness is a problem, but it covers all society. The
    clowns living it up at Cheltenham are but one example.

joe40 wrote: »
    When you say "entitlement culture" are you referring to a particular socioeconomic group.
    I agree entitlement culture or maybe plain old fashioned selfishness is a problem, but it covers all society.

A point well made. People will display selfishness during the course of events when this virus will run. You'll find every socioeconomic demographic partaking however. But, some people can't resist using a very sad crisis to push a nasty political agenda.

I'm abroad in an affected country at the moment (in a country that's been praised for it's response). On paper, the response is more stringent than in Ireland, but you'll see daily misbehaviors from everybody from grannies, suited businessmen, college students, rich and poor.

No country or sociodemographic is going to have uniform adherence to rules unless you put the army on the street and enforce it.

Again, using this crisis to slate a section of society you have a problem with (as a poster did on this thread) is low. You'd hope he'd desist, but he's got an ideological ferret clawing away at the back of his brain, so I won't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Again, using this crisis to slate a section of society you have a problem with (as a poster did on this thread) is low. You'd hope he'd desist, but he's got an ideological ferret clawing away at the back of his brain, so I won't hold my breath.

Its like some posters are still butt hurt from the results of the elections so they try to use a public health emergency to focus on those who voted for Sinn Fein by using 'entitlement culture':rolleyes:

Of course there'll be no acknowledging that there were thousands of south county Dubliners up in the Wicklow mountains over the last three days in their brand new SUVs, some how I dont think that cohort voted for SF but in blanches mind these people arent 'entitled', only socio-economic groups that he hates are 'entitled'. The hypocrisy is dripping off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

You're a broken record who would wade into a thread about Cadbury Cream Eggs with the same 'entitlement' palaver.
    Don't get me started on that! First it was their Christmas bonus...then, their precious Cadbury Creme Egg Easter bonus! It sickens me (especially too much of the gooey bit inside.) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I see the Dubs were packing out beaches in Clare and Donegal too and the Garda had to stop people from entering them

Yeah and all the country folk up clogging up the mountains in Dublin. It was day tripper overload where we live yesterday. Ill be glad when all these walkways and parks are closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The authoritarians among us are out in full force, loving this. That video posted earlier from Italy was simply assault by a policeman, and the people cheer-leading are as bad. The health advice is clear from the experts, but it has been turned into this "#stayhome" thing by some self-declared enforcers, and they feel free to enforce their views which is quite dangerous - people have been abused for going for a walk, or standing next to their partner in a supermarket queue.

The trouble with all these approaches is eventually people start rebelling, and more and more join them. Eventually it is self-defeating.

The government approach in trying to find a middle ground is sensible. If things go to plan, excellent. If not, we can go up a level. But jumping straight to the extremes at the moment would be counter-productive, and only appeals to the mob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭robinbird

hmmm wrote: »
    The authoritarians among us are out in full force, loving this. That video posted earlier from Italy was simply assault by a policeman, and the people cheer-leading are as bad. The health advice is clear from the experts, but it has been turned into this "#stayhome" thing by some self-declared enforcers, and they feel free to enforce their views which is quite dangerous - people have been abused for going for a walk, or standing next to their partner in a supermarket queue.

The trouble with all these approaches is eventually people start rebelling, and more and more join them. Eventually it is self-defeating.

The government approach in trying to find a middle ground is sensible. If things go to plan, excellent. If not, we can go up a level. But jumping straight to the extremes at the moment would be counter-productive, and only appeals to the mob.

Exactly. Very well put. The current guidelines are based on sound medical advice and may very well be enough. If not, then perhaps more restrictive measures may be required.

What makes going out these days so nerve wracking is that the vigilantes are out in force looking for something that they can attack others for to enforce their view of what is necessary "for the common good"

So even if you are adhering to the current advice you are still liable to be attacked by self proclaimed, self appointed mini dictators who will fully self justify their actions. This is what is making the current atmosphere so toxic and poisonous and what I mean when I say that this is bringing out the worst in us.
    And I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling this tension.

Don't always agree with Varadkar but he was spot on in calling out these vigilantes today.

"I don’t think we should be berating people about this”.

He added: “If they recommend further restrictions, we will implement those further restrictions. But you know, I should say that any decision was made on further restrictions isn't going to be made because of what's trending on Twitter, or because of populism or political pressure.

“It will be made on the advice of the Chief Medical Officer, and his team of expert public health doctors and biologists, immunologists and that's as it should be.”

hmmm wrote: »
    The authoritarians among us are out in full force, loving this. That video posted earlier from Italy was simply assault by a policeman

That video was from Brazil, a country with a dark history of sinister jackboot policing. We don't even know if the context of the video was a coronavirus one. But it is a worry of mine, and I don't think an unfounded one, that we'll see bad actors taking advantage of this terrible time claim more power for their fiefdoms in weak and even not so weak states.

There ARE people posting that kinda stuff with relish though. Look at the above post quoted by Xertz.

SO much people saying such and such "will" happen. They're absolutely loving it!

It’s perverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,998 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://streamable.com/swpar

A lot of tension indeed, people are going mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 eldudebros

I don't feel any "sinister tension" whenever I go out, which is generally for a walk or the odd visit to the shops. I see people complying with social distancing measures and behaving in a civil, genial manner.

People see what they want to see. I'm not downplaying the corona virus, or the effects of it. But mother of Jesus, it has brought out the best of the doom merchants in the world. A category of people are almost willing a post apocalyptic reality to break forth. Too much TV and films addling the brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭solidasarock

SelfassuredWarmGoral-size_restricted.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

With regard to social distancing, I've actually been quite surprised at how compliant most people are. Without being prompted, I've seen passengers standing back and waiting for the person in front to pay before boarding buses. Two weeks ago, the same people would've happily trampled the bloodied corpses of their fellow commuters into the ground.

And as far as a sinister tension is concerned, yeah, if you're the kind of person who gets a hard-on at the prospect of an apocalypse, and find yourself mopping up pre-cum whenever a Garda public order unit van passes you on the street, then you're probably going to see it everywhere. Dealing with the general public, I've lost count of the number of friendly conversations I've had over the last week. Never had so many people tell me to 'mind myself' and 'stay safe' at work before.

There's a lot of genuine anxiousness and concern out there, and most people are decent. If you can't see that, and think everyone else is out for what they can get, then you're the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I'll leave it up to you what you think of people putting a not unreasonable warning on the table about the fallout of this.

You'd be foolish to think that many politicians wishing to further a narrow agenda or a pet project that would be otherwise be unpalatable wouldn't use a crisis like this to do so.

As pointed out on another thread (or perhaps this one) Orban has already tabled an indefinite 'rule by decree' motion for the attention of the Hungarian parliament. He won't be the last reflexive autocrat in this continent or others to strengthen their position off the back of this.

Judge away, I'm willing to take the bet I'll be proven more right than wrong on this when the dust has settled.
    Nothing to do with judging, or with you holding that opinion. It's the language you use - "you can bookmark this". Stating that it "will" happen. You don't know. You are scaremongering when there is enough worry about what is actually happening.
    And as far as a sinister tension is concerned, yeah, if you're the kind of person who gets a hard-on at the prospect of an apocalypse, and find yourself mopping up pre-cum whenever a Garda public order unit van passes you on the street, then you're probably going to see it everywhere. Dealing with the general public, I've lost count of the number of friendly conversations I've had over the last week. Never had so many people tell me to 'mind myself' and 'stay safe' at work before.

There's a lot of genuine anxiousness and concern out there, and most people are decent. If you can't see that, and think everyone else is out for what they can get, then you're the problem.
    Well said. It's incredible that there are some who are viewing these necessary measures as being mean to them. Their lack of acknowledgment of the devastation of the virus is self centred beyond belief. More than one "nazi" comparison too.

Nothing to do with judging, or with you holding that opinion. It's the language you use - "you can bookmark this". Stating that it "will" happen. You don't know. You are scaremongering when there is enough worry about what is actually happening.

Well said. It's incredible that there are some who are viewing these necessary measures as being mean to them. Their lack of acknowledgment of the devastation of the virus is self centred beyond belief. More than one "nazi" comparison too.

As I said, I'm willing to take the bet. Let's come back to this thread in a year and see who had their head in the sand and who was 'scaremongering'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

As I said, I'm willing to take the bet. Let's come back to this thread in a year and see who had their head in the sand and who was 'scaremongering'
    Again, not an issue with you holding the opinion.

Just with you guaranteeing "it will happen". You don't know.

In the above post, you seem like you're truly hoping it will.

Advertisement