Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinister tension in the air

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Two years has absolutely been suggested throughout the media as there is no realistic chance of a vaccine being widely distributed much before then - if a vaccine is ever found.

So to think the world can be somehow parked indefinitely because people are going to die is foolish and dangerous, and completely ignores the immense consequences of that.

I note you approve of Boris Johnson investing unlimited powers in himself for at least two years. And you don't see it as authoritarian.

Spanish police kicking people and Indian police beating people with sticks is acceptable to you. In fact some people think it's funny and ask that the Gardaí do the same. But of course those asking for these responses are "democrats". I call them what they actually are - fascists.
    Now you're moving along to the "say stuff that they didn't say" tactic. Inevitable i suppose. Not only did I not say I accept police kicking and beating people - but I said I don't agree with violence in this situation.

And I only said Johnson doesn't have much choice given the devastation this could spread, and hardly relished it. But your implication is that he's loving it.

What alternative do you suggest? Please answer.

Nobody wants it to be two years ffs. A virus isn't there the whole time from inception to vaccination.
    Anyone who doesn't swallow the 'official' media narrative is a 'conspiracy theorist'.
    As I expected it only took a few minutes for Risteard to be told to take his opinions to the conspiracy forum.
    What is the alternative? Fear, paranoia and being encouraged to mistrust everyone is not helping is it? Its only making the situation worse.
    Risteard is being disagreed with because he is not offering a jot to back up what is just a "feeling" (that it is not about the pandemic, only about oppressing us, and it means we will be oppressed all the time from now on - virus or no virus, and it was the hope all along) and making absurd comparisons with totalitarianism. There's no "official line" (implying it's a lie). It's very very clear and unambiguous what this is for.

What IS the alternative to the restrictions?

Fear, paranoia and mistrust are actually what Risteard and a few others are encouraging. And The Lives of Others? About the Stasi fitting bugging devices in people's homes? Great film but how is it comparable to restrictions as a desperate measure to slow down a devastating virus? People can still criticise the government away fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

DeanAustin wrote: »
    You're either a WUM or spouting a whole load of pseudo intellectual nonsense that doesn't stand up to any sort of scrutiny.

Absolutely nothing new there, I can assure you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Meanwhile in Rio drug traffickers have implemented a curfew in the favelas to stop the outbreak of the virus. They've also set up hand sanitisers at the entrance to their favelas so addicts coming from outside wash their hands before buying drugs
    Drug traffickers in one of Rio de Janeiro’s best-known favelas have imposed a coronavirus curfew, amid growing fears over the impact the virus could have on some of Brazil’s poorest citizens.

In recent days, as Brazil’s coronavirus death toll has climbed to 46, gang members have been circulating in the Cidade de Deus (City of God) favela in western Rio ordering residents to remain indoors after 8pm. Last weekend the low-income community – made famous by Fernando Meirelles’ 2002 blockbuster of the same name – became the first such area to record a case of coronavirus.

And in an apparent attempt to prevent further infections the Red Command gang leaders who control the favela have ordered residents to stay at home. A video apparently recorded in the City of God circulated on social media this week showing a loudspeaker broadcasting the alert: “Anyone found messing or walking around outside will be punished.”

“The traffickers are doing this because the government is absent. The authorities are blind to us,” one resident told the Guardian.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/25/brazil-rio-gangs-coronavirus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Its all going mad anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'm sorry but the fact is Leo does NOT have a mandate to act as our overlord.

And Regina Doherty doesn't even have a seat. She's not a TD. So perhaps she should get out of the way and stay under house arrest.

Regina Doherty is doing her job as a caretaker minister until a new government is formed.

Perhaps you could contact your td and ask them to push their party to join in formation of a government of national unity so that Fine Gael are no longer forced to act as caretakers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Regina Doherty is doing her job as a caretaker minister until a new government is formed.

Perhaps you could contact your td and ask them to push their party to join in formation of a government of national unity so that Fine Gael are no longer forced to act as caretakers?

No. They don't represent me. It's not a national government anyway. The Irish Nation has 32 Counties, and is a sovereign Republic proclaimed in arms at Easter, 1916.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Looney at Courtown earlier today had a huge wooden fence stake thrown out on the road to try get cars to stop, he looked off his head on drugs.... Called the Gardai as was worried he may try rob or attack someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

sure thats Courtown most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

sure thats Courtown most of the time

Beach car park closed too....

This guy was on Gorey road and trying to stop those leaving Courtown.....

It's absolutely dead out there....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Would be nice if all the morons “copped” on a bit.

Am I missing a joke here, why did this comment get 118 Thanks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

No. They don't represent me. It's not a national government anyway. The Irish Nation has 32 Counties, and is a sovereign Republic proclaimed in arms at Easter, 1916.
    Fine, they don't represent you. You or the 300 - 500 other souls on the island who think along these lines.

But the government do represent the other 4,924,614 or so people in Ireland and the vast majority of these people are happy with what is being done and the authority they have to do what they are doing at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Am I missing a joke here, why did this comment get 118 Thanks?
    It's being taken that he's referring to the appalling way people stick two fingers up to social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

jmayo wrote: »
    No what is really disrupting, concerning, worrying are the fooking muppets that think they can still what the fook they want.

Wicklow mountains have been overrun with fooking eejits mostly Dubs, and the wantabee Dubs from North Wicklow towns like Bray, who think they can just pile up into the mountains.

Worse still you had a money grabbing basta**s operating foodstalls in Glendalough upper car park, resulting in queues.

Oh and contrary to impressions by some folks here over weekend it is not owned by OPW (or the National Park), but by good old Wicklow County Council, and the guards put in barrier on Sunday to belatedly shut it downafter thousands had been through it in the previous week.
    Then again they made money out of it so shure isn't it grand. :mad:

You have muppets parking in farm gates, actually one abandoned car for while beside pedestrian crossing, and fooking off for a walk.

Then you have the idiots with dogs off leashes who might finally cop on after their precious mutt is blasted with a 12 gauge when caught in a farmers field along with their lambing ewes.

This crisis is highlighting how fooking me fein we have gotten as a society and how fooking entitled some people feel.
    I have heard the line used that people pay motor tax so they are entitled to drive where they want.
    Yes they are entitled to drive, but not to fooking park.

Jaysus, and I thought the latest shenanigans on the local cycle way were bad. We’d have locals talking utter nonsense on Facebook (seems to be the place for old Ill informed self entitled gobsh*tes to whinge lately ) always winging about cyclists on the CYCLEWAY, completely oblivious as to its purpose and why the area got a whole 40 km stretch

Anyway, would walkers be practicing social distancing while out walking ?

😂. You must be joking. Not only do they not know how to conduct themselves, their dogs and their children while out walking or doing their exercises , they wouldn’t know how the spell the term . Saw one moron on his back doing full blown stretches in a busy part of the track. Multiple groups standing in the middle have full on conversations . The odd thing, this behaviour was uncommon on a normal day, but for some reason with a Covid 19 it’s okay to be a moron

No wonder the English thought the Irish were thick (although they were probably FA Cup Winners in that department too )

robinbird wrote: »

What sort of snowflakes would get bothered by strictness ....... being enforced by anyone (no, hardly just middle aged women)

There are some selfish, edgy "I'm all right Jack" folk here who seem contented with the idea of actively helping to spread the virus.

Do you need to be told what to do or not to do instead of taking the initiative yourself?

The majority of people are being great, which actually lends itself to a positive atmosphere imo. The hostility is only being caused by people who won't co-operate.

Just saying that there is an atmosphere of intolerance that has not developed that is unhealthy. I am no longer comfortable being out in public because of it.
    And the same justifications that are being used now about the greater good are the ones that were used in Nazi Germany.

Some crisis bring out the best in people. I feel that this is bringing out the worst in us.
    Making us more intolerant, judgemental and suspicious of others.
    And changing us as a society irrevocably.

Listen, you must have spent your school days dodging the teacher’s duster. You haven’t a scooby doo as to what a Nazi is . Come back when you do some research . You can apologise to the person to whom you directed that nonsensical label to while you are at it and cop on

“Atmosphere of intolerance “

Lol. People shouldn’t tolerate morons putting other people’s lives at risk . Nor should they tolerate wafflers talking utter nonsense And using terms they do not understand, without being challenged

One unrelated example: Drink driving , it is a strict liability offence. Little to no excuses allowed or tolerated . By your logic ,this is intolerance and thus nazism

Draconian legislation is never welcome.

Everything which has been done in recent weeks is draconian and frankly illegal.

Spare us the arm chair legal expertise . While you would have a good reason to be questioning and suspicious of what legislation may have intended prior to the President signing it and concerned in light of lack of normal Dáil procedures for debate or presence (frankly that often happens ) , there is access to the bill and the final act online . What are the odds that you have even glanced on the short piece ?

Luckily, we live in a democratic nation, and you are now free to challenge this legislation in court, or if your for some reason get arrested ,can challenge the legality of said detention and arrest . It ain’t just detention and arrest either, there would also be a concern about employers who won’t or can’t reopen later and try to skip out on proper redundancy procedures (and payments) but that shall be addressed under normal existing laws

We have a long history, decades even, of our Courts being prepared to rule on what’s Constitutional or not ,should such scenarios arise later

This has happened before during the TB epidemic of the 1940s. Similar legislation. Guess what happened after ?

Go read the most recent publication of the bill and if you gets access online, the act. Explain which provision concerns you and what you deem is illegal

Don't pretend that it is a democratic statelet.

These emergency laws are fundamentally anti-democratic.

They are very fond of having their "Emergencies" - let us consider the Offences Against the State Acts, 1939-1998 as an example.

Removal of people's fundamental rights is illegal.

Dictatorships are what exists now throughout the so-called "western" world.

This will not stop the disease. Doctors and the WHO should not dictate political policy. They have no idea of the harm their diktats are causing. Unfortunately many are too blind to see this.

1. Fundamental rights are not absolute, bar the right to life (for adults)

2. When conflicting rights eg Mary’s right to life (not be be threatened by a diseased self basterd) vs John’s right to go about his business and be free from arbitrary detention (john has the disease and refuses to do what he is suppose to do ) ..then John May be detained , subsection to constant review of the authorities, which can be challenged by John in Court

As for the tosh about the Dáil and government, laughable. Read up on the Dáil rules and procedures in the event that a new government hasn’t been formed , will ya . Parliament itself, can initiate legislation, not just the “government”

This is the kind of nonsense that only a Shinner would spew

This is the kind of nonsense that only a Shinner would spew

The Provos were expelled from Sinn Féin for treason in 1986. Don't equate me with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

They are very fond of having their "Emergencies" - let us consider the Offences Against the State Acts, 1939-1998 as an example.

Still waiting on what measures you'd have taken without edging the country towards totalitarianism as per your charge against the current decision makers.

Your legal expertise is a grand total of ZERO . You are talking complete and utter rubbish and you will be successfully called out of said rubbish

If what you said is true, well, why then have the Courts be sought and successfully used by the people of Ireland (mostly people who were members or accused of being members of the IRA ) when they challenged those acts , that you most certainly know next to nothing about ?

Cox vs Ireland 1992 and Burke v Lennon 1940 are just two examples of successful challenges to provisions of the said acts .

Why stop at 1988? I will tell you and everyone else why . That’s what you found via Wikipedia lol . So internment in the South after WW2 happened when ?

The 1939 act was amended right up till 2009 (to deal with drugs gangs) ,which amended and or repealed some provisions and even restricting its use . The 1939 act itself only concerned a small class of people , people who were legitimate enemies of the State and who refused to acknowledge this State

And again, even when the cops invoked their power of arrest of suspects specified under the act, those suspects had the full recourse to the Courts to Challenge the legality of the arrest and detention. - completely under minding the utter rubbish that you vomit out . Draconian States that you clearly have a hard on for ,simply do not give those rights

No wonder people don’t take bar stool republicans seriously. It’s always hilarious about the unemployable. They saw zero interest Or need to pay attention in the 10 -15 odd years of free education and revelled in their stupidity and now they see fit to decide to re-educate themselves (b y reading a few pamphlets and Wikipedia ) and then lecture and preach such garbage as a compensation for their failures of the past

The Covid 19 legislation which you definitely did not read, is not remotely the same in words, design or aims set out by the 1939 Act. Not in the slightest .

You are way out of your league son . At the very least read the Covid act or at least the latest bill, then come back with a question or point

• Advertisement

It concerns me when everyone is prepared to parrot the State's claims without any consideration as to whether they are valid. Any power grab by the State should be of concern to people, and they have a duty to ascertain whether it is indeed in their interests or whether it's actually in the interests of those being given the powers.

It's very convenient to consider this to be a medical issue in isolation, but it completely ignores all of the knock-on effects of these actions. It can't be considered in isolation.

Only one parroting is you

Waffling without the remotest knowledge or understanding of the Offences Against the State Act 1939-2019 ,ignoring all the case law

Go find the latest edition of the Emergency Covid 19 bill online via oireachtas.ie. The final act will be available on Irish statute soon

Outline the provision that you are concerned with. State it ,here, word for word and in full (copy and paste shall suffice ) .it amends 1940s legislation so you can get that via law reform commission site , bail ii.org and or irishstatute.ie

Your claim, your allegation, prove it. Sorry Wikipedia can’t help you

Ah […] Stickies ....

The Stickies were the so-called "Official" Movement (e.g. Pat Rabbitte), so again you don't know what you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Ah, Republican Sinn Fein, Stickies ....

As for the last bit of narnia, any luck, said Leinster House will cut off your welfare . No wonder why we had the 1939 Act in the first place .

One of O’Braidigh’s lads are ya ? Bless those clowns were even more deluded

You can't argue with stupid. I admire your persistence, but you're not going to get anywhere.

You clearly know nothing about it. You make reference to "recourse to the courts" but ignore the fact that it established the "Special Criminal (sic) Court" which is a non-jury court. It also removed the right to silence in the 1998 amendment. It also increased the period people could be held without charge and allows for internment without trial to be introduced.

So you are clearly the absolutely clueless person who knows nothing about it. And I agree that there is only one Óglaigh na hÉireann. It's not the Free State army though.

Clearly know nothing about it ? Ya, the degrees and practicing certs on my wall beg to differ !

Wow .... You keep digging ,bless you are nothing without your Wikipedia

1. The legality of the Special Criminal Court, which by the way is provided by Article 38 of the Constitution, has been challenged at least 6 times (And more) since the 1970s by suspects who went to the SUPREME COURT

2. The said Legislation has been challenged multiple times ,right up to 2019

3. ANYONE who appears in the Special Criminal Court ,has and always had access to the COURT OF CRIMINAL APPEAL and to the SUPREME COURT . One of the best examples was the Nicky Kelly case . Colm Murphy was suspected of involvement in the Omagh bombing got his conviction quashed with relative ease in the court of appeal (gardai ballsed up)

There goes your argument ,utterly undermined .

4. So you have a problem with courts sitting without a jury, where there is a legitimate risk that the said jury can be tampered with or put at risk ? Explain how prosecuting the likes of a John Gilligan would work ? He didn’t even get prosecuted for half of the real crimes he was suspected of And he practically lived in Inns Quay for the past 15 years in and out of the Court of Appeal, the Supreme Court and the High Court for Judicial Review . That is NOT a sign of totalitarianism

5. Considering the IRA mob considering themselves as soldiers rather than civilians (ala prisoner of war treatment ) hilarious then that they would moan about not being treated like civilians in the Special. Not that they ever defended themselves mind you (eg Martin McGuinness ) considering their narnia notions that the 2nd Dáil ,even 50 years on, is still the only legitimate government ������

You are talking utter rubbish. You were warned earlier ,so don’t go crying . Time you shut up now .Oh look, no effort to deal with the Covid 19 legislation

Free State Army ? No such thing . Irish Free State ended in 1947 . Shame the Nordies sat on their backside when it mattered ,despite Cork having the biggest concentration of British A,Roy, RIC, Tans and Auxies and a sizeable Protest Unionist Population. Bless, the Stickies and Later the Provos were 50 years late to the party

You keep living in Narnia ,son

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Fine Gael must be happy there cant be any parades-events this year to commemorate the war of Independence.

Next year will be the 100th anniversary of the Treaty that split our Island up, has Charlie Flanagan and many other blueshirts plans to commemorate that monumental fcukup which has been a drag on the whole island since it was signed.

RSF aren't the stickies - that's Official SF and Official IRA, whom the Provos broke away from in the early 1970s.

They held similar nonsensical socialist politics , but granted, they were separate from Sinn Fein Workers Party /workers party/ democratic left

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭celt262

This thread is going well.

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Fine Gael must be happy there cant be any parades-events this year to commemorate the war of Independence.

Next year will be the 100th anniversary of the Treaty that split our Island up, has Charlie Flanagan and many other blueshirts plans to commemorate that monumental fcukup which has been a drag on the whole island since it was signed.

Why Would you have a parade to do that ? There never were many parades in the first place.! . A parade to remind every political party (and assuming Shinners still pretend to believe that they come from the 1916-1919 movement ) of their split and Civil War ? The country,(the south) united as best they can during WW2 ironically ...civil war politics is still about ..

We will probably have a proper government by December 1921 or at least another election ,so don’t be worrying about Flanagan

They don’t do the anniversary of Dáil Éireann every 19th January either , though SF played a blinder getting the Mansion House in 2009 (and then plastering the walls with giant poster portraits of Bobby Sands ,Hunger Strikers, Mairead Farrell, ya know, people who had nothing to do with 1919)

The only thing we have are the 1916 Commemorations ,which all politicians give their left bollox for just to be seen sitting in the VIP section in O’Connell Street and giving the big boy speeches in Kilmainham or the Garden . Leo is big into ****e like that

Next time we hear Shinners waffling about being connected to 1916-1919 we will just show them the decision of the Chief Justice in tHe RE Sinn Fein Trust case from 1948 just to confirm what we already know and accept

Deep down, few really give a riddlers about the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

celt262 wrote: »
    This thread is going well.

Down the rabbit hole it goes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Sinister tension in the thread

Advertisement