Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinister tension in the air

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Cetrine alergy tablets, about 3 euro over the counter
    They don't always work, at least not for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Cetrine alergy tablets, about 3 euro over the counter

Oh believe me iv'e tried everything, tablets, nasal spray, steroid injections etc..to no avail. I just live with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Oh believe me iv'e tried everything, tablets, nasal spray, steroid injections etc..to no avail. I just live with it.

Isn’t there some injection you can get that staves off hay fever for the season?
    I’m sure I have a mate or two have mentioned that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

rioting and looting in the next week if this continues,
    cabin fever is setting in bigtime

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

rioting and looting in the next week if this continues,
    cabin fever is setting in bigtime

i propose - free Netflix & Disney + to prevent it

• Advertisement

rioting and looting in the next week if this continues........

there's no shortage of food and there's plenty €€€s been thrown at people.
    I can't see any rioting or looting TBH. Probably an increase in domestic violence unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I get really bad hayfever in the coming weeks and will be sneezing like a madman, sweating like you wouldn't believe also. People will be looking at me like Prince Andrew at a 16 years school disco.
    Same here, tree pollen causes mine so birch, willow, hazel etc. anything with catkins.

Cetrine tablets keep it under control to a degree, but I still get some sniffles and a bit of a post nasal drip which makes me cough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Augeo wrote: »
    there's no shortage of food and there's plenty €€€s been thrown at people.
    I can't see any rioting or looting TBH. Probably an increase in domestic violence unfortunately.

wait till there is two hour q's and when you get in the essentials are gone,
    it will cause people who already have cabin fever to go nuts, i can see people getting annoyed already and we're only at the beginning, give it two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

it will cause people who already have cabin fever to go nuts, i can see people getting annoyed already and we're only at the beginning, give it two weeks

There’s a 10 minute queue at my local Dunnes and the shelves are full. No queue at all and full shelves in the Spar on the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Stop with the prophet of doom stuff.

Try to counter any negativity with understanding or positivity instead of feeding in to the panic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Have seen no evidence of people getting annoyed at the restrictions.

I hope patience doesn't wear thin in the way you suggest because, as you say, this is just the beginning. This will go on for several weeks and potentially months.

So in two weeks when that doesn't happen you'll come back and admit you are talking through your hoop?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

So in two weeks when that doesn't happen you'll come back and admit you are talking through your hoop?
    Don't be silly, he'll invent something else

• Registered Users Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Or maybe it'll just be you being like William Foster in Falling Down

Tazzimus wrote: »
    They don't always work, at least not for me anyway.

Throw in Nasofan as well, without overdosing on any ingredient throw everything at it. I have a chronic sneezing and sinus issue, so I’m using nasal rinses, cetrine/equivalent, nasofan. However even if I look at the sun I can start sneezing, so I have to be careful to avoid doing that. Also any brief bout of nausea/ tummy upset sets me sneezing too, as there is a vagal nerve connection there.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭yammagamma

yep people want to remember hayfever season has started with tree pollen season which starts usually in mid march then june for the grass pollen followed by weed pollen in july

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

is their sinister pollen in the air now?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,719 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

silverharp wrote: »
    is their sinister pollen in the air now?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

is it time to start putting low levels of a lithium/prozac combo in the water supply?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

LOL, As if that account will last 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭robinbird

growleaves wrote: »

The real problem is that when human societies lose their freedom, it's not usually because tyrants have taken it away. It's usually because people willingly surrender their freedom in return for protection against some external threat. And the threat is usually a real threat but usually exaggerated. That's what I fear we are seeing now. The pressure on politicians has come from the public. They want action. They don't pause to ask whether the action will work. They don't ask themselves whether the cost will be worth paying. They want action anyway. And anyone who has studied history will recognise here the classic symptoms of collective hysteria.

Hysteria is infectious. We are working ourselves up into a lather in which we exaggerate the threat and stop asking ourselves whether the cure may be worse than the disease.

Well said. What we are seeing developing here now is collective hysteria. Twitter is full of people attacking people who are not fully complying with regulations taking away our civil liberties without any proper examination as to whether the rule they are enforcing even makes sense. e.g. if someone goes for a walk 3km from their home.

robinbird wrote: »
    Well said. What we are seeing developing here now is collective hysteria. Twitter is full of people attacking people who are not fully complying with regulations taking away our civil liberties without any proper examination as to whether the rule they are enforcing even makes sense. e.g. if someone goes for a walk 3km from their home.

Twitter is also full of fúcktards.

Twitter is also full of fúcktards.

It is. But it is also a good enough indicator of the collective mood. And the mood is that anyone who has the temerity to breach or even questions the state of martial law that we have put ourselves into should be put against a wall and shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It is. But it is also a good enough indicator of the collective mood. And the mood is that anyone who has the temerity to breach or even questions the state of martial law that we have put ourselves into should be put against a wall and shot.

Martial Law?

This post could be used as evidence of the privilege which many experience while living in one of the wealthiest, securest countries in the world.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

It's a bit obvious that you don't understand the term martial law

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Simple really if you care about the elderly especially then you should do your bit and stay in to help protect them.... Hell you may even want your mum, dad, uncle, aunt, friends of those, older sisters or brothers or just friends etc....

The problem is if too many get sick at one time no health system will be able to cope....

This business to give space to others is also important but it doesn't apply to self entitled, drug addicts and scum bags......

Martial Law?

This post could be used as evidence of the privilege which many experience while living in one of the wealthiest, securest countries in the world.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Don't I? You are only permitted to walk up to 2km from your house. Police are on patrol checking ids and asking people why they are outside. There are regulations in place in relation to how close you can be to others. Large numbers are under compulsory house arrest. Their will be an app soon that we will be encouraged to "voluntarily" sign up to which will track our movements.
    This is martial law and as the judge has said just like in nazi germany we have demanded in and are enthusiastically persecuting anyone that doesn't comply.

And it is indeed a symptom of the mass hysteria that has enveloped us that so many are willfully blind to what is happening.

And if you think we have no choice take a look at a country like Sweden.

I don't think it captures the mood, to be honest.

If that was the case, everyone that is out walking would be met with negativity because of the suspicion that they might be more than 2km from home. Was out for a walk and the only people that acknowledged me, did so with a nod and a hint of a smile for giving them a wide berth.

Not saying there aren't people who react negatively to the idea that someone might circumvent the measures brought in last Friday, but I don't they capture the mood of society as a whole. A certain cohort, yeah but not broadly speaking.

People will argue stupid points all the time online and especially on Twitter. And it can be a right cesspit.

Or maybe I'm just in an echo chamber that represents a minority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Dublin 8 here. Yet to see a cop on the street. I have seen random acts of kindness by the most unlikely of characters. So anyone mentioning jackboots on the street, curfews, arrest without charge must think martial law is some sort of Avengers character. Enjoying my midnight strolls and lazy lie-ins though.

Advertisement