Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinister tension in the air

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Things are turning out there alright. Was driving through Knocknacarra awhile ago and there was a lad buck naked jogging down the footpath in the pissing rain.
    Got a whatsapp after of him being arrested the poor bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Shops, coffee shops and pubs boarding up around the city.

I'll provide the inevitable Simpsons snippet on this thread. Just watch cartoons OP.

https://youtu.be/zw220bx88WA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

I get that but its lending itself to a toxic atmosphere. Needs to be a lockdown. Was just in Frascatti, place is jammed.

If you didn’t go to Frascatti, it wouldn’t have been so jammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

urgelgru wrote: »
    Was in Aldi for a few things this morning and definitely felt the tension in the air. Couldn't wait to get home!

We haven't got our social distancing sorted in work yet but at least we all know each other and we can at least cut the tension with jokes STOP STANDING TOO CLOSE TO ME! etc.

I'm finding work to be very tense, suspicion that others are infected, some ignoring distancing and washing rules, nervous anxiety, not a comfortable place to be, can see blow ups soon, me included

• Advertisement

You lot are missing the point. This energy of monitoring what everyone is doing or not doing is starting to fester. Feel like I'm living in Nazi Germany.

You even provided the Nazi reference yourself.

Threads like yours always have Nazi and Simpsons references.
    Time for you to dig out these Warlord / Battle / Victor comics OP

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Seems to be a certain type of middle aged woman who loves enforcing new societal rules..."Um, excuse me, can you please keep your distance during this time!"..said some crank to me in the queue for Starbucks this morning. Get a grip love.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Parents need to parent.

By the way - isn't just working class areas either. Was in Clontarf this morning and kids and late teens hanging around outside shops. The exact area people need to pass.

A lot of parents , who should know better are actaully going to get us all locked down - feckers.

As for people bringing kids into a shop - jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

You even provided the Nazi reference yourself.

Threads like yours always have Nazi and Simpsons references.
    Time for you to dig out these Warlord / Battle / Victor comics OP

Varadker paraphrasing Churchill probably didn't help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Seems to be a certain type of middle aged woman who loves enforcing new societal rules..."Um, excuse me, can you please keep your distance during this time!"..said some crank to me in the queue for Starbucks this morning. Get a grip love.

She doesnt sound like a crank if thats how she asked you in fairness. I'd do the same because I value my life, that of my unborn child and the lives of my elderly parents. I dont care if I bruise the ego of some denier queueing for his frappucino.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

Kids know damn well..... Seriously they're told everything in school and at home....

If nobody knows about this then they're living off the grid.

There were and are kids going around terrorising others especially the elderly while touching them and shouting Corona virus.....

Tension is definitely out there, see many confused wandering around.

These reports of kids doing this makes my blood boil... it's the one thing that would draw me out of quarantine is a community approach to stop these gurriers. Can't believe that they would find this amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

When people bring up Nazi Germany for their own trivial issues I always feel like they belittle the terrible crimes against humanity that actually happened.

On topic, I don't feel any particular tension out there but we do keep to the house almost all the time now.
    In shops when we have to go there isn't much difference other than people standing away from each other.
    No-one is nervous or glancing sideways at others, as far as I can tell anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭urgelgru

I'm finding work to be very tense, suspicion that others are infected, some ignoring distancing and washing rules, nervous anxiety, not a comfortable place to be, can see blow ups soon, me included

I was due to move to a different office next Monday but they've asked me to hold on a couple of days while they sort out their own social distancing policy.

I'm definitely nervous about arriving in to a whole new gang of people and they're probably not thrilled about me coming in either!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

Antares35 wrote: »
    She doesnt sound like a crank if thats how she asked you in fairness. I'd do the same because I value my life, that of my unborn child and the lives of my elderly parents. I dont care if I bruise the ego of some denier queueing for his frappucino.

I think perspective needed though if your still in a q in Starbucks... I mean just make your coffee at home

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Antares35 wrote: »

Easy to whip impressionable people up into hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Wouldn't it be great if people just used a bit of cop on and respected the guidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

I think perspective needed though if your still in a q in Starbucks... I mean just make your coffee at home

And there in lies the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Floppybits

There is a tension and it is being brought on by the teenagers, who should know better and probably do know better, acting like C**TS. They have heard the news and warnings and yet ignore them and continue to hang out in groups which is starting to really p*ss people off, it will come to a situation that someone is going to lash out at these idiots. Especially the idiots that the OP mentioned who were touching people and shouting Coronavirus at them. People are scared enough especially elderly and Parents of teenagers need to step up and keep them in. People are on edge and soon they will start confronting those teenagers and it is not going to end well on either side. Then again that is maybe what some teenagers want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Kids know damn well..... Seriously they're told everything in school and at home....

If nobody knows about this then they're living off the grid.

There were and are kids going around terrorising others especially the elderly while touching them and shouting Corona virus.....

Tension is definitely out there, see many confused wandering around.

Oh give me a ****ing break... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Honestly, I quarantined for 2 weeks, and was enjoying life at home, but my job still exists so decided to just go for it and work so I wouldn't be a drag on the countries resources. But coming out to the real post Corona world has been such an eye opener. It's a horrible buzz at the minute, really. Can't wait until this all blows over. I feel like a tit working a non-essential job but at same time, have my reasons.

I believe the best thing to do would be to call for a lockdown. It would put people like myself on zero hour contracts mind at ease.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Why should he show a bit of patience? The virus won’t go “ah sure they’re only idiotic teenagers - give them a break!” It will just infect them as it’s a mindless pathogen that just sees fresh hosts.

If people aren’t going to observe a bit of cop on while we are trying to find a solution to this, they need to be told off. That’s the only way this message is going to get though and that’s unfortunate, but that’s where we are now.

Failure to take this seriously is no different from driving around outside a school lost in Facebook posts. It’s selfish, ignorant behaviour and needs to be called out.

The worker apologised to me for 'the wait' and I was like 'it was good to see it being enforced' but it's just the general atmosphere I'm talking about. It's all adding up to create a **** weird atmosphere out there. And it's weird because the outside world has never looked better. Such dissonance.

What is someone(The Middle Aged Women) who obviously is paying great heath to social distancing doing in a Starbucks? Hypocrite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

It is weird but the situation is weird. All you can do is take it easy and keep going. We’ll eventually get back to some kind of normality again. It’ll probably when anti viral drugs that work suddenly become available.

Yeah, I've seen people freaking out at people for just going to work like.. everyone still has bills and everything like.. the people working in shops and that supply the shops you go to can't stop..I was kind of surprised how quickly people kind of turned on each other like tbh.. you would have hoped that would be the last thing to go..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Seen a teller in Jervis St Boots lose it with a girl who wouldn't stand at the yellow line. The girl was a young Polish girl I think and had no idea what was being yelled at her. Security came over and tried to explain why she was being yelled at by a masked teller who had now backed up against the wall. I made sure to stand well back when it was my turn I can tell ya. The line was over a metre from the counter and so you had to lean across and almost throw the items onto the counter. She had to stretch out to hand me the card machine as I entered my pin, whilst I tried hard not to step over the line . Felt like I was in an old episode of the Crystal Maze.

What a time to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I haven't seen this sinister tension as you put it but if there are people who are not adhering to social distancing then they should be called out on it. Some people just will not and carry on like without regard for anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

tdf7187 wrote: »
    All the animals come out at night.

Was walking the dog last night. About 10. Nobody around, no cars, no people, as I approached a turn off, I looked up it to see five dogs walking down the middle of the road together toward us. I stopped & then they did & we just looked at each other for a couple of seconds before I decided to go.

Looked back & they were walking toward us again.

Kind of spooked me & the mutt (he's just had surgery).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Dogs need to be walked. Essential shoos and services need to continue.
    Some people need to go out in the fresh air even if only for a change of scenery.

If everyone who's convinced everyone else is infected calmed down then things would move
    along nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Parents are now seeing why their teachers and neighbours dislike Luke.

Advertisement