Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinister tension in the air

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

robinbird wrote: »
    Don't I? You are only permitted to walk up to 2km from your house. Police are on patrol checking ids and asking people why they are outside. There are regulations in place in relation to how close you can be to others. Large numbers are under compulsory house arrest. Their will be an app soon that we will be encouraged to "voluntarily" sign up to which will track our movements.
    This is martial law and as the judge has said just like in nazi germany we have demanded in and are enthusiastically persecuting anyone that doesn't comply.

And it is indeed a symptom of the mass hysteria that has enveloped us that so many are willfully blind to what is happening.

And if you think we have no choice take a look at a country like Sweden.

There is a worldwide pandemic ongoing. Or do you even know that?
    For the love of god, your post reads like a sample article submitted with an application to the Express or the Daily Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Dublin 8 here. Yet to see a cop on the street. I have seen random acts of kindness by the most unlikely of characters. So anyone mentioning jackboots on the street, curfews, arrest without charge must think martial law is some sort of Avengers character. Enjoying my midnight strolls and lazy lie-ins though.

Exactly and even if they wanted to they would have to import the troops....

Nobody likes it, I'm out driving all over the city and its strange, very strange and unbelievably quiet.....

So many crazies going around too which is worrying in itself.

These people will become desperate and try and get money different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Dublin 8 here. Yet to see a cop on the street. I have seen random acts of kindness by the most unlikely of characters. So anyone mentioning jackboots on the street, curfews, arrest without charge must think martial law is some sort of Avengers character. Enjoying my midnight strolls and lazy lie-ins though.

I've been out a few times and have seen plenty of Gardaí and several checkpoints. D8/D12 area.

So many crazies going around too which is worrying in itself.

These people will become desperate and try and get money different ways.

Folk addicted to hard drugs who relied on begging to fund their habits will be in awful distress now that we are 4 days into the extra measures. Very grim for them. House breakins are a no no as most houses are occupied so that's another potential revenue stream more or less off limits. So too shoplifting.

Augeo wrote: »
    Folk addicted to hard drugs who relied on begging to fund their habits will be in awful distress now that we are 4 days into the extra measures. Very grim for them. House breakins are a no no as most houses are occupied so that's another potential revenue stream more or less off limits. So too shoplifting.

Post offices, shops full of money and plenty of people collecting money as targets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

It's a period of detox for them so!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

There is a worldwide pandemic ongoing. Or do you even know that?
    For the love of god, your post reads like a sample article submitted with an application to the Express or the Daily Mail.

Maybe that's what Hitler said?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

/\/ollog wrote: »

Maybe, if the 70 Billion books, articles, documentaries and movies on Hitlers rise to power coincidentally forgot to mention his actions were in response to the widespread pandemic of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

And if you think we have no choice take a look at a country like Sweden.

What's so great about Sweden? They have twice our population but three times the covid death toll

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

People are panicking and acting like we're living in a worse case scenario.

Had some Karen attempt to give me an earful on Sunday for not being 2mtrs away from her when I walked past her with my kids. The look on her husbands face was that defeated one only husbands of these type of women seem to sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

keano_afc wrote: »

Had some Karen attempt to give me an earful on Sunday for not being 2mtrs away from her when I walked past her with my kids. The look on her husbands face was that defeated one only husbands of these type of women seem to sport.

Maybe she's worried.

Maybe she has a condition that puts her at a much higher risk than you.

Maybe a loved one has a condition that puts them at a much higher risk than you.

You might not be worried about it but that doesn't mean that others shouldn't be. They might have good reason to be.

A bit less sneering wouldn't go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Why weren't you 2 meters away?
    You are supposed to be 2 meters away, for their sake and also yours.

Edit, actually I think minimum is 1 meter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

noodler wrote: »
    Amazing.

Well done the shopkeeper.

Shame he has to do the parents' job

Well, as we all know, kids will do EXACTLY what their parents say when the parents aren't there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Maybe she's worried.

Maybe a loved one has a condition that puts them at a much higher risk than you.

You might not be worried about it but that doesn't mean that others shouldn't be. They might have good reason to be.

Maybe, maybe, she's a complete over reactor?

Maybe, maybe, she's a complete over reactor?

Maybe. But maybe she isn't. If you don't know, don't treat her as one. A lot of people are anxious right now so people should exercise a little more understanding than would otherwise be necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Maybe. But maybe she isn't. If you don't know, don't treat her as one. A lot of people are anxious right now so people should exercise a little more understanding than would otherwise be necessary.

Maybe she should stay in then, if passing other people is so risky to her.

Bruthal wrote: »
    Maybe she should stay in then, if passing other people is so risky to her.

I didn't say it was necessarily risky to her.

Some people are anxious. And some of those might get a bit freaked about someone being closer than the 2m we're supposed to be.

Not saying she was right to give an earful but there may be reasons for it.

Some people could exercise a little more understanding than to just label them a Karen and that type of woman based on what might be the reaction of someone who has a reason to be more anxious in the current climate than others.

That's all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

keano_afc wrote: »

Had some Derek walk by me with bunch of kids on Sunday, like a incosiderate parent, putting himself and his children at risk. He doesn't seem to understand the restrictions in place and but blames other people for wanting said restrictions to be respected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

Maybe, if the 70 Billion books, articles, documentaries and movies on Hitlers rise to power coincidentally forgot to mention his actions were in response to the widespread pandemic of the time.

I'm sure he thought just the act of certain people existing was a pandemic, wrongly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Feels a bit like the shining out there at the moment. There is such a nervous energy, can see people turning on each other, or at least a certain type of person.

Saw a shop clerk boss around a few kids for not keeping social distancing. The tone was completely over the top. These kids don't know what's going on, some patience with them for fock sake.

I don't know what a shop clerk is :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

tdf7187 wrote: »
    All the animals come out at night.

Resistance is futile.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHSPVNbF5lY

Sublime :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Tension....what tension? CORONAVIRUS BLOODY BAT EATING CHINESE ARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHN

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

there's a sinister tension in my pants

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭robinbird

I'm sure he thought just the act of certain people existing was a pandemic, wrongly so.

Hitler was a germaphobe. He got the germans into a hysterical frenzy by convincing them that there was an infestation that had to be gotten rid of.
    And that any action needed to get rid of the disease was justified.
    Not that different.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭robinbird

Maybe she's worried.

Maybe she's just another intolerant fascist that is relishing the opportunity to enforce whatever law she is told is necessary without question.

Maybe she's just another intolerant fascist that is relishing the opportunity to enforce whatever law she is told is necessary without question.

Sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

There's more important things to worry about rather than junkies having to go cold turkey, they are a scourge they way they pester people for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

I haven't been knowingly tense, but must be a little.

Started watching Peaky Blinders and am on Season 1, episode 2. The aunt is telling pregnant Ada to go to Cardiff, to well, you know. Anyway, when she said it, I thought "but what about the lockdown?".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Most people here in London are FINALLY starting to get it, but there's always a few. Today, it was my housemate, who bawled the head off me for suggesting we walk out into the (empty) road to avoid passing a woman coming the other way too closely (not even a metre).

He called me OTT and paranoid and stormed off leaving me to finish the walk alone. All because I dared to remind him that we are really supposed to give people plenty of space when possible, and it was possible. Not like we were in a crowded shop or on a train. Moving was really no trouble, and as much for the other person's benefit as for ours - the lady was quite elderly.

I noticed on the rest of my walk that almost everyone walked out into the road to avoid me, if I didn't move to do it, so at least not everyone here is a selfish, obstinate moron.

• Advertisement

there's a sinister tension in my pants

You can get cream for that.....

Craps hotline can help also....

Advertisement