Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinister tension in the air

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,406 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Dogs need to be walked. Essential shoos and services need to continue.
    Some people need to go out in the fresh air even if only for a change of scenery.

If everyone who's convinced everyone else is infected calmed down then things would move
    along nicely.

Dog is keeping me sane

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

What is someone(The Middle Aged Women) who obviously is paying great heath to social distancing doing in a Starbucks? Hypocrite.

This is spot on - if you are entering into an unnecessary action - you take your own chances. A bloody Starbucks , deserve Covid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I think we are going to have to accept that a lot of people are very stressed, particularly those still having to work who might have someone vulnerable at home. It must be a constant worry that you'll bring the virus back with you.

I'm happy enough to hear that people are enforcing social distance, even if they're a little over the top. By speaking up and saving themselves they're also going to save others by ensuring dozy people who couldn't care less are forced to take notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Oh give me a ****ing break... :rolleyes:

Ok have a KitKat.....

I'm out all day or night depending on shift....

Not making anything up and not one that has any interest in spreading rubbish.....

Just my opinion and what I see things are changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Feels a bit like the shining out there at the moment. There is such a nervous energy, can see people turning on each other, or at least a certain type of person.

Saw a shop clerk boss around a few kids for not keeping social distancing. The tone was completely over the top. These kids don't know what's going on, some patience with them for fock sake.

Had the same experience this morning. Felt the staff didn’t want me in the shop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I ****ed up my opening post. It makes it seem like I think kids should be hanging like normal or the shop clerk was out of line. I appreciate his efforts but that hostile type of atmosphere is seeping into a lot of areas now. Panic is rising. I normally am a pretty cas(ual) majal type of guy but even Im feeling the tension and anxiety.

The kids need to act responsibly(they're about 9) and appreciate the guys civic duty, he wasn't a prick to the kids but I just feel, the lack oF understanding that kids will be kids is missing. The guy was right, but that same hostility can be seen elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

bilston wrote: »
    Depends on the age of the kids. If they are teenagers then they should better...different if they are 8 or 9 but presumably they would have been there with parents who should tell them what to do.

Did you never go to the shops without a parent when you were 8?

Antares35 wrote: »
    Social distancing can save thousands of lives. A shop clerk is risking exposure every moment they spend in store. If the kids are old enough to be out alone they should absolutely know what is going on. If they dont know whats going on they should be kept at home or under the proper supervision and control of a responsible adult.

At this point in time, lives are more important than social pleasantries.

Spoken like a model citizen of the State.

Spoken like a model citizen of the State.

Which is what everyone needs right now. Not some self proclaimed rebel endangering everyone around them.

Antares35 wrote: »
    The only thing festering is a highly transmissable and potentially lethal virus being spread by the very kind of idiotic behaviour the shop clerk was calling these kids out on.

Oh FFS man use your head. Do you know if this 2 metre distance thing has ANY effect? No but you'll say "Oh but it is to save lives...Wahhhh". How do you observe this 2 metre exclusion zone around people on public transport?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

I ****ed up my opening post. It makes it seem like I think kids should be hanging like normal or the shop clerk was out of line. I appreciate his efforts but that hostile type of atmosphere is seeping into a lot of areas now. Panic is rising. I normally am a pretty cas(ual) majal type of guy but even Im feeling the tension and anxiety.

The kids need to act responsibly(they're about 9) and appreciate the guys civic duty, he wasn't a prick to the kids but I just feel, the lack oF understanding that kids will be kids is missing. The guy was right, but that same hostility can be seen elsewhere.

Well given the time we are in now, kids being kids isn’t an excuse. We have reports in limerick of groups of them spitting on random people or coughing on them, or spitting on handles of shopping trolleys.

Safest advice is this - keep your kids indoors and don’t listen to any bull**** from them about going to a friends house or anything else. And I say that simply because of the threat that exists to them now - if some young fella regardless of age comes up to me in the street and spits or coughs at me you will be getting him home minus teeth and with 2 new shiny black eyes. Keep them indoors for their own safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Oh FFS man use your head. Do you know if this 2 metre distance thing has ANY effect? No but you'll say "Oh but it is to save lives...Wahhhh". How do you observe this 2 metre exclusion zone around people on public transport?

Even without scientific evidence, any imbecile can work out that 2m is better than half a metre or touching.

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Well given the time we are in now, kids being kids isn’t an excuse. We have reports in limerick of groups of them spitting on random people or coughing on them, or spitting on the handles of shopping handles of trolleys.

Safest advice is this - keep your kids indoors and don’t listen to any bull**** from them about going to a friends house or anything else. And I say that simply because of the threat that exists to them now - if some young fella regardless of age comes up to me in the street and spits or coughs at me you will be getting him home minus teeth and with 2 new shiny black eyes. Keep them indoors for their own safety.

If I seen one at the likes of that at all, the 2m would be out the window for a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Quite simple, stay back, keep distance and sit apart, open a window or 2 also would be a good thing I think....

Downstairs should be kept for elderly or those that can't make it up the stairs even if going short distance everyone else go upstairs.

I as a driver won't be allowing huge numbers on anyway if there were that many out there but there isn't at the moment.

nelly17 wrote: »
    I relish life Thanks

10,000 worldwide have died fronm this thing. In 2017 1.6 million people died from TB. You must want a lockdown for the rest of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

If I seen one at the likes of that at all, the 2m would be out the window for a few minutes.

Okay well if you're going to assault someone on the street remember to wear gloves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

growleaves wrote: »
    Okay well if you're going to assault someone on the street remember to wear gloves!

Na as long as you wash them afterwards you’ll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I know I did, but there wasn't a dangerous virus on the go at the time. I know my parents wouldn't have allowed me in that situation, for my own good as well as other people's.

Today, I went to the shops for the first time since Monday. I went to Lidl, which was fairly packed, and while there wasn't a sinister tension, I found a tension manifested itself in a wariness more than anything. Despite all the people, it was very quiet as if nobody wanted to speak.

On the way back, I dropped into Spar where I caught the tail-end of some lad (probably 25-30) having go at the girl behind the counter in the deli. It was something to do with people leaning on the glass display/counter. He finished his aggressive advice with "You can thank Google for that!!!". :D :pac: :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

10,000 worldwide have died fronm this thing. In 2017 1.6 million people died from TB. You must want a lockdown for the rest of your life.

Wait till it hits Africa.

• Advertisement

Not during a Pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Most of those 1.6 million lived in countries with little or no health service, there's been a vaccine for TB since the fifties.

vriesmays wrote: »
    Wait till it hits Africa.

Does it have to hit Africa now that we can’t go there to spread it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Feels a bit like the shining out there at the moment. There is such a nervous energy, can see people turning on each other, or at least a certain type of person.

Saw a shop clerk boss around a few kids for not keeping social distancing. The tone was completely over the top. These kids don't know what's going on, some patience with them for fock sake.

Were they toddlers? Otherwise he was correct

• Registered Users Posts: 28,571 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That 10,000 is at the very beginning of an illness that will increase exponentially. 1.6m could seem like a very modest figure by the end of the year - but it is possible to keep it down by observing all the suggested precautions.

And it is becoming clear that it is not just aul wans and immuno-compromised people who are dying; younger, healthy people are also dying of it. My own experience of going to get groceries was of a very careful, relatively low number of people acting in a totally civilised and concerned way. However, I would not hesitate to tell anyone who was behaving in a way that threatened me to cop on. I would rather be alive than cool and edgy.

looksee wrote: »
    That 10,000 is at the very beginning of an illness that will increase exponentially. 1.6m could seem like a very modest figure by the end of the year - but it is possible to keep it down by observing all the suggested precautions.

And it is becoming clear that it is not just aul wans and immuno-compromised people who are dying; younger, healthy people are also dying of it. My own experience of going to get groceries was of a very careful, relatively low number of people acting in a totally civilised and concerned way. However, I would not hesitate to tell anyone who was behaving in a way that threatened me to cop on. I would rather be alive than cool and edgy.

I'm still only hearing about a handful of "younger" people dieing from it.

Ok, not a handful, bit a tiny, tiny proportion of the Italy deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

It seems pointless insisting on limited customer numbers in some shops and social distancing and then have people queueing outside in a cluster.

Most people will adhere to suggestion of staying apart, some won't, done aren't even aware.

Same as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I agree with the OP, there’s a horrible sense of anger when you walk past people in the supermarket - almost like ‘how dare you exist’. Everyone out for themselves, it’s really unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

He was dead right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Multipass wrote: »
    I agree with the OP, there’s a horrible sense of anger when you walk past people in the supermarket - almost like ‘how dare you exist’. Everyone out for themselves, it’s really unpleasant.

I'm not surprised to hear that. Even a couple of weeks ago there was a greedy / panic buy vibe. I haven't been out all week because of self isolating so I'd expect it's more desperate , almost nefarious atmosphere

Advertisement