Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinister tension in the air

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Does it have to hit Africa now that we can’t go there to spread it?

Already landed, will Varadkar send Ireland's African doctors back home to help before millions die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Can see America blowing a gasket. The NRA gun videos being released are outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

urgelgru wrote: »
    Was in Aldi for a few things this morning and definitely felt the tension in the air. Couldn't wait to get home!

We haven't got our social distancing sorted in work yet but at least we all know each other and we can at least cut the tension with jokes STOP STANDING TOO CLOSE TO ME! etc.

Sounds like a fun workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Great horse.

What the hell's a esrohtaerg? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

tdf7187 wrote: »
    It's the old adage, a small amount of power is a dangerous thing. All the security guards in the world are enjoying this. The only valid reason to chose such a career is because you failed the test to get into the police, let's face it.

Well, some of security are ex Army and Gardai too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Can see America blowing a gasket. The NRA gun videos being released are outrageous.

https://twitter.com/NRA/status/1241418470341980167?s=19

It might blow a gasket, but it won't be the NRA, historically it wasn't the NRA rioting, but either race groups or left groups like occupy, or antifa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

I was thinking everyone was pulling together reasonably well until this mornig.
    My workplace have shut up shop for a few weeks and we'd have sanitizer in stock that we'd only use sparingly.
    A pal of mine works in a local mini market and they were all out so I said I'd get them a bottle or 2 to have at the counter to tide them over.
    Dropped 2 bottles in this morning and got a text and hour later to thank me and asking was there any chance I could get more.
    I replied saying it shouldn't be a problem but the 2 were hardly gone already?
    One had been left behind the counter for themselves and another on the counter for the customers. The one elft.in the counter had been robbed within 10 minutes of being left there apparently.
    People really have no manners:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

What sort of snowflakes would get bothered by strictness regarding social distancing being enforced by anyone (no, hardly just middle aged women) when they are people having to work near a lot of people every day in essential services and then returning home to family and possibly a member or members with health conditions such as cancer, asthma, diabetes, cystic fibrosis, or who are very old or undergoing chemo, or pregnant.

There are some selfish, edgy "I'm all right Jack" folk here who seem contented with the idea of actively helping to spread the virus.

It's showing no sign of abating in Europe - all it is is spreading rapidly (but this is just hysteria apparently) - so you never know what the death toll could be ultimately but something something about the figures for a previous illness (which wasn't a pandemic). Can only hope hot weather in African/middle eastern/South Asian countries is stopping it gaining a foothold there.

And the sticking it to the man stuff about people being on power trips (a charming dig at security guards too) or model state subjects. Yeah, that's the only reason for it. There's no issue really.

Imagine still being in that much denial about a pandemic/potentially deadly illness. Thank goodness for their edginess and cool attitood - that'll really see us through.

Nobody said social distancing can always be completely avoided by the way - obviously that's impossible - so therefore it should always be put in practice when it is possible. Pigheadedness is the only reason not to. OP why are you waiting for a lockdown? Do you need to be told what to do or not to do instead of taking the initiative yourself?

The majority of people are being great, which actually lends itself to a positive atmosphere imo. The hostility is only being caused by people who won't co-operate.

And no OP, you do not feel like you're living in nazi Germany. Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Feels a bit like the shining out there at the moment. There is such a nervous energy, can see people turning on each other, or at least a certain type of person.

Saw a shop clerk boss around a few kids for not keeping social distancing. The tone was completely over the top. These kids don't know what's going on, some patience with them for fock sake.

If anyone doesn't know at this stage how serious this is they deserve to be spoken to like fcuking fools, kids included. Patience was for 2 weeks ago and I've absolutely no time for it now. Well done the shop boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

There are some selfish, edgy "I'm all right Jack" folk here who seem contented with the idea of actively helping to spread the virus.

No there aren't.

For instance I've adhered to social distancing guidelines without fail. I simply object to people losing their marbles.

I've only had one person bark at me in real life and I put them in their place, the same way I would if someone shouted at me under 'normal' conditions.

No one has licence to act in a strident way just because they believe in their head they are 'saving lives'. Its important to nip authoritarianism in the bud now because down the line there could be scapegoating and all sorts of other bad consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭SuspectZero

Has the tone of this thread not proved the OP's point? People almost taking eachothers heads off over posts on the internet. One extreme point in return to another. It's not that hard to be pleasant and get a point across, instead, the extremism is like poking an already riled up bear and everyone is within an inch of chewing out eachother.

some people are been dicks by getting aggresive almost straight away with people who slightly invade space.

Some people are been dicks by deliberately getting in peoples personal space.

both sides are capable of been dicks and the aggresion is getting no one anywhere. I know myself even though I'm trying to be aware of the guidelines, sometimes my mind runs on auto-pilot and I forget about it as it's like trying to train an old dog new tricks, trying to overwrite 30 years of programming in 2 weeks. If some dude gets snarky with me because I accidently walked too close for a split second, I'm going to think he's a holier than thou dick.

In the same way, If someone gets in my space and keeps pressing after I show a few signs of discomfort and have to ask politely for him to move back, anything after that and he's a selfish dick.

There is an inbetween ground just like there is with pre-corona personal space. Raging and reacting like you someone is going to kill your family and thousands of people by standing accidently 4 feet for a few seconds instead 6 feet is the most extremist reaction possible, as is some dude saying fook everyone else, I'm going to deliberately stand in everyone's face. People will generally react better to pleasant replies which still get the point across. The tension I've seen on here particularly is almost at boiling point and it will only mnifest more here and IRL if people continue to be dicks to each other on both sides. aggression only further polarises people.

Has the tone of this thread not proved the OP's point? People almost taking eachothers heads off over posts on the internet. One extreme point in return to another. It's not that hard to be pleasant and get a point across, instead, the extremism is like poking an already riled up bear and everyone is within an inch of chewing out eachother.

some people are been dicks by getting aggresive almost straight away with people who slightly invade space.

both sides are capable of been dicks and the aggresion is getting no one anywhere. I know myself even though I'm trying to be aware of the guidelines, sometimes my mind runs on auto-pilot and I forget about it as it's like trying to train an old dog new tricks, trying to overwrite 30 years of programming in 2 weeks. If some dude gets snarky with me because I accidently walked too close for a split second, I'm going to think he's a holier than thou dick.

In the same way, If someone gets in my space and keeps pressing after I show a few signs of discomfort and have to ask politely for him to move back, anything after that and he's a selfish dick.

There is an inbetween ground just like there is with pre-corona personal space. Raging and reacting like you someone is going to kill your family and thousands of people by standing accidently 4 feet for a few seconds instead 6 feet is the most extremist reaction possible, as is some dude saying fook everyone else, I'm going to deliberately stand in everyone's face. People will generally react better to pleasant replies which still get the point across. The tension I've seen on here particularly is almost at boiling point and it will only mnifest more here and IRL if people continue to be dicks to each other on both sides. aggression only further polarises people.

This is boards, people have been taking each other’s heads off for nothing for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I ****ed up my opening post. It makes it seem like I think kids should be hanging like normal or the shop clerk was out of line. I appreciate his efforts but that hostile type of atmosphere is seeping into a lot of areas now. Panic is rising. I normally am a pretty cas(ual) majal type of guy but even Im feeling the tension and anxiety.

The kids need to act responsibly(they're about 9) and appreciate the guys civic duty, he wasn't a prick to the kids but I just feel, the lack oF understanding that kids will be kids is missing. The guy was right, but that same hostility can be seen elsewhere.

Agreed. The distancing thing I'm skeptical. In the Netherlands in supermarkets there's no such stipulation. Does the bug have a shorter flight range in Holland than in Ireland? Leaving that aside there's no need to be stroppy. Once certain people get a bit of authority they become assholes like those US TSA dickheads. They're glorified cinema ticket attendants and they act like friggin concentration camp guards.

growleaves wrote: »
    No there aren't.
    Yes there are. I wasn't referring to you anyway.

Why did someone bark at you? And people can of course be strident - they could be under horrendous worry. Bear in mind the different situations people are in. It's not "normal" circumstances so why compare it to that?

I wouldn't yell either - I'd just ask politely. But I say fair play to those who are more forceful if people are really acting the bollox. There are sh1theads at work coming right up to others for the chats, and coughing and sneezing without covering their mouths. When they're in my vicinity I ask them nicely and politely if they'd bear in mind social distancing. It does **** all so a bollocking from someone more senior might be the way to go.

Worrying about authoritarianism in such an exceptional and serious situation - seriously arseways priorities.

These are private citizens and commercial organisations. If the government sends troops onto the streets brandishing machine guns, then it would be worrying authoritarianism. And the gimps who are actively helping spread the virus are also helping the possibility of more state authoritarianism to become a reality.

I think people are genuinely afraid of catching covid19 and many are keen not to be within 2m of anyone for any time at all not to mind 15mins.... So in shops etc it's a bit edgy.
    Throw a few fncktards in the mix coughing etc and folk are edgier.

Which is what everyone needs right now. Not some self proclaimed rebel endangering everyone around them.

Spare me the hyperbole. How is questioning the government's restrictions which are at odds with restrictions elsewhere "endangering everyone around them". You have no clue how this virus is transmitted and if the 2m distancing rule has any advantage whatsoever.

The same blind head in the sand attitude is trotted out when your email is being monitored. "Oh.....it's to keep me safe"

Not being as lemming doesn't equate to being some "self proclaimed rebel"

China has had ZERO new cases for the third day running. I think we should be doing everything they did. Or do we know better because we ARE better than them?

Spare me the hyperbole. How is questioning the government's restrictions which are at odds with restrictions elsewhere "endangering everyone around them". You have no clue how this virus is transmitted and if the 2m distancing rule has any advantage whatsoever.

The same blind head in the sand attitude is trotted out when your email is being monitored. "Oh.....it's to keep me safe"

Not being as lemming doesn't equate to being some "self proclaimed rebel"

China has had ZERO new cases for the third day running. I think we should be doing everything they did. Or do we know better because we ARE better than them?

You’re crying about having to stand 2m apart and you want to do what China did? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It's not a lot to ask for someone to stand 2 meters away from the person next to them, it can take a bit longer than usual in places like aldi but these are the times we live in now.

Some of the shops here have banned kids in the last few days.

cjmc wrote: »
    I'm not surprised to hear that. Even a couple of weeks ago there was a greedy / panic buy vibe. I haven't been out all week because of self isolating so I'd expect it's more desperate , almost nefarious atmosphere
    Nah I'm at work (have to, essential service - but they have as many people possible working from home too) - otherwise I'm just buying food and went to the chemist. All is fine in shops. People are being friendly and amiable as ever, just keeping their distance, using gloves and hand sanitiser and wipes. My local Centra has those guard things up now at tills (like they have at late night garages). Good move.

The pharmacist was quite stern - would think she was a grumpy bitch under normal circumstances, but this is fine. Whatever it takes. Why would this offend someone? Thicker skins needed. And I was nice back to her and straight away she mellowed.

Only tension is caused by a minority who are glad to help spread the virus.

Yeah a little error doesn't deserve yelling. Not seeing that myself though. People are getting riled up here however by amazingly narcissistic attitudes (and agenda pushing about government/axe grinding about security guards).
    Agreed. The distancing thing I'm skeptical. In the Netherlands in supermarkets there's no such stipulation. Does the bug have a shorter flight range in Holland than in Ireland? Leaving that aside there's no need to be stroppy. Once certain people get a bit of authority they become assholes like those US TSA dickheads. They're glorified cinema ticket attendants and they act like friggin concentration camp guards.
    Skeptical about recommendations from infectious disease experts? If people don't act the selfish ****, there won't be stroppiness.

You’re crying about having to stand 2m apart and you want to do what China did? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    They actually cannot be for real. One post they're telling a pregnant woman she's being a good little state citizen. Another post they're endorsing the approach of an extremely authoritarian country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

if a group of kids on the street start touching me and shouting coronavirus and i kick one of them in the head, will i be done for assault or is it legally possible to physically defend yourself from assault by a minor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

if a group of kids on the street start touching me and shouting coronavirus and i kick one of them in the head, will i be done for assault or is it legally possible to physically defend yourself from assault by a minor?

Well it’s attempted murder if you look at what they are doing so you’re just defending yourself + no gardai on scene means they have no idea who you are so only choice is to go home to mammy and cry about the bad man who battered them out of nowhere :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think we need someone like Aunt Lydia to keep everyone in order.

190 new cases announced Thurs, 130 yesterday & 102 today..... The measures taken here seem to be working, early days of course.

China welded apartment blocks closed and forcibly put people in isolation stadiums/camps. I'd sooner we didn't do everything they did.... Do you want to eat bats etc also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

yes, though however tense it becomes out there, any type of physical violence would defeat the whole purpose. which is a good thing as it encourages restraint from extreme type of behavior. people can be angry but at a distance.

i heard on the radio of a woman who travelled despite the official advice and pleas from her daughter. i thought '' id love to slap her'' but oh...

Robsweezie wrote: »
    yes, though however tense it becomes out there, any type of physical violence would defeat the whole purpose. which is a good thing as it encourages restraint from extreme type of behavior. people can be angry but at a distance.

Well that’s a choice people will have to make themselves when out in public - the kids & teenagers should realise that age isn’t a protection at the moment, you act the bollix and you’re going to get sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

No physical violence that involves coming within 2m. We'll have to arm ourselves with crossbows.

I think we need someone like Aunt Lydia to keep everyone in order.
    Jesus even I think that's too extreme! :D :eek:

Nah in fairness most people are great. Scumbags (wherever they're from) can always be relied upon to ruin things though.

Even without scientific evidence, any imbecile can work out that 2m is better than half a metre or touching.

So would issuing gasmasks to everyone. Why 2 metres? Why not 1 metre? Why not 10 metres? And the people on here are squawking about "endangering lives" by breach that 2m limit FFS.

Why aren't these distance rules implemented everytime there's an influenza outbreak?

• Advertisement

So would issuing gasmasks to everyone. Why 2 metres? Why not 1 metre? Why not 10 metres? And the people on here are squawking about "endangering lives" by breach that 2m limit FFS.

Why aren't these distance rules implemented everytime there's an influenza outbreak?

2 metres is there so even if you sneeze there’s some distance between you and whatever misfortune is near you. And normal influenza isn’t exactly landing 1000’s in ICU or killing them in the space of the days - stop comparing this to a flu because it is anything but.

Advertisement